• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Feel like ive made a mistake picking the ranger tree rather than my usual Warrior type or even giving something like mage or cleric a shake, just dont want to end up as one of the twenty billion dps!

1stStrike

Banned
darkpower said:
1. The marketing would be fine if they would just accompany that with actual gameplay footage. Something that shows that it at least are willing to claim that they can back it up by providing a rich experience that doesn't grow stale after the trial.
2. I've only spent a few years in WoW, so I couldn't say that I am that bored with it yet at all. Maybe for someone that started in Vanilla, they could claim that, but for me who started in Wrath (I played FFXI or so, so I'm fine with the Cata challenge), I'm not as inclined to say that because there's a lot of content in the game that I've yet to try out, and classes that I haven't played yet. As for Rift, I don't want to commit to something then have it fizz out in a few months or so. I always seem to come late to the party, but by then I have already seen something establish themselves to be worth the wait I give myself. That and I still got a lot of other games that I have backlogged right now that, if I ever get bored of the WoW grind, I can go back on (like more GT5, for example).
3. I hear you that one group of people shouldn't be allowed to represent everyone across the entire internet. If you read the thread about Hotz going to South America, you would see that I posted a link to the N4G story about it, and how people were commenting. I knew that N4G was a unique little snowflake, and I was refreshed to come here and see that, while people chose sides, that they didn't go for the cheap acts of bully-like, homophobic comments that never end well. So I shouldn't really think that Rift's community should be represented by such pricks.

Thing is, though, on the flip side, it seemed like a contingent of people that really did not like what TB said about the game, which, if you watch the vid, he didn't say the game was bad at all (but not something he'd play right now). TB has become one of my favorite guys on YouTube, so I know he not a WoW fanboy by any means, but he got shitted on unnecessarily (threats of unsubbing him came, too). I guess it just set me off (especially after I saw the height that the N4G members were going about Hotz...I'm really am starting to hate THAT side of our subculture).

Then why are you in this thread? Go back to the WoW thread.

Einbroch

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Feel like ive made a mistake picking the ranger tree rather than my usual Warrior type or even giving something like mage or cleric a shake, just dont want to end up as one of the twenty billion dps!
You're still a Rogue, so you can just switch souls and be a tank.

1stStrike

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Yeah im kind of confused by the soul mechanics

How so? Riftstalker is pretty easy to use. Takes some time to get used to it and not suck as a tank, but put 50 or 51 points into the tree (depending on preference) with 8 in bard and the rest into bladedancer or ranger and you're now a tank. At 50 go for gear that has toughness on it and you can tank any T1 or T2 dungeon.

If you don't want to tank, put 51 into bard on a soul and voila, you now have a support class you can play as.

Einbroch

Banned
1stStrike said:
How so? Riftstalker is pretty easy to use. Takes some time to get used to it and not suck as a tank, but put 50 or 51 points into the tree (depending on preference) with 8 in bard and the rest into bladedancer or ranger and you're now a tank. At 50 go for gear that has toughness on it and you can tank any T1 or T2 dungeon.

If you don't want to tank, put 51 into bard on a soul and voila, you now have a support class you can play as.
I think he means he doesn't understand how the soul system works, as in he doesn't understand how he can play an entirely new "class" even though he's a Ranger right now.

Account finally restored, unfortunately they rolled me back a lot further than expected (lost half a level), but I'm just happy to have my characters.

Einbroch said:
I think he means he doesn't understand how the soul system works, as in he doesn't understand how he can play an entirely new "class" even though he's a Ranger right now.

Yeah this, Keyboards battery's ran out so I had to cut my post to that haha!

Im only like Level 16 or something and wouldn't mind changing to melee or tank rather than ranged but I dont really know how or if you even can at this point? I bought a new Role whatever that is but thats about it.

Wallach

Johnlenham said:
Yeah this, Keyboards battery's ran out so I had to cut my post to that haha!

Im only like Level 16 or something and wouldn't mind changing to melee or tank rather than ranged but I dont really know how or if you even can at this point? I bought a new Role whatever that is but thats about it.

It's pretty simple, as they expect you to do this quite often.

You have two options:

A) You can go to your class trainer and use the "Reset my Souls" option. This refunds all of the points in your current soul trees. Once you do this, when you bring up your Soul tree menu, you can click on the square icon on any tree and switch it out for any other Soul you've already acquired. Your Soul choices will not be locked until you spend points in a Soul, and after you choose to save your choices.

