• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
SUPARSTARX said:
Is this game worth getting if I like/liked WoW? Should I expect a WoW clone without the cartoony designs?

You'll see many of the same elements - quests, leveling, etc. The storyline does have some rather interesting parts, however, and the rifts as well as the soul system all distinguish it nicely from other games. For example:

I play a rogue. What does a rogue do in WoW? It dps's. Kill shit fast. That's a rogue. What does it do in rift?

1. Bard
2. Riftstalker
3. Nightblade
4. Marksman
5. Ranger
6. Assassin
7. BladeDancer
8. Infiltrator

You can make up to 4 different builds and combine any combination of 3 souls with a total of 66 points to distribute between them at lvl 50 (51 points per soul tree).

I have a tank build, a ranged DPS build, a bard build for support and a solo assassin/stealthing build which falls in line with the classic rogue - burst DPS and poisons. I can swap between these any time I'd like (except when in combat) with the click of a button.

Really love the utility in this game and for those that love making and tweaking builds there are all kinds of goodies.

Plus, the expert dungeons at 50 are tons of fun. I'm hoping to try out a raid rift sometime soon and start raiding greenscale in the near future.

Anno

So what are people here doing for tradeskills? Typically I go for something that produces consumeable items, but I've heard that Apothecary is a rather lacking skill at the moment.

Pendulum

Anno said:
So what are people here doing for tradeskills? Typically I go for something that produces consumeable items, but I've heard that Apothecary is a rather lacking skill at the moment.

As a Rogue I've taken up Butchering, Outfitting and Runecrafting. I've found the armor I can generate is equal or better in some cases to the drops and quest rewards for the same level.

But if anyone wants to go Runecrafting fortheloveofgod take it at the earliest point you can and not at level 30 like I did. The pain of trying to obtain/buy things I can runebreak with a skill of 75 when I am levelling in areas that drop items that require a level of 225 or so keeps my tears salty and fresh.

Effect

Anno said:

I've been toying with butchering and outfitting but I think I'm going to stop. There are more then enough armor and weapon rewards. Most of the good gear looks like it will be quest reward based so not really seeing a need to keep up or even start a tradeskill now. With the way health regens and you have a healer or some healing gone on don't think one would need health potions normally.

So I don't touch the game for a week due to work. Come back on Tuesday and gain a couple levels, knock out some rifts, defend against invasions, etc. Thursday rolls around and I log in to do some crafting except all my characters are stripped and looted. I'm really curious how this hacking is taking place since I play Rift on a laptop that only plays games, I don't even web browse on it.
Anyone had any luck getting their characters restored? I know last time I needed GM help it took them 5 days to resolve it.

Arken2121 said:
Well if anyone's still on the fence for this the price has been lowered to $32.98 on amazon for the digital and $29.88 for the box but it comes to the same price as the digital with shipping.

Didn't take them long to raise the price back up, it's back to $40 (and even the digital CE is way back up to $60).

Effect

I'm staying the hell away from every Rift based or MMO in general forum that I can think of. That's the stance I took after my WoW account was hacked. That's when I really started making my passwords harder (took a while to remember it as a result). Still that didn't help when my Guild Wars and Aion accounts were hit. Thankfully I managed to get them all back. Changed my password this morning too for Rift. You never know where the leak or hack to get information comes from. Either someone hit the company database, one of the forums and fansites, or an (worst case) active leak from within.

Best thing to do is to change your password every few weeks I think. It's annoying to do so though.

Ferny

I got hacked overnight and I too haven't visited any fan sites or anything like that. It looks like the coin system they implemented is working because they emailed me a code and says I can't sell anything till I put the code in.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Ferny73 said:
I got hacked overnight and I too haven't visited any fan sites or anything like that. It looks like the coin system they implemented is working because they emailed me a code and says I can't sell anything till I put the code in.

It works, some what... There are loopholes that the hackers are aware of though.

Coverly

So for clerics, can someone post a offensive macro/macros that you have?
I'm looking at the macro documentation on websites and it says you can only have one cast per macro. So if you have 5 or 6 spells you want to launch in sequence, is there no way to put that in macro form?

TheExodu5

Banned
Coverly said:
I'm looking at the macro documentation on websites and it says you can only have one cast per macro. So if you have 5 or 6 spells you want to launch in sequence, is there no way to put that in macro form?

If they're on cooldowns or procs, you can. Shaman's abilities can be macro'd.

nataku

Iadien said:
Supposedly COD mail works.

If it does they'll hotfix it out.

Like they were going hotfix out the ability to delete your character. Yes, after they put the coin lock in they forgot to lock out the ability to delete characters, so hackers could just delete your toon entirely out of spite.

