• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
Xiaoki said:
Rift is still in its first month and people are still in the "honeymoon" period where fan boyism is at its height. They dont want to hear about things about "concerns" or "problems" they only want to discuss how awesome it is.

Couple years ago I made the mistake of posting in a first week Warhammer Online topic and I said the game had problems and was called a retarded troll.

To avoid this hold the concerns and problems until after the first month and dont bother arguing with the guy that made the official topic.

Oh boy. Did you read his first post in this thread? And then any of his other posts where he continued to spew a bunch of garbage attempting to justify his posts as not trolling?

If he had come in here with a worthwhile argument (and his current topic of interest appears to be "wah I can't play for free" which isn't any better) I would've been fine. I'm not a "fanboy" nor do I jump down peoples throats for mentioning other games, even amongst those in my guild.

However, retards like dark are not even worth my time and all they serve to do is pollute this thread with garbage. He's at exactly the same level as the garbage in most MMO general forums and would fit in well there.

Sophia

Zefah said:
There are arguments both ways for addons.

Personally, I don't like them, especially how they work in WoW. The amount of addons you need to raid in WoW at any given time is quite insane. Then you have the stuff that makes things so easy, that anyone who doesn't want to use addons is at a disadvantage. I don't like that.

I'm all for visual UI mods, but I don't like stuff that lets the players add in more functionality. I prefer it when everyone is on an even playing field.

You only need DeadlyBossMods for raiding. Any other mods are just optional quality of life adjustments. Some guilds require Omen too.

The only reason these mods are even required is because Blizzard refuses to properly add them to the game.

Zefah said:
They will have a free trial/guest pass thing eventually, but business-wise, it's just not a good idea to do that in the first month when you have a lot of hype that lets you get the majority of your box sales.

A free trial is the only thing that would get a box sale from me. This game could be hyped up as the next Buddha, but I'm still not buying til I get a free trial and see what my $50 + $15 a month goes for. I've been burned too many times by MMOs I just don't play (City of Heroes), or have terrible technical issues (Age of Conan) to simply dive into an MMO without a trial.

Maffis

1stStrike said:
Oh boy. Did you read his first post in this thread? And then any of his other posts where he continued to spew a bunch of garbage attempting to justify his posts as not trolling?

If he had come in here with a worthwhile argument (and his current topic of interest appears to be "wah I can't play for free" which isn't any better) I would've been fine. I'm not a "fanboy" nor do I jump down peoples throats for mentioning other games, even amongst those in my guild.

However, retards like dark are not even worth my time and all they serve to do is pollute this thread with garbage. He's at exactly the same level as the garbage in most MMO general forums and would fit in well there.

I dunno. He stated his opinion but instead of respecting it and trying to have a reasonable discussion with him all I can really see is you calling him a retard all the time.

darkpower

Banned
1stStrike said:

And with that, you just proved his point!

1stStrike

Banned
Maffis said:
I dunno. He stated his opinion but instead of respecting it and trying to have a reasonable discussion with him all I can really see is you calling him a retard all the time.

There's really nothing to respect. He didn't "state his opinion". He was disrespectful from the start. There's no reason for me treat him any differently.

What I find amusing is both you and him have no intention of buying the game, not unless it's given to you for free - so not sure why you're wasting your time in the Rift thread?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Marrshu said:
You only need DeadlyBossMods for raiding. Any other mods are just optional quality of life adjustments. Some guilds require Omen too.

The only reason these mods are even required is because Blizzard refuses to properly add them to the game.

I don't raid in WoW these days, so I have no idea, but in the past, depending on your class, you would be required to use a lot more addons to play competitively. I'd just rather everyone played with the same set of tools in a persistent online game.

Marrshu said:
A free trial is the only thing that would get a box sale from me. This game could be hyped up as the next Buddha, but I'm still not buying til I get a free trial and see what my $50 + $15 a month goes for. I've been burned too many times by MMOs I just don't play (City of Heroes), or have terrible technical issues (Age of Conan) to simply dive into an MMO without a trial.

