• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

J-Rzez

I can deal with the mob density, it's just the respawn rate can be truly awful. IIRC this was complained about in beta, and they adjust rates before. Hopefully they adjust them again because my deaths basically all the time are caused by the respawn rate of mobs.

Effect said:
This is what I'm most impressed by. Considering what takes place during a rift encounter (minor or major) I'm very surprised. Then there is moving around the large zones without no loading at all.

The biggest complaint I have is the spawning. Killing an enemy sometimes can result in a situation were as soon as you loot it another spawns right on top of you. This can happen about four times I've found before it stops then there is a several second wait before the cycle starts again. This mainly happens I found with stationary enemies.
Yeah, I've seen that. There's one tree near the starter area for Defiant (after the starting story stuff is done) that spawns those dog guys.

The lack of zoning is very impressive yes. I remember DAoCs were pretty smooth, but with this it's like Warhammer in that there's almost no noticing when a transition happens at all.

Other kudos I have to give Trion, they are really keeping up with hotfixes. When you get a few a day and its not intrusively done (not redownloading 30% of the client to patch a small thing). Impressive.

Anyone else having trouble patching?? I just got Rift from amazon and I am stuck at 8.33/8.36 gigs.... and it errors out every time I restart. It's KILLING me!!

1stStrike

Banned
WDFHaldimath44 said:
Anyone else having trouble patching?? I just got Rift from amazon and I am stuck at 8.33/8.36 gigs.... and it errors out every time I restart. It's KILLING me!!

That's odd. Their patcher has always been top notch previously =\

Onagi

Banned
I talked to a classmate about this game. He got it last week while we were on spring break. I asked him what he thought and he said "It's WoW." He didn't say it in a positive or negative light, he just said it matter-of-factly.

I thought it looked pretty neat. Is what he said true or he is really oversimplifying things?

Onagi said:
I talked to a classmate about this game. He got it last week while we were on spring break. I asked him what he thought and he said "It's WoW." He didn't say it in a positive or negative light, he just said it matter-of-factly.

I thought it looked pretty neat. Is what he said true or he is really oversimplifying things?

Grossly oversimplifying things.
It has a lot of MMO basics that were in WoW, but the core game differs greatly.
For starters, you can be whatever you want with the Soul system.
There's no set "best" spec and you can play with it until you're happy.
Also, there's a lot more to do in a much more living world. Rifts and invasions give a good sense of community.

LowParry

AceBandage said:
Grossly oversimplifying things.
It has a lot of MMO basics that were in WoW, but the core game differs greatly.
For starters, you can be whatever you want with the Soul system.
There's no set "best" spec and you can play with it until you're happy.
Also, there's a lot more to do in a much more living world. Rifts and invasions give a good sense of community.

And no racial stats :D I think that's one of the best things to come out of Rift. So when I'm looking at things from a statistic stand point, race isn't a damn factor. Silly right? Eheh.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Onagi said:

It is, in fact, "not WoW".

Lots of similarities and lots of differences.

d0c_zaius

I finally was able to make a Defiant Warrior on Nyx. I would have gone for the GAF server but its PvE.

Anyone interested in starting a PvP guild?

Wallach

Man, things get really busy at 50 when it seems like you're one of a dozen healers on the entire Defiant side. Lost count of how many expert dungeons we've done already, and that's with only me and 1stStrike being the only in-guild 50s. Now that more folks are joining us I think things are going to start moving even faster.

On the plus side, being so uncommon has also led me to get PHAT LOOTS far faster than my leather-wearing compadres. Especially when half of each dungeon's boss loot is Cleric gear.

Not going to be on tonight as my other stuff arrived today and I need to get a little more set up on my end. Luckily some other sucker clever GAFer is now a 50 Cleric as well and can get in on my purple gear racket!

Morn

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
I finally was able to make a Defiant Warrior on Nyx. I would have gone for the GAF server but its PvE.

Anyone interested in starting a PvP guild?

