• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
Oh, and get a friend to level with instead of soloing. I spent several hours last night lvling with Wallach (cleric) and I was using my saboteur build. We were aoing groups of mobs to death in seconds and tackling lvl 40 elites with relative ease. I went from lvl 36 to 39 in a matter of hours. Pretty awesome!

GhostRidah said:
Any officers in Lotus on? would like a invite, characters name is Trish.

Check the guild roster. Anyone officer or above can invite you. I won't be on till later tonight, so try the others.

Coverly

1stStrike said:
- Every time you level up make sure you're going back to your trainer to train your skills otherwise you'll end up gimped!

Does it cost anything to reset your points? Also, let's say I put points somewhere else so a skill i had leveled to rank 3 is no longer available. if I get that skill back later on, will it still be rank 3 or reset to rank 1?

Looking at the healer builds, is it worth it putting points in critical chance based options? for example, is it fairly common to crit on a heal?

Coverly said:
Also, let's say I put points somewhere else so a skill i had leveled to rank 3 is no longer available. if I get that skill back later on, will it still be rank 3 or reset to rank 1?

You keep whatever ranks you have bought for an ability if you respec.

1stStrike

Banned
Coverly said:
Does it cost anything to reset your points? Also, let's say I put points somewhere else so a skill i had leveled to rank 3 is no longer available. if I get that skill back later on, will it still be rank 3 or reset to rank 1?

Looking at the healer builds, is it worth it putting points in critical chance based options? for example, is it fairly common to crit on a heal?

As wayward mentioned, you keep your ability levels once you've payed to upgrade them.

Also, heals do crit, though I'm not sure I would put points into critical if I was a healer. I haven't played that class, though, so I can't really give you any tips on it.

TheExodu5

Banned
As a healer you'll be specing deep into one tree, and the rest of your spec should be into passives. That includes crit.

5% crit is basically 5% extra healing (if crits are 2x). It's less predictable, but you'll still have the points to dump into it. You can only support so many active abilities.

Not sure on the healing crit question, my main is a sorta healing/tank build (justicar/shaman/sentinel) - I've never seen a heal crit and I probably wouldn't put points on a heal crit only skill. However, some skills target attack crits AND heal crits - they might be more worthwhile.

Still messing around with crafts, I ended up trading out artificer for runemaking. It's an interesting combo with armorsmithing. I can mine what I need (or mostly what I need) for armor, smith out the pieces, then runebreak the extras/what I don't need/can't use for my runemaking ingredients. So i get to power two craft skills with one gathering skill and the two crafts synergize very well. I'm happy with it... I think.

Swag

Wes said:
Decided to take the plunge and hope to have the game delivered on Friday. With seemingly so many Rogues being rolled I think I'll go Paragon.

A really interesting crit heavy spec, I went Champion / Paragon / Riftblade, although I'm thinking of dropping Riftblade in order to pick up Warlord ( or whatever the buff warrior class is ), Riftblade just doesn't synergise well with the other DPS heavy trees.

Too unique to have anything useful, other then the Shock Blade ability, that thing is kinda good, they should change it from weapon damage to damage caused by the trigger skill though, white damage on Paragon is quite low.

So, Goon Squad is on my server.
They attacked Sanctum and wiped on a single guard.
The GM mocked them via server wide message.
<3 this game!

Swag

AceBandage said:
<3 this game!

Personally I would've enjoyed an outcome that had them winning as it spurs player driven World PvP / faction rivalry.

Stuff like them taking the flight master hostage in WoW was fun.

Sebulon3k said:
Personally I would've enjoyed an outcome that had them winning as it spurs player driven World PvP / faction rivalry.

Stuff like them taking the flight master hostage in WoW was fun.

If it was any other guild than Goon Squad, I'd agree.
They're all douchebags.

Hawk269

You know being a noob to MMO's and no Strategy Guide available for RIFT really sucks the big one. For starters, I am shocked that they did not make a guide for this game. With as a big of a game this seems to be, I am really shocked that they did not make a guide for it.

But back to being a noob and this game. There are so many things that had I known before, would of made the game even more fun. The game is great and I really like the game, but as I am learning it more, I am enjoying it more. Like crafting, I had no idea there was crafting and how it worked. I spent some time with it today and am still trying to figure things out with it. But still a guide would of been nice to help out newer people to the MMO world and in particular on how this game runs.

The guide someone posted about little things like combining the bags, clicking on the icon next to the quest list on the screen instead of adding the quest items to the action bar etc. are things that a guide would of covered.

So for crafting, I bought a crafting looking wheel thing from a vendor, but have no clue on how in the hell to make it work. Another question, I also got an ability to break down weopons, but have yet to figure out how to make it work. Do i put it on the action bar (which I did) but then what?

BTW...you guys here and the guys the the guild (Lotus Cross) have been great helping a noob like me and I tell you what I am using what I am learning and helping others with it in return.

Morn

Banned
1stStrike said:
I seem to have missed out on the Legend of Goon. What asshattery have they been up to?