B) You can purchase new "roles", which are essentially another set of saved Soul tree choices. You'll see these little square icons at the very bottom of your Soul tree menu - one for each role you've purchased. You start with only your first role, but if you bought your second you just click role #2 and then hit "Activate" at the bottom right. Bam, completely new set of Souls for you to configure. These will still lock like normal, so once you have that role set and points spent in a Soul, they're locked in and would have to be reset just like the above step.

You can have up to 4 saved roles to switch between any time you're out of combat. Remember to buy the new skill ranks for your new Soul choices and re-set your hotbars for each role.

I see, and how do you get other roles? like Riftstalker and so on?
also unless I missed it can you port back to a quest hub or anything like that as running across the massive map is a pain!

Wallach

Johnlenham said:
also unless I missed it can you port back to a quest hub or anything like that as running across the massive map is a pain!

You can start earning the other Soul trees as soon as you hit level 13. Since it sounds like you're higher than that, start looking around Meridian for guys that have quests; someone else probably knows specifically where the Rogue Soul quest guys are at. They will all be in Meridian and will just ask you to go seal a rift to gain a quest item, then click a quest item in your inventory and kill a little NPC soul that pops out of it. Very easy. Must be done for each Soul you don't have yet. The only Soul you won't acquire this way is your PvP Soul, which costs 2500 Favor (PvP currency) and is bought at the low-level PvP vendor in Meridian. All the above is the same if you're Guardian, just done in Sanctum instead.

As for getting around... no, it's a little unwieldy in this game. What you can do is bind yourself to any Porticulum and use Soul Recall to go back to that spot. That has a 1 hour cooldown though, and generally I found it most convenient to just be bound in Meridian.

1stStrike

Banned
Johnlenham said:

On the defiant side, at lvl 13 you can get quests in Meridian where you will need to go and close a rift and then fight a soul. Once you've done this you turn in the quest and that soul is then unlocked. All of these quests work the same way and once finished you'll have all of the other souls unlocked for your class.

At level 20 you can buy a mount as well. It's 2.5 platinum and increases movement speed by 60%. The horse can be bought at the stable outside the Kelari Refuge or you can get the llama thing from Meridian.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1stStrike said:
On the defiant side, at lvl 13 you can get quests in Meridian where you will need to go and close a rift and then fight a soul. Once you've done this you turn in the quest and that soul is then unlocked. All of these quests work the same way and once finished you'll have all of the other souls unlocked for your class.

At level 20 you can buy a mount as well. It's 2.5 platinum and increases movement speed by 60%. The horse can be bought at the stable outside the Kelari Refuge or you can get the llama thing from Meridian.

You don't need to be level 20 to use it as long as you can afford it before then. You'll probably have 2.5 platinum around level 16 if you sell everything you pick up and don't experiment with a ton of different souls and spend your money on training skills.

1stStrike

Banned
darkpower said:
Exactly the type of behavior I'm talking about as to why I'm turned off of Rift. It's people like this!

Based on your posts you wouldn't have liked the game or fit in anyway. Off to WoW with you. Shoo, shoo.

darkpower

Banned
1stStrike said:
Based on your posts you wouldn't have liked the game or fit in anyway. Off to WoW with you. Shoo, shoo.

And again, this is exactly the type of behavior that I was talking about.

Where in any of that did I ever say that I never thought I would like Rift? I was responding to someone saying that because I'm only 1 1/2 years into WoW, that I wasn't bored with it. I also said that the fanboy behavior didn't sit right with me and is turning me off of it, and that the commercials seem to be someone that is being kind of cocky (which is okay as long as you can back it up). You do realize that I, right now, am subscribed to both WoW and DC Universe, right? You could've seen that from my previous posts. And I also said I didn't want to commit to something then suddenly have the fan base drop like a rock. I was that way with DCUO, as well, but I ended up getting that.

It's the "it's gotta be Rift or WoW, and Rift is the only answer we'll accept" mentality of these fanboys that are turning me completely off. Whether or not it's giving me the wrong impression of how the main player base will be remains to be seen. I never criticized any of the game's mechanics other than it looks like they lifted a LOT of stuff from WoW (which, if you're going to copy someone, copy the biggest dog in the fight right now, so I can't say I blame them). I'm not going to validate anyone's beliefs if I don't honestly share them. Actually, this is the type of behavior that TB got when he did his Rift video. He never said he didn't like the game, yet people went all over him because he didn't treat it like the best thing since sliced bread.

