• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Morn

Banned
Brazil said:
On the 28th I put up a ticket on the Support page of their website regarding my connection problems during Rifts and Warfronts.

They still haven't answered me, despite multiple updates with all the information I could provide them.

Such a fucking joke. I'm so out of here.

Get better internet. There. I saved them some trouble.

bunbun777

Looks like servers are down for 30 mins.

I joined and posted on the website, looking forward to being a part of a quality guild with gaf players! I signed up with my big time lvl10 WAR but i didn't mention my other character...

the Bard- too fun to play-- when i finish off my opponents with the flute/horn thingee it makes me smile. Now if only I could dance and play music at the same time...

Everytime you guys post screenshots of this game I think it looks pretty awesome. But the thing is I didn't care at all for WoW and every MMO I've tried hasn't stuck. I find MMOs usually take themselves too seriously. Oh, sup? I need to do a quest where I walk in one direction for 20 minutes and then see if I can kill some dudes at that specified location? Yeah, that's the sound of me closing the game. Is there any chance in hell that I could enjoy Rift?

TouchMyBox said:
Everytime you guys post screenshots of this game I think it looks pretty awesome. But the thing is I didn't care at all for WoW and every MMO I've tried hasn't stuck. I find MMOs usually take themselves too seriously. Oh, sup? I need to do a quest where I walk in one direction for 20 minutes and then see if I can kill some dudes at that specified location? Yeah, that's the sound of me closing the game. Is there any chance in hell that I could enjoy Rift?

Quests are much better situated in RIFT than in WoW. WoW often had you walking annoyingly far distances to do a quest and then come all the way back to just end up going to another far spot after over and over again. They have clustered the quests much closer and often in close proximity to one another in RIFT. Feels much smoother and faster overall.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
TouchMyBox said:
Maybe, but the game has quests just like the ones you described, so...

BattleMonkey said:
Quests are much better situated in RIFT than in WoW. WoW often had you walking annoyingly far distances to do a quest and then come all the way back to just end up going to another far spot after over and over again. They have clustered the quests much closer and often in close proximity to one another in RIFT. Feels much smoother and faster overall.
Maybe smoother and faster than Vanilla, but post-Shattering EK and Kalimdor in WoW offer much better leveling experiences than Telara.

TouchMyBox said:
Not really sure what you aren't liking, so I can't really tell you if Rift does it or not. I'm only at level 19 right now, but following the quest line as they are given to you generally doesn't involve walking 20 minutes, you'll get a bunch of quests for one little area and then you'll get a quest taking you to the next area (note, often the quests don't involve returning to the guy who gave you the quest, but going to someone else who is near where the quest took place). The quests aren't all about killing things, many of them involve capturing creatures, collecting objects, talking to people, going somewhere and using a quest object to make something else happen (though there are usually creatures around that will attack you in those areas).

1stStrike

Banned
Patch Notes 1.1 are up

Seems to be pretty close to the alpha notes that were posted. Riftstalker nerf is in, so I'll let you guys know how that affects me during my next tanking session :|

TouchMyBox said:

This game really doesn't take its story too seriously. There's a lot of humor in it - like you can collect artifacts and one of the sets is animal tears. You can go around killing fluffy bunnies, squirrels, deer, snakes, etc. and collect their tears in order to get an achievement and a pet lol.

You'll see the typical fantasy kill this, collect that, etc. throughout, but the end-game is really what it's all about. I've been doing the expert dungeons now that I'm 50 and I'm having an absolute blast. Even leveling up wasn't that bad and I really did enjoy the story (Shimmersand is absolutely fantastic with the internal corruption, backstabbing, multiple gangs vying for control and a prison that's been overrun by its inmates).

You may want to give it a try. It's the first MMO I've truly enjoyed in a long time and the rifts really spice it up.

Hixx

BattleMonkey said:

Can't agree with that. Sometimes it feels efficient but theres a lot of quests that send you back to the exact same area you've just been, only to kill or collect something else.

Gloamwoods quest flow is awful, for example. I have been sent to Silkweb Pass three times now for the sake of 600-800 xp a pop AFTER I had done that areas quests.

Brazil said:
Maybe smoother and faster than Vanilla, but post-Shattering EK and Kalimdor in WoW offer much better leveling experiences than Telara.

I really was not impressed at all with the post shattering stuff, so I can't really agree, but RIFT has the benefit also of the dynamic content like invasions, the big invasion events, and rifts that also really mix things up and just give everything a much more living feel than forced quest progression.

