• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
jersoc said:
yeah it's pretty fun. it's got some rough edges. broken quests, poor itemization(fucking god damn epics with endurance stats only), broken invasions(i dont think stillmoore has ever worked). but it's new, not even wow was this polished at launch, far from it. I hope they get that dungeon finder in soon though. Taking the time to form a pug is just not worth the effort and hardly any from the guild plays at 2am on weekdays, which is my prime time.

oh, also put fucking diminishing returns on stuns in pvp, god fucking damnit.

I'm usually on, but as you mentioned you're a bit unlucky with your hours sometimes. I try to get you in as often as I can though :|

Also, you want to talk about broken drops - 99% of the drops are cleric. It's kind of infuriating when I run 2 - 4 dungeons in a day and get jack shit out of it, yet the cleric or mage or warrior in the group are all getting geared up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1stStrike said:
I'm usually on, but as you mentioned you're a bit unlucky with your hours sometimes. I try to get you in as often as I can though :|

Also, you want to talk about broken drops - 99% of the drops are cleric. It's kind of infuriating when I run 2 - 4 dungeons in a day and get jack shit out of it, yet the cleric or mage or warrior in the group are all getting geared up.

Honestly, it seems pretty random. As a Cleric it feels like there are way too many Plate and Leather drops, but everyone I've talked to bitches about there not being enough of his or her armor type.

jiien

Snuggler said:
I don't know what most of that means, but yeah, I feel like I got lucky with this game as someone who decided to jump with a new MMO. I haven't had any issues with bugs or anything like that, it's played perfectly so far as a quasi-single player game.

My next goal is to save up for a mount. I saved a bit by buying through Amazon, but I'm way jelly of the dudes running around on giant turtles. I found a NPC selling horses but I only have like 50 gold right now. :(

Next time I'm on, I'll buy you one. They're only two plat or so, right? I'm not super rich, but you certainly get more than enough plat leveling.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
jiien said:
Next time I'm on, I'll buy you one. They're only two plat or so, right? I'm not super rich, but you certainly get more than enough plat leveling.

It's crazy how quick you start earning plat 40+

Everyone told me to just skip the 90% run speed increase mount and wait until level 50, but by the time I reached level 50 I had around 150p, and that was with constant purchases in the auction house.

jiien

Zefah said:
It's crazy how quick you start earning plat 40+

Everyone told me to just skip the 90% run speed increase mount and wait until level 50, but by the time I reached level 50 I had around 150p, and that was with constant purchases in the auction house.

Haha, yeah, exactly. It's definitely exponential or something. I just keep saving it, for something. Don't even know yet. I get by just fine on quest equipment, and there's not much else I need...

Anno

Finally found a way to make Rogues fun. Assassin/Ranger/Riftstalker. I was mostly just messing around and actually found something fun. It's nice to have options at range and close up and a skill to close that distance quickly, even while in stealth. That I can use my pet to distract monsters that've sensed me in stealth so that I can still get off my back attacks is pretty cool. Curious how long the combination can remain strong but for now I'm at least enjoying it.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The_Reckoning said:
This game looks pretty fun, I've looked around a bit, I couldn't find a trial. Any word on a trial? Or recruit a friend things?

Game just launched, so probably not for a while I would think.

jiien

Anno said:
Finally found a way to make Rogues fun. Assassin/Ranger/Riftstalker. I was mostly just messing around and actually found something fun. It's nice to have options at range and close up and a skill to close that distance quickly, even while in stealth. That I can use my pet to distract monsters that've sensed me in stealth so that I can still get off my back attacks is pretty cool. Curious how long the combination can remain strong but for now I'm at least enjoying it.

I did basically that build up until my early thirties. At that point, your pet will stop leveling you (caps at 30), so it quickly becomes way less useful unless you dump more points in Ranger to get higher, which means you won't be very high in Assassin for close range...

Basically, I found I was forced to choose between the two at level 31/32. Because of the crapload of money you have, I tried what I thought were good builds with both, and kept resetting and testing over and over to get a feel for what I thought would be better. I settled with Assassin. I no longer have a pet now, but with Riftstalker, I'm very survivable, and with Nightblade, I have a range option (though I really only use it for the early passives). I actually do keep a Ranger build in another role though.

Actually, for me, it was around the mid-thirties (not that I'm very far from that now) that I finally had enough points to actually make focused and varied viable builds. Previous to that, I felt I never had enough to make a complete decent build, but maybe that was just me.

