• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Morn

Banned
Yea the extreme WoW look won't fit with their art style.

Also Rift has armor dyes, which is something you'll never see in WoW in a million years due to their character look philosophy of wanting to be in control of how the characters look.

Hawk269

So would any of you consider it unethical in a way that when I go to take a meal break for an hour or so that I dont log off? I just stopped to eat and checked the shard status and there is a 400+ wait right now...that is like about 1 1/2 wait...so I figured I would stay logged in at the character select window but started thinking that I am screwing one of my fellow belmont brother/sister out of getting into the game.

BTW...The more I play the more I am loving the game. It is so good looking. I do think that it is a bit of a resource hog in a way. I have a AMD Phenomx4 965 running at 3.8, an Nvidia 580 Overclocked to 900mhz, 8gigs or Ram and Win7. Even with turning off Supersampling and no Edge Enhancement, Shadows to enviroment only, the AF or whatever it is to 2 and I get in open areas about 45-50fps, in Rifts as low as 17 fps, on average I figure I get about 40 fps or so. I would think with my hardware, I would of been able to be much closer to 60fps (which I do get at times).

I guess I was dreaming when I built this rig that i could run EVERYTHING at MAX EvERTHING, but sadly that is not the case, actually not close at all. To me it looks so much better with the Super sampling, but I dip to an average of about 30fps when I do that. I am thinking I should SLI the 580, but that would mean a newer PSU and another 500 bucks for the card. Anyone playing with everything at MAX (I mean everything) can share your setup to achieve that in this game?

Morn

Banned
I can max everything but Supersampling, but turn on edge smoothing, and get about 30 fps. i7, 1gig 5770, 8 gigs of RAM.

Morn said:
I can max everything but Supersampling, but turn on edge smoothing, and get about 30 fps. i7, 1gig 5770, 8 gigs of RAM.
I am on a Phenom II X3 @ 3.4ghz, 4gb of ram and a 5770. I am playing on the High setting and usually get about 40fps everywhere but in a Rift. When in a Rift the FPS drops in half to about 20.

Hawk269

Morn said:

So you have every slider to the highest level with the exception of Supersampling? I mean everything like both draw distance, shadows on everything, high level shadows etc. that AF or whatever it is as well?

Scum

1stStrike said:
Right click it and add it to your collections. Once you have a full set you can turn them in in the home city (meridian on defiants) for lucky coins which can be traded for vanity items such as funny looking hats, pets and down the road some cool mounts.
Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Morn

Banned
Hawk269 said:
So you have every slider to the highest level with the exception of Supersampling? I mean everything like both draw distance, shadows on everything, high level shadows etc. that AF or whatever it is as well?
Yup. Supersampling kills the fps entirely, dropping it to 15.

Hawk269

Morn said:
Yup. Supersampling kills the fps entirely, dropping it to 15.

Next time I load up I will do the same to see what happens. I currently have no edge enhancement or the Supersampling on, but some of the others like the AF is only at 4, shadows only on enviroment.

I am sure when a new driver comes out it should improve, but that is going to be a wait, I have a leaked version of the next beta driver, so unless the final of the one I am using adds better support for the game it is going to be a while till they improve.

Nvidia was pretty quick to improve performance for the Final Fantasy game, so I would assume with the popularity of Rift, they will be on it pretty fast...at least I hope cause i cant afford any upgrade for at least a month.

Einbroch

Banned
AceBandage said:
Finally set up my Arch/Chloro/Lock build.
MAN! There is a lot of stuff to remember!
Dude, I know.

It's so complicated. Have to apply like 3 debuffs, 4 DoTs, and roll some slows in there for good measure. And I'm only level 16!

Still, when the enemy takes like 20% extra damage, is DoT'd to hell, and is slow as a snail and it's ALL your doing...it's a good feeling.

BrettWeir

We had our first 50 on server tonight (Sunrest). Crazy. I'm 33 now...very close to 34...but UFC takes priority, then sleep.

Morn

Banned
BrettWeir said:
We had our first 50 on server tonight (Sunrest). Crazy. I'm 33 now...very close to 34...but UFC takes priority, then sleep.
That 50 will have fun trying to solo raid.

Einbroch said:
Dude, I know.

It's so complicated. Have to apply like 3 debuffs, 4 DoTs, and roll some slows in there for good measure. And I'm only level 16!

Still, when the enemy takes like 20% extra damage, is DoT'd to hell, and is slow as a snail and it's ALL your doing...it's a good feeling.

