• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

KaYotiX

Banned
Hey first strike, ill prolly roll a warrior of some sort. Wont be on till tomorrow but who can i hit up for a guild invite?

Played the game on a friends account and just bought the CE from amazon :)

1stStrike

Banned
KaYotiX said:
Hey first strike, ill prolly roll a warrior of some sort. Wont be on till tomorrow but who can i hit up for a guild invite?

Played the game on a friends account and just bought the CE from amazon :)

Any of the officers listed in the guild roster on our website

Officers are up to date, though I have to go through the member list and update it again. I think there's been another 10 or 15 people since I last updated it.

Chrange

Banned
WonkyPanda said:
wow, never knew that clerics would be so popular.

As the spec I chose, for the first 15 levels or so you can put all your attacks on a single macro button and just hammer it. Never went below 85% life or so, while taking on two or occasionally three mobs at once. Pretty crazy class to start.

Anno

And with that I resolve to never ever again visit the official Rift forums. My god. No greater hive of scum and villainy.

1stStrike

Banned
Anno said:
And with that I resolve to never ever again visit the official Rift forums. My god. No greater hive of scum and villainy.

Welcome to MMO forums in general. It's always a hive of utter garbage.

Anno

1stStrike said:
Welcome to MMO forums in general. It's always a hive of utter garbage.

Apparently. My MMO for the last few years has been either Everquest or LotRO. I guess I'm out of touch with modern MMO forums. Eww.

Anno said:
Apparently. My MMO for the last few years has been either Everquest or LotRO. I guess I'm out of touch with modern MMO forums. Eww.

Yeah, it's quite obvious that a lot of WoW population moved over to Rift. The forums are evidence of this.

1stStrike

Banned
Anno said:

If you stay out of general and go to the shard forum, or even some of the other sub-forums it's OK. Just stay out of general.

Solaros

I'm thinking about picking up this game and rolling a Rogue.

I haven't played MMORPGs since Dark Age of Camelot a few years ago.

Anything in particular I should know before I buy?

What server is the GAF guild on? Any starter tips? Stuff like that.

Effect

These invasions taking place in Freemarch are becoming a bit annoying. Taking part in them is fun but when I just want to finish up task they make traveling a pain on top of the how normal monsters are placed.

I also hope the story picks up. Just finished the series of task that lead me to the Defiant city/stronghold. I think this one mission into the Iron Tombs might be interesting but it's a bit above my level at the moment so there is another task/mission leading elswhere that I guess I have to do that first. If it wasn't for the rifts and invasions taking place I'd be very bored with the game even though I like it. The story so far is just barely mildly interesting. Just a lot of grunt work. Go here and clear out this area, gather things things, watching this, etc. I know who the big bad in this area is, lets move on. It was clear back in one of the very early missions. The lore books have been the most interesting so far and I'm glad I was able to pick up a bunch of them in the city.

1stStrike

Banned
Solaros said:
I'm thinking about picking up this game and rolling a Rogue.

I haven't played MMORPGs since Dark Age of Camelot a few years ago.

Anything in particular I should know before I buy?

What server is the GAF guild on? Any starter tips? Stuff like that.

Well, reading the OP would probably be a good start as most of what you need is in there (including the guild info, server, etc.) :p

The game is pretty intuitive. I'd recommend just playing around with builds. Oh and if you make something that you don't like - remember that you can get all the souls for your class at lvl 13 and have up to 4 different soul configurations. You don't need to reroll just cause you don't like assassin or something :p

Amneisac

I'm downloading now, I'll need something to keep me occupied while the FFXI servers are down and it seems like a good time to jump in while the game's still so new. I love playing a new MMO when they're so full of promise and excitement. Unfortunately they almost always disappoint. I hope this one's different! I'll register on the Lotus Cross site as soon as I know what my character name is.

Edit: Character name is Amnesiac, I'm on Belmont, probably won't play much more tonight but I'll be on tomorrow and hit someone up for an invite. Game seems great for the first 5 minutes!

Hawk269

As a new player to MMO's, with my history of playig WoW for about 2 days, LOTR for about 2 days, Conan for about 2 days, Final Fantasy (the 1st one) for about a week and none of them held my interest that much. RIFT however has and alot of the reason is because I think it looks really good.

