• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

nataku said:
I'm doing Ranger/Bard/Marksman right now and it's working out pretty well. I'm taking down mobs and people in PvP well enough, though I really went Bard for the support. Bard healing is really powerful in Warfronts and gets me focused on pretty quickly by Guardians.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MNcf.V0o.VcdqV0k.M

I'm probably going to respect slightly to tweak what I have in Bard. I was really just throwing things in there as I leveled up, and I can see a couple things I want to try out. I'm mainly just using the bard for buffing/debuffing/healing then doing 5 point head shots, which is getting me some pretty nice hits.

I wanted to try a melee Bard too, but that seems like a bad idea for PvP.
http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MNci..qczq0VR.Vb

I am a Bard/Nightblade/Ranger right now. PvE is stupid easy and I can take up to 4-5 same levels mobs at a time and not die. PvP is also netting me a ton of kills, mad healing points and very little deaths.

Cadence is an extremely strong move as it does damage, heals and gives you combo points in a ranged attack. Having those 7 points into nightblade increases the damage of my Cadence, which in turn makes it heal for more. I am all about Cadence, it's my main move with Power Chord, followed by Coda of Wrath.

I only have ranger for the pet as it can tank and take a lot of damage for me. So far, the only thing I am thinking about doing differently, is eventually trading Ranger for Riftstalker and its planar shift abilities.

Concept17

Erasus said:
Has engine performance been improved since the beta? That, and the animations is what I was worried about.

In the beta I got about 25-30fps on medium or high (NO DIFFERENCE!?) Turned off AA and char shadows

During the last closed beta I was getting a lot of stuttering and in general poor framerate. My settings have remained mostly the same and I no longer get any stuttering and my FPS are almost always in the 40s on high settings. So as far as I can tell, things have improved.

Hixx

Got my tech problems fixed (seems I had a corrupt download of latest graphics drivers) and just finished the Guardian 1-6 area which was a lot of fun. The only thing I'm kind of bummed out about is some idiot pulled the mobs that block the hill leading to the first Rift and I'd just died exploring. By the time I got back to the corpse the Rift was almost finished. :(

Also the mounts are ridiculously large or is that just the horse you get for that quest?

Koshiba

I just started playing on Belmont. My character name is Bast, though another friend wants me to join their guild. Would still be nice to befriend some people though. :3

1stStrike

Banned
Koshiba said:
I just started playing on Belmont. My character name is Bast, though another friend wants me to join their guild. Would still be nice to befriend some people though. :3

Just look for Lotus Cross people. There's over 60 of us and usually 20 - 30+ online at a time, so you'll see us around.

Carm

Anyone able to get in game? Just disconnected, said server was offline. Now it says online but I'm stuck at 99% loading in Deepstrike Mines.

Hixx

Quick question before I pop off to bed, is there a GAF guild in Europe?

Or are we Europeans welcome in the US guild, at least?

Ashodin

HixxSAFC said:
Quick question before I pop off to bed, is there a GAF guild in Europe?

Or are we Europeans welcome in the US guild, at least?
Sure, why not. We have tons of people that play at all hours. All are welcome.

jersoc

Belmont reminds me of wow's laughing skull. what a horrible server that was for months on end until they basically upgraded it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Apparently most people who live outside of the US (I've seen examples from Israel, New Zealand, Australia, South Korea, and obviously from Brazil) are having the huge latency issues with big Rift events I reported yesterday. It seems to have something to do with ISPs.

I've sent them a report through the CS. I just hope they fix this, 'cause I've come to really like this game, but I will have to cancel the subscription if I end up staying at 40k MS during Rift bosses.

Suikoguy said:
If the game performance is not where you thought it should be, it might be worth Checking this out.
I tried many different versions, the pre-made on for 4000 series, making my own and even the Nvidia one; none of them gave me an FPS increase. I placed them in "C:\Program Files\Rift Game". Is that correct? Did anyone get any boosts from the modified DLL?

Fixed1979

TheExodu5 said:
Servers down right now? I can't even log in.

Yup patch time, probably another ~25-30.

Server Status

Edit: Locked Shards are up

Hotfix #2: 2/28/11 7:40pm PST

GENERAL GAMEPLAY
* Ancient Wardstone area quests now automatically shut down one hour after completion or failure. You will need to use your Ascended Power to reactivate the wardstone.
* Fixed a bug with last login time not saving correctly for guild members. The existing display will be updated the next time a guild member logs in.

