• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

CcrooK said:
Which mount? Cause I find the 150p mount not really worth it.

Honestly, any of them. I just logged off to walk my dogs and I have 1 plat and like 8-9 gold. Just getting the basic mount is gonna take forever

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow, this thread threw up on itself.

1) You can not blame people for wanting a free trial of sorts at any point in the title's life. Just because there hasn't been a trial for a new MMO in the past, doesn't mean there shouldn't be in the future. A week long, limited trial going up with launch (if the MMO is good) would be an interesting idea and could prove very fruitful...

2) That being said, I'm moving on from Rift. I was hacked, the first time I've been hacked in a MMO ever, and they still did not restore what was stolen. I will not stand for such poor customer service. That's not the only reason (Looking st their next patch adjustments, they seem to want to balance around PvP, the Soul system begins to shrink by the time you hit cap, and Trion is already in the habit of double speak, crafting appears to be pointless compared to any drops or quests) but it is the significant reason.

Lotus Cross is awesome and if you enjoy the game and enjoy good company, you'll be happy. =D

If you continue to do the quests/rift you'll end up with the cash. I think I paid for my first mount at about level 17. Now that I'm 37 I've bought mounts for three alts and I'm still sitting at about 15p. I'm also lazy and vendor my crap instead of using the AH.

Crafting has been helpful if you wear the gear at the level it becomes available. Usually it fills in gaps or replaces the occasional slot that you just haven't had upgraded in a while. The occasional blue recipe usually makes something really worthwhile (at least for the level). Runeforging has always been useful to us.

I was also hacked and it took about a week to finally get my stuff restored. The rolled me back a little further than I'd like, but I've since recovered.

Cheech

The easiest way to get hacked is to use the same PW on Rift that you do on message boards/forums/etc. Not everybody takes care and secures their shit. I use a unique PW for my MMOs/Steam/etc.

Also, FFS, run either Malwarebytes or Norton Internet Security. I've had billions of intrusion attempts from ads on sites like wowwiki.

ACE 1991

It seems like this may finally be an MMO I have some real interest in given all of the highly positive buzz floating around the net. However, should my computer be able to run this game (fairly) well? How optimized is the engine? Here is what I'm rockin':

ATI 5650 1gb
4gb DDR3
Core i7 720qm
Windows 7 64 bit

Cheech

nataku said:
Because getting hacked couldn't possibly have been from that massive security hole Trion had, right?

Sure, but so what? That's not really under the user's control. I was just mentioning ways it happens, that we do have personal responsibility for.

Cheech

ACE 1991 said:
It seems like this may finally be an MMO I have some real interest in given all of the highly positive buzz floating around the net. However, should my computer be able to run this game (fairly) well? How optimized is the engine? Here is what I'm rockin':

ATI 5650 1gb
4gb DDR3
Core i7 720qm
Windows 7 64 bit

I think you are looking at medium settings vsync'ed with those specs. It's not going to be playable in its full glory at Ultra settings, but owning a gaming laptop, you should be used to that by now. :)

ACE 1991

Cheech said:
I think you are looking at medium settings vsync'ed with those specs. It's not going to be playable in its full glory at Ultra settings, but owning a gaming laptop, you should be used to that by now. :)

Alright, great. As long as it's smooth and at least decent looking, I'm fine with it. Now, to decide whether or not I want to drop $50...

Concept17

ACE 1991 said:

ATI 5650 1gb
4gb DDR3
Core i7 720qm
Windows 7 64 bit

I have lower specs and I run the game on high settings in the 40s. You'll be fine.

ACE 1991 said:

ATI 5650 1gb
4gb DDR3
Core i7 720qm
Windows 7 64 bit

I'm running the same machine and it works fine, had to drop a few features but otherwise still looks great. During some of the major invasions with 20+ players and 30+ monsters with full spell effects you'll chug, but it's playable.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
1) You can not blame people for wanting a free trial of sorts at any point in the title's life. Just because there hasn't been a trial for a new MMO in the past, doesn't mean there shouldn't be in the future. A week long, limited trial going up with launch (if the MMO is good) would be an interesting idea and could prove very fruitful...D

Not even considering the business side of things, it's still a terrible idea and always will be as long as server capacities are as low as they are.

If, at launch, with just people that were willing to spend $40 - $60 on the box, the servers were clogged to the point that people had to wait in multi-hour long queues and the developer had to rapidly open up more servers to accommodate everyone, what do you think would happen if they suddenly allowed anyone in the world to play the game for free?

Just curious if it's the same as with Black Garden, but do the Defiants get destroyed in almost every BG in the higher lvl ones too, or do we start to get better??

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
WDFHaldimath44 said:
Just curious if it's the same as with Black Garden, but do the Defiants get destroyed in almost every BG in the higher lvl ones too, or do we start to get better??