Oh yes, it's fun as hell.
It'll be a great raiding spec, at that.
Still, I can usually kill a mob my level in about 10 seconds.
The Opportunity Proc makes it overpowered.
:D

Hawk269

Some more noob questions. On a few quests, I have been given items that say they will bind on my character. Am I correct in assuming that it is a pernament thing? I am only level 12, I would think that it could not be pernament being that there are like 38 more levels to go and I am sure I will get another pair of boots or something. Anyone care to explain?

Thanks!

Hawk269

Hawk269 said:
Next time I load up I will do the same to see what happens. I currently have no edge enhancement or the Supersampling on, but some of the others like the AF is only at 4, shadows only on enviroment.

I am sure when a new driver comes out it should improve, but that is going to be a wait, I have a leaked version of the next beta driver, so unless the final of the one I am using adds better support for the game it is going to be a while till they improve.

Nvidia was pretty quick to improve performance for the Final Fantasy game, so I would assume with the popularity of Rift, they will be on it pretty fast...at least I hope cause i cant afford any upgrade for at least a month.

Well, I upped everthing and have super sampling off, but maxed out everything else and to be honest, I only noticed a slight change in the fps..of course a little lower, but it does look even better. I tihnk I can live with the fps I am now until I can afford to do another card or a new cpu. For some reason, I did not max everything else cause I was going with the notes that pop up that state AF is very GPU heavy, but going from 4 to 16 AF did not really impact the frame rate at all. What did a bit more was putting shadows to everything...that took it down a little bit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hawk269 said:
Some more noob questions. On a few quests, I have been given items that say they will bind on my character. Am I correct in assuming that it is a pernament thing? I am only level 12, I would think that it could not be pernament being that there are like 38 more levels to go and I am sure I will get another pair of boots or something. Anyone care to explain?

Thanks!
LOL it just means you can't trade the item anymore

Hawk269 said:

Thanks!

It means you can't sell it to another player.
You can only vendor it or break it down with Crafting.

TheExodu5

Banned
So since my 2500K 4.6GHz and 2x GTX 570 runs this game 'okay', I figured I'd give it a shot on my buddy's 920 @ 3.6GHz and GTX 275 to see how it ran. The framerate was certainly lower (as low as 30 on High), the game just felt so much smoother. So there it is...I think the SLI rendering method for this game is introducing microstuttering, which is making the game feel much choppier than it should when the framerate drops below 60fps.

I wanted to try SLI with my new system just to see how I liked it. It works nicely in Crysis and Metro, where I couldn't push the settings I normally could, but some games just don't play nice with it. I doubt I'll be going with a dual GPU setup in future systems.

From everything I've read, XFire and SLI just introduce more problems than it's worth for a people that are looking to push games.
Might as well just spend that money on a better GPU.

BigAT

I hit level 26 on my warrior tonight. I'm really starting to enjoy the way I have my Champion set up, I can burst out some really ridiculous damage.

I also created my second role (Paladin/Warlord tank) and had a successful time main tanking through both RotF and DD.

I'm tired.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmm. Well. When I'm running at 30ish FPS (Ultra, in Meridian), it maybe feels more sluggish. Maybe not. I'm not sure anymore.

I do get significantly higher FPS in other places though, and as long as the FPS is staying 45-50+, it feels great.

Maybe I'm just imagining things.

Swag

Are the authentication servers down? Can't seem to log in keep getting Error 2005

Edit seems like the forums are down as well.

Edit Edit : Really wierd I can access the forums on my Iphone using the same connection but not my PC hmm.

TheExodu5 said:
I wanted to try SLI with my new system just to see how I liked it. It works nicely in Crysis and Metro, where I couldn't push the settings I normally could, but some games just don't play nice with it. I doubt I'll be going with a dual GPU setup in future systems.
I'm running SLI and it feels perfectly smooth to me. However, since I haven't turned it off to compare, I can't say it's smoother than a single card setup.

Union Carbine said:
I'm running SLI and it feels perfectly smooth to me. However, since I haven't turned it off to compare, I can't say it's smoother than a single card setup.
I have a 4870x2 and on Ultra I get lucky to get 30FPS when there is no one around. In Meridian it drops to 10-15FPS and in Rifts I am lucky to get 10FPS. :|

I'm not sure whether my CPU (Core 2 E8600 3.33GHZ) or graphics card is the bottleneck.

1stStrike

Banned
Big Papa Husker said:
I have a 4870x2 and on Ultra I get lucky to get 30FPS when there is no one around. In Meridian it drops to 10-15FPS and in Rifts I am lucky to get 10FPS. :|

I'm not sure whether my CPU (Core 2 E8600 3.33GHZ) or graphics card is the bottleneck.

What harddrive are you running? People often forget that their HDD can bottleneck their system too,

TheExodu5

Banned
The hard drive might only introduce stutters while streaming...it's not going to effect performance to that extent.

