• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Swag

Having played for quite a while, the game is great and really enjoyable from a mechanics perspective. But I absolutely cannot stand the visuals, I'm not saying they look bad but they simply don't appeal to me.

I'm running everything on Ultra, with Supersampling on only in dungeons.

Blackface

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Having played for quite a while, the game is great and really enjoyable from a mechanics perspective. But I absolutely cannot stand the visuals, I'm not saying they look bad but they simply don't appeal to me.

I'm running everything on Ultra, with Supersampling on only in dungeons.

Ultra in Rift is still FAR away from maxing the game out. With it max'd out, there are not many games that look as good. However, if you just dont like the Art style thats something else entirely.

Morn

Banned
Blackface said:
Ultra in Rift is still FAR away from maxing the game out. With it max'd out, there are not many games that look as good. However, if you just dont like the Art style thats something else entirely.

Yea with everything maxxed I'm stunned at how great it looks (and how well it runs). I forget that it's even running on Gamebryo.

BrettWeir

Level 46 on my rogue, soloing / questing the entire way. Really wish I had rolled a different calling (warrior or cleric), as I get destroyed rather easily by people even 5 levels lower than me (sab/rng/rift). Mages just CC the shit out of me, warriors .... are warriors, and melee rogues walk through me easily. Playing my alt warrior (26 fotm rift/reav) is just a shit load more fun to play, solely for the fact that I can take more than 3 hits unless im being focused.

Only reason I am the souls I am, is for PvE i find it kills the fastest imo. I could be wrong though. Main goal was to get to 50 asap then go assassin for open world PvP, but I really need to expirement with builds because assassin in this game is nothing like assassins i have played in other games. Not happy with what ive seen with the assassin soul. Unfortunately you are forced to spec assassin for perma-stealth, or am I wrong?

Any PvP advice as far as builds go would be appreciated.

Morn

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
I think they would get a lot more interest if they had a free trial.

They may cave in and do one in the future, but free trials rarely work to convert people over to paying subs. More often, they're just used by kids as a free demo or by gold farmers.

Are there a lot of "Kill 17 boars and return to me" type of quests? Is the questing actually fun or monotonous? This is why I couldn't get into WoW.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sethos said:
Hahahahaha, no.
They'll eventually add trial options. If you have doubts, definitely don't blindly buy it now. Wait for a discount or something like that.

Heavy said:
Are there a lot of "Kill 17 boars and return to me" type of quests? Is the questing actually fun or monotonous? This is why I couldn't get into WoW.
Yes. The questing is boring as hell, but some may say Rifts and zone events make up for it. It's also more dynamic than most MMOs if you factor in how you can keep changing your specializations every few minutes, therefore altering the gameplay style.

But, yeah, the quests themselves are as basic as they can get. Every new hub you get to usually gives you three or four quests. In one you have to kill enemies; in another you have to kill enemies for items; another one requires you to grab items on the floor; and a last one requires you to interact with 1-4 "mechanisms" spread around the area you're killing the monsters from the other quests in.

I can't see a free trial being beneficial this early in an MMO's life. They want people to buy it to try it out. Curiosity will be at it's highest just after release when no general internet opinion of the game has been formed yet. It also makes people more likely to stick with it because they've made a monetary investment.

Sophia

I personally need a free trial from a developer I've never heard of before. I'm not willing to bite the bullet on subscription MMOs otherwise.

Sethos

Banned
Brazil said:
They'll eventually add trial options. If you have doubts, definitely don't blindly buy it now. Wait for a discount or something like that.

Hopefully :) Also the reason why I laughed, blindly buying a new MMO at the price of a full game would be like shooting yourself in the foot with a 12 Gauge. It looks interesting but there's always a lot of praise and "Oohhhh, Ahhhhh" when a new MMO releases - 6 Months later, it's forgotten.

Blackface said:
Having just come from Final Fantasy XIV, both the technology and art style of Rift look almost old school. However, from a gameplay, content and polish standpoint, Rift demolishes FFXIV.

