• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

nataku

BigAT

This was the big one for me:

* When you visit a vendor, there is a small icon at the bottom center of his trade window. The icon looks like a stack of coins, on a small circular button. This will sell all sellables (gray items) in your bags.

Servers are back up.

1stStrike

Banned
Got my CE box, applied my code and bought my 6 months founders subscription. The USB stick included looks awesome, the box is really nice and the map and mouse pad are a nice touch. Gotta check out the soundtrack too.

Somnia

1stStrike said:
Got my CE box, applied my code and bought my 6 months founders subscription. The USB stick included looks awesome, the box is really nice and the map and mouse pad are a nice touch. Gotta check out the soundtrack too.
6 Months get as soon as I get home tonight :]

Hawk269

1stStrike said:

Same here. Man the box is alot bigger than I thought it was going to be, but it is a really nice collectors edition and well worth the money. I have not applied my code yet, jsut walked in with the box and need to take care of some stuff and will be starting in about an hour or so.

Coverly

Well I caved and bought the special edition yesterday through steam with the preorder bonuses and I would like to join the gaf guild. I have a healer named Vespi that I just created, is there still space in the guild?

Wes

venison crêpe
1stStrike said:
@Wes: We have lots of people crafting at the moment - I know Blackheim is giving out free 10 slot bags at the moment because so many people are sending him wool. If having people to play with is your concern, at 5:30 am EST time we had 12 people online and that's far from our prime time hours where there's usually 20+ on.

Would I have to download/purchase a separate version to play on US servers? Or is it just an option of selecting an option within the game itself?

Fixed1979

Fixed1979

Wes said:
Would I have to download/purchase a separate version to play on US servers? Or is it just an option of selecting an option within the game itself?

I heard someone say it wasn't region locked but I can't confirm...

Double Post =(

NinjaKixx

Banned
I have the beta client still. Will I have to re-download the actual game client when I purchase tonight or can I still play off the beta client?

How long is it taking you all to download the game client?

Hawk269

NinjaKixx said:
I have the beta client still. Will I have to re-download the actual game client when I purchase tonight or can I still play off the beta client?

How long is it taking you all to download the game client?

Yes, unistall the beta client, then you have to download the retail version. It is about 8.5gigs of download, then there should be a patch as well. It took me 4 hours to download cuase i was having some internet issues, but normally it would of took me about an hour or less.

Morn

Banned
Wes said:

You just select your region via the launcher.

Weenerz

Banned
1stStrike said:

Can you take some pictures? I bought the digital CE, so no physical goodies for me.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I need to get back on my Mage(Lock/Necro) before I fall far behind y'all. I was playing with some friends on another server

What kind of FPS am I looking at on a Macbook Pro with 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram, and 9600M GT GeForce 512MB running on Windows 7? I don't mind putting the settings as low as they need to be as long as they aren't complete shit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Saren is Bad said:
What kind of FPS am I looking at on a Macbook Pro with 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram, and 9600M GT GeForce 512MB running on Windows 7? I don't mind putting the settings as low as they need to be as long as they aren't complete shit.

What resolution? You can probably find some settings that will get the game to run smooth, but I doubt it will look pretty...

The game can get kind of chunky on me (framerate down to as low as the mid-20s in some situations) with a Core 2 Quad 3.2ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon 5870 1GB running the default Ultra settings, except with shadows turned off, at 1920x1200 resolution.

Einbroch

Banned
I play on my crappy laptop and the game, on low settings, runs at 20 FPS. And my laptop sucks. Plays WoW at medium settings.

Einbroch said:
I play on my crappy laptop and the game, on low settings, runs at 20 FPS. And my laptop sucks. Plays WoW at medium settings.

Good to hear, I can run WoW on High settings at 1920x1080 at 60 fps locked, but I'd probably be running this game at 1440x900 on the Macbook screen. I think I'll take the plunge then.

LordAlu

I run at 1440x900 on High settings and get 40odd FPS most of the time, dropping into the mid 20s in busy Rifts. Core 2 Duo 3GHz, 4GB RAM and 512MB 9800GT.

1stStrike

Banned
Coverly said:
Well I caved and bought the special edition yesterday through steam with the preorder bonuses and I would like to join the gaf guild. I have a healer named Vespi that I just created, is there still space in the guild?

Yep, plenty of space. Just hit up any of the officers listed on our website for an invite to the guild.

BrettWeir

Holy hell assassins in this game are nowhere near what assassins are in other games. I get torn up fast as hell. Been leveling up using Sab for PvE, switching to 2nd Bard soul for all Warfronts. Just for S&Gs, I got my 3rd soul and made it assassin. I was getting mowed down by people 5 levels lower lol.

