• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
theta11 said:
Picked this up today, is everyone on Belmont/Defiant?

Most of us, yeah. There's a few on other servers, but LC is primarily gaffers. We have like 8 people that aren't from gaf in the guild out of over 70 members :p

Door2Dawn said:
I think game is pretty boring, to be honest. I'm only level 22, so maybe it will get better.

Yea I was in love with the game but getting mid way, it has really slowed down big time and the questing has also gotten extremely boring as well with lot of repetition. Really thinking if it wasn't for the dynamic events going on, I would really be hating this. The game world also seems very small compared to other MMOs.

It's extremely polished and plays great though.

Sethos

Banned
I'm so close to hitting "Add to Cart" on Steam but I have this gut feeling I'll regret it. I just can't shake the feeling that all the praise and upboating will quickly die down in a month or two and then it'll end up like Aion, Conan, Warhammer etc. every MMO that just seem to have been forgotten.

Perhaps I can pick it up cheap somewhere ( Digital download ) because 50 Euro for a game with monthly sub. is perhaps stretching it a bit.

Sethos said:
I'm so close to hitting "Add to Cart" on Steam but I have this gut feeling I'll regret it. I just can't shake the feeling that all the praise and upboating will quickly die down in a month or two and then it'll end up like Aion, Conan, Warhammer etc. every MMO that just seem to have been forgotten.

Perhaps I can pick it up cheap somewhere ( Digital download ) because 50 Euro for a game with monthly sub. is perhaps stretching it a bit.

It was dirt cheap on Amazon download yesterday, and has been on sale multiple times (even before release).
Just keep an eye out.

I think the biggest thing Rift has over Aion and Warhammer and the like is that it actually has an end game.

1stStrike

Banned
Sethos said:

It's not region locked so you may be able to buy the digital edition in USD which would save you some money.

I honestly love the game. Like most MMO's the end-game is where the fun really kicks off, but I definitely enjoyed the leveling process. There's a lot of fun stuff to find - like puzzles in every zone that you have to find that give you a chance at an epic weapon, and there's always hidden stuff and random world events (such as the NPC's leading me into the mountains and trying to jump me).

It's mostly your standard MMO fair as far as questing, but as has been mentioned quite a bit it's well polished and the devs are on top of stuff. I saw someone complain about a bug in a expert dungeon yesterday on the official forums and a dev responded today stating they'd identified the issue with a NPC, temporarily disabled it and would have a fix out in the next patch. Not too shabby at all.

Sethos

Banned
I'm not too worried about the core game itself - Been a WoW player on-off ever since the EU Beta and have been through every single expansion and several 60 characters in vanilla - So questing, grinding and all that I'm very familiar with. I just got my fingers burnt one time too many with MMOs that just died down and nobody to play with. I was that guy who actually liked Warhammer: Online but after just a few months the game was a barren wasteland and the servers were emptying out, the World PvP was extremely lopsided.

And it's not region locked, so EU and US players are on the same server(s) ? That could save me some money, I just recall every single MMO being US and EU separate, down to accounts and servers.

But I'd love to find a digital copy somewhere, cheapest I can find currently is £40 on Direct2Drive for the Collector's Edition ...

TheExodu5

Banned
Sethos said:
I'm not too worried about the core game itself - Been a WoW player on-off ever since the EU Beta and have been through every single expansion and several 60 characters in vanilla - So questing, grinding and all that I'm very familiar with. I just got my fingers burnt one time too many with MMOs that just died down and nobody to play with. I was that guy who actually liked Warhammer: Online but after just a few months the game was a barren wasteland and the servers were emptying out, the World PvP was extremely lopsided.

And it's not region locked, so EU and US players are on the same server(s) ? That could save me some money, I just recall every single MMO being US and EU separate, down to accounts and servers.

But I'd love to find a digital copy somewhere, cheapest I can find currently is £40 on Direct2Drive for the Collector's Edition ...

I think this game will remain popular for a while. I think they overdid it with servers...but over half the servers still read high pop a lot of the time. Just make sure you join a higher pop server and you should be fine. I'm on Reclaimer, and it's a high pop and nicely balanced PvP server. Defiants/Guardians are pretty even here. Briarcliff is the most populated PvP server, but it's heavily Defiant sided. Belmont is the official GAF server...it's a PvE server and is a high pop, though somewhat Guardian sided server.

Sethos

Banned
FFFFUUUUU Gaf! So I bought it, I'm weak. Remembered there was 20% off everything on D2D plus there's 7 extra days included on D2D, I couldn't resist. So Belmont / Defiant for some GAF action?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Sethos said:
FFFFUUUUU Gaf! So I bought it, I'm weak. Remembered there was 20% off everything on D2D plus there's 7 extra days included on D2D, I couldn't resist. So Belmont / Defiant for some GAF action?

