• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

So, I'm playing Rift on a trial and did I screw up picking souls for my warrior? She's a Champion, Riftblade and Paragon. There's a lot of downtime with her and taking 3 mobs at once is a quick death. Should I have picked a soul with a pet? How do you get to pick another soul after you select your initial 3? My mage on the other hand is fun to play. Pryomancer, elementalist, and storm caller, but I hardly ever use any air spells. Maybe should have picked up Archon instead?

1stStrike

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
So, I'm playing Rift on a trial and did I screw up picking souls for my warrior? She's a Champion, Riftblade and Paragon. There's a lot of downtime with her and taking 3 mobs at once is a quick death. Should I have picked a soul with a pet? How do you get to pick another soul after you select your initial 3? My mage on the other hand is fun to play. Pryomancer, elementalist, and storm caller, but I hardly ever use any air spells. Maybe should have picked up Archon instead?

I haven't played a warrior so I can't give you too many tips, but I do know that the warriors I've seen have done the most damage with pets. At lvl 50 most don't use them as their spec isn't 51 into beastmaster (they have the pet summoned, but keep it on passive ).

For leveling, though, beastmaster would help you out as it does provide support skills which will heal both you and your pet and increase damage/defense/etc.

You can do quests to get the other souls at lvl 13, so even if you've picked souls initially that you're not happy with, you can change them up once you've earned the rest of the souls.

Chrange

Banned
Got my Rogue to 50, switching from a Saboteur-heavy build I used early on to a heavy Assassin build with a touch of Bard for buffs and healing. He's gathering profession trained, and sending the mats to two other characters who do armorsmith, weaponsmith, runecrafting, and outfitter. Crafted him a Mask of the Hunter but was disappointed that the Augment I put in didn't get used for some reason. Didn't fail and disappear, just didn't get used at all.

Followed that up by getting a friend the mats for Conditioned Leather Shoulder Guards and his augment worked, a dex/attack power buff.

Still having a blast playing, and the game really gets more involved at 50. Expert dungeons and rifts add a lot of difficulty.

1stStrike

Banned
Chrange said:
Got my Rogue to 50, switching from a Saboteur-heavy build I used early on to a heavy Assassin build with a touch of Bard for buffs and healing. He's gathering profession trained, and sending the mats to two other characters who do armorsmith, weaponsmith, runecrafting, and outfitter. Crafted him a Mask of the Hunter but was disappointed that the Augment I put in didn't get used for some reason. Didn't fail and disappear, just didn't get used at all.

Followed that up by getting a friend the mats for Conditioned Leather Shoulder Guards and his augment worked, a dex/attack power buff.

Still having a blast playing, and the game really gets more involved at 50. Expert dungeons and rifts add a lot of difficulty.

Half the difficulty at 50 is learning the dungeons, the other half is finding people that can play their class well enough to be useful in your group :p We had a rather terrible PUG experience earlier today in AP expert (T2 dungeon) but mostly cruised through it without any issues when we re-attempted it with just guildies.

I also finally found a really good riftstalker build that generates a lot of threat on multi-mob fights, as well as a trinket which helps generate additional threat (and can also reduce a mobs attack power by up to 125!).

I'm pretty much just about as geared as I can be, so just waiting for some more people in the guild to get to where I need them and then we're gonna hit greenscale hard.

BigAT

I think I've decided I'm done with Rift. I've enjoyed my time with it and I think it's a fantastically made game, but I just don't have the desire to be playing an MMO at this point in my life. Without any real life friends of mine playing anymore (and an inability to transfer my character to the GAF server), there just isn't much tying me to the game right now.

Does anyone know of a reliable site or method to sell an account? I know Ebay tends to frown on that type of thing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BigAT said:
I think I've decided I'm done with Rift. I've enjoyed my time with it and I think it's a fantastically made game, but I just don't have the desire to be playing an MMO at this point in my life. Without any real life friends of mine playing anymore (and an inability to transfer my character to the GAF server), there just isn't much tying me to the game right now.

Does anyone know of a reliable site or method to sell an account? I know Ebay tends to frown on that type of thing.

You'll be much better just keeping the account in case you ever decide to play the game again.