CULT SAGA
* Forces of the Plane of Death: Changed to require sealing of any Death Rift in Freemarch for updates.
* The Means of the Endless: Drop rate of the Attunement Shard increased to 100% from the Endless Nightbringer.
* Follow That Gnar: The Gnar should be easier to follow, and not disappear from the path.

ZONES

DROUGHTLANDS
* A Hymn of Frost and Flame: Enkarus Scourge mobs spawned during this quest no longer give experience or loot.

STILLMOOR
* Past is Prologue: Quest can now be completed normally by all Guardian players.

WARFRONTS
* There is now a shorter AFK timer for Warfronts, and players exceeding it will be immediately kicked out.
* The Black Garden: Holding the Fang while on the 'ledge' of your respective faction starting area will award fewer points.
* The Codex: Players should no longer be able to get into the Vault through clever jumping.

CLIENT/SERVER
* Reporting spam will now also automatically ignore the the sender.

Weenerz said:
They really need to work on their patching procedure, this feels very unorganized.

I'm sure they'll get into a regular schedule for patching/updating the game.

Brashnir

Darkshier said:
http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MNci..qczq0VR.Vb

I am a Bard/Nightblade/Ranger right now. PvE is stupid easy and I can take up to 4-5 same levels mobs at a time and not die. PvP is also netting me a ton of kills, mad healing points and very little deaths.

Cadence is an extremely strong move as it does damage, heals and gives you combo points in a ranged attack. Having those 7 points into nightblade increases the damage of my Cadence, which in turn makes it heal for more. I am all about Cadence, it's my main move with Power Chord, followed by Coda of Wrath.

I only have ranger for the pet as it can tank and take a lot of damage for me. So far, the only thing I am thinking about doing differently, is eventually trading Ranger for Riftstalker and its planar shift abilities.

I've been looking for a solid third class to go with my Bard/Riftstalker. I didn't even notice the Nightblade's +% to combo generators. I think I just found my calling - Thanks for the heads up. I'm also a cadence/power chord/coda of wrath(or fury, depending) whore, though if I pull a big group, I'll use Riftstalker's Guarded Steel to boost my defense first.

desverger

We did Iron Tomb yesterday, the first instance for Defiants. I was tanking it with a Paladin/Warlord-combo. We were in a bit of rush since the impeding server restart loomed over us - real nice of them to inform of the restart TEN MINUTES before it happens :p

So we sort of blitzed through the whole last part, and managed to complete it 30 seconds before the restart. Great timing!

1stStrike

Banned
We did the first guild run of FC tonight. Went pretty good, except for one wipe in the beginning. By the end of tomorrow we should have enough people leveled up to start doing kings breach. I'm about ready to head to the Droughtlands - as I was just there it'll be just like home! There's some fucking awesome quests there too - namely the bounty quests which net you 3 pieces of fantastic blue armor (but require a group to defeat each mob).

Wes

venison crêpe
Any Euro GAFers playing/going to be playing come Friday on EU servers? Thinking of picking this up as a casual game. Only really fancy doing it if there'll be some likeminded people about!

Ashes2049

Neo Member
I'm UK and play on the American servers, suprising with very little issues regarding lag etc. I've seen plenty of others on in the guild when I'm on so either there are other timezones in the guild or some people love all-nighters.

BigAT

4 hour downtime this morning to introduce new servers for launch, boo. I keep forgetting this game technically isn't even out yet.

Ningo

Pyromancer is at lvl 23, Blaphazar. I've fallen behind due to work and was hoping to put in some good hrs tonight but servers are down for launch.
Having a blast but I am tempted to lvl a warrior tank to be on the opposite end of the "squishyness" scale.
Only dabbled in one warfront and noone knew what they were doing so will have another go at some stage.
Still hope that they can optimize the game better and that the next set of drivers improve performance. All in all enjoying my stay.
Glad to see that they have thought things through and are opening new servers and making them available an hr before the older servers go back up to try and not overload those servers more than the already are.
Even if I do feel 90% of their customer base would have been in the head start.

Oh and grats to 1ststrike who is no doubt going to be the guild first 50!

desverger

Wes said:
Any Euro GAFers playing/going to be playing come Friday on EU servers? Thinking of picking this up as a casual game. Only really fancy doing it if there'll be some likeminded people about!