Lets just say that in EVE if any corp sees in your history that you were in Goon Squad, you won't be allowed into that corp.

Morn

Banned
AceBandage said:
<3 this game!

oX0jM.png

Flambe said:
Not allllllllll bad =[
A good majority. Thy constantly camp stuff to grief both factions.
I'll admit Ive grouped with a couple Goons that were good but I've seen dozens of them just be jerks.
Demanding you duel them or pay them to access NPCs or quest items.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Hawk269 said:
You know being a noob to MMO's and no Strategy Guide available for RIFT really sucks the big one. For starters, I am shocked that they did not make a guide for this game. With as a big of a game this seems to be, I am really shocked that they did not make a guide for it.

But back to being a noob and this game. There are so many things that had I known before, would of made the game even more fun. The game is great and I really like the game, but as I am learning it more, I am enjoying it more. Like crafting, I had no idea there was crafting and how it worked. I spent some time with it today and am still trying to figure things out with it. But still a guide would of been nice to help out newer people to the MMO world and in particular on how this game runs.

The guide someone posted about little things like combining the bags, clicking on the icon next to the quest list on the screen instead of adding the quest items to the action bar etc. are things that a guide would of covered.

So for crafting, I bought a crafting looking wheel thing from a vendor, but have no clue on how in the hell to make it work. Another question, I also got an ability to break down weopons, but have yet to figure out how to make it work. Do i put it on the action bar (which I did) but then what?

BTW...you guys here and the guys the the guild (Lotus Cross) have been great helping a noob like me and I tell you what I am using what I am learning and helping others with it in return.

What the hell. You had no idea there was crafting, even though they pretty much take your hand with the tutorial to introduce you to it?

I for one im glad there's no guide or a huge database to look for everything, its part the new mmo experience, being lost and discovering things. It has been since FFXI and EQ i've had this feeling.

Swag

So I'm curious

Max and 1st what do you plan on doing for the raiding, when it comes time to start making attempts. Are you going for a what we need per boss approach, or splitting the guild into different groups and letting them be autonomous?

On that note, does anyone know how the lockouts work in Rift? I know the rift raids aren't locked and are based on how quick you can create the lures but what about expert dungeons and such

Ashodin

Sebulon3k said:
So I'm curious

Max and 1st what do you plan on doing for the raiding, when it comes time to start making attempts. Are you going for a what we need per boss approach, or splitting the guild into different groups and letting them be autonomous?

On that note, does anyone know how the lockouts work in Rift? I know the rift raids aren't locked and are based on how quick you can create the lures but what about expert dungeons and such
We're planning on doing raiding 10-man Rifts first before we hit up the 20 mans. And before THAT, we're hitting the 5-man expert. But yes, we'll be picking and choosing people to fit roles, then we'll set up a second raid, and so on.

Enjoying the hell out of this game. I love that you can get 4 roles and switch to them on the fly whenever needed. Been playing a Warden/Sentinel/Purifier so far.

LordAlu

I was hoping to start playing Rift today but my CE has been delayed till Saturday.

*vadernooooo.jpg*

Instead, I shall ask these totally important questions:

It looks to me like we have a GAF US guild (Lotus Cross), but I can't see anywhere that in the thread about a Euro GAF guild. Do we have one, and if so what are the details?

If we don't have a Euro GAF guild, would people like one?

If so, what server type would be preferred? PvP or PvE? Also, which side? Guardian or Defiant?

I'm looking forward to starting up my character but I always find MMOs much more enjoyable in a guild so it would be nice for there to be a Euro GAF one :)

Hixx

LordAlu said:
I was hoping to start playing Rift today but my CE has been delayed till Saturday.

*vadernooooo.jpg*

Instead, I shall ask these totally important questions:

It looks to me like we have a GAF US guild (Lotus Cross), but I can't see anywhere that in the thread about a Euro GAF guild. Do we have one, and if so what are the details?

If so, what server type would be preferred? PvP or PvE? Also, which side? Guardian or Defiant?

I'm looking forward to starting up my character but I always find MMOs much more enjoyable in a guild so it would be nice for there to be a Euro GAF one :)

A few (incl. me) have asked about a Euro guild but it doesn't seem like there's enough interest. I'm playing on Overlook Guardian atm cos every other server was High/Full when I started.

Wes

venison crêpe
LordAlu said:

Sure. Maybe we should see exactly how much interest we can gather?

Just see how many names we hit over the weekend. No doubt EU guys who are buying the game anyway will check in to this thread. Can always add their name to the list:

LordAlu
HixxSAFC
Wes

Ferny

Fourman said:
Enjoying the hell out of this game. I love that you can get 4 roles and switch to them on the fly whenever needed. Been playing a Warden/Sentinel/Purifier so far.

Ok so how are you enjoying that combo? I started with that and while I hardly died, I just wasn't doing any great damage. It took a while to kill mobs.

Hawk269

Buggy Loop said:
What the hell. You had no idea there was crafting, even though they pretty much take your hand with the tutorial to introduce you to it?

