• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
so I bought it from Amazon

I signed up and verified my account and installed the game, but when I try to log in it says I'm not authorized to play the game. Am I doing something wrong? This is frustrating.

seems I have to hope for a code from Amazon, which they didn't send with the purcahase

damn impulse purchases burnt me again!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SUPARSTARX said:
Is it one huge giant sandbox or is it instanced?

Unfortunately for me, it's not a sandbox MMORPG. The only thing on the horizon to look forward in that genre is ArcheAge.

Today's patch apparently fixed a HUGE CRAPPY exploit, which allowed anyone to login to random accounts without any login data whatsoever. This is how people's accounts were getting hacked/drained. And as a side-effect, if the owner of that account was online, they would get kicked. Even with the coin lock, it still gave access to the character-select screen, which let the hacker delete characters.

Snuggler said:
so I bought it from Amazon

I signed up and verified my account and installed the game, but when I try to log in it says I'm not authorized to play the game. Am I doing something wrong? This is frustrating.

seems I have to hope for a code from Amazon, which they didn't send with the purcahase

damn impulse purchases burnt me again!

did you put the serial key on your account?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
WonkyPanda said:
did you put the serial key on your account?

I haven't received one yet, but I sent an email to Amazon. I was hoping to try this out tonight, but hopefully they will send me one soon.

Snuggler said:
I haven't received one yet, but I sent an email to Amazon. I was hoping to try this out tonight, but hopefully they will send me one soon.

if you go to your account and look at purchases, check out the info under Rift. There should be a serial key

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
WonkyPanda said:
Digital Library > Go to games library > Rift w/ activation key should be there

AWESOME, that worked.

I really do appreciate your help, I thought I tried everything but I still wasn't able to find that page. Thank you so much.

*made it through, now just have to update/install 8+ gb of content*

1stStrike

Banned
We tried our first Tier 2 tonight (Runic Descent). It went OK for the first 3 bosses. We had some wipes, but we got past em. Got to the 4th boss and wiped 10 or 12 times. He's fucking insane - does crazy damage (2400 or so a hit) and you have to rely on everyone (even the tank) LoSing him during the battle as well as juggling two adds when he hits 50% (both of them elites).

It's just crazy hard and if it weren't for the adds we'd probably be OK but we ended up just calling it a night. It's just so hard for me to keep up all my buffs and try to juggle the adds too - this is the first fight in the game where I've really wanted/needed an off-tank to help me out and we just didn't have anyone in the group that could do that (2 mages and a rogue with no tank setup or gear).

We're gonna try it again sometime soon and it should be smoother the next time around, but this was frustrating. It's such a simple mechanic but throwing those two elite mobs in really just screws everything up - it's almost impossible for the healing to keep up with me and with everyone having to constantly run away and LoS the boss the mobs take forever to kill.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
All the trolls blaming the users for being hacked are eating crow now. What a huge security hole Rift had. haha

TheExodu5

Banned
I got hacked this week. :lol

I had a really weak password though...had changed it in beta when I let my friend give it a shot. Forgot to change it back to the strong password.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Prodigal said:
I'm not doubting it, but has any actual proof surfaced?

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthre...y-Discussion&p=1747442&viewfull=1#post1747442

Some player on the forum named ManWitDaPlan told Trion what the problem was, and Trion fixed it shortly after. From what I understand, it was possible to log into accounts without the username or password, all that was needed was the account ID.

http://www.riftjunkies.com/

Finally, last night on the official forums, a user by the name of ManWitDaPlan (coincidence?) made the nightmares go away. He made a shocking post titled “ATTENTION TRION – I HAVE VERIFIED THE AUTHENTICATION SYSTEM CAN BE BYPASSED, BY SUCCESSFULLY LOGGING INTO ANOTHER ACCOUNT WITHOUT NEEDING ITS CREDENTIALS.” and “This is a huge security hole. Accounts can be accessed without needing any information at all from clients.” (post found here) He was indeed correct. This was the holy grail security hole that Trion has been trying to locate and fix. How else could you possibly explain all of the account hacking’s in such a short duration of time? Just minutes after he made that post Trion had contacted him and then shortly after patched the security hole as well as made changes to the coin lock system.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Played a few hours. Considering I haven't really played any other MMO's, I don't have a point of comparison but I really like it so far. It feels like there's a million things to do and I can definitely see myself sinking many hours into this. I decided to go with an Elf Mage, it seems like a fun way to play and I'd like to be able to play a supporting role if I ever find a group to play with. I made a female character, hopefully no one tries to fuck me.

Glad I got this, though. Once I'm more adept I'll probably try and push my way into some GAF games if you guys do that kind of thing.

demonkaze

Me and my brother had just started out and liking the game so far. We was wondering if there was anyone on to invite us to the gaf guild if possible?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can you change your beast companion, or do you just keep the one you start with? My skeleton bro is cool and everything but I think I'd like something else.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Snuggler said:
Can you change your beast companion, or do you just keep the one you start with? My skeleton bro is cool and everything but I think I'd like something else.

If you're putting points into the necromancer tree, you only get the Skeleton. But as you put more points into it you will get a better version. I think this applies to all of the pet classes.