Brazil said:

Yes. The questing is boring as hell, but some may say Rifts and zone events make up for it. It's also more dynamic than most MMOs if you factor in how you can keep changing your specializations every few minutes, therefore altering the gameplay style.

But, yeah, the quests themselves are as basic as they can get. Every new hub you get to usually gives you three or four quests. In one you have to kill enemies; in another you have to kill enemies for items; another one requires you to grab items on the floor; and a last one requires you to interact with 1-4 "mechanisms" spread around the area you're killing the monsters from the other quests in.

Thanks. Yeah, definitely don't have the patience for that.

Morn

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
Having just come from Final Fantasy XIV, both the technology and art style of Rift look almost old school. However, from a gameplay, content and polish standpoint, Rift demolishes FFXIV.

FFXIV still has performance issues. It's engine is a complete mess. Sure it looks nice in screen shots, but it's not a good engine for a playable game. It's more of a graphics tech demo.

J-Rzez

This game is good. So good that it cut my WoW hours a week from 20-25, to a max of 5 hours "if" people show up to raid. The world actually feels alive in this game, something no other MMO really conveyed before, which is amazing. Sure, it's scripted events like rift invasions, or singular rifts opening and spawning packs of mobs that trudge around the entire zone killing players, world mobs, and/or NPCs and spawning "footholds" to zone in more mobs to go on the attack. But still, the world feels alive and ever changing. It's genuinely great. It's nice having the options to do quests, dungeons, pvp, or rifts to level, or a mix of them. I didn't get to endgame yet, but thus far has a been a great ride.

Morn

Banned
J-Rzez said:
This game is good. So good that it cut my WoW hours a week from 20-25, to a max of 5 hours "if" people show up to raid. The world actually feels alive in this game, something no other MMO really conveyed before, which is amazing. Sure, it's scripted events like rift invasions, or singular rifts opening and spawning packs of mobs that trudge around the entire zone killing players, world mobs, and/or NPCs and spawning "footholds" to zone in more mobs to go on the attack. But still, the world feels alive and ever changing. It's genuinely great. It's nice having the options to do quests, dungeons, pvp, or rifts to level, or a mix of them. I didn't get to endgame yet, but thus far has a been a great ride.

Invasions aren't scripted.

And wait until you get to the Ancient Wardstones. It's the "PVP and take over a city" that people always demand in PVP games.

The 28-50 game on PVP servers has some amazing world PVP going on.

1stStrike

Banned
I've done Iron Tombs, Lantern Hook, Foul Cascade and King's Breach on expert and... those of you that haven't done these haven't seen anything yet. I can't wait to start doing greenscale once I've gotten all of my T1/T2 equipment.

KB has one of the coolest final boss battles I've seen in an MMO (it seriously freaked me the fuck out last night when I did it for the first time).

Also, that fucking spider in Foul Cascade on expert... no matter how you fight her the fight is a pain in the ass.

Got hacked, everything gone, did full sweeps and no key logger, I really think Trion's account database is unprotected. Just way to many people getting hacked, this is the first time I ever had a account hacked after 6 years of wow.

Swag

Blackface said:
When I said, ultra I meant with all my sliders to the right. It's just the character models that look really ugly to me, I can't get over it.

1stStrike

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Got hacked, everything gone, did full sweeps and no key logger, I really think Trion's account database is unprotected. Just way to many people getting hacked, this is the first time I ever had a account hacked after 6 years of wow.

Have you been visiting any of the soul building sites or running a parser? Most everyone I've seen hacked has been running a parser.

Oh and we've had two people in the guild hacked. One got his stuff back right away and the other, last I knew, hadn't heard back yet.

Morn

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
When I said, ultra I meant with all my sliders to the right. It's just the character models that look really ugly to me, I can't get over it.

8IFiR.jpg

Belfast

Morn said:
Invasions aren't scripted.

And wait until you get to the Ancient Wardstones. It's the "PVP and take over a city" that people always demand in PVP games.

The 28-50 game on PVP servers has some amazing world PVP going on.