Thing is, I never said I would or wouldn't like the game. Stop trying to put words into my mouth, and stop trying to validate my point about Rift fanboys turning people off of the game. What if I ended up playing BOTH Rift AND WoW, and liked and could balance BOTH? I would love to see the reactions to something like that being able to happen!

jersoc

i have never seen anyone do that in guild chat, or any other channels. ever. i'm not saying it doesn't happen, but you are greatly making a mountain of an ant hill.

i'll take the random community in rift vs the elitist fuck sticks that plague wow now any day.

1stStrike

Banned
darkpower said:
And again, this is exactly the type of behavior that I was talking about.

Where in any of that did I ever say that I never thought I would like Rift? I was responding to someone saying that because I'm only 1 1/2 years into WoW, that I wasn't bored with it. I also said that the fanboy behavior didn't sit right with me and is turning me off of it, and that the commercials seem to be someone that is being kind of cocky (which is okay as long as you can back it up). You do realize that I, right now, am subscribed to both WoW and DC Universe, right? You could've seen that from my previous posts. And I also said I didn't want to commit to something then suddenly have the fan base drop like a rock. I was that way with DCUO, as well, but I ended up getting that.

It's the "it's gotta be Rift or WoW, and Rift is the only answer we'll accept" mentality of these fanboys that are turning me completely off. Whether or not it's giving me the wrong impression of how the main player base will be remains to be seen. I never criticized any of the game's mechanics other than it looks like they lifted a LOT of stuff from WoW (which, if you're going to copy someone, copy the biggest dog in the fight right now, so I can't say I blame them). I'm not going to validate anyone's beliefs if I don't honestly share them. Actually, this is the type of behavior that TB got when he did his Rift video. He never said he didn't like the game, yet people went all over him because he didn't treat it like the best thing since sliced bread.

Thing is, I never said I would or wouldn't like the game. Stop trying to put words into my mouth, and stop trying to validate my point about Rift fanboys turning people off of the game. What if I ended up playing BOTH Rift AND WoW, and liked and could balance BOTH? I would love to see the reactions to something like that being able to happen!

We have quite a few people in the guild that play WoW too but they don't obsess over shit like you do and go on tirades (see entire quoted post). If you do play rift I urge you to choose a different server then belmont because there's no way I'm letting you into the guild.

SUPARSTARX

Level 13 in 5-6 hours. I can put in this kind of time on the weekends. Maybe hit 50 in 1-2 months?

And Rift's not bad at all. I like it. It's more complex and random (in fun ways) than WoW. This coming from a six year WoW vet with roots in hardcore gaming!

darkpower

Banned
1stStrike said:
We have quite a few people in the guild that play WoW too but they don't obsess over shit like you do and go on tirades (see entire quoted post). If you do play rift I urge you to choose a different server then belmont because there's no way I'm letting you into the guild.

A little anger, I see here.

Look, I didn't go on a tirade. I'm just angry that you took my entire post, bolded a few things, and just assumed that I would not like the game. That's being ignorant, in my opinion, since you just assumed what I thought about the game when I didn't give any opinion on the game. Again, all I said was that the commercials came off as kind of cocky, and the fanboys were turning me off. I never said that I would or wouldn't like the game, and I'm not quite sure where you ever got that from any of my posts. Of course, you got the "tirade" thing because of me calling you out on it, and now you're saying that my anger wasn't justified.

And I'm telling you that you giving me the example of what I'm talking about with how people are acting towards people who don't exactly treat the game the same way they do. I'm not saying that you share the same view of the game, but let me review what it is you have done towards me so far in this thread:

1. I made three points, with not one of those points saying that I thought the game sucked. You came in and said that I shouldn't be in the thread! You assumed that that's what I said. This thread is about Rift, right? And I came in and gave my opinion of it from what I've heard so far (which is what this thread is here for, right?).
2. I then answer your point by repeating the exact points I mentioned earlier, now with saying that the way you posted was EXACTLY the way the fanboys posted over on the YouTube video (which is what my third point was talking about). You then come back and just assume the exact same thing AGAIN, and tell me to "go back to WoW" as if that was a condemnation and you're trying to flame bait me. Again, where in any of my posts have I ever done what you've assumed I did! And again, you do the exact same thing I'm saying about some of the people that have commented about the game. You're proving me RIGHT!
3. The post I'm responding to right now. You're not saying that I'm on a "tirade" (which this isn't), and something about not inviting me to your guild.