Should've joined Reclaimer. A couple of GAFers are there, as is Fires of Heaven.

jersoc

Wallach said:
Man, things get really busy at 50 when it seems like you're one of a dozen healers on the entire Defiant side. Lost count of how many expert dungeons we've done already, and that's with only me and 1stStrike being the only in-guild 50s. Now that more folks are joining us I think things are going to start moving even faster.

On the plus side, being so uncommon has also led me to get PHAT LOOTS far faster than my leather-wearing compadres. Especially when half of each dungeon's boss loot is Cleric gear.

Not going to be on tonight as my other stuff arrived today and I need to get a little more set up on my end. Luckily some other sucker clever GAFer is now a 50 Cleric as well and can get in on my purple gear racket!

haha that's me. I won't be on much tonight because I gotta watch chuck and SGU when I get home

Arken2121

Hey guys. I need your opinion on how the game is doing so far. I was involved with all beta events so I understand both the gameplay and some mechanics. It was fun but not sure if it's justified. Amazon has it for 40 which sounds like a pretty good deal. What do you guys think?

d0c_zaius

Morn said:
Should've joined Reclaimer. A couple of GAFers are there, as is Fires of Heaven.

cool, thanks for the info. I have no problem remaking my character as I am still trying classes out.

Arken2121 said:
Hey guys. I need your opinion on how the game is doing so far. I was involved with all beta events so I understand both the gameplay and some mechanics. It was fun but not sure if it's justified. Amazon has it for 40 which sounds like a pretty good deal. What do you guys think?

I actually just bought it from amazon, and besides trouble with the patcher, I'm liking it so far. I picked a low pop server to try stuff out and still saw people running around.

Brashnir

sarcastor said:
jesus fucking christ. is there a way to not get killed in this game? every time i step off the beaten path i get gangraped and killed within 2 minutes. i'm a level 11 mage but i can't take on two bad dudes at one time cause i just die. and all my quest involve wandering around enemy territory finding idols or sticks or some shit. this is riduculous.

Out of all the characters I've played so far, I found my mages to be the least survivable by far. I experimented around with a lot of different class combos, and the only one I've found that does OK is Warlock + Necro. Here's a level 11 build that should work pretty well. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwvR.h.fcM0z

Just keep life leech up things by refreshing with your void bolt, and hit each mob with dark touch/necrosis. Use Reconstruct after fights (with Sacrifice Life:Mana as needed) to get yourself back to top fighting form before you pull again.

Or just re-roll as a Bard. They're damn near indestructible in comparison.

GAAHHHHH, DAMN YOU GUYS! I think I am going to pick this up. Stupid MMO addiction. I'll kick one game and then be back to another in 1-2 months.

Retrofluxed

So, did my first raid rift tonight (life) and it was awesome. Then I finally did a T2 expert (Runic Decent) and that was tons of fun too. Got a nice epic totem from the trash in there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've experimented with pretty much every Cleric build, and I find that heavy Shaman/14 Inquisitor/0 Warden is the absolute best PvE solo build. This is what it looks like at level 44. I guarantee you will kill faster both in AE and single target situations than any other soul makeup.

Throw up Glacial Shield and Healing Spray before a pull, then tag up to 6 enemies with Vex. Once they are all close, open up with Strike of the Maelstrom, then hit Soul Drain, then ravage them with repeated Avalanche Strikes all while making sure to hit Jolt and Fated Blow when they pop up. Refresh Vex and Healing Spray if necessary and use Soul Drain or Strike of the Maelstrom if they repop and there are still enough enemies standing. If you really want to make quick work of all of your targets, just pop Rage of the North before using Strike of the Maelstrom and your enemies will melt before your eyes in seconds.

