• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Morn

Banned
EVERYONE seems to be bitching about losing their turtle mount.

That's why you buy the Collector's Edition, dumbasses.

1stStrike

Banned
Lol I can't wait to get on and see this. They can always collect artifacts - there's a turtle mount you can purchase for 100 lucky coins which offers 120% run speed.

BrettWeir

1stStrike said:
Lol I can't wait to get on and see this. They can always collect artifacts - there's a turtle mount you can purchase for 100 lucky coins which offers 120% run speed.
100?! Jesus. I have 3 lol. Glad I got CE.

Morn

Banned
People are screaming that they're going to quit and sue Trion over the stupid mount. BUY A FUCKING CE YOU IDIOTS.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Morn said:
People are screaming that they're going to quit and sue Trion over the stupid mount. BUY A FUCKING CE YOU IDIOTS.

I must've missed something, i thought the turtle mounts were only from the CE? I bought normal version, did i miss on a mount all this time? Oh well, bought mine but..

BrettWeir

Buggy Loop said:
I must've missed something, i thought the turtle mounts were only from the CE? I bought normal version, did i miss on a mount all this time? Oh well, bought mine but..
Correct. CE get turtle mount for free. They only let everyone have it to take care of preorder people that ordered physical copies of the game. Without a retail key, they would have been without their turtle until they got their copies.

So I haven't been following this game at all, but I've read a lot of this thread. I'm in need of a post-wow addiction, is this game it or will it be another War, conan, etc... and die out after 6 months?

Morn

Banned
scorpscarx said:
So I haven't been following this game at all, but I've read a lot of this thread. I'm in need of a post-wow addiction, is this game it or will it be another War, conan, etc... and die out after 6 months?

This game is it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice interview about Rift over on RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/04/interview-will-cook-on-rifts-launch/

I gotta say, my opinion of the game has really turned around over the last two months. I absolutely love the game now. Messing around with the various souls is just so much fun, and I love that I can swap between roles that play very differently. I'm really happy that, from the interview at least, it doesn't sound like they are going to worry too much about PvP balancing of individual souls, and instead focus on making sure that there are a ton of crazy soul options available for people to mix and match with. Although the game world isn't a sandbox at all, the soul system certainly is!

scorpscarx said:

I've got a feeling this is it for the foreseeable future, at least. Trion is an awesome developer and is extremely dedicated to improving their game and listening to their community. Assuming that there aren't massive changes in the staff working there, I think Rift is going to do very well for quite a while.

Now I really want it, but I need to hold back on my video game buying spree lately. My want list for this year is insane... It used to be easy to buy the good games, skip the crap. This year it's buy the great games, skip the really good ones.

Concept17

So I'm considering switching to a rogue. I'm liking my Cleric well enough, but I'm not really satisfied with the dps, and the fact that every group I join usually consists of 2-4 clerics. I also really enjoyed my Assassin in beta, so I may end up going that route. I'll have to get an invite on my alt later tonight.

Hixx

Concept17 said:
So I'm considering switching to a rogue. I'm liking my Cleric well enough, but I'm not really satisfied with the dps, and the fact that every group I join usually consists of 2-4 clerics. I also really enjoyed my Assassin in beta, so I may end up going that route. I'll have to get an invite on my alt later tonight.

Everyone and their dog seems to be a cleric which is a shame. Lots of warriors too, not as many rogues and mages are incredibly rare in my experience so far.

TheExodu5

Banned
Rogues and mages are easily the most popular on my server (Reclaimer).

I would guess something to the order of:

Rogue/Mage/Warrior/Cleric: 5/4/2/3

TheExodu5 said:
Rogues and mages are easily the most popular on my server (Reclaimer).
That seems to be the case on Belmont as well. As a tank I can get into a group about to do a dungeon within seconds. And more than likely it's 3 rogues, a cleric or chloromancer, and me. Actually once I did 4 bards and myself, we didn't do too bad.

1stStrike

Banned
Shimmersand is one of my favorite zones by far. The story that's happening in Fortune's Shore is really good and I love all the quests that take place IN the city and involve the residents. There's even a prison that's been overrun by inmates that you need to infiltrate at one point. The whole zone looks great too. I've taken a bunch of screenshots which I'll put up sometime in the next couple of days.