Nope! Don't bother switching to the Guardians or rolling on a different server, either! The faction you play will always suck no matter what faction, server or MMORPG you play.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Zefah said:
Nope! Don't bother switching to the Guardians or rolling on a different server, either! The faction you play will always suck no matter what faction, server or MMORPG you play.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Lol, it wasn't my intention, but I was hoping there would be good things for the future, because we are absolutely awful in Black Garden. I have played maybe 15 games and won twice.

Good thing I don't play for PVP... :)

1stStrike

Banned
Ah, I got my first piece of tier 2 armor tonight (the boots). Felt good. I also, finally, after running IT forever, got the Bonechipped Pants off the Bonelord (epic rogue tanking pants). They're a bit of an upgrade over the tier 1 pants, so overall a good night.

It would be marvelous, however, if one of these bosses in one of these dungeons would drop a epic dagger so I can get rid of the blue one I have. No such luck as of yet ;_;

Oh and I'm going to be rebuilding the guild website later this week. Got a lot of work to do on it and I'm working the next two days so I'll just do it on Thursday which is my next day off. It sucks that all the posts were lost. I've taken steps to rectify this in the future, and have offsite backups, but it won't replace all the info that was previously on there =\

SUPARSTARX

I bought this game for $40 from gamestop, no gift cards or anything. I didn't know it was $50 retail lol.

Hit level 18 through Iron Tomb. No wipes. My heals are superb!

1stStrike

Banned
Ah, I found the info everyone's been searching for. The post 1.1 plaque of achievement costs for T1/T2 gear. See as follows:

1.1 Plaque of Achievement Costs:

Minor Catalyst: 5(5)

Belligerent's Claymore (2h Sword): 20
Missionary's Hammer: 20
Blackleg's Blade: 20

T1 Helm: 40(30)
T1 Shoulders: 40(30)
T1 Chest: 50(40)
T1 Gloves: 30(20)
T1 Belt: 20(20)
T1 Legs: 50(40)
T1 Boots: 30(20)

T2 Helm: 160(150)
T2 Shoulders: 160(150)
T2 Chest: 200(200)
T2 Gloves: 120(100)
T2 Belt: 100(100)
T2 Legs: 200(200)
T2 Boots: 120(100)

Overall, not really all that bad. The cost is ( ) is from before 1.1.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Does Trion troll the boards? I got an email saying they have finally given me back my platinum. lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BrettWeir said:
Any trusted sites for selling an account?

PlayerAuctions? But in a game that only takes around 100 hours to reach max level, why would anyone even want to take a huge risk by buying an account only to likely have it stolen back at a later date?

wfries

Neo Member
ROFL, the plaque (nerf) is actually a buff unless you run all the heroic dungeons in a day or choose to not do the daily.

1stStrike

Banned
More info on plaques and stuff after 1.1:

Looks like we need to clear up a few points Plaques via dungeons in 1.1

T1 Dungeon Bosses will still drop 1 Plaque per boss kill
T1 Zone quests will no longer reward Plaques
T2 Dungeon Bosses will still drop 2 Plaques per boss kill
T2 Zone quests will no longer reward Plaques

Plaques via Quests in 1.1

Guardian T1 & T2 daily dungeon quests can be obtained from Tam Daggerborn in Sanctum
Defiant T1 & T2 daily dungeon quests can be obtained from the Faceless Man in Meridian
T1 Daily quests reward 10 plaques each
T2 Daily quests reward 20 plaques each

Additional Dungeon Drops (Very soon after 1.1) New dungeon & raid drops will be arriving shortly after 1.1 (probably within a week or so). We've added a couple of hundred drops between T1, T2 and Raids and as such it's taking a bit of time to get those items translated for other regions and through QA. As soon as that is complete we'll be pushing those changes live Progression through our end game content is a pretty high priority for us right now and we're commited to improving the experience for everyone. Moving forward we'll continue to watch how people are doing with the 1.1 changes as well as improving and adding more itemization to other areas of the game including Expert Rifts, Rift Store, Endgame crafting, etc Thanks -Gersh

Brashnir

Str0ngStyle said:
Alrighty. I am having a bitch of a time making money in this game for a mount. I have Mining, Weapon Forging and the Enchanting variant. I have a bunch of crap that I cant sell and make anything that can sell. Any help that the braintrust could give me would be greatly appreciated

I had no trouble raising enough cash for my level 40 mount just selling all the junk I picked up to vendors. What level are you?

The only things I really auctioned off were duplicate artifacts. I probably made a couple plat doing that, but money is pretty easy to raise.

Kintaro said:
crafting appears to be pointless compared to any drops or quests
You must be playing a different game than me :) When I craft armor pieces, they are better than most quest items and drops. Unless maybe you aren't using the armor when you first can, after a couple levels better stuff does start popping up...of course, soon after that we reach another point where we can use crafted armor again.

1stStrike

Banned
jersoc said:
sweet, with the daily dungeon quests maybe i can find groups easily at 2am now.