It's hard to make money from selling MMORPGs items and accounts anymore unless you have a serious operation going. I doubt you will be able to get more than a few tens of dollars for an account with a normal level 50 character, especially in a game where you can get max level in less than 100 hours played.

Save yourself the time and headaches involved with trying to deal with eBay/PlayerAuctions and PayPal, where you have a high chance of getting payment reversed.

BigAT

Zefah said:
You'll be much better just keeping the account in case you ever decide to play the game again.

It's hard to make money from selling MMORPGs items and accounts anymore unless you have a serious operation going. I doubt you will be able to get more than a few tens of dollars for an account with a normal level 50 character, especially in a game where you can get max level in less than 100 hours played.

Save yourself the time and headaches involved with trying to deal with eBay/PlayerAuctions and PayPal, where you have a high chance of getting payment reversed.
I appreciate that, but my Warrior is actually pretty impressively set. Enough gear to tank up to and into Greenscale, as well as a set of DPS gear (including a 43 DPS 2-hander from GSB) that puts me at #1 or 2 in DPS for our raid of nearly every encounter GSB. Add in three 300 level tradeskills, a level 50 mount, and 150+ in platinum and I feel like it stands out enough to sell for a reasonable amount. I'm not expecting a huge amount, but at this point I'm looking to get what I can since I know I'm done.

K.Sabot

Is it just me, or does every melee/ranged non magic class the equivalent of a WoW Combat rogue?
All I do on these classes are:
1. Mash 1
2. Gain combo points
3. Blow combo points on finisher.

Don't know If I can make it past month one. I was pretty excited about all the classes until I found they all have the same mechanic.

gogojira

K.Sabot said:
Is it just me, or does every melee/ranged non magic class the equivalent of a WoW Combat rogue?
1. Mash 1
2. Gain combo points

Don't know If I can make it past month one. I was pretty excited about all the classes until I found they all have the same mechanic.

I canceled after the first month for a variety of reasons but for some reason I talked myself into resubbing for another month about a week after my time ended. Stupid move. Leveled up to 39 and I'm completely tired of it again and remembering all the reasons I quit.

To each their own, but I just can't get into this fucking game. Now I'm stuck with 20 something days of game time I'll never use and a wasted $15 that could've scored me a Steam game, dinner, or something else that would have been far more satisfying in the end.

Amneisac

gogojira said:
I canceled after the first month for a variety of reasons but for some reason I talked myself into resubbing for another month about a week after my time ended. Stupid move. Leveled up to 39 and I'm completely tired of it again and remembering all the reasons I quit.

To each their own, but I just can't get into this fucking game. Now I'm stuck with 20 something days of game time I'll never use and a wasted $15 that could've scored me a Steam game, dinner, or something else that would have been far more satisfying in the end.

Do you work in a coal mine for $1 a day or something?

Chrange

Banned
K.Sabot said:
1. Mash 1
2. Gain combo points

Did you macro all your reactionary and cooldown skills onto one key or something?

If all you're doing is hitting one button then finisher, you're missing out on a whole lot else your class can do...regardless of which melee class you are.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really hate how the combo system works for Rogues. It's just not fun, imo.

Points being persistent, like they are for Warriors, would make it more enjoyable.

So, I've been playing this with my buddy, me being a 25 cleric, and him as a 25 rogue, and I just like the hell out of this game. I was really bored of WoW, and had an 85 druid with like a 447 ilvl or something at the time, but I just couldn't bring myself to play it anymore, so I eventually quit. For some reason this game just feels better to me.

I don't know if it's the graphics, or Rifts, or maybe something else that I can't quite put my finger on, but I'm having a blast playin this with my buddy. Well, actually it could be because we are able to quest together, and still level up at a decent rate unlike WoW where it was kind of pointless to. I might get bored of it later, but damn, the fun I'm getting from this game is worth the $35 I paid to buy it. I plan to continue my sub until I get burnt out on it.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get back into MMOs, and I've been playing them for years since UO, and EQ, but good thing I know it was just WoW that was making me bored, not the MMO genre.