Oh man, don't post stuff like this. I'm going to end up buying it at this rate. =/

Sethos

Banned
EvaPlusMinus said:
Oh man, don't post stuff like this. I'm going to end up buying it at this rate. =/

Might as well give in now, you know it'll happen eventually.

And now the awful wait starts *taps foot*

429010155.png

Raiden said:
If you buy the game, does it come with a free month?

Yeah

If you're wondering if the game is worth buying, if it will still have lots of players in a few months or will die off...does it really matter? I mean, for $48 on Direct2Drive, you can get the collector's edition and play for 37 days, and there will be lots of people to interact with and play with for at least those 37 days while the game is new. That's quite the entertainment bargain, even if you decide for some reason to quit when the free period is done.

LordAlu

Sethos said:
Might as well give in now, you know it'll happen eventually.

And now the awful wait starts *taps foot*

429010155.png

Yeah
It might not be a long wait. The Rift downloader is possibly the best one I've ever used. It doesn't seem to care what firewall or protection you've got, if there's any bandwidth it's all used! I got the whole client in about 45 minutes. :p

1stStrike

Banned
theta11 said:
Ok rolled a Warrior on Belmont/Defiant can I get an invite?

Send a tell to any of the officers listed on our roster to get an invite. I won't be on for a while as I'm working, but someone should be around to get you in.

Filth

Lvl 15 assassin and Im enjoying the game so far. It has a daoc / warhammer feel to it which is good. Specifically the daoc part. I'm not liking how they copied the bg instances of wow but I only tried the first one. It's basically chaos for 5 min. Im hoping end game pvp is more focused in the world which I'm told it is.

1stStrike

Banned
Philooch said:
Lvl 15 assassin and Im enjoying the game so far. It has a daoc / warhammer feel to it which is good. Specifically the daoc part. I'm not liking how they copied the bg instances of wow but I only tried the first one. It's basically chaos for 5 min. Im hoping end game pvp is more focused in the world which I'm told it is.

We killed a boss last night with some guardians out in Stillmoor and then proceeded to beat the crap out of one another. :p

I ran in with my nightblade setup and living flame'd 4 of them to death. Shit is hilarious :)

Would be nice if they had a trail, can I run it? reckons I can get halfway to reccomended but minimum could look shocking and I dont want to spend £20 to £30 for it to not even run!

Sethos

Banned
Apparently the GAF server is US only - So I've gone solo on a PvP server, hopefully I'll find some companions there. Believe it was called Imperium.

LordAlu

Sethos said:
Apparently the GAF server is US only - So I've gone solo on a PvP server, hopefully I'll find some companions there. Believe it was called Imperium.
You can change your region in the loader. I'm in the UK but play on Belmont, and I get ave. 100ms ping.

Hawk269

1stStrike said:
Most of us, yeah. There's a few on other servers, but LC is primarily gaffers. We have like 8 people that aren't from gaf in the guild out of over 70 members :p

Any thoughts of creating a Lotus Cross Guild for the Guardians on another server? Just curious as it would be cool to get that story line with a guild of people you know.

Sethos

Banned
LordAlu said:
You can change your region in the loader. I'm in the UK but play on Belmont, and I get ave. 100ms ping.

Uhh, then I'm changing! Created a Bahmi Warrior - Not sure what route, Paladin perhaps.

Johnlenham said:
Would be nice if they had a trail, can I run it? reckons I can get halfway to reccomended but minimum could look shocking and I dont want to spend £20 to £30 for it to not even run!
Here ya go, minimum settings, normal renderer (not the low quality renderer), 800x600 (during an invasion so the sky was dark)

5x0if7.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Any thoughts of creating a Lotus Cross Guild for the Guardians on another server? Just curious as it would be cool to get that story line with a guild of people you know.

Maybe someday down the road we'll add a Guardian branch but it's still pretty early. I don't want to split the guild up 2 weeks after launch.

1stStrike

Banned
Sethos said:
Uhh, then I'm changing! Created a Bahmi Warrior - Not sure what route, Paladin perhaps.

I think you'll like it on Belmont. It's a popular server and while you have the standard douches that are on every server, I've found there's plenty of likeable people (plus a good chunk of gaffers to hang out with).

We're actually pretty euro friendly too. Did a raid with 5 of us and 15 randoms at like 4:30 am EST and took down a boss with 800k HP for the quest Herald of Discord.