Against single targets, just tag your enemy with Vex and Sanction Heretic, use Battle Charge to close the distance and unleash on them with your melee macro. Mobs don't usually survive past the duration of Vex.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Can someone give me a or link to quick rift walk-through summary similar to this:

In WOW:
You pick a class and level to 10 in the starting zone. At 10 you pick a spec and can queue for two battlgerounds. One is capture the flag with 10 players, the other is 15 players where you try to capture more bases. At level 15 you can do a few dungeons with 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps. In the dungeon you kill trash then bosses. Bosses have a chance to drop a items/gear you can't get from other bosses and you have to compete with others that can use the gear with a dice roll. More battlegrounds and dungeons open as you level higher. You travel to higher and higher level zones and stay in each for a few hours. You can pick up professions and gather materials in the world. You get a mount at level 20, a faster one at 40, a flying one at 60, a faster flying one at 70. You can grind reputation for items like gear. You have gear enchants. There are X amount of endgame bosses and each class has the same looking epic gear set. There are rare gear and mount items only a select few will have.

LowParry

Best way to enjoy Stillmoor, is crank up some Castlevania music :) And my character is looking pretty hot right now. One more to go till I hit 50!

9aahpu.jpg

Ok, i just rolled a Inquisitor (hopefully a good starting choice) and the name is Sva. I am on the Belmont server, Defiant side. An invite would be greatly appreciated :D

Morn

Banned
DeathNote said:
Can someone give me a or link to quick rift walk-through summary similar to this:

In WOW:
You pick a class and level to 10 in the starting zone. At 10 you pick a spec and can queue for two battlgerounds. One is capture the flag with 10 players, the other is 15 players where you try to capture more bases. At level 15 you can do a few dungeons with 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps. In the dungeon you kill trash then bosses. Bosses have a chance to drop a items/gear you can't get from other bosses and you have to compete with others that can use the gear with a dice roll. More battlegrounds and dungeons open as you level higher. You travel to higher and higher level zones and stay in each for a few hours. You can pick up professions and gather materials in the world. You get a mount at level 20, a faster one at 40, a flying one at 60, a faster flying one at 70. You can grind reputation for items like gear. You have gear enchants. There are X amount of endgame bosses and each class has the same looking epic gear set. There are rare gear and mount items only a select few will have.

With dynamic content, that'd be hard.

shigsy

Zefah said:
I've experimented with pretty much every Cleric build, and I find that heavy Shaman/14 Inquisitor/0 Warden is the absolute best PvE solo build. This is what it looks like at level 44. I guarantee you will kill faster both in AE and single target situations than any other soul makeup.

Throw up Glacial Shield and Healing Spray before a pull, then tag up to 6 enemies with Vex. Once they are all close, open up with Strike of the Maelstrom, then hit Soul Drain, then ravage them with repeated Avalanche Strikes all while making sure to hit Jolt and Fated Blow when they pop up. Refresh Vex and Healing Spray if necessary and use Soul Drain or Strike of the Maelstrom if they repop and there are still enough enemies standing. If you really want to make quick work of all of your targets, just pop Rage of the North before using Strike of the Maelstrom and your enemies will melt before your eyes in seconds.

Against single targets, just tag your enemy with Vex and Sanction Heretic, use Battle Charge to close the distance and unleash on them with your melee macro. Mobs don't usually survive past the duration of Vex.

Interesting stuff, just approaching 20 on my Cleric. What weapon combo would you be using with that build? 1h/shield or 2h? Also would that mean you'd be looking for some strength as a stat as well as int/sp? Any help appreciated :)

Does the invasion/rift stuff change much besides the type of enemies as you get into other zones? Or is just the same thing over and over again with a different boss at the end for everyone to zerg rush?

BrettWeir

CcrooK said:
Best way to enjoy Stillmoor, is crank up some Castlevania music :) And my character is looking pretty hot right now. One more to go till I hit 50!

img snip

Loving everything. I'm 49 and don't look anywhere near that good (of course minus the dwarfism). Ultra settings with shadows off. Stupid snowflake over the bow.

1iu3e.jpg

kFNGC.jpg

Couple more screens from last night's adventuring...

