• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Wes

venison crêpe
Einbroch said:
Anything but Rogue is a good idea.

with regards what class to pick, just go with your instincts. I wanted to go Rogue but because someone said something like the statement above I went Warrior. Got it to 50 and it was fine.

Now I'm playing a rogue alt and I'm realy loving it. The mechanics and playstyle suits me a lot better. Don't worry about class choice too much, the soul system adds enough variety to keep things fresh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Chances are I'd be saying this about any class I chose, but I'm loving my Mage. I have Chloromancer and Archon souls (sp?), but I've put most of my points into Stormbringer. I can get wiped pretty easily since my defense is weak, but I can bring the pain with my lightning spells. I'm like the Emperor from Return of the Jedi as I drain the shit out of my enemy's health.

Anyways, I've been so into this game. I took a risk with it but it's already paid off, I've probably played like at least 40 hours in two weeks. I'm at lvl 22 right now, so if anyone around that level wants to play tonight (or anytime in the future), we should totally meet up. I haven't done much group questing and I would love to tackle the dungeon in Freemarch.

Fixed1979

Only received 2 PM's for the code. I don't know if the people I gave it to passed it along to anyone so there could be 3 uses left...have at it.

NGLR-WKHQ-XNMY-QMRK-REE7

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
'failed to connect to the authentication server'

arrrrgggh, all people signing up with trials must have broke the game

assholes

Phew, made it in. While I was waiting I decided to upgrade to the Collectors edition. I didn't know you could do that, nice. Now to decide between my gazelle and the battleturtle. The turtle is awesome, but like everyone has a Turtle now.

Made an Eth female (hot blonde) mage with Elementalist soul. This seemed like a fun soul to pick because you get a range of abilities with different elements + the sweet elemental pets you can summon. I can choose another soul after the next quest... so if I pick Necromancer can I have both Ele and Necro pets out? And why is the auto attack so slow and unresponsive. My username is Crocodilealligator on Belmont http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZwhNFOn4ik

So wait, this is what mine says:

Event schedule
10am PST April 4, 2011 through 10am PST April 7, 2011.

And when I download the client, says that it can't update version at this time. It also mentions the beta for some reason on the patcher..?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I had to close it out and bring it back up. Good to go!

1stStrike

Banned
If any of you guys end up subscribing you're welcome to join the guild on Belmont, but I'm not going to allow anyone that's just mooching for the two day trial into the guild as it's just going to be a hassle to clean them out later if they don't subscribe.

SorchaR

Heavy said:
Made an Eth female (hot blonde) mage with Elementalist soul. This seemed like a fun soul to pick because you get a range of abilities with different elements + the sweet elemental pets you can summon. I can choose another soul after the next quest... so if I pick Necromancer can I have both Ele and Necro pets out?

No, my daughter tried that and you can only have 1 pet out at a time. If you summon another pet (even from a different soul) the first dissapears.

Lebron

Fixed1979 said:
Only received 2 PM's for the code. I don't know if the people I gave it to passed it along to anyone so there could be 3 uses left...have at it.

NGLR-WKHQ-XNMY-QMRK-REE7
Friend used this one, thanks.

Leatherface

I'm looking for Nvidia Inspector type performance enhancement settings. Also trying to find a way to lock my framerate to 30fps (instead of varying between 32-49). Any tips for this game as far as performance goes will be greatly appreciated. I want to squeeze as much out of this as I can! Thanks!

Kaspanova

Neo Member
1stStrike said:
If any of you guys end up subscribing you're welcome to join the guild on Belmont, but I'm not going to allow anyone that's just mooching for the two day trial into the guild as it's just going to be a hassle to clean them out later if they don't subscribe.

I will let you know on Monday. I was planning to pick it up, but the Trial came at the right time so I can have a good decider now.

Cheers

Heysoos

Ugh. :( So, downloaded the game overnight. Got home earlier today, tried playing but kept getting an error when I was installing DirectX9 which it told me it needed. Finally get that worked out. Tells me to update my video card. Go to the Dell website, which tells me my video card is updated. I download the "update" that's there. Finally, play for like 10 minutes, during which I click a scroll type thing that's on the wall of a house during one of the beginner quests. Computer crashes. I reboot, my computer boots up in the lowest resolution, my Chipset driver is no longer working properly. Why can't it just let me play? :(( (By the way I'm in no way blaming it on this game, just venting a little.)

On the plus side, from the little I got to play, I was having fun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
iRobotZombie said:
Is Belmont a US only server? Can't see it in my EU Shard list.

Well, if I like it, i'll Sub and jump ship to US.

It's a US shard. If you'd like, you can change your region from the patcher.

Chrange

Banned
Heysoos said:
Ugh. :( So, downloaded the game overnight. Got home earlier today, tried playing but kept getting an error when I was installing DirectX9 which it told me it needed. Finally get that worked out. Tells me to update my video card. Go to the Dell website, which tells me my video card is updated. I download the "update" that's there. Finally, play for like 10 minutes, during which I click a scroll type thing that's on the wall of a house during one of the beginner quests. Computer crashes. I reboot, my computer boots up in the lowest resolution, my Chipset driver is no longer working properly. Why can't it just let me play? :(( (By the way I'm in no way blaming it on this game, just venting a little.)