Great! So maybe they will get you to purchase a box months down the line when they've had time to polish the game even further and decide to offer a free trial. Right now, though, they need to recoup costs with box sales. People who are really interested in the game will buy it. Giving everyone an opportunity to try the game before buying it will surely result in less sales for them at this particular point in time. Once the hype dies down and things normalize a bit, they can start offering a free trial for people who skipped the game at launch.

That's completely ignoring the effect on their servers that allowing anyone to try the game without paying would have. Right around launch they probably have 80% of their player base online at peak times, which results in big server trouble. Letting anyone download and play the game during this period would make things far worse. They'd have to open up a ton more servers (which they would later have to merge) to accommodate everyone. After the first month, things settle down dramatically.

jersoc

NemesisPrime said:
I just hit 35 and stuns/cc/disables are starting to appear way too frequently in PvP. Another MMO falls for this crap.

When will MMO designers learn? Do NOT take away control of the player. I have fights now where I cannot click any buttons for 10+ seconds.

While I like the PvE and the class system in Rift, the PvP part is starting to fall appart 30+. I guess I won't resub.... I was looking for a PvP MMO.

you must play a cleric too. it's fucking ridiculous and I 100% agree with you. Why, in this day and age, do developers still think stuns, fears, polymorphs are acceptable forms of cc for pvp? roots and snares should be used and roots should have a 2-3 minute CD. It also doesnt help that there is seemingly no diminishing returns.

Oh, knock backs are acceptable too.

I swear as a cleric you have a giant bullseye. I know there are many wfs that people mark the healers so I can only assume I have a giant ass mark on my head the entire game and die in just seconds.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I, too, hate CC abilities in PvP with a passion. Maybe if there were just one or two classes dedicated to support and crowd control that had those abilities it would be okay, but when every class gets some form of stun, fear, knockback, etc... shit just gets frustrating to play.

Warhammer was a lot of fun up until 30 or so when everyone started getting knockback abilities.

1stStrike

Banned
Zefah said:
I, too, hate CC abilities in PvP with a passion. Maybe if there were just one or two classes dedicated to support and crowd control that had those abilities it would be okay, but when every class gets some form of stun, fear, knockback, etc... shit just gets frustrating to play.

Warhammer was a lot of fun up until 30 or so when everyone started getting knockback abilities.

Just wondering, do you have a pvp spec or do you just run into pvp with your pve spec? Because, while there's numerous CC and such, there's just as many ways to counter them/get out of them.

Sophia

Zefah said:
Great! So maybe they will get you to purchase a box months down the line when they've had time to polish the game even further and decide to offer a free trial. Right now, though, they need to recoup costs with box sales. People who are really interested in the game will buy it. Giving everyone an opportunity to try the game before buying it will surely result in less sales for them at this particular point in time. Once the hype dies down and things normalize a bit, they can start offering a free trial for people who skipped the game at launch.

That's completely ignoring the effect on their servers that allowing anyone to try the game without paying would have. Right around launch they probably have 80% of their player base online at peak times, which results in big server trouble. Letting anyone download and play the game during this period would make things far worse. They'd have to open up a ton more servers (which they would later have to merge) to accommodate everyone. After the first month, things settle down dramatically.

Or maybe they'll get a box sale never because I've lost interest and have gone to other stuff. I'm not interested in waiting, and this isn't a genre where you can afford to wait, more so when you have a monthly fee. If they can't offer a free trial, I'll take my money elsewhere, and it'll take extremely positive word of mouth for me to reconsider.

How long before they start offering a free trial? Once Guild Wars 2 comes out, I won't care what happens to Rift. Guild Wars 2 has no monthly fee and a developer with a great track-record behind it. Rift's developer I've never even heard of, and they're getting my attention at the moment off buzz alone.

They should take advantage of that buzz.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Marrshu said:
Or maybe they'll get a box sale never because I've lost interest and have gone to other stuff. I'm not interested in waiting. If they can't offer a free trial, I'll take my money elsehwere, and it'll take extremely positive word of mouth for me to reconsider.