I'm up to lvl 45 now and really enjoying myself. Should be hitting lvl 50 sometime next week.

LordAlu

Finally got my CE key (copy is at work to pick up tomorrow), so just downloading the game now. Wes/Hixx chosen a server?

Wes

venison crêpe
LordAlu said:
Finally got my CE key (copy is at work to pick up tomorrow), so just downloading the game now. Wes/Hixx chosen a server?

I've been playing on the US server so far.

Was a rogue and was enjoying the game but then I switched over to Cleric and I love it now, any good leveling builds for the cleric? Right now im a Inq/Shaman/Sentinel, its ok but I kill things pretty slow.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Concept17 said:

What level are you? Have you tried a Shaman/Inquisitor/Warden combo?

It's what I use to solo right now at lvl 26, and it does some pretty decent damage.

TheExodu5

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Was a rogue and was enjoying the game but then I switched over to Cleric and I love it now, any good leveling builds for the cleric? Right now im a Inq/Shaman/Sentinel, its ok but I kill things pretty slow.

I'm not sure if there's any way around that, to be honest.

I did Warden/Sentinel/Inquisitor for my first leveling spec. I used the 2 instant DoTs from Inquisitor, and then spammed the instant damage spell from Warden. It takes around 9 casts to kill an even level mob (at level 27), each cast being instant.

Cleric makes up for it with very little down time in between fights, since the Sentinel instant heal and Warden instant HoT are more than enough healing. Using a damage class like Shaman or Druid may have been preferable to using a Warden skill for damage, especially since auto swing damage would go way up. Inq/Shaman/Sentinel, which you've chose, is probably the best I could think of.

edit: after looking at it some more, I think you definitely want Druid with Shaman, mainly for the increased 5% crit, since so many of the Shaman abilities are reliant on crits.

The third class could be Inquisitor for the 2 dots, Justicar for the self healing on melee, or Sentinel/Warden for spell self heals.

edit: specing into Justicar up to Reparation might be worthwhile for dps'ing outside of leveling.

1stStrike

Banned
I used to have my doubts on assassin being good, but after making a new build with most of my points in assassin and only 8 in riftstalker and 6 in bladedancer... it's damn good. Like, really good. I get 5 CP from two attacks, I heal myself just by attack (poison heals me every time I hit a mob), I can drop combat and into stealth any time I want, move at full speed while stealthed, and impale rocks (516 base damage + weapon damage at 5 CP).

It's generally a solo mob class, so I don't expect to take on more then one or two mobs at a time, but things die quick. I'll open with jagged strike and usually in about 6 - 7 seconds the mob is dead (and I'm fighting things with 2.8 - 3.4k hp on average atm).

Though, with side steps I can take on 4 - 5 mobs of equal or greater level and generally survive or get damn close to it. I accidently aggro'd 5 lvl 46 mobs yesterday (I'm lvl 45) and had 4 dead and the 5th half dead before I finally died (slip away was on cool down).

Saboteur is also bad ass for rifting and pvp. I hit a mob for 3300 damage last night with detonate 0_o

BigAT

Does anyone know if there are any decent Rift podcasts around? I'm always looking for something to listen to while I'm playing.

I know it's been said many times but Roles are pretty damn ingenious.

I just bought my 3rd and I have every warrior soul except reaver (actually I think I just haven't turned the quest item in yet). So I have

Role 1: Paragon/Riftblade/Void Knight - my go to role for solo questing, also does me well when fighting invasion bosses.
Role 2: Paladin/Warlord/Void Knight - Dungeon tanking, also fighting elite rifts when there's no other tanks around.
Role 3: Champion/Riftblade/Beastmaster - Starting to use this more when solo questing and fighting rifts when I want to try and do as much damage as I can (AE attacks), but mostly I just like it for the nice change of pace.

not really sure what I would do with role 4, but more than likely this will be my pvp focused role. I will probably use the PVP role (vindicator?), and maybe reaver/riftblade so that people can't run from me.

Anyway, it's really cool to have 3 entirely separate ways to play without needing 3 characters and have all my progress spent in one place. In a way I don't feel compelled to play as much since I don't really need to level up quickly to experience the game in a new way.