However, one thing that bugs me about it is this....Why did they not make the starting areas for the different races unique? We get only two Story lines for the most part in the Defiants/Guardians, but how much better would the game have been if each race had there own starting area till about level 10 or so, then everyone lands into the same zones that they do now depending on faction?

I also kind of wish that there were a few lower level dungeons or caves. The whole Freemarch area seemed overly long and it would of been nice to have a low level dungeon at around level 10 or 12, then move to the Iron Tombs (defiant side).

But overall, I love the game. It has stopped me from buying other games which is good for me to save some money and even though I am only at level 26, I am enjoying the hell out of the game.

Got to 50 yesterday! Ran Abyssal Pinnacle and Caldera's C...something today. Both were pretty fun. Picked up a new chest, shield, helm, and the epic pants from the Stillmoor raid quest so hopefully I'll be able to start running experts soon.

1stStrike

Banned
Tanked Kings Breach on expert for the first time. What a nightmare, but we got through it. Hardest fight in the game so far. I'm 8 plaques away from moving to Tier 2 dungeons.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I was hacked yesterday with all of my platinum stolen. Was questing in the morning, logged out , came back later at night, found my toon in front of a mailbox with no platinum. 40 plat gone. I don't lick on banners (adblock) and I don't visit Zam either. Only Rift sites I go to are the main site, my guild's and the Wiki.

GM has not gotten back to me. My password is not easy to figure out.

If this isn't resolved tomorrow, that is it for my time in Rift. I will not tolerate this kind of shit. In all my years of MMO playing, I have NEVER been hacked. Not about to start letting it slide now.

Erasus

Hawk269 said:
However, one thing that bugs me about it is this....Why did they not make the starting areas for the different races unique?

Starting areas go by pretty fast, and that would take too much time to makre really. Better put that time towards the areas where player spend a lot of time.

Amneisac

Kintaro said:
I was hacked yesterday with all of my platinum stolen. Was questing in the morning, logged out , came back later at night, found my toon in front of a mailbox with no platinum. 40 plat gone. I don't lick on banners (adblock) and I don't visit Zam either. Only Rift sites I go to are the main site, my guild's and the Wiki.

If this isn't resolved tomorrow, that is it for my time in Rift. I will not tolerate this kind of shit. In all my years of MMO playing, I have NEVER been hacked. Not about to start letting it slide now.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, obviously this is a very widespread problem and I'm living in fear it's going to happen to me (and I haven't even really started playing yet). I've heard they're talking about implementing some sort of cell phone based authentication which would be awesome. I just don't understand why this is happening. I've been careful to use a unique password (not one I use for anything else) and not to register on any fan sites in case that's where the leaks are coming from. It just seems far more likely to me that there is some sort of internal security problem on their end and that's something that should never happen with an internet-based-video-game company.

Maybe the Coin Lock System will help?

1stStrike

Banned
Kintaro said:

I saw you login and log off yesterday before it happened. It was probably an hour or two before you logged in to find all of your stuff gone. A guy I was playing with last night also got kicked off in the middle of an expert dungeon boss fight and had to change his password :3

Nobody has messed with my account and I just went and changed my password the other day. I'd recommend everyone here do the same just to be safe. Make sure it's at least 8 characters long with capitals, lowercase, numbers and symbols as well.

Oh and a friend of mine has been waiting a week with no word on his stuff. They are flooded with support requests right now so while you will get it back at some point, it could either be a day or who knows when. According to him if you call in you go straight to an Indian call center too.

Wallach

WonkyPanda said:
I definitely want to roll a cleric. Is shaman/druid still the best leveling spec?

I have to disagree with some of our other GAFers and say that heavy Inquisitor pretty much wrecks our other options for solo leveling speed. I hit 50 fairly quick by most peoples' standards and I never saw above level 10 Defiant-side in beta (or level 20 of Guardian for that matter). Inquisitor is just a boss soul for doing stuff solo. Soul Drain is a monster.

1stStrike

Banned
Just saw the announcement before I left - servers are going down for an update in a few with 60 mins of down time. If someone could post the patch notes up I'd appreciate it as I'm going to be spending a good chunk of time in the hospital today for my grandma's knee surgery.