The hotfix was supposed to go up this morning, but it was delayed for some reason. Hope you guys don't get hacked in the meantime, because you could lose your character completely if the hacker is pissed off he can't get plat from you anymore.

Alrus

I just bought this as an impulse buy, I have no idea why as I had no interest before it came out but the class system looks great and I felt like trying a new mmo, hope I'll enjoy it :)

Interfectum

I'm seeing more and more about this game... let me ask a few basic questions and see if you guys can sell me on it.

BTW, my favorite MMO is UO, my most played MMO is WoW.

- How is the armor setup in this game? Can you dye armor? Are there lots of cool armor sets to choose from or does it guide you down one specific path ala WoW? How customizable is the armor in terms of looks (or how much can I distinguish myself from other players)?

- If I don't want to do any 'research' about class builds, raiding or any of that shit is this game still fully playable? All I want to do is play a fun game, not dedicate my life to it.

- Can I play this game for 30 minute spurts and still get something from it?

- Can I play a WoW type Rogue in PvP where I can hide and attack at my leisure? How does the stealth mechanic work?

- Are there WoW style battlegrounds or something similar to mass PvP with objectives?

Yes you can dye your armor! Rift in it's self is refreshing and a welcome change from WoW, so even if you don't want to run instances or raid, you'll have fun with just the rift events that occur. Though I'm pretty sure after a while that will get pretty boring as well, we'll see.

I'm not a rogue so I can't comment on that. But you don't have War Fronts which are the same as battlegrounds, but they are objective based.

Back to the armor, initially I was disappointed in the armor selection, but after a while and seeing some of the high up designs, they are really well done and thought out. Still there isn't any outrageous customization, at least that I've seen, that lets you stand out from the crowd.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interfectum said:
I'm seeing more and more about this game... let me ask a few basic questions and see if you guys can sell me on it.

- How is the armor setup in this game? Can you dye armor? Are there lots of cool armor sets to choose from or does it guide you down one specific path ala WoW? How customizable is the armor in terms of looks (or how much can I distinguish myself from other players)?

- If I don't want to do any 'research' about class builds, raiding or any of that shit is this game still fully playable? All I want to do is play a fun game, not dedicate my life to it.

- Can I play a WoW type Rogue in PvP where I can hide and attack at my leisure? How does the stealth mechanic work?

- Are there WoW style battlegrounds or something similar to mass PvP with objectives?

- It seems like there are two or three different graphics for any armor slot every 5 - 8 levels or so. That's generalizing a bit, but while there isn't a ton of variety, I don't feel that there is a severe lack of different armor looks. Dyes are available from a vendor in each faction's city.

- I actually find it a lot more fun to just experiment with things myself than spend time researching crap. It's really easy and relatively cheap to re-spec, and you can have four different specs that you can swap between at any given time, so the game definitely encourages experimentation.

- 30 minute spurts? Sure. Quests are a lot like WoW, so they are very "bite-sized". You can also just run around and fight mobs in invasions and rifts for some decent exp and nice rewards.

- I know rogues can stealth and become invisible in PvP, but I never really played much PvP in WoW and I haven't played a lot of PvP in this game, either.

- Yes. They are called Warfronts. I think there are only four or five right now, but they all represent different game types (hold the object, capture the flag, secure the location, etc...)

Prodigal

Banned
Interfectum said:

There's very little variety in armor appearance and the Assassin rogue soul lets you have perma-stealth.

Interfectum said:

Armor variety is limited like it was in Warhammer, you will change armor many times and it will look the same outside of a texture design on it or coloring. There is dye though.

If you liked WoW you should like this, the core of the game is pretty much the same but it has some unique features and unique visual identity.

Anno

Running into Meridian for the first time is pretty damned cool. It's a great looking city, especially in its scale.

Edit: Speaking of armor, I ran over to the auction house to see what upper level armor and shields look like. Plate looks very cumbersome on human models to me. Chain, on the other hand, looks great. The longer hauberks are just fantastic looking. Leather and cloth look good, too. There's not what I'd call a ton of different models but I think there are enough and most of them look very good. Shields are a little less impressive, but not bad. Swords look very good.

Kade

Just bought the game and tried to register an account but it keeps giving me an Error 500. :(

Also, who do I need to talk to if I want to be a member of the GAF guild?

EDIT: Switching browsers fixed my issue. The Trion Worlds site does not like Chrome.

Ricker

Damn,so they delayed the coin lock update for the N.A. servers and I patched up(updated)my character from the EURO server this morning...so until they are up to date on the N.A. servers,which was suppose to be tomorrow at 8 a.m. PST,I can`t play on Belmont... one of the small problems from being able to switch regions on the fly.