This isn't a genre where you can afford to wait, more so when you have a monthly fee. How long before they start offering a free trial? Once Guild Wars 2 comes out, I won't care what happens to Rift. Guild Wars 2 has no monthly fee and a developer with a great track-record behind it. Rift's developer I've never even heard of, and they're getting my attention at the moment off buzz alone.

Interesting choice of words.

I don't see how you can possibly think they could make more money by offering free trials at launch, but I guess not everyone can be rational.

Just like how pre-launch demos of games can hurt sales at release, offering a free trial for an MMO right at launch is not a smart business decision. Then there's also the server issues that I mentioned in my last post.

Offering free trials at a time when hype is near its peak is the exact opposite of taking advantage of buzz.

Anyway, if you're waiting for Guild Wars 2, there is plenty of time for them to offer a free trial. Honestly, right now is a relatively lull period for MMORPGs. Rift is the only thing new out there and Cataclysm failed to impress veteran WoW players for the most part, so offering a free trial when MMORPG addicts are hounding for something different is not the answer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1stStrike said:
Just wondering, do you have a pvp spec or do you just run into pvp with your pve spec? Because, while there's numerous CC and such, there's just as many ways to counter them/get out of them.

I never experimented with the PvP soul since getting 50, but I did have a specific PvP build. Offering counters to CC doesn't really change my mind about how I think CC abilities in PvP are lame. In fact, it only makes me wish more that they didn't exist, since it pretty much forces everyone to buy those counter abilities, so they can hit a specific button at the right time when they get stunned or feared. It's just more hotkey clutter and isn't interesting to me one bit.

Sophia

Zefah said:
Interesting choice of words.

I don't see how you can possibly think they could make more money by offering free trials at launch, but I guess not everyone can be rational.

Just like how pre-launch demos of games can hurt sales at release, offering a free trial for an MMO right at launch is not a smart business decision. Then there's also the server issues that I mentioned in my last post.

Offering free trials at a time when hype is near its peak is the exact opposite of taking advantage of buzz.

Anyway, if you're waiting for Guild Wars 2, there is plenty of time for them to offer a free trial. Honestly, right now is a relatively lull period for MMORPGs. Rift is the only thing new out there and Cataclysm failed to impress veteran WoW players for the most part, so offering a free trial when MMORPG addicts are hounding for something different is not the answer.

Hey, I'm interested in buying. If the game's actually as good as people say it is, I'll switch over. The lack of a free trial tells me that the game isn't very good. That's usually what a lack of a pre-launch demo means.

They have about a year, I'd imagine, before Guild Wars 2 gets released. That is plenty of time, but my interest is already dying. If it weren't for the positive comments on the WoW forums, I don't think I'd even be reading this thread.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Marrshu said:
Hey, I'm interested in buying. If the game's actually as good as people say it is, I'll switch over. The lack of a free trial tells me that the game isn't very good. That's usually what a lack of a pre-launch demo means.

They have about a year, I'd imagine, before Guild Wars 2 gets released. That is plenty of time, but my interest is already dying. If it weren't for the positive comments on the WoW forums, I don't think I'd even be reading this thread.

What subscription-based MMORPG has ever launched along with free trials? I can't think of any. Where were you during the various periods of beta that anyone with a mind to do so could participate in?

1stStrike

Banned
Marrshu said:
Or maybe they'll get a box sale never because I've lost interest and have gone to other stuff. I'm not interested in waiting, and this isn't a genre where you can afford to wait, more so when you have a monthly fee. If they can't offer a free trial, I'll take my money elsewhere, and it'll take extremely positive word of mouth for me to reconsider.

How long before they start offering a free trial? Once Guild Wars 2 comes out, I won't care what happens to Rift. Guild Wars 2 has no monthly fee and a developer with a great track-record behind it. Rift's developer I've never even heard of, and they're getting my attention at the moment off buzz alone.

Summary of your post: I missed the beta and I'm a cheap bastard who, despite all the great feedback in this thread from people that have actually played it, and a very active guild full of gaffers, continues to troll because he's salty about having to actually spend money on an MMO.

You've said it yourself: you're not going to play, and you've "moved on". So, please, move on from this thread as well.

Sophia

Zefah said:
What subscription-based MMORPG has ever launched along with free trials? I can't think of any. Where were you during the various periods of beta that anyone with a mind to do so could participate in?