On the plus side, from the little I got to play, I was having fun.

Find out what your card is and go to the manufacturer's website. Dell's driver lists are often way out of date.

Heysoos

Chrange said:
Find out what your card is and go to the manufacturer's website. Dell's driver lists are often way out of date.

Yeah, I got it worked out.

Okay, now for some questions. I'm kinda embarrassed but I'm finding myself dying a lot... Killing one, then suddenly I'm getting jumped by 3 or 4 enemies.. Any good warrior tips/builds for beginners? Should I just be grinding or something?

1stStrike

Banned
5il3nc3r said:
Is there anyone from Australia/South East Asia in the GAF guild?

We have one person in the guild from Australia. Rest are either europe or US. Also, Belmont is a US server but you can change the region you play on at any time.

1stStrike

Banned
I just wanted to update you guys here that the forum has been rebuilt and is now back online at http://lotuscrossguild.com. I managed to retrieve the entire loot system post from the google cache, which is great since that took me a while to write up. All of the other posts were lost and everyone will need to re-register, but it's there at least. All new members should be registering on the forum and posting a formal application before messaging any officer in-game.

darkpower

Banned
Okay, so someone PMed me a trial code for this game, and I've been trying it out (I bet 1st is going to HATE that along with whoever gave it to me...not gonna say who it was, but thanks to who did).

The game is very polished, and I got to level 5 (I think) on my Defiant warrior (on Belmont) and the environment was really well done. It's very easy to develop a sense of what you want to do and when you want to do it. Rotations, at least for the warrior I was playing (I'd have to log in again to tell you which souls I picked so far), felt fluid and swift, and I felt as though I was challenged but not forced to deal with cheapness and/or padding. This game DOES play a LOT like WoW does (not saying that's a BAD thing), so I knew what I was doing when I got into playing the game. At the moment, most of my play time was spend questing, which I don't know if that's the only way I would want to grind the levels out.

This is about the biggest gripe I have with the game so far: I haven't exactly seen any other way to gain the levels, as no rifts have came open during my play, and I didn't see those artifact orbs lying around while playing, though I'm not sure if this is from me being trial or not. Thus, it seemed to be linear. Of course, I'm still level 5, so we'll see if that's just from early leveling or not. Many of my good times with WoW came at later levels with the instances and raiding, so it's mostly more of endgame stuff with me, which I heard Rift has a LOT of.

Right now, it seems like a game that they did well, and could hold someone's interests (or mine) for some time, but it's not a game that's going to make me suddenly want to uninstall or unsubbed off of WoW or any other MMO (I'm subbed to DCUO right now, too, even though I've only logged on to THAT twice). It might be one where I could juggle between the two MMOs: Rift and WoW (damn, my game backlog, if I add Rift, could be the worst I've ever had in my 27 years of gaming).

So yeah, good on Trion for Rift, and it's a good WoW alt.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I dunno about it being an alt or anything, but the game is still opening up for me at level 22+. In fact, I've sunk in a lot of time but I have like 80% of the map greyed out still. But at this point, I'm dealing with much better quests and there are artifacts and rifts and invasions going on pretty much all the time. Sometimes when I'm in the mood I can just ride from rift to rift and boost my XP and snatch up some rift items. They're pretty much always littered across my map.

I'm glad you finally got the chance to play it, but for what it's worth, you're only at the very start of the game. You get to lvl 5 within the first hour or two of playing the game, which isn't much for any game, especially an MMO.

darkpower

Banned
Snuggler said:
I dunno about it being an alt or anything, but the game is still opening up for me at level 22+. In fact, I've sunk in a lot of time but I have like 80% of the map greyed out still. But at this point, I'm dealing with much better quests and there are artifacts and rifts and invasions going on pretty much all the time.

I'm glad you finally got the chance to play it, but for what it's worth, you're only at the very start of the game. You get to lvl 5 within the first hour or two of playing the game, which isn't much for any game, especially an MMO.

Yeah. I understand that. Like I said, it was just because of early levels. It wasn't until later on in my WoW playing that that MMO began to show why it was such a good, solid MMO.

Like I said, though, the only real, major complaint I have about the game is the early levels and how linear it is. I wish that Trion would've mixed things up a bit for that early tier because that's where you want to get people hooked.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
darkpower said:
Yeah. I understand that. Like I said, it was just because of early levels. It wasn't until later on in my WoW playing that that MMO began to show why it was such a good, solid MMO.

Like I said, though, the only real, major complaint I have about the game is the early levels and how linear it is. I wish that Trion would've mixed things up a bit for that early tier because that's where you want to get people hooked.
By the time you get to level 10-12 you will be drowning in rift events. I started ignoring them.

And a question to veteran players: is there any way to increase the draw distance in this game by the way? Even maxed out I really can't see as far as I want to.