Morn

Banned
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?131497-Weekend-Security-Update

Hi, everyone -- I wanted to get an update out for the weekend after the last day of excitement around here.

On last night's fix -- I'm very happy to confirm that we did fix a login vulnerability, with significant assistance from an extremely clever user.

The root cause was a very subtle bug in error checking of our login validations deep in the server code. No personal information or any such was leaked out, and no outside attacker penetrated our servers, networks, or databases.

We'd definitely like to thank Mr. ManWitDaPlan for the well-timed assist. Sir, we salute you and offer our most heartfelt thanks.

The rest of what I'd like to add isn't to detract from the above well-deserved compliment, but it's important to include in the comprehensive picture.

The sobering fact is that account security remains a multifaceted issue, as attacks from other sources continue.

It's important to remember is that while a hole was identified and fixed as rapidly as we possibly could, there are still hackers and botnets trying account/password combinations from compromised web sites and past MMOs.

They are doing this right now. Those attacks have been coming constantly since we launched the game. The only thing that changes are how many hundreds of computers are trying to get into your account at any given moment, where they're coming from, and how many are succeeding.

We do block them as they are detected, but the fact that they are using distributed botnets (compromised computers from across the globe) means that this will remain something that we will continue keeping an eye on, forever.

For users getting hacked this way, Coin Lock is currently doing its job protecting people's belongings, provided that your RIFT password and EMail password are both complex and entirely different.

Both the login fix and the Coin Lock addition have been doing their part in signficantly reducing overall incidents over the last 18 hours.

Neither one is a silver bullet, but so far it is looking to be a solid one-two punch for the weekend.

Then, with two-factor authentication coming very soon, we expect security to be improved even further.

All totalled up, under 1% of accounts with characters have had characters impacted. However, 1% of a surprisingly large number is still very noticeable.

Our staff has been, and will continue to be, working around the clock to get those impacted back in shape. We'll continue hiring on even more people to help people with issues of all kinds, as quickly as we can. (Another round of hires begin on Monday, and there will be even more to follow.)

As always, thanks very much for your time, your attention, your assistance, and your patience!

- Scott Hartsman
Exec Producer, RIFT

Iadien said:
http://forums.riftgame.com/showthre...y-Discussion&p=1747442&viewfull=1#post1747442

Some player on the forum named ManWitDaPlan told Trion what the problem was, and Trion fixed it shortly after. From what I understand, it was possible to log into accounts without the username or password, all that was needed was the account ID.

http://www.riftjunkies.com/
Didn't even need the account ID. When you logged in, the game would write a file somewhere with a login token, and when you hit Play it would use that token to bring up your account. If you knew about it, you could login, and then change that login token to a random value, and when you hit Play it would log you into the account belonging to that token. So it let you access random accounts without logging into them.

Anno

Are you still not recruiting clerics? I definitely understand the reasoning, but it's still a bit of a shame. I wish one of the other callings seemed so well rounded in its options.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I can't play until sometime in April. Are the starter zones already empty? I hate playing in areas that feel like a ghost town.

Shai-Tan said:
I can't play until sometime in April. Are the starter zones already empty? I hate playing in areas that feel like a ghost town.

The starter zone for the first 5 levels is a unique story instance. After that you go into your first zone which actually is pretty well populated because it's made for players up to level 20. You actually spend a good chunk of time in the first zone of the game before you move onto anything new. In a way it keeps the beginning area pretty well stocked with players.

gogojira

Nice to see they fixed the hacking issue (hopefully for good). I'm not sure if I'm happier to see the shit officially fixed, or to see the vast amount of Trion fanboy morons having to eat large portions of crow after continually accusing users of it being their fault.

nataku

I need some fun to play builds for Rogue. I'm... losing interest in my Bard. It's still kind of fun, but I really am getting tired of the constant Cadence spam. I need something different, but none of the other rogue souls interest me. I really have no idea why I decided to play the rogue archetype when I knew I never liked it in other games.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just cancelled my subscription. I'll consider coming back once they fix the latency problems people who live outside of the US have with rifts and warfronts and they activate their customer support, because it doesn't seem turned on right now.

It's a shame, 'cause I was having a blast collecting artifacts and leveling.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Brazil said:
Just cancelled my subscription. I'll consider coming back once they fix the latency problems people who live outside of the US have with rifts and warfronts and they activate their customer support, because it doesn't seem turned on right now.

It's a shame, 'cause I was having a blast collecting artifacts and leveling.
That's a big shame. My latency is better than what it was in WoW and so far I haven't had issues healing in both rifts, dungeons or warfronts.

edit: Just logged in and I've been coin locked. Cool!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
speedpop said:
That's a big shame. My latency is better than what it was in WoW and so far I haven't had issues healing in both rifts, dungeons or warfronts.
Yeah, most of the time my latency in Rift is better than in WoW, but when activity gets intense, it spikes ridiculously, and the game becomes unplayable.

If it only happened during 80+ players rift events, I would understand, but, come on, it should never happen on, say, 10 vs. 10 warfronts. Unfortunately, it does.

