• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Domstercool

I like the twitter feature in this

Auto took my lv10 achievement :D

20110305221648.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
Sweet GM's they're hiring.

Hi Elvirnith. We are sorry for the inconvenience. The NPC is always on the move and needs to to be find. We would live advised you to look at the forum http://www.riftjunkies.com/. Thank you :)

He's in a place I can't get to anymore, which is why I contacted you. It would seem that they're outsourcing their GM's or picking only the ones that are terrible at English.

jiien

How do I get rid of Shardstone if the invasion is over? It's just stuck there on my back, and I can't mount. Very frustrating. I wish there was an actual manual or something.

Edit: Nevermind. Wow, they really need to make a map marker for it, or something. That was stupid. Now I think I'll avoid picking up shardstone.

Ricker

jiien said:
How do I get rid of Shardstone if the invasion is over? It's just stuck there on my back, and I can't mount. Very frustrating. I wish there was an actual manual or something.

Edit: Nevermind. Wow, they really need to make a map marker for it, or something. That was stupid. Now I think I'll avoid picking up shardstone.

I just noticed I had that on my back just now,looks like an oversized purple leech hehe...so that`s what it is,I just logged off while I still had it....so you need to go to a specific place to get rid of it?

Morn

Banned
1stStrike said:
Sweet GM's they're hiring.

He's in a place I can't get to anymore, which is why I contacted you. It would seem that they're outsourcing their GM's or picking only the ones that are terrible at English.

They're not outsourcing. Their CS department is in Austin, Texas which means they're unfortunately getting the Blizzard rejects.

Flib

Whelp, after quitting WoW for the time being, I picked this up and am about to log in for the first time. I'll be playing a warrior and will app to lotus cross when I know what my name is.

I will be tanking, as that's what I've been raiding in WoW for years. Hopefully you guys are looking for more tanks.

jiien

Ricker said:
I just noticed I had that on my back just now,looks like an oversized purple leech hehe...so that`s what it is,I just logged off while I still had it....so you need to go to a specific place to get rid of it?

Yeah, there's some place outside of Meridian (or some other place if you're a Guardian?). Hard to describe where it is. But it's not RIGHT outside the city, it is a little ways down the road. You just go up and click on the huge red stone thingy they have there, and it goes away.

Edit: Down the road towards the Scarred Mire. I don't know if it is always there, but that's where it was this past time.

Wallach

Hit level 50 earlier this afternoon. Still not done with Stillmoor quests yet, but I'll probably wrap them up since the achievement is fairly low there then go see if I can finish off the zones I'm missing.

Obligatory screenshot:

9fOYz.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Holy shit at that last boss in DSM.

I swear to God, regular leveling instances in this game are harder than Cata Heroics.

So is it just me or the game has a very soft look to it? Almost feels blurry looking at times. Is there a setting I need to tweak to sharpen it up or is it intentionally supposed to look like this?

Wallach

BattleMonkey said:
So is it just me or the game has a very soft look to it? Almost feels blurry looking at times. Is there a setting I need to tweak to sharpen it up or is it intentionally supposed to look like this?

You may have your anisotropic filtering turned way down. Even on High it's at like 2x by default. Unfortunately it seems to cause a significant hit in this game, at least on my 5850.

BattleMonkey said:
Could have sworn there is a bloom setting, might want to mess with that, I turned it off. Will post a screen as soon as I get pass this hour long queue =/

1stStrike

Banned
Wallach said:
Hit level 50 earlier this afternoon. Still not done with Stillmoor quests yet, but I'll probably wrap them up since the achievement is fairly low there then go see if I can finish off the zones I'm missing.

*angry fist shake* I've been dealing with shitty work issues all day.

bill0527

Ok so I finally got in on Belmont.

I created a bigass purple dude named Steamroller.

So far, the performance has been from ok to complete shit on my comp.

I'm running on a near out-of-date PC.

C2D 2.13 ghz overclocked to 2.5ghz
Radeon 4850 512MB
4GB corsair RAM

I really don't want to do a processor upgrade right now because I'll have to buy a new mobo and memory to go along with it.

I wonder if I'll get better performance if I upgrade my vid card. Right now I'm getting about 30fps on medium settings. Would $150 vid card upgrade over what I'm using now make a difference? That's about all I want to spend. Or do I really need to go the new processor route? It'll be another year or so before I can do this.

TheExodu5

Banned
A video card won't make a difference, besides being able to turn up the visuals. You'll still be getting 30fps.

This game likes a quad-core CPU.

Ningo

Congrats to Wallach and BigAT!
Hit 20 on my warrior last night and still at 25 on my mage.
Tempted to roll yet another as I was fooling around with the character creator and made an awesome white dreaded bahmi beastmaster.
Thanks again to the Lotus members who took me through Iron Tombs last night, Inorite, Pipster and ark I believe.
Was a fun cakewalk with over leveled group members.

I have had my first two bluescreens on my computer with the game.
I am getting decent frame rates but they range wildly from 30-120 depending on density of players.
My machine is i7860 2.8ghz 2x 5870's and 4gig DDR3. I am also using the d3d9.dll that was used as a fix for fallout NV.
I have read that using radeon pro to force AFR for crossfire may help as well and I will try that tonight.