What the hell are you guys using for stealther melee soul setups for PvP?

Oops, level 36 atm for reference.

Swag

Morn said:
I don't get it. That thread is about FoH's firsts...and they're on Reclaimer.

Ignore that `-`, I saw some people with the same names when I was logged in and assumed it was the same group.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
BrettWeir said:
Holy hell assassins in this game are nowhere near what assassins are in other games. I get torn up fast as hell. Been leveling up using Sab for PvE, switching to 2nd Bard soul for all Warfronts. Just for S&Gs, I got my 3rd soul and made it assassin. I was getting mowed down by people 5 levels lower lol.

Whats your assassin build?

Im just lvl 19 ATM but i was aiming for this. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVMb.xcb.GAMftobodbo.xx0R0c0m

bill0527

Wow sub is running out in a couple of days and I'm thinking about giving this a try.

Is the game pvp focused one you hit a certain point? I'm not a big pvp-er. I switched to a pve care bear realm in wow a couple of years ago because some days I only have limited play time, maybe an hour a day. I don't want to spend it dealing with some little shit stain douche bag corpse camping me or deal with some high level toon completely shutting down lowbie questing areas.

If I buy it'll probably be the steam digital ce. Does anyone know how big the download is off steam? It says 15gb required but if the download is anywhere close to that size I might just purchase from retail. Also how big is the patch after install?

TheExodu5

Banned
bill0527 said:
Wow sub is running out in a couple of days and I'm thinking about giving this a try.

Is the game pvp focused one you hit a certain point? I'm not a big pvp-er. I switched to a pve care bear realm in wow a couple of years ago because some days I only have limited play time, maybe an hour a day. I don't want to spend it dealing with some little shit stain douche bag corpse camping me or deal with some high level toon completely shutting down lowbie questing areas.

If I buy it'll probably be the steam digital ce. Does anyone know how big the download is off steam? It says 15gb required but if the download is anywhere close to that size I might just purchase from retail. Also how big is the patch after install?

You can chose a PvE server. There are dungeons and rifts at end game for PvE content (as well as a ton of achievements, like WoW). Of course, Warfronts (aka Battlegrounds) are available as well.

The game is around 8.5GB, I believe.

Morn said:
I don't get it. That thread is about FoH's firsts...and they're on Reclaimer.

I'm on Reclaimer Defiant. :D

Those guys hit 50 3 days ago. Insane.

Boken

Banned
BrettWeir said:

In the beta I was using Assassin with nightblade secondary tree and blademaster for the dodge cooldown. I find nightblade pretty essential as a secondary for most dps for the 15% damage buff to both CP generators and finishers and ranged sap which are just way too good.

This is my example:night13:assas31:infiltrator0

Gives you access to a ranged slow (essential because people get away often), dark malady which stacks with cloak and dagger for around a 40% damage increase out of steath (blow people up before they can react), ranged sap and 5m pvp trinket.

Morn

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
You can chose a PvE server. There are dungeons and rifts at end game for PvE content (as well as a ton of achievements, like WoW). Of course, Warfronts (aka Battlegrounds) are available as well.

The game is around 8.5GB, I believe.

I'm on Reclaimer Defiant. :D

Those guys hit 50 3 days ago. Insane.
There's two FoH guilds there. Fires of Heaven is the big time one, and Embers of Heaven is the casual one. I'm in Embers.

desverger

So wait, this might be a silly question but how exactly does world PvP work? I just realized I have no idea. I'm playing on a PvP server.

All the zones seem to be separate from each other. It looks like there isn't a way to get through the physical world to the other faction's zones. Where do the opposing faction players enter your zones and start wreaking havoc, is it through rifts or some other mechanic?

desverger said:
So wait, this might be a silly question but how exactly does world PvP work? I just realized I have no idea. I'm playing on a PvP server.

All the zones seem to be separate from each other. It looks like there isn't a way to get through the physical world to the other faction's zones. Where do the opposing faction players enter your zones and start wreaking havoc, is it through rifts or some other mechanic?
I'm guessing some of the higher level zones will be more populated with players from both sides. With shared zones and rift events, I can see world PVP getting pretty crazy. AFAIK, there is PVP within a rift event, even on a PVE server as well. Not 100% on that though.

I am having trouble with the Lotus guild quest. It says to kill bosses in DSM. I went through DSM 3 times last night and killed a total of 12 bosses. Each time my group had at least 1 other Lotus member, if not more. I don't think we got credited for the quest, for any of those kills. Do these kills have to be done by a full guild group?