HixxSAFC said:
Sometimes it feels efficient but theres a lot of quests that send you back to the exact same area you've just been, only to kill or collect something else.

This happens in pretty much every MMO though for the most part in various instances

BattleMonkey said:
I really was not impressed at all with the post shattering stuff, so I can't really agree, but RIFT has the benefit also of the dynamic content like invasions, the big invasion events, and rifts that also really mix things up and just give everything a much more living feel than forced quest progression.

This has been the hook for me. It's pretty much standard mmo questing fair, but the rifts really mix up the grind. Running as a tank/healer combo makes rifting a lot of fun since you can pick any rift/invasion and people will join as soon as they see you successfully tanking stuff.

1stStrike said:
This game really doesn't take its story too seriously. There's a lot of humor in it - like you can collect artifacts and one of the sets is animal tears. You can go around killing fluffy bunnies, squirrels, deer, snakes, etc. and collect their tears in order to get an achievement and a pet lol.

You'll see the typical fantasy kill this, collect that, etc. throughout, but the end-game is really what it's all about. I've been doing the expert dungeons now that I'm 50 and I'm having an absolute blast. Even leveling up wasn't that bad and I really did enjoy the story (Shimmersand is absolutely fantastic with the internal corruption, backstabbing, multiple gangs vying for control and a prison that's been overrun by its inmates).

You may want to give it a try. It's the first MMO I've truly enjoyed in a long time and the rifts really spice it up.

BattleMonkey said:

Thanks, sounds fairly reassuring.

Brashnir

HixxSAFC said:
Can't agree with that. Sometimes it feels efficient but theres a lot of quests that send you back to the exact same area you've just been, only to kill or collect something else.

"I have a quest for you. I need you to go collect 10 Whatzits from the Guys-With-Knives encampment.

<return with 10 Whatzits> "Here, they are, but hey - I had to kill like 20 Guys-With-Knives to get these things. They're fucking everywhere surrounding them."

"I have a quest for you. I need you to get 20 knives from Guys-With Knives and bring them back to me."

"They don't drop any knives. I told you I just killed 20 of them."

"They will now. you didn't have the quest yet last time you killed 20 of them, lol."

I fucking hate MMO quests.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
* Rift - Eaters of the Dead: The Sable Broodmother should now be killable.

Holy shit, I ran into this mother fucker last night. It would reach like 15% then spam an AoE that ills everybody, no matter their level. We were soooooo salty.

BigAT

I had a rather lengthy tanking session yesterday, doing expert FC, KB and LH. It was exhausting, but I was able to get a couple of upgrades from it and much more importantly a lot of good experience tanking expert instances. I've now tanked 4 out of the 5 tier 1 experts, RotF is the only one I haven't tackled yet.

Brashnir said:
"I have a quest for you. I need you to go collect 10 Whatzits from the Guys-With-Knives encampment.

<return with 10 Whatzits> "Here, they are, but hey - I had to kill like 20 Guys-With-Knives to get these things. They're fucking everywhere surrounding them."

"I have a quest for you. I need you to get 20 knives from Guys-With Knives and bring them back to me."

"They don't drop any knives. I told you I just killed 20 of them."

"They will now. you didn't have the quest yet last time you killed 20 of them, lol."

I fucking hate MMO quests.
Heh - that's one of the things I like about this game, often when you get all the quests you can in a camp before heading out, one of the quests will have you in an enemy-filled area collecting things, while another will have you killing the enemies found in that area.

1stStrike

Banned
BigAT said:
I had a rather lengthy tanking session yesterday, doing expert FC, KB and LH. It was exhausting, but I was able to get a couple of upgrades from it and much more importantly a lot of good experience tanking expert instances. I've now tanked 4 out of the 5 tier 1 experts, RotF is the only one I haven't tackled yet.

What'd you think of LH? I thought it was a lot easier then IT expert, myself. With this nerf to RS incoming healing though and my reduction in toughness we'll see how tanking goes, however. I'm planning on doing FC and KB tonight.

Brashnir

Dreamwriter said:
Heh - that's one of the things I like about this game, often when you get all the quests you can in a camp before heading out, one of the quests will have you in an enemy-filled area collecting things, while another will have you killing the enemies found in that area.

The situation I described above happened to me 5 times today in 2 different zones. Sure they give you 2 or 3 things to do in an area, then you go back and get 3 more to do in the exact same place. The quests in Coterie Camp in Stonecliff are the worst I think I've ever seen in a game.