Sethos

Banned
1stStrike said:
I think you'll like it on Belmont. It's a popular server and while you have the standard douches that are on every server, I've found there's plenty of likeable people (plus a good chunk of gaffers to hang out with).

We're actually pretty euro friendly too. Did a raid with 5 of us and 15 randoms at like 4:30 am EST and took down a boss with 800k HP for the quest Herald of Discord.

Sounds good, I can't wait to get started. I'll see about getting into the GAF guild ( What do we call it in Rift? ) tomorrow.

LowParry

Ya know, it kinds sucks being ahead of the curve on the server I'm on. Lot of folk are currently in the mid 30's area. So hopefully in the next couple of weeks, we start to see more rift events in the higher level areas which I'm really excited for. Going for 50 this week and can't wait for the elite instances. :D

LordAlu

Sethos said:
Sounds good, I can't wait to get started. I'll see about getting into the GAF guild ( What do we call it in Rift? ) tomorrow.
It's still just called a guild :) Name is Lotus Cross, I'm enjoying being in it and there's always someone online. Just wish I had more time to spend on it, I was planning on playing all weekend but my sister need some work doing on her house so I spent it all fixing her place up. :/

1stStrike

Banned
CcrooK said:
Ya know, it kinds sucks being ahead of the curve on the server I'm on. Lot of folk are currently in the mid 30's area. So hopefully in the next couple of weeks, we start to see more rift events in the higher level areas which I'm really excited for. Going for 50 this week and can't wait for the elite instances. :D

We're up to 5 or 6 50's in the guild now with 8 or 9 more in the 40's. You joined the wrong crowd - we do expert dungeons every night :)

LowParry

1stStrike said:
We're up to 5 or 6 50's in the guild now with 8 or 9 more in the 40's. You joined the wrong crowd - we do expert dungeons every night :)

Hey, we got our 50's. I'm just behind the curve. :( Just thought I focus more on keeping my tradeskills up to speed with my leveling. It's good money :) Already up to around 150 plat.

Anno

So after an extremely long Steam download I'm about to be all patched up. What's the guild lacking most? Traditionally I like support roles but I'll play pretty much anything.

1stStrike

Banned
Anno said:
So after an extremely long Steam download I'm about to be all patched up. What's the guild lacking most? Traditionally I like support roles but I'll play pretty much anything.

I'd say we probably have the least amount of mages and warriors. Plenty of clerics and rogues.

Ran FC a couple times as the main healer. It was a lot easier than I thought (I mained a resto druid on WoW). I like how healing in this game actually makes you feel like you're doing something more than playing whack-a-mole.
Chloromancer healing is more like "Kill everything and let Life-giving Vile sort it out".

d0c_zaius

Is there a way to download the updates?

I've been patching for 3 hours and its gone from 1mb per second to 25k, sitting at 81 hours remaining :(

LordAlu said:
It might not be a long wait. The Rift downloader is possibly the best one I've ever used. It doesn't seem to care what firewall or protection you've got, if there's any bandwidth it's all used! I got the whole client in about 45 minutes. :p

I'm having a total opposite experience. It seems to go from fast to nothing for no reason.

Ill reset it and try again. Apparently a bunch of people are having this problem and Trion isnt saying anything...

sonitii

Yeah, the download servers are FUBAR at the moment. My brother just bought the game from Amazon Game downloads. It started out maxing our internet connection at 1.5 MB/s. Now it dropped down to 150 KB/s with only 20% of the download done. Restarting the download client doesn't help. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. He was so excited to play too.

sarcastor

jesus fucking christ. is there a way to not get killed in this game? every time i step off the beaten path i get gangraped and killed within 2 minutes. i'm a level 11 mage but i can't take on two bad dudes at one time cause i just die. and all my quest involve wandering around enemy territory finding idols or sticks or some shit. this is riduculous.

FLEABttn

Banned
sonitii said:
Yeah, the download servers are FUBAR at the moment. My brother just bought the game from Amazon Game downloads. It started out maxing our internet connection at 1.5 MB/s. Now it dropped down to 150 KB/s with only 20% of the download done. Restarting the download client doesn't help. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. He was so excited to play too.

Run notepad as administrator, open up your hosts file and add:

208.94.26.142 update2.triongames.com

at the bottom. Magically the patcher works.

sarcastor said:
jesus fucking christ. is there a way to not get killed in this game? every time i step off the beaten path i get gangraped and killed within 2 minutes. i'm a level 11 mage but i can't take on two bad dudes at one time cause i just die. and all my quest involve wandering around enemy territory finding idols or sticks or some shit. this is riduculous.
If you can't/don't want to party with other folks, you might try adding a soul that gets pets, like Necromancer or Elementalist - having a pet take on an enemy while you take on the other would definitely help. Or a soul with "Crowd Control" spells - Dominator starts with a spell that turns an enemy into a squirrel for a time period (or until it is damaged).