Again, where in the hell are you getting any of this from? I never said the game sucked, I never said I would never get into it at some point, and the only time I ever got into any sort of "tirade" was when you, for the third time, went about saying "oh, you didn't validate my opinions on Rift, so you must be a WoW fanboy...get the fuck outta my thread", with saying "WoW player" as if that's some sort of insult. My posts have been thought out with things show why I think the way I think. All you've done, so far, is to make quick one line posts assuming I said things that I never came even CLOSE to saying.

And yet, you have done nothing to say that I'm wrong in how to perceive the fan base of the game. You have instead done everything imaginable to solidify MY point that every single person that doesn't give Rift anything less than a 10/10 or whatever gets shitted on constantly by fanboys that want to make everything into an us vs. them issue. Hell, I haven't even made any WoW distinctions other than the clone thing and that it's the most popular MMO right now, yet you're treating me as some evil person because I didn't validate every single thing you've thought about the game. And now you're saying "OMG, I'm not letting you into MY exclusive club" because of it.

And I'm sorry if it seems like I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but the more you go on whatever this is with me, the more this turns into exactly what I saw TB's vid turn into: a Rift vs. WoW bitchfest with no one even reading or listening to anything that was ever said.

darkpower

Banned
1stStrike said:
Yep, not wasting my time reading that.

Of course you won't, because you don't want to answer the questions because you know you're acting like an absolute douchebag to me for no reason. You've put words into my mouth, treat Rift like some exclusive club that only fanboys can ever be allowed to play, and when I said ANYTHING that could be perceived as negative about the game, you go and shit on me as if I killed your fucking dog or something. All while being the one person that is validating EVERY SINGLE THING I'VE SAID! You're being the troll here, and no one else that has answered my queries has done what you've done. They've been civilized. You've been the trolling fanboy here. Congrats on being the only one that has been doing this here.

And to think that I come here from N4G to get AWAY from this sort of thing!

I just hit 35 and stuns/cc/disables are starting to appear way too frequently in PvP. Another MMO falls for this crap.

When will MMO designers learn? Do NOT take away control of the player. I have fights now where I cannot click any buttons for 10+ seconds.

While I like the PvE and the class system in Rift, the PvP part is starting to fall appart 30+. I guess I won't resub.... I was looking for a PvP MMO.

Ningo

Wish I had more time to play this, but unfortunately I have to quit due to uni and work. Not to mention my backlog reaches back to starcraft 2.
Thanks for the runs of IT Lotus Cross guildies! I may come back in a month during mid semester break, but at the moment it seems unlikely.
All the best, Balphazar/Sten/Ningo.

(PS 1stsrtike I trust you received what little plat and gold I had, and Pipster what I had on another non-guild toon when I couldn't spell 1stsrtike's toon's name!)

Sten in all his white-dredded glory
nvzczr.jpg

Kiting first guardian quest givers on the other side of the portal.
25sy9lx.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
darkpower said:
Of course you won't, because you don't want to answer the questions because you know you're acting like an absolute douchebag to me for no reason. You've put words into my mouth, treat Rift like some exclusive club that only fanboys can ever be allowed to play, and when I said ANYTHING that could be perceived as negative about the game, you go and shit on me as if I killed your fucking dog or something. All while being the one person that is validating EVERY SINGLE THING I'VE SAID! You're being the troll here, and no one else that has answered my queries has done what you've done. They've been civilized. You've been the trolling fanboy here. Congrats on being the only one that has been doing this here.

And to think that I come here from N4G to get AWAY from this sort of thing!

lol

Ningo said:
Wish I had more time to play this, but unfortunately I have to quit due to uni and work. Not to mention my backlog reaches back to starcraft 2.
Thanks for the runs of IT Lotus Cross guildies! I may come back in a month during mid semester break, but at the moment it seems unlikely.
All the best, Balphazar/Sten/Ningo.

(PS 1stsrtike I trust you received what little plat and gold I had, and Pipster what I had on another non-guild toon when I couldn't spell 1stsrtike's toon's name!)
]

Yep, I got em. I'll figure out what to buy for the other guildies eventually with the money you sent. If you ever decide to resub down the road let me know.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
darkpower said:
A little anger, I see here.