How is the PvP in ths game?
Are the battlegrounds well designed & fun? Any actual open world PvP going on? Reward system?
I realise balancing classes for PvP is challenging, I can imagine even more so with the class system this game uses, are the imbalances acceptable?

sturmdogg

Hey guys, a couple of questions on Rift from a noob:

1. How the hell do you change chat channels? i.e. change channels from Freemarch to levels10-19?

2. If I want to go to Iron Tombs, where do I park my character to pick up a group?

BrettWeir

Herbspicesoy said:
Are the battlegrounds well designed & fun? Any actual open world PvP going on? Reward system?
I realise balancing classes for PvP is challenging, I can imagine even more so with the class system this game uses, are the imbalances acceptable?

The battlegrounds are typical, standard fare.

Open world PvP.....definitely on PvP servers. Have to be flagged on the others.

Balance is pretty decent, unless you ask the person that plays X class and just got killed by Y class.

"Paper is ok,
Rock is overpowered"
/signed scissors"

1stStrike

Banned
Herbspicesoy said:

They're definitely not balancing the classes around PvP, and they've stated as much. However, things really are pretty balanced overall. You'll see whining, but that's to be expected anywhere. While there are things that could be improved, I think PvP is pretty well balanced at the moment. You just need team work to win, which unfortunately you don't see a lot of on our shard so defiants rarely win warfronts.

You get favor from PvP which you can spend at PvP merchants for gear.

From what I've played, the warfronts are generally fun. Once you hit lvl 50 you unlock Port of Scion which combines PvE with PvP. There will be NPC's you have to protect from other players, and objectives to complete with both sides attempting to thwart one another.

sturmdogg said:

1. How the hell do you change chat channels? i.e. change channels from Freemarch to levels10-19?

2. If I want to go to Iron Tombs, where do I park my character to pick up a group?

If freemarch is 1 and 10 - 19 is 4 you'd do /1 or /4 respectively.

You can also just do a LFG in the 10 - 19 chat, or stand outside of IT and hope someone will invite you. I'm guessing you're not playing with us though as there's always people in the guild around to help with dungeons.

Concept17

Herbspicesoy said:

I've only really done the first BG, which is essentially whoever holds the flag longest wins. The best part about pvp in the game is that you can switch classes on the fly, same as PvE. I've been switching between an Assassin (stealth) and a Marksmen (archer) depending on how each match plays out, and find both to have their strengths and weaknesses.

Clerics can very easily keep a warrior alive, and sadly pick up groups are usually too stupid to realize someone is healing them. I imagine the BG is far more fun with friends/guildies, but I haven't gotten a chance to try that yet.

Overall, its pretty solid. The variety in classes is great, and even though you can tell whether someone is a rogue, mage, warrior, or cleric, you're never entirely certain what actual class they are at first glance, which makes things that much more unpredictable. And for me, if pvp is the same thing over and over, it gets boring fast.

Balance needs some tweaking, but considering the game just came out, its in great shape as is. I hear complaints coming mostly from mages.

sturmdogg said:

You automatically join zone channels and city channels as well as a level channel for your level. Use /1 /2 /3 etc to talk in them.

Just say you're LFG in the Freemarch channel and find a group. Once one person enters the instance in your group, it will allow all of you to port strait in no matter where you are.

BigAT

1stStrike said:
What'd you think of LH? I thought it was a lot easier then IT expert, myself. With this nerf to RS incoming healing though and my reduction in toughness we'll see how tanking goes, however. I'm planning on doing FC and KB tonight.
It was relatively easy for an expert, possibly the easiest of the experts I've done so far although FC might take that title. The only problem we really had as a group was when I healer had a graphical glitch that caused him to have invisible fire pillars during the Pyromancer fight. That alone caused a few wipes that unfortunately slowed us down.

Concept17

1stStrike said:

* Boosted Recovery: The incoming healing bonus has been reduced to 2-6%, down from 10-30%, to be in line with the Warlord ability Figurehead.

Will this hurt the class that much? I see no other nerfs. Been trying to decide between Nightblade and Riftstalker for my third build.

Also, do you use RS to tank for groups? Every instance I run we seem to have tanks who only like to use 2h or simply don't use taunts of any kind and its just mayhem. (or someone a few levels too high joins and tanks with their pet or something silly)

I've found Incapacitate to be a wonderful tool in instances so far.

1stStrike

Banned
Concept17 said:
Will this hurt the class that much? I see no other nerfs. Been trying to decide between Nightblade and Riftstalker for my third build.

