• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Squalltdx

I've been wondering, is anyone actively leveling a Guardian and a Defiant or planning to level the opposite side after they max their current character? My main is a Eth Cleric, but I also started playing around with a High Elf Mage this weekend and I've been having alot of fun with it so far. I didn't get a chance to to try a Guardian in beta so it was nice to see things on the other side. Now I'm starting to wonder should I continue or try to stick to one side, for now atleast.

TheExodu5

Banned
It depends if you prefer the leveling experience, or the end game experience. I have lots of friends in WoW that level characters but never play the end game...there's nothing wrong with that.

Carm

Can someone look in their Rift folder for me and see if they have the file enbseries.ini? I was messing with settings in there under the Effects heading, and wanted the game to generate a new one so moved it to the desktop. The game didn't make a new one, so now I'm wondering if something I was doing the other day generated it when I was figuring out my stuttering problem.

Also, the guild on Belmont, are you inviting all Gaffers or just people that want to raid?

1stStrike

Banned
Carm said:
Can someone look in their Rift folder for me and see if they have the file enbseries.ini? I was messing with settings in there under the Effects heading, and wanted the game to generate a new one so moved it to the desktop. The game didn't make a new one, so now I'm wondering if something I was doing the other day generated it when I was figuring out my stuttering problem.

Also, the guild on Belmont, are you inviting all Gaffers or just people that want to raid?

All gaffers. We do not force raiding in the guild and have a mix of casual and hardcore players.

kpeezy said:
Is this worth buying? I would like to try a new MMO but I haven't played the anything in this genre in a while...

Yes. Read the OP, look at the screenshots and watch all the videos and you should have a good idea if you'll like it or not.

TheExodu5

Banned
kpeezy said:
Is this worth buying? I would like to try a new MMO but I haven't played the anything in this genre in a while...

This is easily the best non-WoW MMO I've ever played, if that says anything. I haven't played it enough to compare it to WoW yet. I'll need to reach end-game and experience everything the game has to offer before I do so. As a quick, very rough, and possibly inaccurate comparison to WoW, this is how I currently feel:

1) The starting zones are more interesting than WoW. Freemarch was a simple zone, but had a lot to it. It felt completely hand crafted as well. The second zone, Stone'something', looks amazing and really makes me want to progress further to see what I discover. The zone blends naturally with the previous zone, which is nicer and more subtle than WoW's zone contrast.

2) The mob placements are fairly dense, and traveling from point A to point B will lead to aggro if you travel off the roads...I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. Sometimes I find the amount of mobs a little overwhelming, but it also gives more of a use to roads, so we'll leave it at that.

3) The first dungeon I've done, Iron Tombs, is far better than any WoW dungeon up until WotLK, at the very least. It actually has some simple, yet interesting mechanics that give a new players a bit of a challenge. The tank needs to hold aggro, and the healer needs to be somewhat competent to succeed. There are some minor cutscenes (non cinematic) and voice acting that give the dungeon a nice flavor. I was very surprised at the quality and design of the dungeon.

4) The class system is more interesting, and is making the game a lot of fun to play. I appreciate the ability to quad spec (though I can only afford 2-3 specs at my level). I'm not sure how balance will work out in the end though, so while I can say it's fun, I can't say how well it will effect the end game in the end.

5) The quests are, overall, not as good as Cataclysm. There are a lot of kill quests, and very few unique quests...but they are there. I'd say this is on par with WotLK (so far), which is actually very high praise. If the filler kill quests were cut down a little bit, I'd probably give it higher honors.

Flambe

Sebulon3k said:

I'm so annoyed, apparently it happens when the time on your computer is wrong but mine is definitely correct, I've even changed it to different time zones ( Lol Baghdad ).

Can't even get access to the forums, to post a tech support thread.

Try making sure your router time auto-sets as well.
That fixed the 2005 error for me =]

Quagm1r3

If you weren't grabbed by the beta, or if it felt too much like WoW, don't let that discourage you. I got to level 8 in the beta and started regretting my preorder. I was already getting bored of what felt like another WoW clone. It was only during the head start when I got to about 12 or so that Rift really grabbed me. Getting planarite and exchanging it for awesome items so early in the game makes rift hunting super addicting. The bgs seem a lot more fun than WoW's because it's very close quarters. Armor and weapon design looks great and animations are pretty good.