Also, I heard from Maxrpg / Ashton and he's alive and plans on coming back when RL slows down :p

Wallach

1stStrike said:
Just saw the announcement before I left - servers are going down for an update in a few with 60 mins of down time. If someone could post the patch notes up I'd appreciate it as I'm going to be spending a good chunk of time in the hospital today for my grandma's knee surgery.

Also, I heard from Maxrpg / Ashton and he's alive and plans on coming back when RL slows down :p

I'll post 'em whenever they go up. I just logged on and saw the announcement.

Here they are, actually:

RIFT Patch Notes 1.02 said:
COINLOCK FEATURE -- Account Security
* If your account is logged in from a significantly different location, your characters will be 'Coin Locked' until an additional ownership verification is made.
* A Coin Locked account will receive an e-mail to their registered account address containing a code to enter in-game to unlock the account.

* A Coin Locked icon will appear on the bottom center of your screen if your account is in this state.
* While you are Coin Locked, characters on your account cannot:
- Access the Auction House.
- Send Mail (can still receive and view mail or remove items).
- Sell to vendors.
- Salvage, Runebreak, or destroy items.
- Trade.
- You can continue to play and gain coin and items, but cannot get rid of them.

* If you are Coin Locked, click on the Coin Lock icon and enter the code found in your e-mail from Trion.
* You can also have Coin Lock emails re-sent to your email address by clicking the button on the Coin Lock interface.
* Once you have verified ownership from a new location, that location is whitelisted for future account access.
* If you cannot access your email or are otherwise unable to change your Coin Locked status, contact Customer Service.

MAIL SPAM FILTERING
* Reporting mail as Spam now works a lot more like the chat and /tell spam system.
* Sending mail that the game filter recognizes as spam results in an additional coin charge.
* Mail you receive that has been flagged as spam will go to the Spam tab of your mailbox UI.

GENERAL
* Made a number of changes to how NPCs react to higher level characters:
- Characters under the effect of Exposed no longer have an additional chance to be dismounted.
- Reduced the minimum aggro range of monsters significantly below a character's level.
- Increased the rate at which aggro range reduces as a character's level increases relative to a mob.
* Fixed Forest Disruptor companion so his footsteps are not as loud as a full-size Treant.

ZONES
* Runic Descent: Expert: Corrected an issue where this instance could end with players still inside.
* As a result of the above change, the Captured Soul NPC will be re-enabled after this update.
* Moonshade Highlands: Rational Ward: Fixed issues with quest not updating.

RAIDS
* Greenscale's Blight: Ongoing tuning for Duke Letareus, Infiltrator Johlen, Oracle Aleria, and Prince Hylas.
* Greenscale's Blight: Prince Hylas is immune to player abilities that reduce healing taken.
* Greenscale's Blight: Fixed an issue that could cause Greenscale's protective Life Aura to occasionally not spawn.
* Akala: Reduced health of Stone Wardens in the Akala outdoor raid to make the first phase possible with 10 players.
* Akala: Akala's Aegis of Stone and Gift of Laethys buffs can no longer be purged.

nataku

Amneisac said:
I'm really sorry to hear about this, obviously this is a very widespread problem and I'm living in fear it's going to happen to me (and I haven't even really started playing yet). I've heard they're talking about implementing some sort of cell phone based authentication which would be awesome. I just don't understand why this is happening. I've been careful to use a unique password (not one I use for anything else) and not to register on any fan sites in case that's where the leaks are coming from. It just seems far more likely to me that there is some sort of internal security problem on their end and that's something that should never happen with an internet-based-video-game company.

Maybe the Coin Lock System will help?

Too late for the coin lock system for Darsh. :( The coin lock system doesn't prevent you from buying from a vendor either, so you could still lose a ton of plat if the hacker just wanted to be an ass. Based on what I've read it would take a miracle for him to get a response from CS by the end of the week.

I don't understand why they thought it was good idea to launch without any kind of authentication system.

Hixx

CoinLock feature is an ok solution for now but not a long-term solution I hope; they need to get some authenticator type dongles out asap though.

Got to finish DA2 and get back into this, haven't touched it since the minute DA2 unlocked, heh :(

1stStrike

Banned
Nice. I hope the coin lock system works as advertised.