Look, I didn't go on a tirade. I'm just angry that you took my entire post, bolded a few things, and just assumed that I would not like the game. That's being ignorant, in my opinion, since you just assumed what I thought about the game when I didn't give any opinion on the game. Again, all I said was that the commercials came off as kind of cocky, and the fanboys were turning me off. I never said that I would or wouldn't like the game, and I'm not quite sure where you ever got that from any of my posts. Of course, you got the "tirade" thing because of me calling you out on it, and now you're saying that my anger wasn't justified.

And I'm telling you that you giving me the example of what I'm talking about with how people are acting towards people who don't exactly treat the game the same way they do. I'm not saying that you share the same view of the game, but let me review what it is you have done towards me so far in this thread:

1. I made three points, with not one of those points saying that I thought the game sucked. You came in and said that I shouldn't be in the thread! You assumed that that's what I said. This thread is about Rift, right? And I came in and gave my opinion of it from what I've heard so far (which is what this thread is here for, right?).
2. I then answer your point by repeating the exact points I mentioned earlier, now with saying that the way you posted was EXACTLY the way the fanboys posted over on the YouTube video (which is what my third point was talking about). You then come back and just assume the exact same thing AGAIN, and tell me to "go back to WoW" as if that was a condemnation and you're trying to flame bait me. Again, where in any of my posts have I ever done what you've assumed I did! And again, you do the exact same thing I'm saying about some of the people that have commented about the game. You're proving me RIGHT!
3. The post I'm responding to right now. You're not saying that I'm on a "tirade" (which this isn't), and something about not inviting me to your guild.

Again, where in the hell are you getting any of this from? I never said the game sucked, I never said I would never get into it at some point, and the only time I ever got into any sort of "tirade" was when you, for the third time, went about saying "oh, you didn't validate my opinions on Rift, so you must be a WoW fanboy...get the fuck outta my thread", with saying "WoW player" as if that's some sort of insult. My posts have been thought out with things show why I think the way I think. All you've done, so far, is to make quick one line posts assuming I said things that I never came even CLOSE to saying.

And yet, you have done nothing to say that I'm wrong in how to perceive the fan base of the game. You have instead done everything imaginable to solidify MY point that every single person that doesn't give Rift anything less than a 10/10 or whatever gets shitted on constantly by fanboys that want to make everything into an us vs. them issue. Hell, I haven't even made any WoW distinctions other than the clone thing and that it's the most popular MMO right now, yet you're treating me as some evil person because I didn't validate every single thing you've thought about the game. And now you're saying "OMG, I'm not letting you into MY exclusive club" because of it.

And I'm sorry if it seems like I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but the more you go on whatever this is with me, the more this turns into exactly what I saw TB's vid turn into: a Rift vs. WoW bitchfest with no one even reading or listening to anything that was ever said.

I think you need to read your first post in this thread again:

darkpower said:
Hmm...so I have thought about what I should play. Right now, I'm okay with WoW and though I haven't touched DC Universe since I bought it a month ago, I wouldn't mind hopping into that again at some point.

Thing is, with Rift, it looks pretty and all (saw TotalBiscuit's video of it, and the graphics seem to be eye-candy), but I have a few problems with it:

1. Trion seems to be very cocky in their commercials. I don't know if it's just me, but I'm fine with them competing with Blizzard as long as they can back it up. I don't know if they can because, in their commercials, I see no actual gameplay. Furthermore, there's no trial of the game (I would love to try it out first to see if I would like it enough to spend my money on). Trion is hoping you take their word for it and delve into the fee. Right now, they haven't proved anything to me.
2. It seems to just be a carbon copy of WoW, and the reason why some people are fatigued about WoW is because they don't want to play another hotkey MMO. DC Universe is good for it's combat where it seems like you have more control over your character's actions as they happen. There's more interactivity there. Rift seems to just be lifting everything and putting a different story onto it and calling it their own. I'm happy with WoW right now (I've played Final Fantasy XI for five years, too, before finally moving to WoW).
3. Even if I was interested, the fanboy war that has broke out over a game that wasn't even out when it began turns me off. Okay, so you can say a game has more going for it than another, but to insult, degrade, and piss on another person's character just because they weren't as into Rift as you wanted them to be? I mentioned TB's vid on Rift ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FZVyS0BTus ). You should've seen the comments he got. If THAT'S the type of community that Rift is going to have, then I'm less inclined to want to be a part of it. Of course, you have idiots in WoW, too, but so many seem to be WAY too defensive about Rift for me to take it seriously.