So the grey and yellow spaces you fall through are not the rifts, right? They just bring you back to another area. Couldn't they have made them a little more snazzy? It's just a blank grey thing you fall through. Could have put some cool warp effects or something. Looks really cheap.

Where is the cave to activate the temporal flux? I was standing right on the marker but it's just a mountain.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Heavy said:
So the grey and yellow spaces you fall through are not the rifts, right? They just bring you back to another area. Couldn't they have made them a little more snazzy? It's just a blank grey thing you fall through. Could have put some cool warp effects or something. Looks really cheap.

Where is the cave to activate the temporal flux? I was standing right on the marker but it's just a mountain.

What?

Regarding the cave, you're doing it wrong if you're climbing any mountains. The cave is at the base of the mountain.

Zefah said:
What?

Regarding the cave, you're doing it wrong if you're climbing any mountains. The cave is at the base of the mountain.
Wait a minute, you guys aren't seeing these? They're all over the place. The last pic is what you see when you drop inside one. The game just reloads to the area you were at previously... it goes to the loading screen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Heavy said:
Wait a minute, you guys aren't seeing these? They're all over the place. The last pic is what you see when you drop inside one. The game just reloads to the area you were at previously... it goes to the loading screen.

You should try updating your drivers if you haven't.

lmao weird

I just tested a couple other games (Homefront and a full Black Ops MP match) and everything was normal. Maybe the Rift patcher didn't download properly or something and it's missing data.

Zefah said:
You should try updating your drivers if you haven't.
I seem to get better performance out of Catalyst 10.10 then the 11.X ones so I've kept it.

Heavy said:

That looks terrible. Run a sweep and update your drivers! Running CCC 11.2 with no problems at all here.

There is one thing I noticed that was kind of weird though. I downloaded the client from the main ally page before the event started since there was no download link in the account section yet. Friday, I went to download the client for my wifey from the account page and the button downloaded the beta patcher instead (wtf?). Not sure if there is any difference but I promptly deleted that and just copied the current patcher and update files from my PC to her PC over the network and used that instead.

1stStrike

Banned
Heavy said:
lmao weird

I just tested a couple other games (Homefront and a full Black Ops MP match) and everything was normal. Maybe the Rift patcher didn't download properly or something and it's missing data.

I seem to get better performance out of Catalyst 10.10 then the 11.X ones so I've kept it.

Yeah, looks like they're really working out well for you. *rolleyes*

1stStrike said:
Yeah, looks like they're really working out well for you. *rolleyes*
Well, this is the only time I've ever had a problem with that. There's no confirmation it's due to being on 10.10, either. Probably just a bad download. I'll try again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Heavy said:
Well, this is the only time I've ever had a problem with that. There's no confirmation it's due to being on 10.10, either. Probably just a bad download. I'll try again.

There have been numerous Rift-specific improvements in AMD's recent drivers, so I would strongly suggest updating them if you play the game.

BrettWeir

Heavy said:

Do you have Anti aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering set to "Application Managed"? If not, put them to App Managed.

BrettWeir said:
Do you have Anti aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering set to "Application Managed"? If not, put them to App Managed.
I have AF set to ignore App Settings (did this for Crysis 2). Hmm, I'll try that out after I finish redownloading. Thanks.

Zefah said:
There have been numerous Rift-specific improvements in AMD's recent drivers, so I would strongly suggest updating them if you play the game.
If the above doesn't work I'll def update.

SUPARSTARX said:
I changed roms on my Andriod phone and now the Rift authenticator doesn't work. I cannot log on!! :(

I would assume, from what you are describing, that the Rift Authenticator is like Blizzard's. If you reset your phone or it crashes, when you re-download the authenticator it has a new serial number which is why the codes don't work. You have to un-link the original from your account before you can download it again and apply the new SN.

I had a phone crash on me and had to e-mail Blizzard with all my info and what not to get it removed so I could put the new one on. Hope this helps...

darkpower said:

Well, the game is fairly linear for a while - it's that type of MMO - but it's not as bad as that first area makes it look - it's just a training area, taking you through the different types of quests and things you'll need to know to get started. Eventually you will make it to the real world, and that's where it really opens up. And the further you go, the more options are given on what to do, and the further you'll have to range to complete your quests, so you'll get more of a feeling of exploration. I'd say by the time you reach the capital city and finish a number of the in-city quests, you'll have a good feeling for a lot of what the game is. And you still will have explored only really a small part of the world.

SUPARSTARX

Looks like I'm not the only one with the same problem. It's an error that says you can't retrieve serial key. So basically a ton of people with the mobile authenticator cannot log on because they can't even attach a new serial on.

1stStrike

Banned
SUPARSTARX said:
Looks like I'm not the only one with the same problem. It's an error that says you can't retrieve serial key. So basically a ton of people with the mobile authenticator cannot log on because they can't even attach a new serial on.

Just like Windows service packs you never get this shit right when it comes out - need to wait a while for all the kinks to be worked out before you jump onto the bandwagon.

Top Bottom