1stStrike

Banned
Darkshier said:
I'm guessing some of the higher level zones will be more populated with players from both sides. With shared zones and rift events, I can see world PVP getting pretty crazy. AFAIK, there is PVP within a rift event, even on a PVE server as well. Not 100% on that though.

I am having trouble with the Lotus guild quest. It says to kill bosses in DSM. I went through DSM 3 times last night and killed a total of 12 bosses. Each time my group had at least 1 other Lotus member, if not more. I don't think we got credited for the quest, for any of those kills. Do these kills have to be done by a full guild group?

At lvl 30 if you run to foul cascade you're going entirely through guardian territory to get there. Plenty of pvp - I killed 4 guardians on my way to the dungeon the other day.

Also, no you don't need a full guild group. I wasn't there to count so I don't know if credit was added or not, but it should have. DSM and Foul Cascade count (only the final boss) for the current guild quest. It should count 1 per guild member though.

1stStrike said:
At lvl 30 if you run to foul cascade you're going entirely through guardian territory to get there. Plenty of pvp - I killed 4 guardians on my way to the dungeon the other day.

Also, no you don't need a full guild group. I wasn't there to count so I don't know if credit was added or not, but it should have. DSM and Foul Cascade count (only the final boss) for the current guild quest. It should count 1 per guild member though.
Ok. That's what I was missing, I thought it counted for each boss and each member of the guild heh. That's ok though, gives me more incentive to go through DSM again and get some more gear of the way. Picked up 2 new blues and one of our group got a shard first blue item ring, was fun.

Wes

venison crêpe
Decided to take the plunge and hope to have the game delivered on Friday. With seemingly so many Rogues being rolled I think I'll go Paragon.

traveler

Not Wario
Is there a free trial or demo of this somewhere? I wouldn't mind checking it out just for the class system, but I don't want to take the plunge before playing.

Ricker

traveler said:
Is there a free trial or demo of this somewhere? I wouldn't mind checking it out just for the class system, but I don't want to take the plunge before playing.

Not yet...so I applied my key Code from the retail version of the game,the standard edition and I thought my Turtle Mount would be gone but I still have it? wasn`t that a headstart only mount or a mount for the people that bought the CE? my pre order was with EB/Gamestop...

BrettWeir

Thanks everyone for your replies on assassin. Can't recall what I specced into .. at work and won't be able to play until Sunday. QQ.

Orgun

Ricker said:
Not yet...so I applied my key Code from the retail version of the game,the standard edition and I thought my Turtle Mount would be gone but I still have it? wasn`t that a headstart only mount or a mount for the people that bought the CE? my pre order was with EB/Gamestop...

I thought that might have been a beta thank you gift, I had one of those, a companion pet, a pet quest and a ruby for enchanting weapons

Hixx

Invasions are a cool concept but I've yet to see us win one in Silverwood so far and because of that they last waaaaaay too long. Its silly having 16-20 content spawn over 7-15 content. It makes levelling impossible unless you just want to leech off a raid.

Unless I am really missing something important here?

Coverly

1stStrike said:
Yep, plenty of space. Just hit up any of the officers listed on our website for an invite to the guild.

Thanks for the invite. I couldn't be believe how far you guys had lvled in such a short time. I want to get up there in lvls too but I also don't want to rush it. Right now I'm having a lot of fun with the basic quests and just getting the feel of the game.

First Impressions:

- The whole going back in time thing was interesting, and the starting area compared to other mmos is great. Felt more chaotic, and the mini mob groups that would attack an encampment I found them to be a nice touch. I also liked the way npcs were fighting throughout the areas.

- Once I got out of that area and went to the present, there was a rift near the town and I thought it was suppose to be part of the scenery, so I ignored it. two hours later I passed by it and notice that people were fighting under it so I joined. It's great how you can just click on join party. After that, whenever the tentacles came out from the sky I made sure to go, even got to skin the dragon for hides. I got a really nice chain body armor out of it, much higher than what the quests were offering.

The whole rift thing really breaks the game from being chore-like. most of the time I was in the middle of some quest but the second I saw those tentacles i raced over there for the fun of it. Maybe it will get worn out later, but those mini skirmishes are fun. The loot is good too, and simple enough that everyone gets something. The way the groups are automatically organized in your screen is a big plus.

- In the second town there was an event where mobs overtook the encampment. This is where i died to the point where my soul vitality was 0%. It was a good learning experience in where to position yourself, etc.. Certainly was fun, but will be more cautious next time.

- Having been into those mini rift and mob events made me use the role of a healer for the first time and I sucked. On my first few groups my healing was terrible and I kept pressing the wrong keys. By the end of the night though things were more manageable, but there are still a lot of areas to improve. I'm going to get into as many mini events as possible to work on them.