It looks to me like you came in here to start shit and get a reaction out of people.

darkpower

Banned
Zefah said:
It looks to me like you came in here to start shit and get a reaction out of people.

I didn't, and I'm not sure where you got that from. I was concerned about all the arguments of Rift vs. WoW going on on the net right now getting as nasty as it was, and that I didn't want to get involved in a game if it wasn't going to stay around (I'm not saying Rift won't or can't stay around). It wasn't me starting shit (I wasn't trying to, at least). But I'm seeing a problem develop that a few people can't stand others saying that Rift is anything but perfect, and turn everything into a Rift vs. WoW thing (which is not what I was doing).

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to validate anyone. I've NEVER done that for anyone, Rift, WoW, or anything else.

I am on Reclaimer, PvP server.

Enjoying the game, and whats even better is that I actually don't feel like I have to play everyday and every time to stay caught up with other people like I felt with WoW.

For a new game I am surprised how good and fleshed out the Lore is, a lot of the zones have awesome quest lines. Really loved Moonshade, liking Iron Pike too. Marshal Kain!!

Kalnos said:
Is there any world PvP in this game?

I haven't really enjoyed PvP in an MMO since vanilla WoW.

On a PvP server, yes. You can go ganking lower levels, or I have seen it break out when out and about rifting.

2 nights back, in Moonshade highlands during an invasion event it was Guardians vs Defiants vs Big Bad Invasion Boss. Fun. Got our asses kicked (Guardians).

Yesterday in Droughtlands, another invasion event, Guardians and Defiants first killed boss and then we slaughtered the Defiants.

Was also with my guild, 7 of us doing expert rifts (I was level 42 so just along for the ride), and we had a couple of battles with Defiants.

You always run into other faction as you go higher in level, some people leave each other alone, other's will wait till you are down to 50% health killing a mob and then kill you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
darkpower said:
I didn't, and I'm not sure where you got that from. I was concerned about all the arguments of Rift vs. WoW going on on the net right now getting as nasty as it was, and that I didn't want to get involved in a game if it wasn't going to stay around (I'm not saying Rift won't or can't stay around). It wasn't me starting shit (I wasn't trying to, at least). But I'm seeing a problem develop that a few people can't stand others saying that Rift is anything but perfect, and turn everything into a Rift vs. WoW thing (which is not what I was doing).

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to validate anyone. I've NEVER done that for anyone, Rift, WoW, or anything else.

Read your post. You called Trion cocky, you called Rift a carbon copy of WoW, and generalized Rift's fanbase as a bunch of blind fanboys. Who in this thread was crying that Rift is perfect and shouting at anyone who even mentions WoW? You're making shit up and trying to apply the retarded posts you see on MMORPG general forums to the people in this thread.

If you didn't come in here and start talking shit, no one would have had a problem. How about you go into the WoW thread on the Community Forum and say, "Hey guys, so the people in Trade chat on WoW are a bunch of asshats, groups through the RDF are full of retards, and the people on the official forums can't seem to form a coherent thought. What's up with your game, dudes?!!?"

darkpower

Banned
Zefah said:
Read your post. You called Trion cocky, you called Rift a carbon copy of WoW, and generalized Rift's fanbase as a bunch of blind fanboys. Who in this thread was crying that Rift is perfect and shouting at anyone who even mentions WoW? You're making shit up and trying to apply the retarded posts you see on MMORPG general forums to the people in this thread.

I thought the COMMERCIAL came off as cocky. I also said that it would be fine if they showed gameplay footage in it, but they didn't. I thought that was a mistake on their behalf. If it was me, I would've waited until I had a firm fanbase before I made that claim. That is all.

Secondly, I'm not the only one that is saying that Rift is copying off of WoW. However, that being said, not many are treating that to be anything bad per se, as long as you bring your own things to the table. The game looks VERY pretty, and again, if you're going to copy anyone, copy the one that has such a huge following. Don't fix what isn't broken. Blizzard did a LOT of things correct, so no one can blame someone if they take what Blizzard did and did their own thing with it.

And third, I never said that ALL of Rift's fanbase are fanboys. I'm saying that the people that responded to things like the video have given me a bad impression of the Rift fanbase. Many here have tried to reassure me that they do not represent the entire fanbase, which is good.

If you didn't come in here and start talking shit, no one would have had a problem.