I'm playing on the Bloodiron server with two friends (who aren't gaffers though). Not sure what sort of crowd you're looking for - but if you pop in there, I'll craft you some free armor/weapons :p

I don't think there's really an EU GAF guild anywhere.

Ashodin

Man you guys did foul cascade without me? fail! :p

I'll be leveling some more tonight to warrant a run of that.

And we're ready for opening day!

I don't get off work until 4:30 I think.

I think Guild Quests will be ready again to be gotten today after the servers open.

Wes

venison crêpe
desverger said:
I'm playing on the Bloodiron server with two friends (who aren't gaffers though). Not sure what sort of crowd you're looking for - but if you pop in there, I'll craft you some free armor/weapons :p

I don't think there's really an EU GAF guild anywhere.

I shall bare it in mind! Doubt there'd be enough to create a complete guild but could be good if a few of us were to be on the same server anywho.

Although I'm still undecided whether to take the plunge seeing as Shogun 2 is out in two weeks...

1stStrike

Banned
Ningo said:
Pyromancer is at lvl 23, Blaphazar. I've fallen behind due to work and was hoping to put in some good hrs tonight but servers are down for launch.
Having a blast but I am tempted to lvl a warrior tank to be on the opposite end of the "squishyness" scale.
Only dabbled in one warfront and noone knew what they were doing so will have another go at some stage.
Still hope that they can optimize the game better and that the next set of drivers improve performance. All in all enjoying my stay.
Glad to see that they have thought things through and are opening new servers and making them available an hr before the older servers go back up to try and not overload those servers more than the already are.
Even if I do feel 90% of their customer base would have been in the head start.

Oh and grats to 1ststrike who is no doubt going to be the guild first 50!

PvP is much more fun if you hop in with a group of us. Just grab anyone else in your level range, form a group and then group join a warfront instead of soloing it. Hop on vent for even more coordination!

Also, I'm not so sure on that. I'm actually not the highest level at the moment. That would belong to Wallach who's lvl 35 while I'm lvl 34.

@Wes: We have lots of people crafting at the moment - I know Blackheim is giving out free 10 slot bags at the moment because so many people are sending him wool. If having people to play with is your concern, at 5:30 am EST time we had 12 people online and that's far from our prime time hours where there's usually 20+ on.

1stStrike

Banned
Einbroch said:
So what does the guild need? My brother is being lame and not playing because of "school" and "work"...what a lameass.

lol what horrible reasons :p

The main thing that I'd say we probably need the most of right now is potion making. We need someone to be able to put out a steady supply of potions. Armor and weapons seem to be mostly taken care of already and those guys/gals are getting their skills up as they level.

We seem to have a good balance of classes, but pretty much anything but rogue will work at this point. We've got enough of those, but I'm not going to turn away a gaffer if they want to play one.

1stStrike

Banned
Concept17 said:
If I'm not mistaken, we don't have a lot of Mages. Followed by Warriors. Have plenty of Clerics and Rogues for sure.

We have 13 mages, 20 clerics, 16 rogues and 15 warriors (based on my last count - we have two or three more members since then) so not too bad at all.

Also, for those with Windows 7/Vista I posted the link up to a server monitoring tool that you can add to your desktop on the LC forums. It updates every 3 minutes.

Got confirmation from a dev that guild banks are in and will be available in an update soon. Either at launch or post-launch.

LowParry

Have I said that Rangers kicks ass? Yes. They kick ass. With a raptor named Yoshi at my side, and dropping ricochet all over the place, group mobs don't have a chance. PvP on the other hand...........still working a build I like.

Myself, I've been grinding up my mining/armorsmithing (still Novice on both though). I've also got artificing but I haven't used it at all since I don't have any of the ingredients handy yet. I've been toying with the idea of swapping it out but I'm not sure what for yet. Any suggestions?

EDIT: On the official forums, folks seem to like mining/foraging/artificer. Hmm... Choices, choices.

1stStrike

Banned
1 pm EST / 10 am PST is the official launch time. However, as UPS hasn't delivered my box yet I'm hoping I'll be able to get in at least for the rest of the day as I'm sure others will also be waiting for their boxes to be delivered...

Top Bottom