• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Last night I saw a new type of invasion (well at least new to me), death rifts were opening everywhere, and instead of just closing all of them we had to protect this machine at Kelari Refuge and elsewhere (the death rifts were sending a stream of guys to destroy it) while some people went out and gathered items that were spawning randomly to bring back. Once we got 200 the boss came out.

It was a lot of fun.

Does anybody know if there are more variants like this?

Ashodin

I forgot, is Runecrafting able to be done on other player's gear (like enchanting)?

I might have answered my own question.

BrettWeir

My only gripe with the game (besides fps issues with ATI cards) is the lack of gear for people that like to Warfront more than quest. There are very few loot drops in WF, and its all up for grabs. They need to implement lower level gear that can be purchased with realm points (whatever they are called) that is at least on par with quest rewards. Another issue is money. Level up to mid 20s in a WF and broke as hell.

Rubius

TheExodu5 said:
What are good professions for a healing cleric?
For Potions and Buff
-------------------------
Apothecary
Wood/Plant Gathering
Butchery

For Max stat at end level
------------------------------
Outfitter
Butchery
Runecrafting

And thats it, BETA over. Whilst i had fun in this game i wont be buying it, at least till its £5/10 for the nox in a few months.

Whilst I had fun in the game in the beginning, the quest > odd rift > get steam rolled in warfronts by defiant's isnt enough to get me to pay full price for the game

TheExodu5

Banned
Rubius said:
For Potions and Buff
-------------------------
Apothecary
Wood/Plant Gathering
Butchery

For Max stat at end level
------------------------------
Outfitter
Butchery
Runecrafting
Thanks. You sure it's outfitter for Cleric though? We use chain mail.

Weenerz

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Preordered last night, got my Well Spun Hat this morning. Can't wait to jump in on the 24th for you guys.

Is that the Half Life hat? or something else? How?

Also, I have decided to do my early start as a Bard, as I fell in love with it. Any recommendations for second/third souls for the bard as the main spec? What race should I choose?

1stStrike

Banned
Gaz Pwnage said:
And thats it, BETA over. Whilst i had fun in this game i wont be buying it, at least till its £5/10 for the nox in a few months.

Whilst I had fun in the game in the beginning, the quest > odd rift > get steam rolled in warfronts by defiant's isnt enough to get me to pay full price for the game

That's hilarious, because in the lvl 40+ range I was getting stomped by guardians in 90% of the matches I played in.

I also did Lantern Hook last night with a group of 42's and it was pretty challenging - a lot of fun and we wiped a few times (on the first section!). The final boss was kicking our asses though and we were about to give up when we decided to try and fight him on the edge of the map because he throws these giant fire crystals that do AOE damage all over the place (think deepspike mines except they never despawn).

Well, he'd throw a crystal at you, it'd spawn and then vanish doing no damage. The whole fight went like this and was a piece of cake as a result. I reported it as a bug so hopefully it'll get fixed, but we beat it at least and I got a couple of cool weapons and some neat pants to end beta with.

Also, my sabo / nightblade build is more powerful then sabo / assassin IMO. Both have their virtues, but I was doing higher and more consistent damage with NB thrown into the mix thanks to the +30% damage on finishers.

Concept17

I think I'm pretty set as a Shaman and Warden for my first character. (not sure what my other two souls will be primarily)

Should have no problem switching between healer and utility dps when we need it. I actually managed to do a little tanking as shaman in an IT group last night, and was doing a considerable amount of damage as well.(no aggro abilities) The class itself feels like it needs a little more work, but overall I really like it.

I just need to remember to keep gear for both roles.

Going to likely level a warrior type for my alt. Paladin primarily and Riftblade or Void Walker for second.

1stStrike

Banned
Hey guys, for those of you in the GAF guild - I just tossed up the ideas for raid times as well as my proposed raid loot system on the Lotus Cross forum. Please check it out and give me feedback so that we can get this all settled before headstart begins :)

1stStrike

Banned
Here's some more screenshots:

Runic Descent

2011-2-20_31841.jpg

Lantern Hook

2011-2-21_3143.jpg

Critter Army

2011-2-20_25046.jpg

RIP one of the rabbits. I accidentally stabbed him to death when I finished taking the screenshot=\

1stStrike

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
So, any word on whether we'll be able to pre-load the client before the 24th?

As soon as I see something on it I'll post it up. The only new news I have is the following:

Hey, Folks-

Just a heads up that we will doing some work on the official site tomorrow to prepare for launch. We expect to start this work at 10 a.m. (PST) and the process should take a couple of hours. During the down time, you may not be able to create or manage your account or access the forums.

So, perhaps they'll put the client up there with the site update. If it's not up tomorrow, I imagine you'll see it on the 23rd or 24th. But, even during beta with all those people downloading it only took me an hour to DL it so I'm not really worried.

Sebulon3k said:
So if I buy this on Steam on the 24th will I get access to the headstart?