1stStrike

Banned
As you level up and acquire more points you can, of course, make more interesting builds since you have more points (66) to play with. This really goes a long way towards allowing you to mix things up.

I'm currently running a bladedancer/assassin/riftstalker build at the moment and it's quite handy in dungeon/aoe situations.

Effect

This coin lock system while a nice st art is starting to worry me. Logged in yesterday to find my account coin locked again. I guess when they first made it live it locked everyone. Nothing seemed wrong with my account, was in the same area I logged out of, but it has me worried. I've changed my password a total of three times now and it isn't simple. I hope the system is just buggy. There needs to be something like the authenticator Blizzard has for BattleNet. I actually feel my account is safe with that. This coin lock doesn't at all. If it isn't buggy and I haven't gone to any forums for the game and my system is clean then it's their database that has to be hackable. That will make me not go past the free month in the end.

jiien

Effect said:
This coin lock system while a nice st art is starting to worry me. Logged in yesterday to find my account coin locked again. I guess when they first made it live it locked everyone. Nothing seemed wrong with my account, was in the same area I logged out of, but it has me worried. I've changed my password a total of three times now and it isn't simple. I hope the system is just buggy. There needs to be something like the authenticator Blizzard has for BattleNet. I actually feel my account is safe with that. This coin lock doesn't at all. If it isn't buggy and I haven't gone to any forums for the game and my system is clean then it's their database that has to be hackable. That will make me not go past the free month in the end.

If you were coin-locked, it is not because someone somewhere else tried to access your account, it was because wherever the servers thought you were coming from, it was from a location different from where you first logged in before (or maybe previously, however they keep track of that). It depends on how they determine your location, and what kind of internet connection you have going (proxies, maybe? I dunno).

Don't know about security in general, but at least for coin lock, it is not an indicator that someone tried to log into your account. All it means is that YOU could potentially be someone not you, according to the servers.

1stStrike

Banned
Effect said:

Is your IP static? If you keep getting coin locked check your IP before you login each time at something like http://whatismyip.com. If it's different each time you're coin locked then that would be why.

They said that it'll keep doing this probably for a week or so until it's "learned" your ISP (for those whose IP changes constantly).

Effect said:

Like I stated before, if you log in an are coin locked, then check the time on when the email was sent to you. If it was just sent to you, then you know that their system isn't recognizing your IP for whatever reason and that hopefully it will "learn" you. If the email was sent well before your login, then you'll know somebody else was in your account.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
Just hit level 48 and...man. Leveling slows to a crawl like FFXI at this point. =/

I don't think you remember what leveling was like in FFXI (or other older games like EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot). I took me probably 8 hours to get from 48 to 50. That's really not that long at all.

MaddenNFL64

Zefah said:
I don't think you remember what leveling was like in FFXI (or other older games like EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot). I took me probably 8 hours to get from 48 to 50. That's really not that long at all.

FFXI... shit made me think getting some keys to get to an island, or getting access to sky/sea, finishing CoP, or even limit breaking to 75 was awesome. Do any recent MMO's make you feel such things are like just fucking gigantic hurdles you crossed? I mean, like you & your linkshell buddies are fucking jumping up & down in real life because the shit was finished. Anyone get what I mean in my sleep deprived gibber?

One of the reasons I'll never forget playing it, and I would never want to play anything like it, ever again. Glad I did though.

sturmdogg

Zefah said:
Honestly, it seems pretty random. As a Cleric it feels like there are way too many Plate and Leather drops, but everyone I've talked to bitches about there not being enough of his or her armor type.

Interesting. I'm playing a rogue and I get mostly warrior armor.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MaddenNFL64 said:
FFXI... shit made me think getting some keys to get to an island, or getting access to sky/sea, finishing CoP, or even limit breaking to 75 was awesome. Do any recent MMO's make you feel such things are like just fucking gigantic hurdles you crossed? I mean, like you & your linkshell buddies are fucking jumping up & down in real life because the shit was finished. Anyone get what I mean in my sleep deprived gibber?

One of the reasons I'll never forget playing it, and I would never want to play anything like it, ever again. Glad I did though.

No; the EverQuest/DAoC/FFXI generation was the last to do that. World of Warcraft brought in the generation super-accessible, bite-sized content with quick leveling and constant upgrades. WoW and other copycats since have taken it further so that now players are being rewarded in some form pretty much every 10 minutes or less. While it certainly makes MMORPGs more attractive to the masses and easier to play if you don't have a lot of time, it really kills that feeling of accomplishment you could get from games in the older generation.