Well, they sort of are, though he may be pointing to the idea that they follow a certain pattern. Granted, the scale of and location of some opening rifts during an invasion can change, but they generally lead to the same result. Some with normal rifts that have certain "stages" you know you'll always get. If it were 100% random, there would be no particular need to name rifts/invasions, but at the same time, it's nice to know once in awhile what you're supposed to be doing.

Flambe

Well I'm having a lot of fun at 30 with my Pyro/Dom (mostly pyro) in pvp, does it stay this good at 50? =) I'm cranking out the damage and all the instacasts are wonderful too

1stStrike said:
Have you been visiting any of the soul building sites or running a parser? Most everyone I've seen hacked has been running a parser.

Oh and we've had two people in the guild hacked. One got his stuff back right away and the other, last I knew, hadn't heard back yet.
No parser, I have been going to the rift forums, never clicked on links there though. I make sure never to click any when im on forums I dont trust. I did use that soul building site, zam something. I ran scans though and have nothing on my system.

Morn

Banned
GhostRidah said:
No parser, I have been going to the rift forums, never clicked on links there though. I make sure never to click any when im on forums I dont trust. I did use that soul building site, zam something. I ran scans though and have nothing on my system.

It's probably an ad on Zam's site. That seems to be the common thing.

Raiden

Banned
Morn said:
They may cave in and do one in the future, but free trials rarely work to convert people over to paying subs. More often, they're just used by kids as a free demo or by gold farmers.

Yeah, look at how World of Warcraft turned out, nobody even plays it!

Also, im not a kid nor a goldfarmer, and i would love to try this out before i chip in 50 bucks or so.

1stStrike

Banned
GhostRidah said:

It was confirmed that zam had malicious ads a while back.

Morn

Banned
Raiden said:

Also, im not a kid nor a goldfarmer, and i would love to try this out before i chip in 50 bucks or so.

95% of the WoW playerbase didn't come from a free trial.

Swag

Raiden said:

If you want you can play on my account, you'll even get both sides of the spectrum, level 1 and level 50.

Also don't forget that all of Gawker got hacked and most login data leaked to the internet - if you ever had an account on Kotaku, Gizmodo, i09, Lifehacker, etc., and you are using the same (or very similar) login information in Rift, there's a pretty good chance your account will be hacked sooner or later.

1stStrike said:
It was confirmed that zam had malicious ads a while back.
Weird, never click ads, heck I dont even see them with FF ad block/no script

No sweat though, from people in my guild who have been hacked recently they got their stuff back pretty fast. Just hope Trion adds a extra layer of security soon because if I was 50 I would have been a little pissed lol.

Anno

Couple questions GAF:

-Does the game world open up at all? I played to 22 I think the in Beta and while the zones were nice it all felt very on-rails, so to speak. I don't expect the game to be super open world, but some more freedom would be nice.

-How much non-combat content is there? Stuff like crafting, world exploration, collections and stuff.

I'm likely going to get the game either way because I enjoyed the beta and it seems like the game is taking off pretty well. It's been awhile since I was there from the start of a new MMO. Hopefully I'll see you all on Belmont soon!

markot said:
Yeah, most people want to try before they buy.

Honestly that's true of almost any purchase a person can make. That's not the issue. It's whether the developer feels it would be beneficial for them at this point. The lack of a trial means they don't. Until the number of people willing to buy to try becomes too low, they have no reason to do it.

Just wait, there'll be one at some point.

Anno said:
Couple questions GAF:

-Does the game world open up at all? I played to 22 I think the in Beta and while the zones were nice it all felt very on-rails, so to speak. I don't expect the game to be super open world, but some more freedom would be nice.

-How much non-combat content is there? Stuff like crafting, world exploration, collections and stuff.

I'm likely going to get the game either way because I enjoyed the beta and it seems like the game is taking off pretty well. It's been awhile since I was there from the start of a new MMO. Hopefully I'll see you all on Belmont soon!

The world opens up a lot more at 30 once you can start hitting multiple zones.

There's tons of crafting. You have have 3 jobs to do. There's also stuff to collect all over the world, namely artifacts strewn everywhere.

Top Bottom