I actually didn't hear about the game until near it's release, so there wasn't a chance to try any the beta periods. And I have no idea why subscription based MMORPGs don't offer more free trials. Seems counterproductive to getting me away from WoW and to their game.

(I'm ignoring 1stStrike and his/her's post. I've made it clear I don't buy games blindly without trying them first, and he/she's made it clear he/she's just interested in arguing.)

I'm amazed there are people that think MMOs should launch with free trials. There are so many things wrong with that idea:

It's like admitting a free trial is the only way your game could generate interest, which gives a bad first impression.

You're not capitalizing on curiosity purchases/word of mouth sales which will be at their height around launch.

Then there's the concept of investment. People are more likely to use/stick with things they've paid for because they've invested in it.

No other MMO launched with a trial. Minecraft, while not an MMO, is charging for a freaking beta with no promise that you won't have to purchase the game again when it launches for real. Those sales are built entirely on word of mouth/hype.

The list goes on. You have to ignore so many factors to think it's a good idea. Or you're trolling.

Sophia

You say it's like admitting that a free trial is the only way the game could generate interest, but I think the opposite. I think poorly of games (not just MMOs) that don't launch with a demo, or launch a demo long after the game's release. If you have no faith in the game to personally sell itself on it's own merits, then why should I bother to invest time or money into it?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The most base version of Minecraft has pretty much always been available for free, but offers a very early version of the game without many of the actual features.

But yeah, MMOs don't launch with free trials. Ever.

Scum

CcrooK said:
Geez people. So who's all looking forward to the the new event this week? :D
I sure as hell am! Shame I won't be logging on until 1am GMT for it, though. Damn you, work!
ojfchvjpg.gif

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Can't escape the ridiculous nature of an MMOs community at all then. The fans are just as bad as the haters in my opinion, and this thread shows it.

Sophia

SUPARSTARX said:
Did WoW even launch with a trial in 2004? Aion?

Blizzard didn't launch with a free trial, but they were pretty fast to it. They're also quick to launch a free trial after each expansion too. (Cataclysm had one within the same month.)

1stStrike

Banned
Marrshu said:
You say it's like admitting that a free trial is the only way the game could generate interest, but I think the opposite. I think poorly of games (not just MMOs) that don't launch with a demo, or launch a demo long after the game's release. If you have no faith in the game to personally sell itself on it's own merits, then why should I bother to invest time or money into it?

You obviously have no idea how MMO's work. You get 30 days free with the game and even at the end of 30 days, if you decide you don't like it, you've gotten more content out of that game then pretty much any single player game out there. People spend $60.00 on an FPS for 10 hours of gameplay and you get hundreds of hours out of even just the initial content of an MMO - and this one already has an end-game raid, shit tons of end-game content and a 2nd raid coming out in 5 days.

Seriously, you have no valid argument here. Everything you've said is a joke.

Chrange

Banned
Marrshu said:

There's all kinds of positive word of mouth here and in the WoW forums, which you admit in a later reply. Really just seems, at this point, like you don't really have any intention of trying the game at all. It's kind of funny you assume it's bad because there's no free trial though, when WoW never had one either.

Sophia

Chrange said:
There's all kinds of positive word of mouth here and in the WoW forums, which you admit in a later reply. Really just seems, at this point, like you don't really have any intention of trying the game at all. It's kind of funny you assume it's bad because there's no free trial though, when WoW never had one either.

Or maybe I'm just not going to throw down $50 on a game I may not want to play? I don't buy blindly.

Prodigal

Banned
Marrshu said:
Blizzard didn't launch with a free trial, but they were pretty fast to it. They're also quick to launch a free trial after each expansion too. (Cataclysm had one within the same month.)

It took at least 2 years for Blizz to come out with a free trial because it was around the time of BC and patch 2.1.

Chrange

Banned
So...don't? There's really no need to get into dramatics in the game's OT about your refusal to buy it. No trial = no buy? Great, but then why are you still hanging around? We get it - you're not going to buy it. Nobody cares to hear it anymore.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Marrshu said:

Because that's exactly why there is no free trial! All of those great games that didn't have demos or free trials must have been because the companies that owned the rights to them had no faith in their product!