Zefah said:

Points being persistent, like they are for Warriors, would make it more enjoyable.
When grinding things one at a time it can get tedious yeah, but when my girlfriend and I play we frequently find ourselves in troublesome situations. That's where I find my rogue's abilities make a real impact on my own survivability, as well as the outcome of a bad situation. Obviously that's not to slight her mage's ability to murder NPCs of course. :)

In situations like that I can give us some extra seconds of mezzed mobs, or disarm one attacking her while moving on to something else, sick my ranger piggy on something else, do AOE DOTs, etc. Lots of options, and getting good at them seems to make my rogue into a meat grinder at times where in other games I'd be just dead.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Winterblink said:
When grinding things one at a time it can get tedious yeah, but when my girlfriend and I play we frequently find ourselves in troublesome situations. That's where I find my rogue's abilities make a real impact on my own survivability, as well as the outcome of a bad situation. Obviously that's not to slight her mage's ability to murder NPCs of course. :)

In situations like that I can give us some extra seconds of mezzed mobs, or disarm one attacking her while moving on to something else, sick my ranger piggy on something else, do AOE DOTs, etc. Lots of options, and getting good at them seems to make my rogue into a meat grinder at times where in other games I'd be just dead.

What really annoys me is how the point system is on a per-mob basis, and if you switch targets, you will lose all of your points, even if you switch back.

Zefah said:
What really annoys me is how the point system is on a per-mob basis, and if you switch targets, you will lose all of your points, even if you switch back.
Yeah, that bit is annoying I suppose. Though I think as long as you don't land an attack on the mob your points remain. I've tabbed off by accident and come back to a mob with my points intact before.

1stStrike

Banned
Zefah said:

They do kind of solve this on the riftstalker where you can transfer your CP from one mob to another (Planar Switch). The ability itself even generates one CP and is off the GCD.

If I need to swap from one mob to another I'll usually just use a finisher to consume my built up CP and then tab to the next so that it's not wasted. Especially as nightblade I never find any battle that I can't adapt to and there's more to it then simply button mashing.

So is everyone in the game freaking 50 or something? Even with the server pop at "high", the zones all seem empty. In the 30's now and there is no one ever around, no one is ever doing rifts, the invasions are much more rare as well as the big invasions due to lower pops. Outside of the starting zone and such, it seems like everything else has become a ghost town.

gogojira

Amneisac said:
Do you work in a coal mine for $1 a day or something?

Let me break it down for you: In my eyes, the game ain't worth the $15 to play. I know this may hurt your feelings, but I'd rather not piss away any amount of money for a game I'll never play.

That better for you?

Izayoi

Banned
Has this game changed at all since the beta?

I played it and just could not enjoy it. It takes a lot of the good elements from previous MMOs and put them together and that's fine, but it does nothing new or unique and maybe it was just me but it seemed like there was too much redundancy. It seems like I had five skills that did exactly the same thing and there was no point in really having them. Why put them in? I just couldn't understand why by level 15 I had nearly two full bars of skills.

The graphics were technically impressive but the art style I found to be very lacking and bland. I just could not get into the game.

Belfast

Izayoi said:

I played it and just could not enjoy it. It takes a lot of the good elements from previous MMOs and put them together and that's fine, but it does nothing new or unique and maybe it was just me but it seemed like there was too much redundancy. It seems like I had five skills that did exactly the same thing and there was no point in really having them. Why put them in? I just couldn't understand why by level 15 I had nearly two full bars of skills.

The graphics were technically impressive but the art style I found to be very lacking and bland. I just could not get into the game.

You're given a lot of skills because of the various possibilities available to you when setting up your souls. Frequently, two trees will give you a few similar skills, but that's because you might not always be using those two trees in your setup. In other words, "common" role abilities, like being able to Stealth, will show up in several different trees (though with different names) so that you have more build flexibility.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Izayoi said:

Especially with Warriors and Rogues, there are a lot of overlapping skills. Unfortunately, Trion designed the game so that every single PvE soul is be able to solo up to max level by itself. This means that early talents of all souls are more or less the same with some slight differences. Every soul needs a few damaging attacks that build combo points and a finisher, etc...

Clerics probably the most versatility in that they have three mainly healing focused trees, two ranged damage dealing trees, two melee damage dealing trees, and one tanking-focused tree.