This far after release, is the general consensus overall for low level and capped players still that Rift is a great MMO?

Still haven't jumped in because every MMO I've played since WoW got boring, has disappointed me not because they weren't good games, but that they didn't hold a candle to the complexity and polish of Blizzard games.

This game is still hovering in my thoughts day by day by day, I don't know why I just don't get it. lol

1stStrike

Banned
scorpscarx said:
This far after release, is the general consensus overall for low level and capped players still that Rift is a great MMO?

Still haven't jumped in because every MMO I've played since WoW got boring, has disappointed me not because they weren't good games, but that they didn't hold a candle to the complexity and polish of Blizzard games.

This game is still hovering in my thoughts day by day by day, I don't know why I just don't get it. lol

I'm still having a good time with it at lvl 50. Did my first expert rift last night in stillmoor and it was really cool - and I haven't even done any of the others yet. I still find experts fun and have barely touched T2's yet.

At 50, even playing every day, there's still a ton of stuff to do.

jersoc

scorpscarx said:

Yeah it's pretty fun. the game isn't w/o it's problems, but it's nothing that can't/won't be fix with patches. Honestly, this game is way above where wow was at launch and for a good solid year onward. I do wish the company was more forthcoming on issues. They handled the hacking thing well, but outside of that they haven't said much.

I hope it has staying power.

1stStrike said:
I'm still having a good time with it at lvl 50. Did my first expert rift last night in stillmoor and it was really cool - and I haven't even done any of the others yet. I still find experts fun and have barely touched T2's yet.

At 50, even playing every day, there's still a ton of stuff to do.

Ok, what about the just zoning out and getting lost in the world aspect. Like going to Moonglade and spending hours just sitting under a tree or something while watching the stuff float through the air and the butterflies, while thinking about what points to add. Probably my favorite aspect to WoW was the desire just to hang out in the world, listen to the great music, and watch the environmental detail.

Sorry to keep comparing to WoW( I haven't played it in years and have massive issues with it's overall design these days.) But the desire just to hang out was a large reason I kept with it for so long, lol.

I'm probably going to do it, but If this does to me what WAR did, then I will be scarred for life I tell you!

1stStrike

Banned
scorpscarx said:
Ok, what about the just zoning out and getting lost in the world aspect. Like going to Moonglade and spending hours just sitting under a tree or something while watching the stuff float through the air and the butterflies, while thinking about what points to add. Probably my favorite aspect to WoW was the desire just to hang out in the world, listen to the great music, and watch the environmental detail.

Sorry to keep comparing to WoW( I haven't played it in years and have massive issues with it's overall design these days.) But the desire just to hang out was a large reason I kept with it for so long, lol.

I'm probably going to do it, but If this does to me what WAR did, then I will be scarred for life I tell you!

Umm... I think the world looks really good, but it's hard for me to describe. There's been many times where I've just stopped to look at things and take screenshots. I really do appreciate the scenery, but I'm not a "sit for hours under a tree" kind of person. I have screenshots posted throughout this thread though if you want to see what various places look like.

Oh and here's my rogue with almost an entire set of tier 1 armor. Only thing I don't have yet is the helmet, which I'm working on getting today.

2011-03-22_154512.jpg

Nice, what I meant was that I was working on my computer in the background whilst having WoW windowed and doing that other stuff, lol.

Yes, thanks for the responses I've seen most of the thread.

jersoc

scorpscarx said:
Nice, what I meant was that I was working on my computer in the background whilst having WoW windowed and doing that other stuff, lol.

Yes, thanks for the responses I've seen most of the thread.

if you stay under that tree for too long a rift will kill you :p

the game encourages exploring in the forms of artifacts(which get you currency to buy pets and mounts), cairns and puzzles which get you loot, or in my case, of the fortress garbage.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I made it up to Meridian, now @ lvl 16. This place is huge, now I just gotta make some serious gold so I can actually buy something.

BigAT

BrettWeir said:
Ok, I have yet to do a single instance.....so, I need to ask...

What in the world do the references mean for T1, T2 etc?
T1 and T2 refers to the experts instances at level 50. They are divided into two different groups based on difficulty and rewards, tier 1 being easier than tier 2.

KaYotiX

Banned
loving this game!was upset lastnight though, was one of those MAJOR rift invasions and i spent the entire time doing stuff and when we fight the boss i DC and dont get anything...... SUX!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BrettWeir said:
Ok, I have yet to do a single instance.....so, I need to ask...

What in the world do the references mean for T1, T2 etc?