Hopefully I'll be able to come back someday :)

1stStrike

Banned
Anno said:
Are you still not recruiting clerics? I definitely understand the reasoning, but it's still a bit of a shame. I wish one of the other callings seemed so well rounded in its options.

You're welcome to join.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Is the GAF guild on Belmont active? I usually play on PvP servers but the guild still has people playing I'll hop on on that server. And if it is, are there any particular classes you guys are in short supply of?

1stStrike

Banned
Spire said:
Is the GAF guild on Belmont active? I usually play on PvP servers but the guild still has people playing I'll hop on on that server. And if it is, are there any particular classes you guys are in short supply of?

Yeah, we're active. Usually anywhere from 10 - 25 people on at a time depending on the time of day. We're mostly balanced so pick what you'd like. I can't forsee us being short of anything any time soon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I decided to reboot my character to change a few skills and to get on the Belmont server. Still playing as a Mage, but I'm specializing in Stormbringer and Healer (whatever it's called). I'm hoping that will be a good combo. I'm too green to do any serious stuff, but I'd like to join up with the guild if possible.

nataku

Anyone else not going to sub after the free month? I was all set to play this until GW2 hits, but for some reason I've completely lost interest in playing the past week. I can't seem to bring myself to say logged in doing more than a handful of quests. I tried messing around with various souls and none of the Rogue ones other than Bard interest me. It's weird because I was really enjoying myself until recently.

I'd start an alt, but the thought of having to grind through the same content I spent the last 44 levels going through makes me want to play even less.

Maybe I should try rolling a Guardian...

1stStrike

Banned
nataku said:
Anyone else not going to sub after the free month? I was all set to play this until GW2 hits, but for some reason I've completely lost interest in playing the past week. I can't seem to bring myself to say logged in doing more than a handful of quests. I tried messing around with various souls and none of the Rogue ones other than Bard interest me. It's weird because I was really enjoying myself until recently.

I'd start an alt, but the thought of having to grind through the same content I spent the last 44 levels going through makes me want to play even less.

I'm already subbed for 6 months. Still having a great time, though not every game is right for every person. There's always the initial excitement and then people lose interest or /wrist over some change after the game comes out and quit. It happens in every MMO.

If you don't like it, well, have fun with whichever game you choose next. Asking for an excuse to keep playing means that you're pretty much done with it already, you just haven't accepted it yet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
nataku said:

I'm definitely sticking on. I'm signed up for 6 months at the reduced rate. I'm about to be level 50 and it looks like there's a decent amount of content in both single group and raid form with more to come. I will also be starting up a Defiant alt on a PvP server and look forward to leveling up another class in a relatively different environment.

For those getting coin locked for the first time, just check the time stamp on your coin lock email to see if it was just received or if it was sent much earlier, which would indicate an unauthorized attempt.

BigAT

EvNG7.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
As I mentioned a few up, I rebooted my character earlier today and I'm already at lvl 11. It's hooked me in, it's running through my veins. I can now see how people get addicted to these kind of games. I've probably put in close to 10 hours today.

Anyways, my Mage is coming along nicely. I can deal some major damage, I'll launch a few spells that chip away with long term damage as I fry my foe with thunderbolt. I love to stack damage and watch my foe's health plummet. I can kick some major ass as long as I keep my distance, my defense sucks. That's my major weakspot, but I think I have a great character for laying down damage as well as supporting the team with HP and boosting stats. Very, very engaging game, though, it's gonna be hard to pull myself away from it. It's that goddamn carrot hanging right in front of me, I want it so bad.

jersoc

Snuggler said:
As I mentioned a few up, I rebooted my character earlier today and I'm already at lvl 11. It's hooked me in, it's running through my veins. I can now see how people get addicted to these kind of games. I've probably put in close to 10 hours today.

Anyways, my Mage is coming along nicely. I can deal some major damage, I'll launch a few spells that chip away with long term damage as I fry my foe with thunderbolt. I love to stack damage and watch my foe's health plummet. I can kick some major ass as long as I keep my distance, my defense sucks. That's my major weakspot, but I think I have a great character for laying down damage as well as supporting the team with HP and boosting stats. Very, very engaging game, though, it's gonna be hard to pull myself away from it. It's that goddamn carrot hanging right in front of me, I want it so bad.

yeah it's pretty fun. it's got some rough edges. broken quests, poor itemization(fucking god damn epics with endurance stats only), broken invasions(i dont think stillmoore has ever worked). but it's new, not even wow was this polished at launch, far from it. I hope they get that dungeon finder in soon though. Taking the time to form a pug is just not worth the effort and hardly any from the guild plays at 2am on weekdays, which is my prime time.

oh, also put fucking diminishing returns on stuns in pvp, god fucking damnit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't know what most of that means, but yeah, I feel like I got lucky with this game as someone who decided to jump with a new MMO. I haven't had any issues with bugs or anything like that, it's played perfectly so far as a quasi-single player game.

My next goal is to save up for a mount. I saved a bit by buying through Amazon, but I'm way jelly of the dudes running around on giant turtles. I found a NPC selling horses but I only have like 50 gold right now. :(

Top Bottom