Also, thank god for the mount and aggro changes. I finally got my lvl 50 mount and was still getting knocked off in 1 hit :|

Wallach

1stStrike said:

Also, thank god for the mount and aggro changes. I finally got my lvl 50 mount and was still getting knocked off in 1 hit :|

Yeah, to be honest they were two of my bigger gripes with the game at level 50. It was fucking dumb to run around and do simple stuff like gather herbs. Note that is still dumb but that's mostly apothecary's fault for being a hilariously bad tradeskill - maybe more tolerable with these fixes.

I still think "Exposed" in general is pretty retarded, though, and wouldn't mind seeing that disappear entirely.

LowParry

1stStrike said:

Seriously. I hate that shit with a passion. They really should lower the rate of being knocked off with mounts.

nataku

HixxSAFC said:
CoinLock feature is an ok solution for now but not a long-term solution I hope; they need to get some authenticator type dongles out asap though.

Got to finish DA2 and get back into this, haven't touched it since the minute DA2 unlocked, heh :(

They are, but only iPhone and Android apps and text message authenticators. I remember reading in an interview at Massively that they won't have a separate hardware authenticator because they claim everyone has the ability to either use the app or receive a text message.

The coin lock feature is interesting, but if all the hacked accounts really are keyloggers as Trion claims and not a problem on their end (which I have my doubts) then those hackers have easy access to your email as well.

Wallach

nataku said:
They are, but only iPhone and Android apps and text message authenticators. I remember reading in an interview at Massively that they won't have a separate hardware authenticator because they claim everyone has the ability to either use the app or receive a text message.

The coin lock feature is interesting, but if all the hacked accounts really are keyloggers as Trion claims and not a problem on their end (which I have my doubts) then those hackers have easy access to your email as well.

I have my doubts too, but you can protect yourself a little more from that by using something like GMail that has a 2-step authentication as your Trion e-mail address.

FLEABttn

Banned
I've been giving this one a try for the past couple of days. Been very enjoyable, and plan on going with it for a while. Rolled on Belmont as well, but as Guardian.

Side note, it's the first Diku MMO I've played where general chat wasn't taking about WoW the majority of the time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kyoufu said:
Is this worth trying?

It is definitely worth trying. There are a lot of really cool stuff in the game, and any MMORPG fan should be able to enjoy it for, at the very least, a couple of weeks.

Kyoufu

1stStrike said:
Since you're asking a vague question it's difficult to recommend the game since we have no idea what you're looking for in an MMO.

Looking for a decent game with a solid community.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
FLEABttn said:
I've been giving this one a try for the past couple of days. Been very enjoyable, and plan on going with it for a while. Rolled on Belmont as well, but as Guardian.

Side note, it's the first Diku MMO I've played where general chat wasn't taking about WoW the majority of the time.

Yeah, the player-base at least on Greybriar seems to shun people who bring up WoW.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
jersoc said:
praise be to jebus. they fixed the aggro range of low lvl mobs.

lol, no kidding. Nice surprise to see today.

Arken2121

Well if anyone's still on the fence for this the price has been lowered to $32.98 on amazon for the digital and $29.88 for the box but it comes to the same price as the digital with shipping.

KaYotiX

Banned
Bought the CE off Amazon, game is a blast and the only worry I have is the rampant hackers. I did make a random 16 char PW that was me basically smashing the keyboard with my face so I hope that helps lol

1stStrike

Banned
I made a new tank build for T2's today (I have 110 toughness now and most of my T1 set) with 37 in riftstalker / 21 in bladedancer / 8 in bard and it's beastly. Wallach was saying that it was a lot easier to heal and I have more utility + I don't get hit nearly as often. I'll go periods of time without taking any damage - and if I pop side steps it's all miss miss miss miss miss miss hit miss miss miss miss for 15 seconds :)

Plus, I have a opener where I charge at an enemy and root them for 2 seconds which gives me 2 CP to start with (which is awesome).

Lebron

SUPARSTARX said:
Is this game worth getting if I like/liked WoW? Should I expect a WoW clone without the cartoony designs?
The fact that you're bombarded with so many skills early on and the many public Rift events that you can join from the beginning kind of distinguish it from WoW if you ask me. It's a shame they don't have a trial phase up yet.

Top Bottom