Also, do you use RS to tank for groups? Every instance I run we seem to have tanks who only like to use 2h or simply don't use taunts of any kind and its just mayhem. (or someone a few levels too high joins and tanks with their pet or something silly)

It will have a large affect on you if:

1. You rely on riftstalker for xping

2. You don't keep all of your absorb buffs up. As riftstalkers rely on absorbing the damage before it actually reaches their HP, if you let that gap during a boss battle then you're in for some hurt. I try to reset rift guard's counter when it's down to 10 seconds in case the boss stuns me or does some other crazy shit. I have two "get out of stun" free cards I can use, but one is on a 33 second timer and the other is on a 2 minute timer so I like to save them.

And, yes, I've tanked just about every instance in the game as RS. It does fine, though I am lacking in a ranged pull ability that warriors have. I can do an AOE pull on 5 mobs that will pull them all to me and group them up, but I don't have something that I can use to pull one of those fucking annoying ranged mobs to me (though I can port to them, however I may lose aggro in the process, so it's always a gamble).

Tanking is a dynamic/stressful job at times, and while I'm sometimes a little slower then I'd like on the draw, I'd say I'm a pretty good tank overall.

Scum

Fuck! I need to stop slacking and get my arse into gear with lvling. I'm starting to get lazy with it all and that's just stupid. Any of you boys & girls going to free to hold my hands through Iron Tombs later when I log on? Please and thank you. :)

1stStrike

Banned
Scum said:
Fuck! I need to stop slacking and get my arse into gear with lvling. I'm starting to get lazy with it all and that's just stupid. Any of you boys & girls going to free to hold my hands through Iron Tombs later when I log on? Please and thank you. :)

Someone in the guild will be happy to go with you. Just ask.

Morn

Banned
Me after I got the Dances with Squirrels and The Daredevil titles.

20110310153457.jpg

wowzors

Concept17 said:

Good running IT with you last night.

TheExodu5

Banned
Level 30 Cleric. 3572hp in tank mode (no endurance buffs). <3

I've done 3 puzzles and have gotten 2 loot bags so far. 3 epics and 2 blues. I'm on a roll!

1stStrike

Banned
Concept17 said:
Indeed. Our cleric was a little hit and miss, and our tanking Ranger made things interesting, but we sailed through it np for the most part.

Woo, you wanna see hit and miss - try running IT expert with an iffy chloro and bard. We wiped 11 times on the final boss fight because I wasn't getting shit for healing.

mxgt

Banned
Hooray, I can finally pick this back up after almost 2 weeks without a good gaming PC.

Only level 23 but still having a blast.

Really good patch, if Trion can keep up with that quality this game will be around for quite some time. I just hope to god they fix mana drains, please Trion!

Hixx

psy18 said:
[.IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/amonamano/Rift/2011-03-09_171619.jpg[/IMG]

Really want to upgrade to get those AA. :(
47 ATM, hopefully can go 50 soon.

I put Edge AA on in game and didn't notice much of a performance hit. It looks a bit too smooth overall but I hate aliasing so its the lesser of two evils.

Prissy

Banned
Can someone tell me how long it actually take to learn the basic of this game? I've never played any MMORPGs before but always wanted to try out WoW but it's kinda old so I want to play something that is new out in the market. I've heard RIFT is pretty linear, is it true?

1stStrike

Banned
Prissy said:
Can someone tell me how long it actually take to learn the basic of this game? I've never played any MMORPGs before but always wanted to try out WoW but it's kinda old so I want to play something that is new out in the market. I've heard RIFT is pretty linear, is it true?

It's pretty quick. By the time you're level 10 or so you should have a good grasp on most of the general gameplay and what souls you want to put points into. It's very casual friendly so they don't make it overly complicated.

Have you ever played a standard RPG, especially a western one like Oblivion? It's a lot like that, except with a bunch of other people running around :)

Effect

After rethinking things I think I'm going to give the game another shot. The lower price on Amazon.com for the digital version helped changed my mind. Think I'm going to take it slow however as just take in the world and not be so focused on leveling. I'm a big MMO lore fan so going to try and soak up as much as I can. I'm tired of WoW and while the game is similar I found perhaps the change in world/location is what I need.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Really loving the locales of the various dungeons, let alone the eagerness of groups to grab a healer. There have been some amazing WTF healer moments during boss encounters too.

Though I'm remembering why I was going to initially roll on an RP server. Everyone seems to be in this maddening rush to hit level cap, whereas I want to take my time and just do silly shit now and again. I don't really want to restart but I think I might.

Top Bottom