• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Wes

venison crêpe
LordAlu said:
Hmm, I only get EU servers on my list. :p

I've chosen Scarhide as an EU server, Defiant of course :)

You can choose region in Settings in the launcher by the way.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
In that case, Inquisitor is sounding pretty good. Worth nothing though, that the +3% crit chance is only to abilities, and not melee autoswing.

I'm probably going to spec Inquisitor mainly for the Vex self heals. Nice for leveling.

Inquisitor main spec is stupid good for leveling. Soul Drain is a grinding machine and is totally ridiculous with Fanaticism because it causes all of the detonations to crit. Been using Inquisitor/Purifier/Sentinel (the latter souls really only for the buffed shield and instant heal for convenience) and I'm about a level and a half from 50.

Man just completed the first guardian instance, was pretty damn epic for a lowbie place, cant wait to see what raids and level 50 instance look like.

GhostRidah said:
Man just completed the first guardian instance, was pretty damn epic for a lowbie place, cant wait to see what raids and level 50 instance look like.

Yeah, the starting Guardian instance is beautiful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wallach said:
Inquisitor main spec is stupid good for leveling. Soul Drain is a grinding machine and is totally ridiculous with Fanaticism because it causes all of the detonations to crit. Been using Inquisitor/Purifier/Sentinel (the latter souls really only for the buffed shield and instant heal for convenience) and I'm about a level and a half from 50.

Yeah, Soul Drain is pretty sick. I can't wait until I get Fanaticism. With my current solo build I need to get lvl 44. I plan on getting Rage of the North on my Shaman soul first. With both Rage of the North and Fanaticism, I'll be able to take down hordes of enemies in seconds.

AceBandage said:
Yeah, the starting Guardian instance is beautiful.

Best snow effects in any MMORPG!

TheExodu5

Banned
Zefah said:
Yeah, Soul Drain is pretty sick. I can't wait until I get Fanaticism. With my current solo build I need to get lvl 44. I plan on getting Rage of the North on my Shaman soul first. With both Rage of the North and Fanaticism, I'll be able to take down hordes of enemies in seconds.

Best snow effects in any MMORPG!

Deep Shaman and Inquisitor wouldn't go very well together. Rage of the North won't work on Soul Drain.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
Deep Shaman and Inquisitor wouldn't go very well together. Rage of the North won't work on Soul Drain.

Nope! But it works on Shaman AE melee attacks! Use Fanaticism and Soul Drain to start, then trigger Rage of the North and finish all of the enemies off with AE melee attacks that crit every time.

So what's the general consensus *so far* on the game? Is it good? I get customers asking about it and I have no idea what to tell them. How does it compare to Aion and WoW?

ilikemonkeys said:
So what's the general consensus *so far* on the game? Is it good? I get customers asking about it and I have no idea what to tell them. How does it compare to Aion and WoW?

Most people here seem to love it, but they did the same with Aion and most MMO's at launch as well and we saw how they turn out.

At least early impressions are positive, but how the game is looked at after the first month or two always seems to be a big thing.

1stStrike

Banned
If you guys want to see snow effects wait until you get to Iron Pine Peak. That place is all snowy mountains, blizzards and thick pine trees. It's easy to get lost or wander off the trail up there and it's always snowing. Some pretty cool ice caves too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ilikemonkeys said:

It's really quite amazing. I was very skeptical about it early on, but it's grown on me and I love it now. It definitely has far more staying power than any of the non-WoW "modern MMORPGs".

bill0527

Just picked this up and all patched up but I have no idea where to start a character.

I see in the OP that Belmont is the GAF server, but it says full. I'm looking for a PvE server. Have any other gaffers started a guild on a server that isn't full?

BrettWeir

bill0527 said:
Just picked this up and all patched up but I have no idea where to start a character.

I see in the OP that Belmont is the GAF server, but it says full. I'm looking for a PvE server. Have any other gaffers started a guild on a server that isn't full?

I would just say queue up. Most servers will have queues on Saturday night.

nataku

bill0527 said:

http://www.riftgame.com/en/status/index.php

I say just stick with Belmont (the GAF server). Queues will die down as people quit, especially after the free month is up. Might as well stay on a server that has a shot of being populated after the free month than going to a medium/low population server now and risk getting stuck on a dead server.