Chrange

Banned
Coverly said:

You can't really cast in sequence, but you stack your longest cooldown first, then the next, then the next, and whatever instant you want to cast last. Hitting the button the first time casts the first one (say a 15 second cooldown) then the next hit, because it's on cooldown, goes to the next one. Next hit has two on cooldown so it casts the next, etc...

So a couple hits and you're down to the instant, then as soon as a cooldown is up you cast that instead. Works really well for reactionary and situational ones. Put them at the very top, then the long cooldown, etc...

1stStrike

Banned
Phew. The 2nd boss fight in KB and the spider fight at the end of FC are immensely stressful. It's gotten to the point where I just don't like playing them on expert anymore (and thankfully I have enough gear to do T2's now).

We just did FC and everything went pretty smoothly for the most part - there were a couple wipes but those were from this mage from Aigis who kept pulling aggro and fucking up my pulls. I won't be bringing him with me again. It was that Ruffeeo guy or whatever his name is that a few guys were talking about so I was like "this guy must be pro" but he was more of a nuisance then anything - and then he bailed on the spider fight after a few wipes so we just said fuck it.

The thing that was pissing me off though - we had two people in the fight with mics and vent was quiet the whole time. Not a peep. I specifically asked them to say something when a spider spawned as I can't watch my skills, the spiders, the queen, and everything else at the same time - I need some communication.

Overall, that was a frustrating end to an overall good run. If my group isn't going to cooperate with me then I'm going to stop bringing those people on expert runs.

I'm generally pretty easy going, but when I'm running an expert instance, especially tanking, I need people to do what I tell them. I have no problems bringing the new guys through either - I mean, we ate like 5 wipes in LH on the fire crystal guy earlier and I was totally cool with it because shit happens on that fight, even with an experienced group, but this spider boss fight was just aggravating.

mxgt

Banned
It seems every warfront I join in the 20-29 bracket I'm the only healer as defiant whereas guardians have multiple.

Took me 7 attempts to win a game of Codex for the quest.

1stStrike

Banned
Ah, what a jip. Just as I'm ready to do T2's:

Reduced Plaque of Achievement rewards from second-tier Expert Dungeon quests to 4 per completion.

The equipment is like 100 - 120 plaques each - which means this is going to be one helluva grind (and people that were ahead of the curve got the benefit of getting 15 plaques for finishing previously).

Somnia

* Characters cannot be deleted while an account is Coin Locked.
* Characters cannot accept CoD mail if they are coin locked.
* Decreased the cooldown between requests to re-send Coin Lock key emails.
* Logging into an account with an existing connection will now force the connected account to fully exit the game.

YAY

KaYotiX

Banned
Somnia said:
* Characters cannot be deleted while an account is Coin Locked.
* Characters cannot accept CoD mail if they are coin locked.
* Decreased the cooldown between requests to re-send Coin Lock key emails.
* Logging into an account with an existing connection will now force the connected account to fully exit the game.

YAY

yup, sux servers are down though.....just as i was fixing to log on

rocK`

Banned
Boo, about to start playing for the weekend.

Thinking about rolling a defiant warrior: reaver/riftblade/paladin, thoughts?

SUPARSTARX

I like playing healer support in MMOs.

Which is the best combination in Rift right now?

I play Holy priest, holy paladin, and resto druid in WoW.

SUPARSTARX said:
I like playing healer support in MMOs.

Which is the best combination in Rift right now?

I play Holy priest, holy paladin, and resto druid in WoW.
Cleric, you can do Purifier for your Disc Priest, Sentinel for Holy Paladin, and Warden for Druid.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm thinking I'm gonna make this an impulse purchase, I've always wanted to play an MMO and this looks like a good place to start.

Does the first free month come with purchases from all DD retailers? It's listed with the Steam version but Amazon has it for $35 and I just wanna make sure I don't have to sub up tonight.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
How non-linear is the world in this game? I heard something about the zones being fairly linear back when the beta was going on and that instantly killed any interest I had in the game. Linear, corridor zones killed Aion for me, is that a problem this game has too?

TheExodu5

Banned
Pretty linear. That's the appeal. It's the only game besides WoW to really get the feeling right.

There's definitely exploration involved though. Puzzles and stashes hidden in every zone. Exploration based achievements.

If you don't like the WoW forumla, you won't like this game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Alright, I just bought this. As a said a few posts up, I've never played an MMO, so this was either a great idea or a horrible mistake. Should be interesting.

Top Bottom