You don't need to worry about that until you hit level 50. At 50 you get the option to do all of the dungeons in the game on an "expert" difficulty, which offers a very challenging experience for a group of level 50 players. The dungeons are split into two tiers as there is a pretty obvious split in terms of difficulty and loot quality between the two tiers.

LowParry

1stStrike said:
Oh and here's my rogue with almost an entire set of tier 1 armor. Only thing I don't have yet is the helmet, which I'm working on getting today.

You been getting those Plague emblem rewards from elite boss kills? The Defiant sets for rogue looks alright. The shoulders I don't agree with but the helm is very Ninja Gaiden-y. :D

Oh, and what spec you rolling with as a main?

Ri'Orius

Anyone have a link to a thorough explanation of this soul system thingamajig? How many souls you start with, how long it takes to get the later ones (are the "heroic souls" included in the eight-per-aspect listed in the OP, or are the heroic souls different?), how exactly you earn skill points, etc.? I tried the game's website but it's... lacking.

Ri'Orius said:
Anyone have a link to a thorough explanation of this soul system thingamajig? How many souls you start with, how long it takes to get the later ones (are the "heroic souls" included in the eight-per-aspect listed in the OP, or are the heroic souls different?), how exactly you earn skill points, etc.? I tried the game's website but it's... lacking.

You start off by picking three souls (given to you as you do the newbie quests). Every time you level you'll get at least 1 skill point to spend (hit 'n' by default to bring up your trees). I think it's every third you get 2 points. Typically what I've been doing is putting all points into a single tree, when I get a double, I'll put it in a secondary soul.
Once you enter the actual game world the quests will eventually point you to your capital city. Once there you'll find a quest that asks you to fight at a rift to collect a shard. Once you have the shard you activate it and fight a soul. Turn that in and you get a new class soul. This quest is repeated until you have all 8 souls in your archetype.
The only other soul I've seen is the pvp soul.
At any point you can talk to a trainer and reset your points (for a cost). Once you've done this, before putting any points in a tree, you can click the icon to change out the soul for any you've previously earned. In addition you can purchase "roles" from your trainer. You can have up to four roles, these are basically saved load outs. For example my primary role as a healer has nothing but healy souls equipped, but I can activate my dps role and switch it on the fly (when out of combat).
Your hot keys are also saved to the role, switching them automatically when you change roles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kyoufu said:
Is there a GAF guild or server or are people just scattered in the wild? Considering picking it up.

Seems like most people are playing Defiant on the Belmont server. Now that my Guardian Cleric on Defiant is 50, I'll probably be starting a Warrior there soon, but I kind of want to try a PvP server, too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
weeeeecrop0bau.jpg

hell yeah

Thanks to Jiien for the mount. This makes hauling ass a lot easier.

now it's time to get some new class skills

Belfast

Zefah said:
No; the EverQuest/DAoC/FFXI generation was the last to do that. World of Warcraft brought in the generation super-accessible, bite-sized content with quick leveling and constant upgrades. WoW and other copycats since have taken it further so that now players are being rewarded in some form pretty much every 10 minutes or less. While it certainly makes MMORPGs more attractive to the masses and easier to play if you don't have a lot of time, it really kills that feeling of accomplishment you could get from games in the older generation.

Unfortunately, a lot of Eastern MMOs (specifically Korean/Chinese) are making things worse. WoW and company have a reasonable reward curve, whereas a lot of these literally give you gifts for staying logged in for more than 15 minutes (amongst many other, trivial acts). Of course, they're all cash shop hells, too, hoping that the constant stream of gifts will increase the chance that you purchase things, as well.

Edit: Oh, forgot about those will will auto-run you to any location/NPC/quest area if you just select your destination off a list.

domstah said:
Are clerics the best AOE class? Cabalist seems completely focused on AOE, right?

Among rogues, bladedancers give them a run for their money on the melee front, and saboteurs are capable of good ranged AOE. Mages have stormcaller. I think it's just warriors who are out of luck.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Prodigal said:
Any d2d codes going around right now? Trying to get my friend in the game but I think he'll only bite at $40.

It isn't D2D, but Amazon is selling the digital version for $42.78.

It was $35 when I bought it last weekend but the price went up like 5 minutes after I bought it. Anyways, jumping back in now.

Prodigal

Banned
Snuggler said:
It isn't D2D, but Amazon is selling the digital version for $42.78.

It was $35 when I bought it last weekend but the price went up like 5 minutes after I bought it. Anyways, jumping back in now.

Oh thanks man, just what I needed.

Top Bottom