I think the system would have been a lot more interesting if the souls were more focused, soloability be damned.

Einbroch

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
So is everyone in the game freaking 50 or something? Even with the server pop at "high", the zones all seem empty. In the 30's now and there is no one ever around, no one is ever doing rifts, the invasions are much more rare as well as the big invasions due to lower pops. Outside of the starting zone and such, it seems like everything else has become a ghost town.

It has to be a lie. Medium and there were like maybe 50 people in the main city, no one running instances, and trade/general chat quiet as a mouse. Theyre saying the servers are populated when everyone can see theyre not.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BattleMonkey said:

It's another WoW style game. Shit gets boring once you've hit max level and done some of the end game content. I can't blame people for not logging in. Unless you have a set crew of people you know that can tear up content, it gets pretty boring trying to PUG expert dungeons after you've done a few. Instanced PvP is just annoying and turns into a massive grind if you actually want to get items from it. Tradeskilling is just a matter of collecting the right resources and grinding daily quests for faction or tradeskill currency to buy certain recipes.

That's the problem with non-sandbox games that severely limit player interaction and have tons of instanced content. Shit gets boring after you've done it once, because, for the most part, the experience is the same every time.

Once you hit 50, the game turns into a massive grind of doing the same things over and over again.

Amneisac

gogojira said:
Let me break it down for you: In my eyes, the game ain't worth the $15 to play. I know this may hurt your feelings, but I'd rather not piss away any amount of money for a game I'll never play.

That better for you?

Hey, I wasn't defending the game, just trying to put $15 into perspective for you. I quit playing during my free month. Just skip a trip to Taco Bell this month and you'll be even.

BigAT

Amneisac said:
Hey, I wasn't defending the game, just trying to put $15 into perspective for you. I quit playing during my free month. Just skip a trip to Taco Bell this month and you'll be even.
Is it even possible for a single person to spend $15 at Taco Bell? I feel like I'm going to die after eating $5 worth of its fantastic goodness.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
snackattack said:
oh goodie. yet another WoW clone. pthpppppp

This is what you came in to contribute to an official thread months after the game's release? You'll last long...

1stStrike

Banned
Zefah said:
This is what you came in to contribute to an official thread months after the game's release? You'll last long...

*shrug* Trolls will be trolls.

It's unfortunate that not everyone enjoyed the game as much as I have, and am, enjoying it, but things have evened out now, the quitters have all left and those of us that remain are running experts, doing expert/raid rifts and getting ready to take down greenscale. We're not progressing as fast as some other guilds, but that's because we have a mix of casual and hardcore amongst us which I'm OK with.

Our next greenscale raid is on the week of the 25th and I'm hoping we'll be able to at least get Prince Hylas down, if not Greenscale himself.

gogojira

Amneisac said:

Your posts are brilliant and not at all completely moronic.

But back on the topic, yeah, still no urge to play this game. It's cool that people are digging an MMO that isn't WoW, there's just something that feels so artificial about Telara. And the rift shit wore on my by around level 25 or so. That's not good for a game called Rift.

Domstercool

Phase 2 and its 2 million hp bosses invading my Freemarch!

2011-04-16_1501014udy.jpg

Ricker

Damn I was in,then they did a small maintenance for the event and now i`m in a 1 hour queue,which is about the time it takes for the event...at least I made the Euro event this morning.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey guys I'm on the look for a new mmo. Guild wars 2 seems ages away and Tera refuses to not be korean.

How is rift? ( I've glanced over review but nowadays I don't put any weight on reviews written by sites/mags ). I tried to get back into wow sometime last year or something and it wasn't possible. I'm looking for something that simply feels fresh.

What does gaf in general think?

Thanks

Eric WK

Corky said:
Hey guys I'm on the look for a new mmo. Guild wars 2 seems ages away and Tera refuses to not be korean.

How is rift? ( I've glanced over review but nowadays I don't put any weight on reviews written by sites/mags ). I tried to get back into wow sometime last year or something and it wasn't possible. I'm looking for something that simply feels fresh.