1stStrike

Banned
bill0527 said:

There's really no queues on belmont atm. I've been getting right in every time since the game officially released on the 1st. Feel free to join up with us - we've got a lot of members and about 66 out of 70ish members are gaffers.

Somnia

Man the last week has sucked so bad. Figures its the week of Rift. Thank god my schedule starts getting back to normal Monday I'm getting Rift withdrawals =/

LordAlu

1stStrike said:
There's really no queues on belmont atm. I've been getting right in every time since the game officially released on the 1st. Feel free to join up with us - we've got a lot of members and about 66 out of 70ish members are gaffers.
Since the EU guild idea kinda hasn't work and Wes has shown me how to switch regions, I may just join up on Belmont too. :)

BigAT

I hit 48 on my Warrior tonight. I am likely leveling faster than I had planned on it because I feel a bit obligated to my guild since I'm basically the only Warrior we can potentially use for Expert dungeons (I think I'm actually the only one above level 40 right now).

Is anyone else currently tanking end-game instances or planning on doing so? I would love to have someone to talk shop with and discuss builds, strategy and everything else.

1stStrike

Banned
LordAlu said:
Since the EU guild idea kinda hasn't work and Wes has shown me how to switch regions, I may just join up on Belmont too. :)

You're more then welcome to. I haven't yet seen the guild empty whether it be 6 am EST or 6 pm EST. There's always people on and we have a healthy crafting community within the guild.

BigAT said:
I hit 48 on my Warrior tonight. I am likely leveling faster than I had planned on it because I feel a bit obligated to my guild since I'm basically the only Warrior we can potentially use for Expert dungeons (I think I'm actually the only one above level 40 right now).

Is anyone else currently tanking end-game instances or planning on doing so? I would love to have someone to talk shop with and discuss builds, strategy and everything else.

I plan on it as a rogue. I'm lvl 46 atm (nearly 47) and in my tanking gear I'm sitting at over 7k hp / 38% mitigation (this is just straight up armor/buffs and doesn't include my in-combat mitigation skills)

Wes

venison crêpe
1stStrike said:
You're more then welcome to. I haven't yet seen the guild empty whether it be 6 am EST or 6 pm EST. There's always people on and we have a healthy crafting community within the guild.

Also I'm having no ping or lag issues whatsoever. I've been in rift invasion rights with about at least 30 people and haven't noticed a thing.

jiien

Hey guys, mind if I join Lotus Cross? Just dropping a line in here to confirm that Jiien in game is me here. I'll register on the other forum before I PM someone.

Edit: Or you know what, I'll just wait till you guys respond here. Don't want to bother people.

RPGCrazied

Waiting on the free trial. I'm not going to spend $50 on the game, then sub up and hate it, thats wasted money. I think all MMO's should have a free trial right out of the gate. WoW is starting to get stale so. I wanted to try Aion too, but they don't really have a free trial. They do, but it has a buddy bullshit referral program.

Wes

venison crêpe
jiien said:
Hey guys, mind if I join Lotus Cross? Just dropping a line in here to confirm that Jiien in game is me here. I'll register on the other forum before I PM someone.

Edit: Or you know what, I'll just wait till you guys respond here. Don't want to bother people.

PM someone. Say you're from GAF and you've registered on the other forums. That's what I did and I was in within 5 minutes :)

axdenied

Neo Member
Is the login server currently down for anyone else ? Can't seem to login.

Also, which class combination would you recommend to someone who likes to play Mages in WoW ? Are the mages in this game identical in play-style ?

TheExodu5

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Waiting on the free trial. I'm not going to spend $50 on the game, then sub up and hate it, thats wasted money. I think all MMO's should have a free trial right out of the gate. WoW is starting to get stale so. I wanted to try Aion too, but they don't really have a free trial. They do, but it has a buddy bullshit referral program.

No MMO will ever come out with a free trial at launch. It would only reduce day one purchases. The nature of the genre means that many people buy the game, play for a month, and unsub. It's not because the games are necessarily bad either, it's mostly because a large portion of the players are WoW players that want a diversion for a month and then go back to WoW. The rest of the playerbase are players which tend to migrate from one MMO to the next (EQ -> DAOC -> etc...).

Pretty much all MMOs go down in popularity after the first month, and for that reason, they are heavily reliant on day one sales to pay for much of the development. Now, I think Rift may actually have a shot at growing over time, since word of mouth is very strong.