TheExodu5

Banned
lol...Shaman is pretty stupid.

Since all Shaman abilities are instant, and all but one either work on a 6 second cooldown or a proc, I just set up a macro that uses them in order. Then all I do is spam that one button.

cast Lightning Hammer
cast Massive Blow
cast Fated Blow
cast Jolt
cast Crushing Blow

1stStrike

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

Since all Shaman abilities are instant, and all but one either work on a 6 second cooldown or a proc, I just set up a macro that uses them in order. Then all I do is spam that one button.

cast Lightning Hammer
cast Massive Blow
cast Fated Blow
cast Jolt
cast Crushing Blow

That can go for just about any melee class, really. I keep them all separate rather then macro'd for the fun factor.

TheExodu5

Banned
1stStrike said:
That can go for just about any melee class, really. I keep them all separate rather then macro'd for the fun factor.

I would if I had the ability to set up proc indicators. Taking my eyes of the center of the screen will only hurt my play ability.

Can Salvation and Reparation both be on at the same time?

TheExodu5 said:
I'm not sure if there's any way around that, to be honest.

I did Warden/Sentinel/Inquisitor for my first leveling spec. I used the 2 instant DoTs from Inquisitor, and then spammed the instant damage spell from Warden. It takes around 9 casts to kill an even level mob (at level 27), each cast being instant.

Cleric makes up for it with very little down time in between fights, since the Sentinel instant heal and Warden instant HoT are more than enough healing. Using a damage class like Shaman or Druid may have been preferable to using a Warden skill for damage, especially since auto swing damage would go way up. Inq/Shaman/Sentinel, which you've chose, is probably the best I could think of.

edit: after looking at it some more, I think you definitely want Druid with Shaman, mainly for the increased 5% crit, since so many of the Shaman abilities are reliant on crits.

The third class could be Inquisitor for the 2 dots, Justicar for the self healing on melee, or Sentinel/Warden for spell self heals.

edit: specing into Justicar up to Reparation might be worthwhile for dps'ing outside of leveling.
Thanks for the tips, I will test out Druid, they have a pet that heals? crazy lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmm...I think I'll settle on Shaman/Druid/Sentinel for DPS now. Sentinel seems good to spec into for 5% spell power (attack power for shamans), 20% crit damage bonus, and 5% crit mob debuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:

cast Lightning Hammer
cast Massive Blow
cast Fated Blow
cast Jolt
cast Crushing Blow

My order is

cast Jolt
cast Fated Blow
cast Massive Blow
cast Lightning Hammer
cast Crushing Blow

I think this is the most efficient way to make sure you are always using your reactive attacks as they come up.

1stStrike said:

Spamming a bunch of hotkeys across various locations in a specific order does not equal fun for me.

Especially with the Shaman, since so many attacks are reactive, it gets annoying to miss one if you're not paying 100% attention.

TheExodu5 said:
Hmmm...I think I'll settle on Shaman/Druid/Sentinel for DPS now. Sentinel seems good to spec into for 5% spell power (attack power for shamans), 20% crit damage bonus, and 5% crit mob debuff.

Have you tried Shaman/Inquisitor/Warden at all? I think it's the best combo for PvE soloing. Just put 14 points into Inquisitor to get Contempt (heals from Vex), and Soul Drain (awesome AE attack), while making sure to get the critical bonus innates as well Armor of Devotion for extra crit chance. Just pull everything with Vex and throw up Healing Spray from your Warden soul and you won't lose much health. If you get 3 or 4 targets, Vex them all, use Healing spray, pop up the Shaman's Glacial Shield and then use Soul Drain and Avalanche Strike (making sure to use your reactives as they come up) to AE them down. Just make sure to refresh Vex and Healing Spray if you need to.

I've been using this build (level 27 at the moment), and I find that I can tear up pretty much anything in solo PvE:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10nde.Vxdxkb.Vxkb

TheExodu5

Banned
The main issue I see with bringing in Inquisitor is that its talents don't synergize with Shaman at all.

Shaman/Druid/Sentinel actually seems like it could double as an optimal dungeon/raid DPS spec on top of leveling (with the Sentinel Healing Breath being all that you need to keep yourself healed against 2-3 mobs).