Blackheim

jiien said:

If you pick one up and the invasion is over or you just don't feel like hauling the thing, you treat it like a buff. Right click on the icon in the upper right and it will disappear :D

desverger

Brazil said:
Holy shit at that last boss in DSM.

I swear to God, regular leveling instances in this game are harder than Cata Heroics.

Not that hard - just move him and your group away from the red crystals, and smash the green/yellow ones :p

Easy peasy to tank as a pala.

Wes

venison crêpe
Ningo said:
Thanks again to the Lotus members who took me through Iron Tombs last night, Inorite, Pipster and ark I believe.
Was a fun cakewalk with over leveled group members.

<< Ark

I missed two quests whilst there somehow so I'll have to run it again later too haha

TheExodu5

Banned
desverger said:
Not that hard - just move him and your group away from the red crystals, and smash the green/yellow ones :p

Easy peasy to tank as a pala.

I found that that boss kind of needs an off healer, for all the AoE damage being dished out. Even if people are away from the red crystal, he AoEs everyone for around 600-800 damage when it comes out. Bard or chloro does the trick.

The final boss in DSM was tough to heal through until I told the ranged to spread out, then the damage becomes manageable, rarely do I have to group heal. The two biggest issues we ran into with him is A.) getting dps to kill crystals or B.) having all casters for dps and running themselves OOM half way through the fight.

Is there a guide or such online that explains various things like how exactly the invasions work and other details. Lot of things are common sense or seem taken from other MMO's so easy to figure out, but the game leaves lot of things vague or unexplained.

TheExodu5 said:
Or edge smoothing on.

Yea edge smoothing was the problem, makes a huge change in visuals as everything looks hazy like some kind of console game. Super sampling looks great and I get around 40fps most of the time, but any time I get into a Rift it goes into the teens lol

glaurung

Running the game on a 460 and I decided to turn off the anti-aliasing altogether. Both the supersampling and edge smoothing made the game look like someone had smeared vaseline on the display.

TheExodu5

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Yea edge smoothing was the problem, makes a huge change in visuals as everything looks hazy like some kind of console game. Super sampling looks great and I get around 40fps most of the time, but any time I get into a Rift it goes into the teens lol

Super sampling probably doubles either the horizontal or vertical resolution of the game, essentially making it render double the amount of pixels. Basically, it would double your GPU load and cut the performance in half, as long as you're not CPU bottlenecked. It looks a lot better than traditional anti-aliasing, but is very demanding.

edit: judging by the aliasing in my above screenshot, it looks like it's doubling the horizontal pixels. If you look at vertical cliffs, they look very smooth, but horizontal lines still have aliasing.

TheExodu5 said:
Super sampling probably doubles either the horizontal or vertical resolution of the game, essentially making it render double the amount of pixels. Basically, it would double your GPU load and cut the performance in half, as long as you're not CPU bottlenecked. It looks a lot better than traditional anti-aliasing, but is very demanding.

edit: judging by the aliasing in my above screenshot, it looks like it's doubling the horizontal pixels. If you look at vertical cliffs, they look very smooth, but horizontal lines still have aliasing.

Yea it looks great with Super Sampling on, and runs pretty well for me, it's just those Rift invasions that are almost unplayable though with it on and getting low teens on my fps. Almost feel like I want to play the game with sampling on and then before jumping into a rift battle, turning off the aa lol

bunbun777

Just purchased and am downloading now, will try to get on Belmont.

Mostly looking forward to the exploration, have no idea what soul/class to go with but figure some sort of spellcaster.

1stStrike said:
Rage :eek: I just ordered a pizza and I'm about 3/4 of the way to lvl 49. Level 50 will be mine before midnight today!
Best time for it to go down. I was playing last night and had to step away from the game in the middle of a major invasion boss fight to get the pizza from the delivery guy!

J-Rzez

Grats on you guys hitting 50 already hehe. How much playtime did you guys have to invest? I'm only level 27, I got a ways to go.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah seen a few level 50s running around. I'm still at 23, waiting for the significant other to catch up and then we'll quest together. Hopefully today she'll finally get through the shit at the Aelfwar fortress.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
J-Rzez said:
Grats on you guys hitting 50 already hehe. How much playtime did you guys have to invest? I'm only level 27, I got a ways to go.

Not nearly level 50, but at level 33 (almost level 34), I already have around 50 hours played. Some of the power gamers in my guild who have been level 50 for a couple of days now said they have around six days played time.

So, yeah.. There's no way that Archon/Chloro isn't going to be nerfed.
I was killing two mobs for a quest.
A rogue at my level pops out of stealth and tries to gank me...
He died like a bitch as he ran.
:D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I agree, some of the classes are overpowered a bit, I just hope they try minor adjustments rather then huge nerfs...

It's a rather new developer, so who knows?

wowzors

Just picked this up tonight. Probably wont be able to start it for a little bit, but made a guy on Belmont Defiance side named Worlaut.

Concept17

Life and work have gotten in the way of playing much lately, which really sucks. :(

Hopefully I can actually get some grinding done soon.

Top Bottom