Let's just say that if you like WoW, but want something new, you'll love Rift. If you hated WoW, you're unlikely to like Rift much more. In the end, they're very similar games.

TimeKillr

I just got done main healing a Realm of the Fae run with my Chloromancer/Lock/Dominator spec...

I've never had so much fun healing. DPS to heal? Thank you :) The only downside is that you have to be able to heal the mobs, which is a bit of a problem if you're too low, but otherwise it's just.. amazing...

TheExodu5

Banned
Furthermore, if you need any other convincing, I dare you to see if anyone who has played it here thinks it's not either the best or second best (behind WoW) MMO on the market today. I think very few people would share that viewpoint.

It's too early to call the raiding experience good or not, but the rest is fantastic. The leveling is great, PvP is a lot of fun (less balanced, but more volatile than WoW), there are tons of achievements and fun side-stuff to do, the dungeons are well thought out and unique.

axdenied

Neo Member
Amazing online community.

I simply ask which class closely ressembles Mages in WoW in the chat, and I'm bombarded with insults and nasty PMs.

Seriously, this is why I'm starting to hate MMOs, the fact that people think they're superior thanks to the anonymity.

Goddamn, I prefer not to play if asking a simple question nets me this reaction.

axdenied said:

I simply ask which class closely ressembles Mages in WoW in the chat, and I'm bombarded with insults and nasty PMs.

Seriously, this is why I'm starting to hate MMOs, the fact that people think they're superior thanks to the anonymity.

Goddamn, I prefer not to play if asking a simple question nets me this reaction.

To be fair... you did mention WoW in chat...

axdenied

Neo Member
AceBandage said:
It's like talking about CoD in Medal of Honor.
It's taboo.

Well, that's stupid.

I don't understand how my enjoyment of another game in any ways impact their enjoyment of this game.

We reached a point where playing certain types of games is considered hostile ?

In any case, I should have known better than to ask a question in general chat on the weekend.

Jangocube

Banned
axdenied said:

The more people that play, the more rude people you will get. Happens with every online game that gets more popular over time.

TimeKillr

axdenied said:
And... ? I don't get it.

Am I not allowed to enjoy WoW too .. ? What did I do wrong ?

You are, but there are still plenty of idiotic kids who are playing Rift, which means you'll get idiots yelling at you for mentioning WoW.

It's ridiculous, but it still happens. Asking about that makes you look like a WoW kiddie to them, and they don't want that to invade "their game". The forums are FILLED with comments like that. It's sad but that's the way it is.

BTW, if you want a WoW mage, you pretty much need to be a Pyro/Storm/Dominator Mage, afaik. :)

axdenied

Neo Member
TimeKillr said:
You are, but there are still plenty of idiotic kids who are playing Rift, which means you'll get idiots yelling at you for mentioning WoW.

It's ridiculous, but it still happens. Asking about that makes you look like a WoW kiddie to them, and they don't want that to invade "their game". The forums are FILLED with comments like that. It's sad but that's the way it is.

BTW, if you want a WoW mage, you pretty much need to be a Pyro/Storm/Dominator Mage, afaik. :)

Thanks TimeKillr, much appreciated, I'll try that.

I really hope that the general population in the game isn't as nasty as the ones I recently interacted with.

axdenied said:

Join Lotus Cross, stick to guild chat. General chat is nothing but a hive of scum and villainy.

axdenied

Neo Member
Darkshier said:
Join Lotus Cross, stick to guild chat. General chat is nothing but a hive of scum and villainy.

I'd love to, but all officers seem to be offline.

Do you know anyone that is online at the moment please ?

axdenied said:
I'd love to, but all officers seem to be offline.

Do you know anyone that is online at the moment please ?
I just logged in and checked, nobody online has guild invite privledges. It is only a matter of time before Elvirnith, Ashodin, Somnia or Wallach log online. Add them to your friends list and send them a /tell when they get online.

BattleMonkey said:
Dude you mention WoW in the chat of any other MMO and people will grill you.

I don't see why though. There are a ton of similarities between Rift and WoW. There are also a ton of people out there whos first MMO was WoW and now they are playing Rift. It's only natural to compare new games to your old experiences and Rift and WoW are very similar. But like I said, general chat is just horrid and will really only get you childish responses for most questions.