Again, that wasn't me starting shit. You're claiming that no one here is claiming that Rift is perfect, yet, when I say what my concerns are about the MMO, it's called "starting shit". That, to me, is saying "yeah, we know it isn't perfect, but don't tell us it isn't". The concerns I expressed are those that some people have had (the commercial being a bit too combative, the game's likeliness to WoW, and the fanboy behavior), which I think are valid points to bring up and talk about. How is that starting anything other than a conversation? Unless you consider criticizing things you like as an insult (which the only thing I could see as an insult was the fanboy issue, which wasn't what 1st even focused on).

How about you go into the WoW thread on the Community Forum and say, "Hey guys, so the people in Trade chat on WoW are a bunch of asshats, groups through the RDF are full of retards, and the people on the official forums can't seem to form a coherent thought. What's up with your game, dudes?!!?"

Actually, I don't listen to half of the things that go on in Trade. I don't know about the asshat thing because I might not be on a server where that sort of thing happens. I need some help knowing what RDF means, so I can't give you an answer one way or another yet, and I don't go onto the official forums. I agree with you there (I've usually go to MMO Champion to talk about MMO specifics, and places like MMO-C, Tankspot, WoWHead and its affiliates, and Cynical Brit are much better). The O-Forums are good to get info when a Blue posts information, though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I do wish that they could have advertised the game without making reference to the competition. It just fuel for the fire, it's basically encouraging fans to battle over the games on online forums.

I've enjoyed the game a lot, though. It's very deep and the Rifts are a cool idea. It makes the gameworld feel dynamic and it's fun to join in with a big group in a busy area with a Major Rift. I haven't interacted with many players but the chat channels are almost always civil and you can always block anyone who's out of order. If WoW still feels fresh for you, you might as well stick with that until you're ready for something new or if there is a free trial of Rift down the road. It's worth a look, though.

1stStrike

Banned
If you guys just ignore darkpower he'll eventually go troll another thread. So, I urge you not to even bother responding to him from here on out as he's continually attempted to justify his trolling by writing longer and longer posts (more words = post justified apparently).

darkpower

Banned
Snuggler said:
I do wish that they could have advertised the game without making reference to the competition. It just fuel for the first for this kind of deal.

I've enjoyed the game a lot, though. It's very deep and the Rifts are a cool idea. It makes the gameworld feel dynamic and it's fun to join in with a big group in a busy area with a Major Rift. I haven't interacted with many players but the chat channels are almost always civil and you can always block anyone who's out of order. If WoW still feels fresh for you, you might as well stick with that until you're ready for something new or if there is a free trial of Rift down the road. It's worth a look, though.

Well, thing is, I've been able to juggle before. I've tried out DCUO, and though I enjoyed the combat system there, the questing seems like they took the BAD stuff that WoW did (have the amount of kills or objects you need be so high that they lose their gimmicks while sending you all over the place to get them). If they localized the quests more (and if they would ever fix that chat system...my GOD), then they would have a game THERE!

It does seem that the lot that Rift lifted is what Blizz did correct. The only thing that I really don't like is Trion not allowing the add-on thing. I think that's a HUGE mistake, because that's part of what has made WoW, in my opinion, and I'm not sure why Trion didn't make that available. That would be the major complaint that I would have. Though I read that it might be just temporary, and that they might be looking into it. But again, not sure why they didn't make things more open in that regard (probably because they don't want the hackers and gold sellers getting easy access early on).

One thing I think would help them (and I don't know if they do this or not) is offer guest passes, so those that buy the game could give those out to others to try the game, and offer them a window to where they could try it and then buy an unlock for the full game (like a demo). I think that would really help them build more of a following.

1stStrike said:
If you guys just ignore darkpower he'll eventually go troll another thread. So, I urge you not to even bother responding to him from here on out as he's continually attempted to justify his trolling by writing longer and longer posts (more words = post justified apparently).

You're being the troll here. Name ONE thing you've even TRIED to answer with anything other than an insult towards me?

Wallach

You likely won't see a free trial for a while yet. No major MMO has free trials right around retail release.

Edit - Well, rarely. DCUO did have a buddy key system at launch but it was very limited. Most MMOs don't do anything of the sort.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
darkpower said:
It does seem that the lot that Rift lifted is what Blizz did correct. The only thing that I really don't like is Trion not allowing the add-on thing. I think that's a HUGE mistake, because that's part of what has made WoW, in my opinion, and I'm not sure why Trion didn't make that available. That would be the major complaint that I would have. Though I read that it might be just temporary, and that they might be looking into it. But again, not sure why they didn't make things more open in that regard (probably because they don't want the hackers and gold sellers getting easy access early on).