Basically, give this game a chance. It has grabbed me in a way that WoW never did.

EDIT: The only thing that bugs me is that you can't switch out your souls once you activate a role. I made the mistake of activating my second role before I got any of the quests to get other souls. Now I have two roles with the same three souls and no way to change one of them.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Quagm1r3 said:
The only thing that bugs me is that you can't switch out your souls once you activate a role. I made the mistake of activating my second role before I got any of the quests to get other souls. Now I have two roles with the same three souls and no way to change one of them.

You can, just reset them to 0 points spent, then click the class icon.

nataku

wayward archer said:
The area across the bridge to the SE of Freemarch looks incredible.

Some of the landscapes in this game are really impressive.

I really like how the game's lighting simulates clouds passing over to block sunlight. It's subtle, but really neat looking.

TheExodu5

Banned
rift6.jpg

rift7.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
Quagm1r3 said:
If you weren't grabbed by the beta, or if it felt too much like WoW, don't let that discourage you. I got to level 8 in the beta and started regretting my preorder. I was already getting bored of what felt like another WoW clone. It was only during the head start when I got to about 12 or so that Rift really grabbed me. Getting planarite and exchanging it for awesome items so early in the game makes rift hunting super addicting. The bgs seem a lot more fun than WoW's because it's very close quarters. Armor and weapon design looks great and animations are pretty good.

Basically, give this game a chance. It has grabbed me in a way that WoW never did.

EDIT: The only thing that bugs me is that you can't switch out your souls once you activate a role. I made the mistake of activating my second role before I got any of the quests to get other souls. Now I have two roles with the same three souls and no way to change one of them.

Switch to the role you want to change, go to your trainer and choose the reset option. It'll reset your souls and refund your points and you can re-distribute.

J-Rzez

So the stone monsters completely overtook the map on us last night. They just chilled at every camp killing everyone. Then it appears a NPC event happened where we had to help this dude out with an experiment to wipe them out or whatever. By far one of the coolest experiences I've ever felt in a MMO. For once the world feels alive. It's not just driven by the players, but supplemented by the AI. Great stuff.

Klytus

As a 6-year WoW veteran/saddo, I must say I'm rather enjoying Rift. It's very familiar stuff, but thankfully it's just different enough to keep my interest.

I started with a Guardian cleric, but have switched to a Defiant rogue because of the server queues. Here's a few screenshots from the first 10 or so levels on each faction.

2011-02-26_00008_sm.jpg

2011-02-26_00030_sm.jpg

2011-02-27_00021.jpg

2011-02-27_00067.jpg

2011-02-27_00035.jpg

Is there some good videos that show off the full versions visuals with most of the fancy shit turned on? Going through the youtubes is a pain as lot of it seems to be beta footage or systems with graphics turned way down.

Lot of the animations in the game look odd, but wondering if that was just some of the footage.

nataku

Belmont just died.. but didn't. All the NPCs and mobs disappeared, but chat didn't. Players could still move around, talk and use abilities. People were able to log in just fine as well. It was that way for a couple minutes before GMs gave notice the servers would be coming down for an update... in 10 minutes.

So weird. I've never seen anything where everything just disappears but the servers don't actually crash.

1stStrike

Banned
nataku said:
Belmont just died.. but didn't. All the NPCs and mobs disappeared, but chat and players could still move around, talk and use abilities. People were able to log in just fine as well. It was that way for a couple minutes before GMs gave notice the servers would be coming down for an update... in 10 minutes.

So weird. I've never seen anything where everything just disappears but the servers don't actually crash.

Isn't that the 2nd time that's happened today? Expect a patch on Monday.

rift%202011-02-27%2016-28-44-92.bmp

rift%202011-02-27%2016-32-40-07.bmp

nataku said:
Belmont just died.. but didn't. All the NPCs and mobs disappeared, but chat didn't. Players could still move around, talk and use abilities. People were able to log in just fine as well. It was that way for a couple minutes before GMs gave notice the servers would be coming down for an update... in 10 minutes.