Never mind that it takes time and resources to develop a demo or free trial, which in itself does not generate any money. Trials and demos can be great marketing tools, but when you are trying to sell the image that you are a "premium" game and a contender in the MMORPG market, debuting with a free trial would hurt that message.

I really don't agree with your sense of entitlement that you should get to try everything before you buy it, but by all means, wait for a free trial. You're obviously not interested in the game enough buy it based on what you've read about it and from the impressions of other people, so you might end up being disappointed with it anyway.

Prodigal said:
It took at least 2 years for Blizz to come out with a free trial because it was around the time of BC and patch 2.1.

I think they started bundling friend trial keys in the box after they hit the 1 million sales mark or so, but I may be mistaken. It definitely wasn't in the first few months.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, I'm getting wasted at the Freemarch anchors. Once I start to damage one, a group of lvl 20 enemies appear and slaughter me. I almost had one but some asshole showed up and finished it off after I stood there and chipped away at it for so long. I'm on the cusp of lvl 19 so I guess I have a few levels to go before I can proceed with that.

I feel like I've already put a ton of time into this game but I'm still in Freemarch. Damn.

*scratch what I said earlier about the chat channels being civil, I just had to turn it off because a full on riot broke out in it

darkpower

Banned
Anyone else think it's just the OP being an absolute douchebag to anyone who doesn't view Rift as the best MMO ever that has damaged this thread, despite his claim that he's more tolerant than he's making himself out to be?

I mean, he's called two people out who never did anything except make their opinion public in the thread (a trial period, or a demo, would be good for THIS game considering how hyped it is). I wouldn't consider that "starting shit".

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Why drag this out any longer, though? Something about you just seems to upset people in this thread, I dunno what it is.

It's too bad that it has to be like this, but I guess it's just the internet being the internet. You should check out Rift soon though, dude, I've been enjoying it more and more everyday. Fun game. I'm almost lvl 20, almost pushing through to the next cap.

I'm sure that within a month or two it'll be on sale for like 20-30 or so, no doubt.

jersoc

Marrshu said:

Are you serious? Do you have any idea how much these game cost to make? Let's not even factor in the server and upkeep cost. But the dev cost alone is crazy enough. The box sales let them get a crap ton of that back. Not to mention there's a lot of people who view a MMO having a trial this soon as a sign of doom. It's quite clear the devs are very happy with the way rift is performing sale wise. You realize WoW launched with like 200k(probably more, but it wasn't a lot) sold, right? I bet you bitched they needed a free trial there too! Only in the last year did they offer a free trial and before that, invite a friend.

To say they need a demo is absolutely insane. Look at this way, even if you play the game for 20 hours you got more game time than 95% of the shit released these days. Just sounds to me you are unsure of yourself and too lazy to put in any research.

My god, we need another thread about mmo trials or something.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, it's just that if the launch of the game came with a free month trial, who would buy the game? Trion had much more to gain from charging for the actual game than giving people a free month of play to decide if they want to keep playing. Making that option available would have just cut into sales.

If they offered a free trial, obviously you wouldn't have to pay a sub, so it would basically be what everyone else is paying for. I know it would be nice, but it wouldn't really make sense in this situation. I'm sure one will come along eventually though.

darkpower

Banned
Snuggler said:
Why drag this out any longer, though? Something about you just seems to upset people in this thread, I dunno what it is.

It's too bad that it has to be like this, but I guess it's just the internet being the internet. You should check out Rift soon though, dude, I've been enjoying it more and more everyday. Fun game. I'm almost lvl 20, almost pushing through to the next cap.

I'm sure that within a month or two it'll be on sale for like 20-30 or so, no doubt.