I wish I didn't find the group I was just in. We probably should've just done KB. PUG'ing at 4 am (my time) is pretty shitty.

Cheech

spandexmonkey said:
Looks like they just added authenticators. Downloaded mine on Android and connected it to my account.

Yeah, and it is Android-only right now. No plans for hardware authenticators, though an iOS version is in process.

Also, for AMD/ATi card users, Catalyst 11.3 is out, with reportedly massive FPS bumps in this game.

Cheech said:
Yeah, and it is Android-only right now. No plans for hardware authenticators, though an iOS version is in process.

Also, for AMD/ATi card users, Catalyst 11.3 is out, with reportedly massive FPS bumps in this game.

Awesome news to both. Too bad I can't test out the new drivers since there is a 4 hour downtime right now for patch 1.1. :(

ACE 1991

Still kind of on the fence about this one. Do you guys think it will be able to maintain its player base, or will a large chunk of players leave after their free 30 days are up?

1stStrike

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Still kind of on the fence about this one. Do you guys think it will be able to maintain its player base, or will a large chunk of players leave after their free 30 days are up?

Well, we're about to find out. I can tell you that we have some people MIA in our guild as is to be expected (still active with 15 - 25 people on at peek times though).

I honestly think this game is going to last. It's got a lot of end-game content already and as of today we now have two end-game raids - most people haven't even gotten to the first one yet!

I'm really excited about the future of Rift. We've got a pretty tight community (for the most part, exceptions do apply) on Belmont.

Cheech said:

Very nice, cant wait to test that, in the meantime check out my RE5 mage Jillvalentine

5574602662_07586c6969_b_d.jpg

2011-03-29_123424 by BionicSalt

gyrspike

Neo Member
I just started playing a few days and I am having a pretty good time with my Justicar/Shaman build. I'd like to get into the GAF guild if possible, what do I need to go?

BrettWeir

Bah, I said screw it and subbed for 6. Nothing else to play til TOR.

As for 11.3, are they including the same goodness 11.4 preview drivers have?

1stStrike

Banned
gyrspike said:
I just started playing a few days and I am having a pretty good time with my Justicar/Shaman build. I'd like to get into the GAF guild if possible, what do I need to go?

Send a message to Blackheim or Elvirnith in-game.

1stStrike

Banned
BrettWeir said:
Any leaked info about new drops from this new world event?

All we know so far is that there's going to be two horses (one usable by all levels and one only by level 50's) and an ability that lets you turn yourself into an undead. There will also be event merchants who will be selling goodies that you can only obtain by participating in the event and then purchasing them from these vendors. Once these vendors are gone the items are also gone forever.

BrettWeir

Interesting. For the mounts, do you know if you are forced to do the instance to obtain it? Like plaque accumulation for gear?

I mainly just want some daggers/bow. At the moment, mine are trash (under 20 dps), and have less than a plat......

Reason I ask about instance, is I have yet to do a single one, as the guild I'm in is slow as hell leveling. Getting a pug is like pulling teeth.

Cheech

BrettWeir said:
Bah, I said screw it and subbed for 6. Nothing else to play til TOR.

As for 11.3, are they including the same goodness 11.4 preview drivers have?

Below are the issues fixed. If the "goodness" you speak of is the APP OpenCL runtime support, then yes, the "goodness" is contained therein. :)

I have no idea, honestly. I included the full features list below for the fun of it.

Highlights of the AMD Catalyst 11.3 Windows release includes:

New Features:

Seamless GPU Compute support

The AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) OpenCL runtime is now enabled by default within AMD Catalyst. Applications that leverage OpenCL for GPU based compute tasks will automatically benefit from the significant performance boost that this provides.

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 11.3 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

3D BluRay playback no longer displays random frame loss.
The 8x Anti-Aliasing is now correctly listed in some OpenGL applications.
System no longer shows laggy performance when playing 720P WMV video files.
Tearing is no longer randomly observed when playing Bioshock with Vsync and MLAA enabled.

Resolved Issues for the Windows Vista Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 11.3 software suite for Windows Vista. These include:

3DMark 2011 no longer hangs on a quad crossfire HD6990 system.
World of Warcraft no longer fails to respond when alt-tabbing out and into the game when running on the AMD HD6990.
Mpeg2 Video playback now correctly uses hardware acceleration when played with Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center.
Youtube HD Flash video now renders correctly.
Enabling Anti-Aliasing no longer causes figure to have a bright outline in Medal Of Honor Single Player mode.

Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System

Need for Speed Shift no longer randomly crashes during gameplay.

J-Rzez

The Youtube feature is pretty neat. Almost level 40 now, got side tracked with another game and work, but now I'm set to get to end game.

Anyone have full details on this world event to gloss over? I can't find anything other than summarizations. If I missed it in this thread, I'm sorry.

I really have to give Trion credit though, they're putting a lot of effort forward, and they actually seem to enjoy their own game lol.

Top Bottom