Yes you will get a code when you buy the game, go to the trion website and create an account and enter that code, it will give you access to the early start.

LowParry

1stStrike said:
Hey guys, for those of you in the GAF guild - I just tossed up the ideas for raid times as well as my proposed raid loot system on the Lotus Cross forum. Please check it out and give me feedback so that we can get this all settled before headstart begins :)

Is it alright if you gave us times here or could PM me them?

BigAT

After playing the beta to level 20, I was still on the fence for quite a while about whether or not I was going to pick this up. I decided to go ahead and order the Digital CE tonight though. I was very impressed with how solid the beta was and how quickly the dev team was about fixing things.

I think I'm either going pure tank or a pure healer, it's nice to be needed for groups. I'm rolling on a server with a couple of real life friends, although I'm sure I'm create an alt on Belmont to hang out with GAF.

1stStrike

Banned
CcrooK said:
Is it alright if you gave us times here or could PM me them?

We're still deciding on times, which is why we kind of wanted to get everyone organized on the forum to see what times work for them before we settle on anything. Right now there will probably be one weekday and one weekend raid, but we can also have an early raid and a late night raid as well depending on the times that people can do.

Since raids have to work around the schedule of 10 - 20 people (and more in case someone can't make it) we're trying to ensure that we come to a good balance. I don't expect LC to be a huge guild, but with about 35 - 50 people we'll be able to have two regular raids.

LowParry

1stStrike said:
We're still deciding on times, which is why we kind of wanted to get everyone organized on the forum to see what times work for them before we settle on anything. Right now there will probably be one weekday and one weekend raid, but we can also have an early raid and a late night raid as well depending on the times that people can do.

Since raids have to work around the schedule of 10 - 20 people (and more in case someone can't make it) we're trying to ensure that we come to a good balance. I don't expect LC to be a huge guild, but with about 35 - 50 people we'll be able to have two regular raids.

I gotcha. Well we do have the optional end game raids with either a 10 or 20 man. Though is it know if the loot tables are the same or different between 10 and 20 man runs? I think I just need to be accepted on the site. I'm under the name ChrisMun.

CcrooK said:
I gotcha. Well we do have the optional end game raids with either a 10 or 20 man. Though is it know if the loot tables are the same or different between 10 and 20 man runs? I think I just need to be accepted on the site. I'm under the name ChrisMun.

There are no 10 man dungeons right now, actually.
They were cut because of balancing issues.

BigAT said:
After playing the beta to level 20, I was still on the fence for quite a while about whether or not I was going to pick this up. I decided to go ahead and order the Digital CE tonight though. I was very impressed with how solid the beta was and how quickly the dev team was about fixing things.

I was listening to the Rift podcast where they visited Trion and one of them saying that the team for 12 - 18 months just straight up worked their asses off to get this game to the point where they wanted the game to be done plus more than they expected had me really impressed. Knowing that the team can do such a feat has me really looking forward to what they can put out later down the line because they really seem to care about the game and what the community has to say.

Ashodin

AceBandage said:
There are no 10 man dungeons right now, actually.
They were cut because of balancing issues.
10 man Rift events are just fine. Better, in fact, because they can be done anywhere.

You can rally the guild to a specific location in the world (an unmolested tear, perhaps) and every guildie can buy a 50 gold teleport to said rally point.

1stStrike

Banned
CcrooK said:

You should be set. I've moved you and everyone else into the Guild Member group so you can see the ventrilo information as well.

Also, not sure on the loot yet to be honest since none of us have done end-game raids. The 10 man rift raids are going to be an actual story/raid event and not just monsters popping out. You'll learn a bit about the world and have to actually use strategy to beat the bosses (in the video I have in the OP it shows one of the bosses turning you into a giant mushroom lol).

nyong

Banned
Can't wait until the 24th. Game has some significant performance/balance issues, but it's pretty damn fun most of the time. The rifts are a cool if somewhat gimmicky addition to the MMO formula too.

My build: Warlock/Dominator

The biggest problem I ran into playing Dom is my survivability in PvP. Draining healers of their mana and sheeping people at will is tons of fun...Warlock isn't the greatest of synergies with the dots (most CC breaks on damage, albeit I'm specced to allow for some), but I should be much harder to kill next time around. Dominators get focused hella quick once people realize what's going on.

My biggest fear with Rift is what happened to WoW.
Nerfing PvE skills because of PvP.
Ugh.
Give me back my unlimited Life Blooms and instant Wild Growths, Blizzard!

1stStrike

Banned
AceBandage said:
My biggest fear with Rift is what happened to WoW.
Nerfing PvE skills because of PvP.
Ugh.
Give me back my unlimited Life Blooms and instant Wild Growths, Blizzard!

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that they should do what LotRO did - balance PvE skills in warfronts, but leave them alone outside of them. There are some skills in WF's which are just stupidedly overpowered and need some re-consideration IMO. I get turned into a god damn squirrel two - three times a match and I can only get myself out of it once every 5 minutes. Plus, every class has stuns/slows and it seems like I can get chain stunned without being able to do much about it.