My battle is more or less with the OP, not with anyone else in this thread. Like I said, I watched TB's vid of it, and I have to say that it looks like something that could catch on. They did a lot of stuff right, and Trion is just looking to compete with WoW, which is good. Competition is always good (hell, Blizzard themselves said they want to see Rift succeed). So I have no problem there. My main issue is that I don't want to get suddenly burned after shelling out 50 bucks, and if people like the OP represent the entire Rift community (thankfully, they do not, at least from what I've seen here, since it's just the OP being all stupid about things). In my mind, instead of doing what he should do by proving everyone wrong about there would-be misconceptions, he's proving everyone RIGHT by completely ignoring everything and calling everyone retards because they don't share exactly the same opinion he does.

And I'm sorry if I have that about me. I'm usually forthcoming with my opinions and I'm not afraid to say it the way I think. I'm not sorry for calling out the OP, though, on his douchebaggery. If he treats people this way on this board, I would HATE to see how he treats people in his guild. He probably WAS one of those "elitist SOBs" in WoW that got kicked out of a guild because he tried to tell people how they should play the game.

1stStrike

Banned
darkpower said:
My battle is more or less with the OP, not with anyone else in this thread. Like I said, I watched TB's vid of it, and I have to say that it looks like something that could catch on. They did a lot of stuff right, and Trion is just looking to compete with WoW, which is good. Competition is always good (hell, Blizzard themselves said they want to see Rift succeed). So I have no problem there. My main issue is that I don't want to get suddenly burned after shelling out 50 bucks, and if people like the OP represent the entire Rift community (thankfully, they do not, at least from what I've seen here, since it's just the OP being all stupid about things). In my mind, instead of doing what he should do by proving everyone wrong about there would-be misconceptions, he's proving everyone RIGHT by completely ignoring everything and calling everyone retards because they don't share exactly the same opinion he does.

And I'm sorry if I have that about me. I'm usually forthcoming with my opinions and I'm not afraid to say it the way I think. I'm not sorry for calling out the OP, though, on his douchebaggery. If he treats people this way on this board, I would HATE to see how he treats people in his guild. He probably WAS one of those "elitist SOBs" in WoW that got kicked out of a guild because he tried to tell people how they should play the game.

All of your posts make me laugh. I've never played WoW and people in my guild all seem pretty happy. You can just ask the people posting in this thread because the majority of them are in it.

The notion of you "battling" me is amusing as well. While you're here polluting my thread I'll be enjoying the game. You should probably find a hobby too.

darkpower

Banned
1stStrike said:
All of your posts make me laugh. I've never played WoW and people in my guild all seem pretty happy. You can just ask the people posting in this thread because the majority of them are in it.

The notion of you "battling" me is amusing as well. While you're here polluting my thread I'll be enjoying the game. You should probably find a hobby too.

But see, it's posts like this that's part of the main problem you're presenting to me and about the community.

I came in here, seeing that there was a thread about this game, and I wanted to share my opinions based on what I've heard and seen about the game. It wasn't in any way my attempt to get anything going, and it wasn't even to "battle" you, although the battle is on now because you continuously attack me every time I've posted, which is not necessary because I've done nothing to you. I expressed, quite openly and honestly, about my concerns and why I wouldn't be ready to dive in right away, but maybe in the future, I would try it out anyway. I was concerned about their marketing strategy being too much too fast, being too MUCH of a WoW clone without giving anything different in terms of mechanics, and some of the people becoming too immersed into the game that they have to venomously defend it if someone even remotely questions something about the game.

While the first two might not be as much of a barrier (you're always going to have ways to market, and WoW took a lot from other MMOs, as well), it's the third one that really sticks out for me. I have given the GAF community credit in that they have, for the most part, proven me wrong about the community in the game not being as fanboyish as some of the people I've seen on other boards when it comes to people accepting not-as-favorable comments about the game. Even my comments have been met with, for the most part, a sense that maybe I should try it out, and that they could agree with my first point about the marketing strategy being out for blood before they grow their teeth.

However, while everyone else has done that, you have taken the road which I have said has been turning me off of ever trying it out. Instead of attempting to lure me in, you are trying to keep me out. With every post, you mention me being some retard, or that I wouldn't like the game anyway because I said I wasn't as bored with WoW yet because I was only there for a year or so, and repeatedly show me that my conceptions about the Rift fanbase could be exactly correct. You've done nothing to show me any different, and you've made no attempt so far to try to change that perception. You're only response has been to try to get me to leave this thread. And then, when someone agrees about the demo (which is a valid argument even if you don't think so), you come back and say that THEY are not allowed in the thread. I think it's just with this post that you have given any effort even CLOSE to saying "maybe you should at least TRY the game".