Here's my guess at an optimum DPS spec:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10naj.Ex0xtrcVo.VV.V0xz

There would be 5 more levels of points to distribute...which might vary depending on the situation. Strike of the Maelstrom could be useful...but it almost doesn't seem worth the points. It depends on how many AoE fights there are where damage is a real issue.

Zefah said:
My order is

cast Jolt
cast Fated Blow
cast Massive Blow
cast Lightning Hammer
cast Crushing Blow

I think this is the most efficient way to make sure you are always using your reactive attacks as they come up.

Right. I didn't take into account that the 2 proc abilities don't take up a gcd.

nyong

Banned
Every day I grow more impressed with this game. Just made 39 on my Warrior and having a blast tanking dungeons. I roll with another warrior and we switch back and forth dps/tanking each run. Champion is super-strong in PvP too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
The main issue I see with bringing in Inquisitor is that its talents don't synergize with Shaman at all.

Shaman/Druid/Sentinel actually seems like it could double as an optimal dungeon/raid DPS spec on top of leveling (with the Sentinel Healing Breath being all that you need to keep yourself healed against 2-3 mobs).

Here's my guess at an optimum DPS spec:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10naj.Ex0xtrcVo.VV.V0xz

There would be 5 more levels of points to distribute...which might vary depending on the situation. Strike of the Maelstrom could be useful...but it almost doesn't seem worth the points. It depends on how many AoE fights there are where damage is a real issue.

I guess I just don't see how the Druid soul really contributes to DPS compared to Inquisitor. Other than the +5% chance to crit bonus, what is it really bringing to the table?

With Inquisitor you get +5% critical chance with damaging spells, +20% critical hit damage and healing bonus, a buff that boosts your Endurance and gives you an additional +3% chance to hit critically, a really good DoT that also heals you for 90% of the damage it does, another decent instant cast nuke/DoT on a cooldown, and a really powerful AE spell. You also have the ability to nuke from range with some fairly devastating nukes.

Hixx

TheExodu5 said:
I would if I had the ability to set up proc indicators. Taking my eyes of the center of the screen will only hurt my play ability.

Can Salvation and Reparation both be on at the same time?

Doesn't a great big button pop up just under your character? On my Champion, Inescapable Fury does anyway..

Prodigal

Banned
Zefah said:
My order is

cast Jolt
cast Fated Blow
cast Massive Blow
cast Lightning Hammer
cast Crushing Blow

How'd you get that macro to work? I tried doing that for my Bard's motifs to save space on my hotbar but it won't me do it.

nyong

Banned
Prodigal said:
How'd you get that macro to work? I tried doing that for my Bard's motifs to save space on my hotbar but it won't me do it.
You can't macro a sequence of skills together. What you can do is put a bunch of reactives or cooldowns on the same macro. It will look at the list of skills in your macro, run the first skill which is available down the list, then stop. So say you have 3 skills macroed, each with a 10-second cooldown:

/cast attack1
/cast attack2
/cast attack3

The first time you press the macro, attack 1 will activate and the macro will stop:

/cast attack1 (10 sec cooldown)
/cast attack2
/cast attack3

The second time you press the macro, 2 will activate--as 1 is on cooldown--and the macro will stop:

/cast attack1 (9 sec cooldown)
/cast attack2 (10 sec cooldown)
/cast attack3

...and so on. Basically you prioritize your skills by the ones you want activated first. You can do the same thing with buffs, assuming the buffs have a recast wait time...which is nice. You can make a single re-buffing macro for pvp which you simply spam before heading in.

Prodigal

Banned
Oh okay the reason it wasn't working for my Motifs is because there's no cooldown on those, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't trying to make the macro do the work for me, it'd just be convenient to have them all bound to one button.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
I guess I just don't see how the Druid soul really contributes to DPS compared to Inquisitor. Other than the +5% chance to crit bonus, what is it really bringing to the table?

With Inquisitor you get +5% critical chance with damaging spells, +20% critical hit damage and healing bonus, a buff that boosts your Endurance and gives you an additional +3% chance to hit critically, a really good DoT that also heals you for 90% of the damage it does, another decent instant cast nuke/DoT on a cooldown, and a really powerful AE spell. You also have the ability to nuke from range with some fairly devastating nukes.