Raiden said:
Okay, i disliked DC Universe online, i liked World of Warcraft, i want another MMO, i dont want/need a WoW clone, but will i enjoy this game?
Depends on what you think a WoW clone is. I think Rift is very similar if not a Clone of WoW. I still like it a lot more that WoW though. There is enough to set it apart with the Rift events and the soul class system. However, it is not a completely brand new take on the MMO genre. It just takes a lot of what other MMO's have done right and puts it all together.

Raiden

Banned
Okay, i disliked DC Universe online, i liked World of Warcraft, i want another MMO, i dont want/need a WoW clone, but will i enjoy this game?

TheExodu5

Banned
Raiden said:

Yes. It copies the good parts from WoW (interface + controls, general feel of the combat, achievements), but has its own take on things (class system, rifts/invasions), and is a whole no world to explore.

Also, DCUO was terrible, and this will feel like a breath of fresh air after that. :)

axdenied said:
Well, that's stupid.

I don't understand how my enjoyment of another game in any ways impact their enjoyment of this game.

We reached a point where playing certain types of games is considered hostile ?

In any case, I should have known better than to ask a question in general chat on the weekend.

All MMOs (yes, ALL OF THEM) have the WoW crowd, and the anti-WoW crowd playing. The latter will shit on WoW no matter what, even if the game is, in most ways, extremely similar to the one they're currently playing. Mention WoW in any MMO, and you're going to get a flame war started. It's like going to play Killzone 3 online and saying you like Halo.

1stStrike

Banned
For those trying to get in - Wallach should be online sometime today (he's PST so gets on a little later). Ashodin and Somnia are both really busy with work / life atm and I'm also working (as I do every weekend) till 11 pm EST. I will be on all day tomorrow, though.

LordAlu

I'm now up on Belmont, character name of Thoen. Made an application on the boards and have the officers on my friends list to apply when they're online. Got a warrior started up as I always enjoy the melee aspect :) Anyone have any recommendations for a good levelling spec? In beta I always used Champion/Riftblade/Paragon.

Hawk269

bill0527 said:

Just wait in the que if you want to be on Belmont. Unless you have friends or you dont care where you are, but for most Belmont is one of the more popular servers and there will bne que's at times. Last night i played for about 3 hours, stopped to eat dinner and came back and had to wait 30 min to paly due to the que's. But to me it is worth it due to some of the people I have played with.

Joining a guild is pretty cool too because of the perks you get, but some guilds are snoobish and elitist..seems the higher level guild members don't give a hell about their fellow guild members unless they are at teh same level..so your guild will vary.

Hawk269

TheExodu5 said:
Yes. It copies the good parts from WoW (interface + controls, general feel of the combat, achievements), but has its own take on things (class system, rifts/invasions), and is a whole no world to explore.

Also, DCUO was terrible, and this will feel like a breath of fresh air after that. :)

All MMOs (yes, ALL OF THEM) have the WoW crowd, and the anti-WoW crowd playing. The latter will shit on WoW no matter what, even if the game is, in most ways, extremely similar to the one they're currently playing. Mention WoW in any MMO, and you're going to get a flame war started. It's like going to play Killzone 3 online and saying you like Halo.

lol...so true. I never played an MMO for more than a few days and just got back into pc gaming and Rift caught my attention and I am loving it. But you are right, I watch the chat window and the mention of WoW and it starts a war for and against. It is a bit crazy, but some of these guys put 2-3-4-5-6 years of gaming in that game so I can understand the defense for it and on the other hand some 5 year WoW vertarns stopping WoW to play rift.

Erasus

Darkshier said:
There are also a ton of people out there whos first MMO was WoW and now they are playing Rift.

So easy to spot this on upcomming MMOs. WAR = WoW clone!!! Aion = WoW clone!!! etc etc In their world WoW was their first MMO, and thus the only game with servers, quickbars, health, mana/rage, coins, wolves and dungeons. Showed Rohan online (F2P) to a friend once. He said it was a WoW clone, I said Why? His response: "Look at the health bar, its in the same spot as the one in WoW!"

So if the first fps I played was Half-Life 2, can I then say that all fps games are clones of HL2?

Sorry for rant, I just dislike MMO games that see WoW as the first MMO just because it was their first...

Top Bottom