There are arguments both ways for addons.

Personally, I don't like them, especially how they work in WoW. The amount of addons you need to raid in WoW at any given time is quite insane. Then you have the stuff that makes things so easy, that anyone who doesn't want to use addons is at a disadvantage. I don't like that.

I'm all for visual UI mods, but I don't like stuff that lets the players add in more functionality. I prefer it when everyone is on an even playing field.

darkpower said:
One thing I think would help them (and I don't know if they do this or not) is offer guest passes, so those that buy the game could give those out to others to try the game, and offer them a window to where they could try it and then buy an unlock for the full game (like a demo). I think that would really help them build more of a following.

They will have a free trial/guest pass thing eventually, but business-wise, it's just not a good idea to do that in the first month when you have a lot of hype that lets you get the majority of your box sales.

Man I really could do with a new pc to appreciate this abit better, playing on the second lowest setting and it looks abit shite but gameplay and so on is alot of fun.

darkpower

Banned
Zefah said:
There are arguments both ways for addons.

Personally, I don't like them, especially how they work in WoW. The amount of addons you need to raid in WoW at any given time is quite insane. Then you have the stuff that makes things so easy, that anyone who doesn't want to use addons is at a disadvantage. I don't like that.

I'm all for visual UI mods, but I don't like stuff that lets the players add in more functionality. I prefer it when everyone is on an even playing field.

I would understand your point if the add ons were those that you didn't have easy access to. However, the add-ons that WoW has available for it are those that everyone has easy access to. Blizzard highlights their favorites, and Curse.com is highly popular in that regard. Player perception is the only thing that might keep someone from using them. Like, if I use a gathering add on, but you do not, then that was your choice. It would not be a level playing field if I had something that I made myself and would never let anyone else use. However, if I use something that is easily available for everyone, then it's clearly your fault if you don't use them then say that I would have an advantage because you chose not to use something that I have no problem using. And it's not automating my toon in any sort of way (which WOULD be an unfair advantage and essentially botting, which is cheating).

They will have a free trial/guest pass thing eventually, but business-wise, it's just not a good idea to do that in the first month when you have a lot of hype that lets you get the majority of your box sales.

I could see your point if this were a game that wasn't as hyped up as this one was. However, Rift was hyped (no denying that: this game has a LOT of hype to live up to), and Trion seems to be extremely confident. Therefore, it would help them out to get as many people exposed to the game as possible.

I'll give you a WoW example as to how sacrifices could help things. When patch 4.0.3 came out, the changes it brought came out for everyone, regardless of whether or not you got the Cata expansion or not. Now, many would be asking why Blizz would do that for those that only got Vanilla and never got even TBC! The reason is the other issue Blizz was trying to address: many newer players to WoW quit before level 10 because of the inane questing in the old world. They wanted players to stay past that point, and if that meant making a bit of a sacrifice to accomplish that goal, then so be it. So the changed world was true for everyone.

Trion could do the same thing here. "We want you to like this game, and we want you to tell everyone you know about this game, and we're willing to let them try it out first to see what all the fuss is about." As much of hype as it has gotten, I think it would be a special case, but that's just my opinion.

Xiaoki

darkpower said:
Again, that wasn't me starting shit. You're claiming that no one here is claiming that Rift is perfect, yet, when I say what my concerns are about the MMO, it's called "starting shit". That, to me, is saying "yeah, we know it isn't perfect, but don't tell us it isn't". The concerns I expressed are those that some people have had (the commercial being a bit too combative, the game's likeliness to WoW, and the fanboy behavior), which I think are valid points to bring up and talk about. How is that starting anything other than a conversation? Unless you consider criticizing things you like as an insult (which the only thing I could see as an insult was the fanboy issue, which wasn't what 1st even focused on).
Rift is still in its first month and people are still in the "honeymoon" period where fan boyism is at its height. They dont want to hear about things about "concerns" or "problems" they only want to discuss how awesome it is.

Couple years ago I made the mistake of posting in a first week Warhammer Online topic and I said the game had problems and was called a retarded troll.

To avoid this hold the concerns and problems until after the first month and dont bother arguing with the guy that made the official topic.

Top Bottom