That's fine. They can do that all they want.
Just don't take my class/soul spec and completely neuter it because PvPers cry about everything whenever they lose, making dungeons and raids harder than they should be.

nyong

Banned
1stStrike said:
Honestly, I'm of the opinion that they should do what LotRO did - balance PvE skills in warfronts, but leave them alone outside of them. There are some skills in WF's which are just stupidedly overpowered and need some re-consideration IMO. I get turned into a god damn squirrel two - three times a match and I can only get myself out of it once every 5 minutes. Plus, every class has stuns/slows and it seems like I can get chain stunned without being able to do much about it.
Yeah, the squirrel really needs to be moved a bit higher up the Dom tree. It really shouldn't be a baseline no-point skill. Personally, I think that mana-wrench should be toned down and made baseline with improved mana wrench up in the third branch to max it out.

The trees are changing again for release, btw. The alpha notes are floating around somewhere. VK/RS are getting nerfed pretty heavily, thank the stars. I also know that the 50% crit damage is getting moved way the hell up the Elementalist tree...stuff like this. I keep thinking back to WoW's release and this really isn't that bad, a couple of standout classes notwithstanding.

1stStrike

Banned
nyong said:
Yeah, the squirrel really needs to be moved a bit higher up the Dom tree. It really shouldn't be a baseline no-point skill. Personally, I think that mana-wrench should be toned down and made baseline with improved mana wrench up in the third branch to max it out.

The trees are changing again for release, btw. The alpha notes are floating around somewhere. VK/RS are getting nerfed pretty heavily, thank the stars. I also know that the 50% crit damage is getting moved way the hell up the Elementalist tree...stuff like this. I keep thinking back to WoW's release and this really isn't that bad, a couple of standout classes notwithstanding.

Yeah, thank god for the warrior nerfs. I was getting discharged for 600+ damage by some warrior constantly one night and couldn't even defend myself because I did shit for damage against him with all the heavy plate armor he had on. Also, flame spear is getting nerfed too which I'm happy about.

I see a lot of people whining about sabo's, but we're glass cannons - die really fast in PvP without a healer. Rogues go after me all the time too with stealth. I got jumped by 3 of them last night in a WF after I blew the shit out of all their squishies.

I should make myself a warrior someday and just run around tanking in PvP with a healer. A guy I was playing with in RD last night had over 8k HP o_0

nyong

Banned
The only problem I have with sabs is that the explosion comes out of nowhere. Next patch they're adding a "ticking" sound when you have explosives attached to you. People will either a) rejoice because now they know when to clease, or b) aggravate some latent heart condition :p

Wallach

I might jump on this for head start depending on the quality of tomorrow's DCUO patch.

Shame you Lotus Cross fellas are going Defiant as that faction is decidedly Dwarf-less. Not sure I can respect that.

I guess there's not really any strictly PvE servers for Rift, from what I understand? Haven't heard much positive about the PvP from the beta phases so I was hoping to just carebear it up. I don't really have a lot of hope for the game's PvP balance (even long-term) with the way the class system is designed.

1stStrike

Banned
nyong said:
The only problem I have with sabs is that the explosion comes out of nowhere. Next patch they're adding a "ticking" sound when you have explosives attached to you. People will either a) rejoice because now they know when to clease, or b) aggravate some latent heart condition :p

People will still not notice it. Like myself, since I always have music on :p The great thing about the bombs is I can time when I want to kill you. I throw 5 charges and then wait for you to drop to half health and then BOOM, dead. :)

Sebulon3k said:
I'm amazed you have a website for the guild already, pretty legit.

We're serious. This is going to be an organized, fun guild and we're not fucking around :) Plus, my day job is fixing other people's websites all day long so this is all cake for me. I maintain it myself.

Wallach said:
I might jump on this for head start depending on the quality of tomorrow's DCUO patch.

Shame you Lotus Cross fellas are going Defiant as that faction is decidedly Dwarf-less. Not sure I can respect that.

I guess there's not really any strictly PvE servers for Rift, from what I understand? Haven't heard much positive about the PvP from the beta phases so I was hoping to just carebear it up. I don't really have a lot of hope for the game's PvP balance (even long-term) with the way the class system is designed.

On any PvE server all you have to do is flag yourself as non-pvpable and nobody can attack you. You don't have to participate in warfronts either so you can completely carebear it up if you'd like. I went with a PvE server as the population tends to be more mature and you can still participate in organized PvP and ganking if you'd like (many people never flag PvP off so you can attack them anyway)

nyong

Banned
I'm rolling PvP for sure. The way the soul system is set up, it's super-easy to have a World PvP travel build just to thwart would-be gankers. With the constant Rift events there's a reasonably good chance that people aren't going to hole-up in the cities too. Of all the MMOs, I can see World PvP working the best here...class imbalances and all. There's enough CC to escape from just about anybody who isn't teamed up.

Top Bottom