+5% to crit is a huge bonus, considering so much of the Shaman's DPS is reliant on crits. +5% crit to damaging spells is useless, since that will only up the damage of your Vex, and nothing else.

Keep in mind that crits on a Shaman proc: Jolt, 4% mana regen, 30% more damage on next attack. However, it's also worth noting that the Shaman also automatically gets 100% crit for 7/60 seconds, which also diminshes crit value a bit. We also don't know just how much crit the Druid is going to end up getting with Raid level gear. It's possible there's a hard crit cap that will be reached, making Druid then useless.

I didn't notice Inquisitor had another +20% to crit damage though...now it's debatable as to which is better. Given the fact that Druid still has 5% extra Attack power from the first tier of talents, and the first tier of Inquisitor talents is essentially wasted, I'm still leaning towards Druid.

We need max leveled people to try both specs and run parsers and see which does better.

edit: for a leveling spec though, Inquisitor is definitely better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
+5% to crit is a huge bonus, considering so much of the Shaman's DPS is reliant on crits. +5% crit to damaging spells is useless, since that will only up the damage of your Vex, and nothing else.

Keep in mind that crits on a Shaman proc: Jolt, 4% mana regen, 30% more damage on next attack. However, it's also worth noting that the Shaman also automatically gets 100% crit for 7/60 seconds, which also diminshes crit value a bit.

I didn't notice Inquisitor had another +20% to crit damage though...now it's debatable as to which is better.

We need max leveled people to try both specs and run parsers and see which does better.

Inquisitor's Armor of Devotion buff provides +3% crit chance to everything, so the difference is only +2% crit in Druid's favor.

Also, spell crits are nothing for Shamans to scoff at. It's not just every tick of Vex and Sanction Heretic that can crit, but also the DoT from Lightning Hammer, Jolt, and I'm pretty sure the extra damage from Vengeance of the Winter, too.

Hixx

Werewolf invasion in Gloamwood is fun. Better than Silverwood's invasions anyway. Last boss was really cool, took a raid and a half ages to kill him and he hit pretty hard as well. I can imagine the high level ones to be truly difficult. I think this game will bring back to the feeling of realm/shard community similar to what there was in WoW pre-battlegroups.

Infinity

For those of you that left WoW for this, what are your thoughts days after release? I heard it had a solid release, but haven't actually played the game yet. Thanks..

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
Inquisitor's Armor of Devotion buff provides +3% crit chance to everything, so the difference is only +2% crit in Druid's favor.

Also, spell crits are nothing for Shamans to scoff at. It's not just every tick of Vex and Sanction Heretic that can crit, but also the DoT from Lightning Hammer, Jolt, and I'm pretty sure the extra damage from Vengeance of the Winter, too.

In that case, Inquisitor is sounding pretty good. Worth nothing though, that the +3% crit chance is only to abilities, and not melee autoswing.

I'm probably going to spec Inquisitor mainly for the Vex self heals. Nice for leveling.

vesp

Infinity said:
For those of you that left WoW for this, what are your thoughts days after release? I heard it had a solid release, but haven't actually played the game yet. Thanks..
I've played pretty much every major mmo post WoW and Rift by far is the most complete package of all of them. It's stolen just about everything good from all of them while adding a couple neat wrinkles of its own. My two worries about long term viability are how much end game content they can get out quickly (there is an existing raid end game but I don't think it's going to last very long considering the leveling curve is so short) and that the sandbox nature of the soul system, while awesome, has the possibility of making characters a little bland over time.

If you are super bored of WoW, I think you could do a lot worse and it should at least last you until WoW puts out the next huge wave of content.

I actually wish leveling was slowed down a bit, considering there's only 4 base archetypes you could literally have 1 of every character maxed out in well under a month of hardcore play. I think that might hurt long term subscriber numbers and also bring the warhammer problem of zones being designed around having tons of people in them but that not being the case a few months after launch. Fortunately the zones also do work well as WoW style quest theme parks, so you wont be as screwed as you were in Warhammer but it will cut down on the flavor of the game.

TheExodu5

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
Doesn't a great big button pop up just under your character? On my Champion, Inescapable Fury does anyway..

Yeah...I guess I must have accidentally moved it. It was happening at the bottom right of the screen.

Top Bottom