Do you see where I'm going with this? You're giving a predictable pattern. You're saying you're okay with criticisms, but you are SOOO quick to come back with insults and a proclamation the second someone criticizes anything about the game in the littlest way. Sure, perhaps I could've worded my criticisms better, but I don't think that, in your case, it would've mattered because you still would've responded in the same way judging by how you've responded to everyone who had other issues so far since I posted my points. In no way did I ever attack you or anyone else on a personal basis. It was you that began the "oh, go back to WoW". For one, you say that as if that would be a punishment. And two, you act as though we insulted you personally, which we have not done. Even those that have thought I was talking it up has backed off and saw what I was trying to say, and have actually discussed the points with me like adults. You're still the only one that is going on the way you are, which shows me a lot.

With you being the OP, I would think that instead of you scaring people away, that you would try to convince them that Rift should be a game that they should try out and play. You made the thread, so you obviously have enjoyed it, and want to tell people about it. Thing is, as long as you act like a jackass to anyone who even asks a question about the game, no one is really going to take the game, or you, seriously. I'm sure by now you think I'm being long winded, but I don't know how else to get this through.

LowParry

darkpower = Londa

Oh, and another thing. This free trial business talk is dumb. You pay for the product. You get your first 30 days free. After that you can decide to keep going with the game or not subscribe. Did you waste $60? No. We buy $60 games where we spend close to or near 10 hours of gameplay (single player) compared to MMOs, we use way much more time for those 30 days. I say that $60 is well worth the entry fee. Sucks that there's no demo for MMOs but it'd be foolish to have that. That's why there's open betas for the public. Stay informed with upcoming MMOs that interest you.

5il3nc3r

Just reached level 20 and entering Stonefield. Loving the game but I'm not impressed by the zones so far, both Freemarch and Stonefield looks very plain. Not sure how it compares to other cities in the game but Meridian itself seems pretty small.

darkpower

Banned
CcrooK said:
darkpower = Londa

I don't know what that even MEANS, but okay.

Sorry, though. He's claiming to be something he isn't at the moment.

Oh, and another thing. This free trial business talk is dumb. You pay for the product. You get your first 30 days free. After that you can decide to keep going with the game or not subscribe. Did you waste $60? No. We buy $60 games where we spend close to or near 10 hours of gameplay (single player) compared to MMOs, we use way much more time for those 30 days. I say that $60 is well worth the entry fee. Sucks that there's no demo for MMOs but it'd be foolish to have that. That's why there's open betas for the public. Stay informed with upcoming MMOs that interest you.

I see your point, though I would think that, again, since they hyped it up enough, that people would want to know something about the gameplay before they drop 50 bucks on it, and to try it out on their own.

One thing that I DO like that they have done, from what I've heard in the video, was about the crafting system, and how you can add something to a piece of gear you make to turn into something different. I think that's something that is rather unique to do, and at least on that front (the video didn't go into full detail about this, so any details about how this actually works is appreciated), it's good that they've done that.

mxgt

Banned
darkpower said:
I see your point, though I would think that, again, since they hyped it up enough, that people would want to know something about the gameplay before they drop 50 bucks on it, and to try it out on their own.

They had extensive beta testing that was extremely easy to get into and got a lot of coverage.

It's your own fault for not trying it before release, really.

darkpower

Banned
mxgt said:
They had extensive beta testing that was extremely easy to get into and got a lot of coverage.

It's your own fault for not trying it before release, really.

Yeah, I saw that beta...a few days before IT FUCKING CLOSED! Was pissed!

Like I said, I'm somewhat late to the party on most occasions! Then again, this game has flew under MY radar until someone I know told me about it (I think I was so focused on educating the N4G kids about how to behave when talking about Geohot--lost cause, by the way--that I think I lost myself along the way there).