I for one im glad there's no guide or a huge database to look for everything, its part the new mmo experience, being lost and discovering things. It has been since FFXI and EQ i've had this feeling.

lol..well it has been fun discovering the game to be honest. Sometimes, it is just the little things that I need help with. Like the whole using the crafting wheel..still have not figured that out..but all in all it has been fun discovering the game and what it has to offer.

For me the Rifts that come out are just way too often and at times they spawn so close ot each other. At one point I counted 7 Rifts or so all close to each other. Great for gaing exp and items, but I think it should be a little less, but that is just me.

Morn

Banned
Hawk269 said:
lol..well it has been fun discovering the game to be honest. Sometimes, it is just the little things that I need help with. Like the whole using the crafting wheel..still have not figured that out..but all in all it has been fun discovering the game and what it has to offer.

For me the Rifts that come out are just way too often and at times they spawn so close ot each other. At one point I counted 7 Rifts or so all close to each other. Great for gaing exp and items, but I think it should be a little less, but that is just me.

When there are that many rifts, it's an invasion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, what server/faction is the GAF guild on? Is it open-invite?

AceBandage said:
If it was any other guild than Goon Squad, I'd agree.
They're all douchebags.

In any game which has PvP, being with the Goons is the best thing on Earth. They LIVE to fuck with other people. I was with the Goons in Aion and it was hilarious fucking with people and killing and ganking them, at least until everybody quit after the launch month. Then it sucked.

The best part about the Goons is they just don't give a shit. They'll attack Sanctum and get wiped by a single guard and they'll all laugh about it and show up to do it again and again. That's why in the end the SRS BSNS factions in EVE couldn't ever beat the Goons, because you know Internet Spaceships Is SRS BSNS to some people. In the end the Goons just got bored and mass-quit EVE, which hear is much suckier and less fun now that the Goons have mostly left.

LordAlu

Wes said:
Sure. Maybe we should see exactly how much interest we can gather?

Just see how many names we hit over the weekend. No doubt EU guys who are buying the game anyway will check in to this thread. Can always add their name to the list:

LordAlu
HixxSAFC
Wes
Great idea. Any Euro GAFfer picking up the game today and fancy putting together a Euro guild quote this with what faction (Guardian/Defiant) and player style (PvP/PvE) you'd prefer :)

KKRT00

That's why in the end the SRS BSNS factions in EVE couldn't ever beat the Goons, because you know Internet Spaceships Is SRS BSNS to some people. In the end the Goons just got bored and mass-quit EVE, which hear is much suckier and less fun now that the Goons have mostly left.
Did You even play this game? They did give a shit in EVE and they dont get bored, they quit after alliance fail and being totally pushed out from Delve.

Dont know how it is in other games [but i heard that quite similar], but in EVE most of Goons were just immature trolls, they smack You, spam local, exploit the game and run if they didnt have fleet advantage. They were the worst big alliance in EVE, really awful, but they did have quite smart leadership though.

Ferny73 said:
Ok so how are you enjoying that combo? I started with that and while I hardly died, I just wasn't doing any great damage. It took a while to kill mobs.

Yeah it takes awhile but I have a lot of patience. I just purchased a second role so I am going to spec a damage/healer class for the rest of my leveling.

Wes

venison crêpe
Looks like the Royal Mail haven't got rid of their Christmas backlog or something and I wont be getting it today. Amazon need to renegotiate their contract with them.

LordAlu

Wes said:
Looks like the Royal Mail haven't got rid of their Christmas backlog or something and I wont be getting it today. Amazon need to renegotiate their contract with them.
If you bought the CE, it's late everywhere. We got a message at work saying it had only arrived at their distribution centre late yesterday, which means it would ship today to arrive tomorrow. :(

Hixx

LordAlu said:
Great idea. Any Euro GAFfer picking up the game today and fancy putting together a Euro guild quote this with what faction (Guardian/Defiant) and player style (PvP/PvE) you'd prefer :)

Pref Defiant but not bothered whether PvE or PvP.

glaurung

Been getting into this game on the Argent server/shard in the EU region.

Looks like a genius breed between WoW/EQ2/WAR but I will reserve my final thoughts for when I hit 30 or more... or if I hit that region at all.

Wes

venison crêpe
LordAlu said:
If you bought the CE, it's late everywhere. We got a message at work saying it had only arrived at their distribution centre late yesterday, which means it would ship today to arrive tomorrow. :(

I went for the standard. Annoying thing is that even though I have Prime they send out pre-orders by Royal Mail.

LordAlu

Wes said:
Oh woot it has arrived. I take it all back Mr Postman. You do fine work.
Congrats! Still gotta wait till tomorrow for mine.
Might as well pick a server and start up. Both Hixx and myself prefer Defiant, and I myself would prefer PvP but I'm not bothered that much. Hopefully the rest of Euro GAF isn't too far ahead from headstart or haven't started yet so we can get some more on! :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1stStrike said:
It's in the OP in bolded text o_0. We're defiant on belmont. It's open invite for gaffers and we have a website here.

Thanks much!

I'm now just debating whether to start up a Mage or a Rogue...

Top Bottom