Happened to Lotham earlier. They seem to be taking the servers down for a while to check it.

nataku

Belmont died again.

Same thing as before, for the most part. Looks like it finally died a minute ago after about 20 minutes of missing NPCs. This time rifts still worked though, it's weird.

I hope they figure out what's wrong with it soon. :(

BigAT

Kintaro said:
So, lets talk builds. As a Champion, I'm looking at a solo and dungeon build before moving on to a pvp build or some others.

Playing around with some ideas, and here is my solo build idea. Beastmaster/Champion/Reaver. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cmkA.Exzdzzz.EAsdq0rGzbz

What are you guys running?
I hit 31 with my Warrior tonight and here is the build I'm using for leveling so far (to the best of my memory).

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cukL.AM.Euozq0MMzd

I'm absolutely ripping things apart right now with that. Chaining kills together means things will absolutely get shredded from Bloodthirst, which has a 100% crit rate meaning you're guaranteed to have Frenzied Strike proc as well, but of which aren't on the global cooldown so they're huge burst damage. Especially since crit damage has +15% and I usually try to have Strike Like Iron up for 30% damage overall. I'm using Paragon because it has two pretty decent buffs, Path of the Wind is a really nice ranged attack to have, and Rising Waterfall is a very nice Follow Up.

As far as dungeons are concerned, I have a separate role setup for tanking. Basically 2/3rds in Paladin, 1/3 in Warlord has been a great build for a main tank.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
That was fun running Deepstrike Mines today. Got a nice off hander for my healing set and a snazzy new wand, so it was a decent haul loot-wise. The last boss there is pretty good. Those crystals he drops that heals him give him back a ton of HP. =O Only managed to pound out one level, but finally cracked 500 pvp kills, and got my achievement for cracking 5,000 favor, and had to do a lot of power-leveling to get artificer up near where my apothecary skill is. Hopefully I can get my cleric into the mid-30s to early 40s by week's end.

Wallach

I've never seen a game take such a framerate hit from anisotropic filtering like Rift does. Shit is bizarre. I'm actually pretty satisfied with how it looks on the default "High" setting w/ Edge filter (this generally gives me around 45 as my lower FPS limit in rifts and stuff), but I just thought it was really weird how much you lose trying to crank it up. Can't think of the last time that setting caused much of a hit at all.

Speaking of those graphics, I had to share this shot from a pretty sweet area from the Defiant story arc:

gLAca.jpg

Looks bad ass in motion.

Swag

Gametrailers put up a video of one of the raids section of the game.

It's pretty much the same thing as the video in the OP from a different view point, but shows the encounters more in depth.

Orgun

Had a quick scan of the OP and Community forum and didn't see an answer to this - Is there a Euro GAF guild setup on any of the servers?

kpeezy

Banned
Wallach said:
I've never seen a game take such a framerate hit from anisotropic filtering like Rift does. Shit is bizarre. I'm actually pretty satisfied with how it looks on the default "High" setting w/ Edge filter (this generally gives me around 45 as my lower FPS limit in rifts and stuff), but I just thought it was really weird how much you lose trying to crank it up. Can't think of the last time that setting caused much of a hit at all.

Speaking of those graphics, I had to share this shot from a pretty sweet area from the Defiant story arc:

Looks bad ass in motion.

What are your specs?

Hixx

Gah what is it with MMOs and pre-launch patches. Disc version I can understand but is there any reason not to keep DD-acquired releases up to date? :(

edit: however, fair play to Trion the download is going at my max dl speed which is a rarity with MMOs.

Erasus

Has engine performance been improved since the beta? That, and the animations is what I was worried about.

In the beta I got about 25-30fps on medium or high (NO DIFFERENCE!?) Turned off AA and char shadows

joelseph

kpeezy said:

For me it is not worth a purchase at this time. For being a WoW clone the quest variation is horrendous. Maybe in a year or two if they can prove they can support the product with end-game content, but has anyone besides Blizzard been able to do end-game correctly this cycle?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Only a few more hours 'til I can play this again. Can't believe I had to put it down to raid in WoW last night. Fuck, haha.