Alrighty. I am having a bitch of a time making money in this game for a mount. I have Mining, Weapon Forging and the Enchanting variant. I have a bunch of crap that I cant sell and make anything that can sell. Any help that the braintrust could give me would be greatly appreciated

LowParry

Str0ngStyle said:
Alrighty. I am having a bitch of a time making money in this game for a mount. I have Mining, Weapon Forging and the Enchanting variant. I have a bunch of crap that I cant sell and make anything that can sell. Any help that the braintrust could give me would be greatly appreciated

Which mount? Cause I find the 150p mount not really worth it.

Cheech

Who is paying $50 for this game? I picked it up off Amazon for $35 just over a week ago. IIRC it was $40 with a $15 GC over the weekend.

Even if you're sure you're not going to go for the monthly fee, that first month gives out a LOT of content. More than enough to justify the box price. I've paid $60 for games I've finished in 3 evenings, FFS.

That said, after a week of play, I canceled my WoW sub yesterday. I'll continue to do my dailies until my month is up, but Rift will be seeing my MMO monies, at least until Old Republic drops. I even went on the 3 month plan.

The best part about Rift is random groupings done right. The Rifts bring players together, and it's so easy to then ad-hoc go into an actual raid/dungeon with the same group it's hilarious. Everyone is stoked from the Rift event, so hey, let's go run Iron Tombs or whatever.

The OTHER best part about Rift so far is how polite everyone is. Not being completely familiar with the game's loot trees yet, I ninja'ed something from a dps priest (I am a healing priest). I thought the crit % worked like WoW, but apparently not. Oh well. The group, and the dps priest were all very cool. In WoW, I would have been called a faggot and god knows what else.

Speaking of faggotry, I am also enjoying how civil the general/trade chat channels are. I haven't seen anything rude, nasty, or juvenile splattered across the public channels since first logging into the game! It is a really nice breath of fresh air.

So, no. I do not want children like those who whine for free trials playing Rift. Please stick to WoW, and continue qq'ing in WoW's forums about "nerf bats" and god knows what else. Thanks.

LowParry

I've ran into the few troll chat area's (which usually run on the Level 1 - 9 chats. Meh). The community is pretty good here on my server. The only thing that I've noticed is the lack of call outs for Expert runs. It's very hard to find one. Though I seriously blame this on WoW LFG system. It's a fantastic idea and I hope that other MMOs would pick up on it. But we gotta go old school with shout outs. "DPS/Support - LFG - Experts!"

Cheech

CcrooK said:
I've ran into the few troll chat area's (which usually run on the Level 1 - 9 chats. Meh). The community is pretty good here on my server. The only thing that I've noticed is the lack of call outs for Expert runs. It's very hard to find one. Though I seriously blame this on WoW LFG system. It's a fantastic idea and I hope that other MMOs would pick up on it. But we gotta go old school with shout outs. "DPS/Support - LFG - Experts!"

I played WoW very, very heavily from launch through the end of 2005. Then, I came back when Cata dropped. So yeah, I took a REALLY long break. I sprang my long dormant warlock up to 85 in not much time.

The WoW Dungeon Finder is a good and bad though. The thing I've noticed is that people treat it like a Call of Duty lobby, where if things aren't going your way after 5 minutes, just bail and find another one. Especially if you're dps like a warlock, you can easily get screwed after spending 40 minutes in the Dungeon Finder. I came into a Heroic dungeon a couple weeks back right at a boss fight, with people just cursing at each other after wiping. I died immediately, and then something happened where I couldn't get back in (the group dissolved).

I would rather have a system where EVERYBODY, not just dps, has to work to get a group together. That way, they're less likely to just bail when things don't go their way and leave everyone else holding the bag. WoW's dungeon finder fosters the "tank attitude", and makes things seriously unfun. I had a Heroic a few weeks back where we burned through 5-6 tanks in one run. It was just absurd. Everybody was doing their part (according to recount, at least), but either not up to the tank's standard, or they simply did not want to be doing that particular dungeon.

So, no, I do not mind kicking it old school with Rift's LFG. There's a certain element to it that I enjoy from vanilla WoW.

Top Bottom