Overall it's been fun. I'm still in the new areas but there are so many quests to do it might be a while.

HixxSAFC said:
Invasions are a cool concept but I've yet to see us win one in Silverwood so far and because of that they last waaaaaay too long. Its silly having 16-20 content spawn over 7-15 content. It makes levelling impossible unless you just want to leech off a raid.

Unless I am really missing something important here?

Well, I've never seen a high level rift spawn in a low level area, they are always appropriate to the level of the area you are in. If there are level 7-9 enemies, you will generally have a level 7-9 rift open there.

You might be running into invaders which spawn from a higher level foothold and head towards the towns to destroy them, just stay off the main roads and you should be fine.

The main reason for failing the invasions is because everybody seems more interested in closing rifts than defending, if you don't defend you lose every single time. The rewards for stopping invaders seem small but if you pick a wardstone and defend it for the length of the invasion you typically get just as much planarite and other random drops than if you roam from rift to rift with a huge raid closing them. Maybe more in fact since fewer people defend.

1stStrike

Banned
Coverly said:
Thanks for the invite. I couldn't be believe how far you guys had lvled in such a short time. I want to get up there in lvls too but I also don't want to rush it. Right now I'm having a lot of fun with the basic quests and just getting the feel of the game.

First Impressions:

- The whole going back in time thing was interesting, and the starting area compared to other mmos is great. Felt more chaotic, and the mini mob groups that would attack an encampment I found them to be a nice touch. I also liked the way npcs were fighting throughout the areas.

- Once I got out of that area and went to the present, there was a rift near the town and I thought it was suppose to be part of the scenery, so I ignored it. two hours later I passed by it and notice that people were fighting under it so I joined. It's great how you can just click on join party. After that, whenever the tentacles came out from the sky I made sure to go, even got to skin the dragon for hides. I got a really nice chain body armor out of it, much higher than what the quests were offering.

The whole rift thing really breaks the game from being chore-like. most of the time I was in the middle of some quest but the second I saw those tentacles i raced over there for the fun of it. Maybe it will get worn out later, but those mini skirmishes are fun. The loot is good too, and simple enough that everyone gets something. The way the groups are automatically organized in your screen is a big plus.

- In the second town there was an event where mobs overtook the encampment. This is where i died to the point where my soul vitality was 0%.
It was a good learning experience in where to position yourself, etc.. Certainly was fun, but will be more cautious next time.

- Having been into those mini rift and mob events made me use the role of a healer for the first time and I sucked. On my first few groups my healing was terrible and I kept pressing the wrong keys. By the end of the night though things were more manageable, but there are still a lot of areas to improve. I'm going to get into as many mini events as possible to work on them.

Overall it's been fun. I'm still in the new areas but there are so many quests to do it might be a while.

Glad you're enjoying the game so far. Here's a few tips:

- Rifts get more interesting later on. They start out kind of simple, tank and spank, but where I'm at now they become more unique. For example, we were fighting one last night (a life rift) that had floating pods all around the outside of it that would heal mobs, as well as hives that would respawn mobs throughout the fight if you didn't kill it (and eventually overwhelm you). So, you had to defeat the pods and kill the hive along with fighting off the normal mobs. I've also seen some that spawn with treasure chests in the center and when you open them either an item will pop out or an elite mob ^_^

- Make sure you keep your soul vitality above 50%. I'd say that every time you hit 70% you should go to a healer and get it healed as you get a 4 minute debuff that reduces your stats by 50% once you hit 55/50% soul vitality.

- Every time you level up make sure you're going back to your trainer to train your skills otherwise you'll end up gimped!

Hixx

wayward archer said:
Well, I've never seen a high level rift spawn in a low level area, they are always appropriate to the level of the area you are in. If there are level 7-9 enemies, you will generally have a level 7-9 rift open there.

You might be running into invaders which spawn from a higher level foothold and head towards the towns to destroy them, just stay off the main roads and you should be fine.

The main reason for failing the invasions is because everybody seems more interested in closing rifts than defending, if you don't defend you lose every single time. The rewards for stopping invaders seem small but if you pick a wardstone and defend it for the length of the invasion you typically get just as much planarite and other random drops than if you roam from rift to rift with a huge raid closing them. Maybe more in fact since fewer people defend.

A level 20 rift definitely spawned over the Spirit Guide quest giver in the Treant area (quests level ~13). It was during an invasion but like I say for the duration of the invasion it is incredibly difficult to quest. In higher level zones I could understand but in the 7-20 zone its daft imo.

Top Bottom