I just loved the way this Rift's ground effect went splat on the area it landed. :)

The titan in Stoneview(?). Very cool, my gf and I crested an outcropping of land and spotted it from a distance, very striking.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
shigsy said:
Interesting stuff, just approaching 20 on my Cleric. What weapon combo would you be using with that build? 1h/shield or 2h? Also would that mean you'd be looking for some strength as a stat as well as int/sp? Any help appreciated :)

When soloing with my Shaman/Inquisitor/Warden build, I always use a powerful 2h weapon. I usually tank or heal in dungeon groups, so I tend to use items with Intelligence, Wisdom, Endurance, Spell Power, and Spell Critical stats on them. My PvE solo build might be better off with more Strength and Dexterity, but I don't really want to carry around another set of gear when it's easy enough to solo as is.

Morn

Banned
WonkyPanda said:
Morn, who can I speak to about getting a guild invite?

On Reclaimer? There isn't a GAF guild there. I'm in Embers of Heaven, which is the Fires of Heaven casual guild. There's another GAFFer there too, but I'm not sure what guild they're in.

Morn

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Does the invasion/rift stuff change much besides the type of enemies as you get into other zones? Or is just the same thing over and over again with a different boss at the end for everyone to zerg rush?

Starting around level 20 or so, the major rifts have different type of objectives you'll run into. They aren't all zerg rushes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Morn said:
On Reclaimer? There isn't a GAF guild there. I'm in Embers of Heaven, which is the Fires of Heaven casual guild. There's another GAFFer there too, but I'm not sure what guild they're in.

Once I hit 50 (6 levels to go!) on my Guardian Cleric, I think I'll roll a Kelari Mage or Warrior over on Reclaimer. I've been checking the FoH boards, too, and it sounds like a good time. It might be fun to try out a PvP server.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
WonkyPanda said:
Oh, I thought mostly everyone was on Belmont.

Most people are, I believe. But if you want to play on a PvP server, then Belmont isn't for you.

1stStrike

Banned
Hey guys, any of you that need to get in to the guild on Belmont just shoot me a tell in-game (or any officer per our roster on the LC forums). My in-game nick is Elvirnith.

We also have 11 lvl 50's now.

Anno

I rolled up a warrior just to see how the other side lives and, wow, Riftblades are pretty fun. Getting Fiery Burst and Storm Blade up at the same time makes for lots of fun even at level 4.

Morn

Banned
Anno said:
I rolled up a warrior just to see how the other side lives and, wow, Riftblades are pretty fun. Getting Fiery Burst and Storm Blade up at the same time makes for lots of fun even at level 4.

They get even more fun later.

Finally started raiding.

Initially figuring out how to beat these encounters since there are no guides is up is great. However, once you figure it out, it's absurdly easy.

I expect another subsequent round of buffs on the Greenscale bosses at some point. Probably Akala too.

1stStrike

Banned
Okay, we're at about our limit on clerics. They already out number everyone else and we have 4 lvl 50 clerics. If anyone else wants to join us on Belmont Rogue/Warrior/Mage only please.

1stStrike said:
Okay, we're at about our limit on clerics. They already out number everyone else and we have 4 lvl 50 clerics. If anyone else wants to join us on Belmont Rogue/Warrior/Mage only please.

You'd refuse a player just because they roll a cleric? Seems weird unless you're trying to build a raiding guild with only active raiding members, which maybe you are and I've not seen that somewhere.

1stStrike

Banned
blurredvision said:
You'd refuse a player just because they roll a cleric? Seems weird unless you're trying to build a raiding guild with only active raiding members, which maybe you are and I've not seen that somewhere.

We will be raiding, not hardcore, but I'd like to keep a balance of classes. If you have too many of one class then it results in less loot all around. The last 5 people or so that joined the guild have all been clerics and while I can appreciate people wanting to play them, we just don't need anymore in the guild right now.

Top Bottom