Anyways, I'd just run on High if I were you. Big performance increase over Ultra, and it doesn't look much worse. Just force anisotropic to 16 afterwards.

1stStrike

Banned
I thought you guys might find this as amusing as I did. While it generally applies to my work it can also go for games as well :p

bug-feature.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So, I just went into my first of those huge Rift events, but wasn't able to really help.

My latency suddenly jumped to 15k ms, and I couldn't do anything. Three disconnects later, it was over, and my latency was back to normal.

Sounds like Trion has a lot of work to do with those, specially considering how they're the main focus of the game.

1stStrike

Banned
Brazil said:
So, I just went into my first of those huge Rift events, but wasn't able to really help.

My latency suddenly jumped to 15k ms, and I couldn't do anything. Three disconnects later, it was over, and my latency was back to normal.

Sounds like Trion has a lot of work to do with those, specially considering how they're the main focus of the game.

My latency hovers at around 90 - 110 MS in a rift. Based on your earlier comments on your connection, I'd say it's yourself that needs a better connection.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
1stStrike said:
My latency hovers at around 90 - 110 MS in a rift. Based on your earlier comments on your connection, I'd say it's yourself that needs a better connection.
I've been playing connection-heavy games for years with this connection - been through 40-man raids in WoW, and a lot of huge events in FFXI, for example - and never had any problems like this. My latency always stays at around 200 ms, no matter what's going on in the screen. I somehow doubt the problem is on my end.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah, okay, I'm definitely seeing the microstutters with the SLI setup. In one area, I'm getting 35fps with one card, and 55 with the two cards. While the 35fps one does feel a little slower, it's smooth. The 55fps setup, on the other, hand, introduces stutters. When I'm running forward, I can notice the ground below me skip at an uneven pace. As long as the framerate stays above 60 with the SLI setup, it's fine. When it drops below 60, things get blurrier. It can be smooth for a bit, but microstutters are random and can find their way in.

Microstutters occur when one card produces it's frame too late. Let's say card one produces it's frame in 0.05s, card two should introduce it's frame in between card one's first frame and it's next frame. If card two doesn't manage in time, then card one can't introduce it's second frame yet.

I'm not sure why the stutters are introduces, and why one card would render slower than the other...but it's definitely happening.

I'm still going to play with SLI, since most of the time it does feel smoother. Shame it's not a flawless experience.

Weenerz

Banned
Brazil said:
I've been playing connection-heavy games for years with this connection - been through 40-man raids in WoW, and a lot of huge events in FFXI, for example - and never had any problems like this. My latency always stays at around 200 ms, no matter what's going on in the screen. I somehow doubt the problem is on my end.

Check with your ISP them, I've done tons of Rift events and my latency hovers around 60-90ms. I'm on the East coast the Belmont is reporting it's from the West Coast, as well.

1stStrike

Banned
Brazil said:

Think about it logically. If it was a server wide issue or a client issue we would all be experiencing your problems regardless of our location. It's either a local network issue or you have a bad route to the server (in which case you need to run a traceroute to the server)

I deal with customers all day who try to say that their server is lagging when I ping 60 MS to it. Half the time these guys live in some 3rd world country and have some shitty excuse for an ISP.

Swag

I'm so annoyed, apparently it happens when the time on your computer is wrong but mine is definitely correct, I've even changed it to different time zones ( Lol Baghdad ).

Can't even get access to the forums, to post a tech support thread.

1stStrike

Banned
For those of you that may not read the LC forums regularly, I encourage you to see the following thread.

For those in the guild, I'm holding a contest to create a promo video for Lotus Cross. The first place winner will receive a $50.00 gift certificate to amazon.com. Multiple entries will be voted on by the other members of the guild.

Jupiter

Server went down while in IT, came back up for like 15 seconds then went down again. Guess i'll go out and do some errands then come back to it.

Brazil said:

Me and my friends did one last night, where the entire world went dark - we got into the largest pack of people we could find and followed them around killing things including giant bosses and dragons. No latency issues at all for any of us, using two different internet providers (Comcast and a local cable company). It's really sounding like a problem with your provider (or router I guess) since nobody else is experiencing the problem.

I'm emerging from three days of near solid leveling... I think I've found my mmo. Just finished a massive death rift invasion. Fought through 4 or 5 rifts then a steady stream of invasion forces, then while cleaing a major rift the big boss of the zone wide event spawned on us. We were doing fine until what felt like dozens and dozens of invasion forces swarmed us.
Lots dead, but I was able to catch up on the healing and namer goes down. Just crazy.

Top Bottom