HixxSAFC said:
Gah what is it with MMOs and pre-launch patches. Disc version I can understand but is there any reason not to keep DD-acquired releases up to date? :(

edit: however, fair play to Trion the download is going at my max dl speed which is a rarity with MMOs.
Trion doesn't seem to be an expert with patching techniques, with the awfully broken patcher and all that.

joelseph said:
For me it is not worth a purchase at this time. For being a WoW clone the quest variation is horrendous. Maybe in a year or two if they can prove they can support the product with end-game content, but has anyone besides Blizzard been able to do end-game correctly this cycle?

Blizzard end game is nothing all that amazing personally, but no one can come close in sheer quanitity. Most games come out and lack in end game variety which just causes constant grinding on the same handful of content while WoW usually offers so much more. Many games have had some good end game, but it quickly runs out and not too much variety involved.

Blizzard has the advantage of having been around so long that it just has built up so much more to offer. No MMO will come out that can offer as much as WoW does with how long its been around and all the content it's built up over the years.

Course to me it's more of a matter of being sick of playing WoW after years that I rather play something else and just can't get into WoW anymore.

joelseph

BattleMonkey said:
Blizzard end game is nothing all that amazing personally, but no one can come close in sheer quanitity. Most games come out and lack in end game variety which just causes constant grinding on the same handful of content while WoW usually offers so much more. Many games have had some good end game, but it quickly runs out and not too much variety involved.

Blizzard has the advantage of having been around so long that it just has built up so much more to offer. No MMO will come out that can offer as much as WoW does with how long its been around and all the content it's built up over the years.

Course to me it's more of a matter of being sick of playing WoW after years that I rather play something else and just can't get into WoW anymore.

I feel you. My WoW group gave up raiding and moved to Rift Beta. I think I am the only one that hasn't completely fallen in love with Rift like the rest of the crew has. My highest toon in production is a level 10 while they are all 30+. I do like the Rift mechanics and such but Warhammer used that type of content to cover-up their lack of endgame content and balance. Just have a feeling that this will go the same route.

Hixx

OK so the background on the menu screen doesn't show up. Neither do characters in the create a character screen.

Great start, this. :(

HixxSAFC said:
OK so the background on the menu screen doesn't show up. Neither do characters in the create a character screen.

Great start, this. :(
That happened to me the first time I started up rift. I updated my graphics card drivers and everything was fine.

Hixx

Darkshier said:
That happened to me the first time I started up rift. I updated my graphics card drivers and everything was fine.

Unfortunately ATi's latest drivers gave me a lot of BSoD troubles, so I've had to go back to 11.1. Hopefully this doesn't mean I've wasted £30 till I can sort that out.

HixxSAFC said:
Unfortunately ATi's latest drivers gave me a lot of BSoD troubles, so I've had to go back to 11.1. Hopefully this doesn't mean I've wasted £30 till I can sort that out.
That's not good. I was on 11.1 as well when I was running into that issue. Hopefully you can sort out your problems and get Rift up and running sooner than later.

nataku

Kintaro said:
So, lets talk builds. As a Champion, I'm looking at a solo and dungeon build before moving on to a pvp build or some others.

Playing around with some ideas, and here is my solo build idea. Beastmaster/Champion/Reaver. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cmkA.Exzdzzz.EAsdq0rGzbz

What are you guys running?

I'm doing Ranger/Bard/Marksman right now and it's working out pretty well. I'm taking down mobs and people in PvP well enough, though I really went Bard for the support. Bard healing is really powerful in Warfronts and gets me focused on pretty quickly by Guardians.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MNcf.V0o.VcdqV0k.M

I'm probably going to respect slightly to tweak what I have in Bard. I was really just throwing things in there as I leveled up, and I can see a couple things I want to try out. I'm mainly just using the bard for buffing/debuffing/healing then doing 5 point head shots, which is getting me some pretty nice hits.

I wanted to try a melee Bard too, but that seems like a bad idea for PvP.

Top Bottom