Also, stick to the roads as much as possible :) Although watch out for invasion parties running along the road.

Can someone post a gameplay video of Rift that actually makes it look good?

Everything I've found so far is pretty tame compared to how I hear you talk about it and I want to believe.

1stStrike

Banned
Mister Wilhelm said:
Can someone post a gameplay video of Rift that actually makes it look good?

Everything I've found so far is pretty tame compared to how I hear you talk about it and I want to believe.

I need to start putting together some videos, but fraps hurts my FPS and I'm usually tanking so I can't really afford to have any degradation in performance =\

Effect

The game has finally has clicked with me! :) I started out as a melee this time again but then switched over to a caster as I'm more comfortable with those (Wizard/Illusionist in EQ2, Wizard in EQ1, Druid in WoW last time around, Nano Technician in Anarchy Online. The exceptions were Warden in Dark Age of Camelot (first maxed character) and Paladin in WoW (second max before the latest expansion dropped). Been spending most of my time around the Ark of the Ascended and now at King's Retreat. Been taking my time but the game pushes so at a some what fast pace. The combination of rifts opening and invasions taking place seem to break up the kill task/mission grinding. These like in so many other MMOs aren't quest.

Combination of Elementalist/Chloromancer/Archon is working out pretty well so far. The suggested pairings for Elementalist just didn't make any sense when I looked at them. Spent a good 10 or 15 minutes just reading the descriptions of the various options in them. Trying to max Ele though as I read that needs to be done in order for it to really work out well while putting extra points in Chloromancer for the healing spells (to help pet out as well as others in groups). Haven't done anything with Archon but I figure once I get the healing to where I want it I'll put extra points in there to help my fire spells. Chances are it could just sit empty with me focusing on the other two.

It's been a long time since I played Dark Age of Camelot but the setup reminds me of how disruption of points were done there. When I think in that direction it's easier for me to plan things out and to better wrap my head around the entire system. Rift is actually easier in this regard and less frustrating. Wow I miss that game. :( Though I don't think three souls at once are really needed. Two would have been just fine I think.

I think my next character is going to be a guardian though. I've done the beginning tasks twice already and see no reason to do them a second time around. Sure I can try out another archetype but it would seem boring. I'm refusing to do that in MMOs going forward. My plan is to keep pushing forward in content and not to do anything that would appear boring or a repeat. So I think my alts will be limited in this game since you end up in the same place once leaving the starting instance. The question is what to try out next. I'm certainly thinking Dwarf or Elf as I have a Eth already and don't need another human character. Either Warrior or Cleric as I don't care for Rogue classes.

My girlfriend and I are having a blast playing this game so far. Here's an early shot of us in the starter Defiant area. Our gear's improved a lot since then of course but I've not uploaded my recent shots to my my Flickr set (follow the linked image).

I'm really digging the way they've managed to borrow the best features from a lot of MMOs and come up with their own unique twists on them, and new features of their own. Plus, goddamn this game is amazingly stable.

Effect

Winterblink said:
My girlfriend and I are having a blast playing this game so far. Here's an early shot of us in the starter Defiant area. Our gear's improved a lot since then of course but I've not uploaded my recent shots to my my Flickr set (follow the linked image).

I'm really digging the way they've managed to borrow the best features from a lot of MMOs and come up with their own unique twists on them, and new features of their own. Plus, goddamn this game is amazingly stable.

This is what I'm most impressed by. Considering what takes place during a rift encounter (minor or major) I'm very surprised. Then there is moving around the large zones without no loading at all.

The biggest complaint I have is the spawning. Killing an enemy sometimes can result in a situation were as soon as you loot it another spawns right on top of you. This can happen about four times I've found before it stops then there is a several second wait before the cycle starts again. This mainly happens I found with stationary enemies.

sarcastor said:

You have to be careful, the game has pretty heavy enemy density. You will often find yourself stuck in areas surrounded by enemies and have to fight your way out. It's not like many other MMO's where the enemies are usually clustered in smaller areas and seperated, you have lot of mobs pretty much on top of each other.

BattleMonkey said:
You have to be careful, the game has pretty heavy enemy density. You will often find yourself stuck in areas surrounded by enemies and have to fight your way out. It's not like many other MMO's where the enemies are usually clustered in smaller areas and seperated, you have lot of mobs pretty much on top of each other.

Yeah, the enemy density absolutely sucks sometimes. In some areas, there's simply no way to skirt around the aggro radius.

Top Bottom