Thanks

I just started an account today and I'm liking it so far. Granted, that's only an hour in. It's very similar to Warcraft in a lot of ways (mostly good), but the ways in which it differentiates itself are great. Someone who's been playing for longer can probably answer your post in more depth, but I can see myself casually enjoying this very much until Guild Wars 2 comes out.

Corky

Eric WK said:
I just started an account today and I'm liking it so far. Granted, that's only an hour in. It's very similar to Warcraft in a lot of ways (mostly good), but the ways in which it differentiates itself are great. Someone who's been playing for longer can probably answer your post in more depth, but I can see myself casually enjoying this very much until Guild Wars 2 comes out.

Oh good to hear, I too am looking for a game/mmo that I can casually spend hours into. I guess the mmomarket isn't really thriving.

Corky said:

Thanks

The gameplay itself and many aspects of the game are basically just lifed off from WoW. The dynamic content is unique and fun aspect, and it has it's own unique art style, but if you are looking for something completely different from WoW, then you probably want to stay away.

1stStrike

Banned
Corky said:

Thanks

Still loving the game. The guild that we started on here is also still going strong and is growing notoriety on the server (in a good way).

I've already said everything I have to say about the game in this thread, but it's really a rewarding experience over all. Greenscale is awesome - you walk in and a hedge maze rises out of the ground and you need to find your way to the boss. We're going to be tackling Greenscale's Blight in earnest next week so I'll post more updates/screenshots when we get to that.

Corky

1stStrike said:
Still loving the game. The guild that we started on here is also still going strong and is growing notoriety on the server (in a good way).

I've already said everything I have to say about the game in this thread, but it's really a rewarding experience over all. Greenscale is awesome - you walk in and a hedge maze rises out of the ground and you need to find your way to the boss. We're going to be tackling Greenscale's Blight in earnest next week so I'll post more updates/screenshots when we get to that.

You know what, fuck it I'm taking the plunge. So what's the rites of passage for becoming member of the gafguild?
edit : nvm found all the info on the first thread.

Corky

While I'm downloading the game on steam now I thought crossed my mind, re gafguild:

" The server of choice for Lotus Cross is Belmont on the Defiant side. For invites, message Elvirnith or Blackheim in-game. "

Is it possible for me, living in europe, to play on this "Belmont" realm?

1stStrike

Banned
Corky said:
While I'm downloading the game on steam now I thought crossed my mind, re gafguild:

" The server of choice for Lotus Cross is Belmont on the Defiant side. For invites, message Elvirnith or Blackheim in-game. "

Is it possible for me, living in europe, to play on this "Belmont" realm?

Yep. You just change your region to North America. We have one guy in the guild who plays on both the US and the Euro servers.

Corky

1stStrike said:
Yep. You just change your region to North America. We have one guy in the guild who plays on both the US and the Euro servers.

Oh cool :D,

Corky

Well this is a big shitmoment...

Trying to create an account in their site is like preform brainsurgery with boxinggloves...

1) When offered subscription plan you're supposed to be able to press "cancel" right? And just play with the 30 day free? But even here the site would just fucking die as soon as I pressed "cancel" but ooh boy did it work when I choose different subscription plans...

2) Why can't I click the verification link sent to my email? Is the site that slow? No matter how long it takes it doesn't seem to go through.

ffs.

edit : and now I managed to kill the entire account website :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sniper McBlaze said:
Is there any way for me to get a trial on a european server or do I need to buy it to try it?

Euro and US servers are all run by Trion, so if you have the game, you will have access to both (you just have to change a setting in the patcher program to access one or the other). There still aren't any trial options, but a few weeks ago they did send subscribers codes that they could give to their friends to participate in a weekend trial event. It was only for the weekend, though, so there aren't any ways to try before you buy at the moment.

nataku

The 1.2 patch notes have been up in the official forums for a few days now and they have some pretty nice changes, a couple of which are appearance slots and a 5th soul role. They're also adding a LFG system, but they haven't really released details of it yet. The only mention of it even being in 1.2 was on Massively.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?172352-PTS-1.2-Patch-Notes-4-22-11-In-Progress&p=2222559&viewfull=1

I ended up switching from Rogue to Mage and I'm glad I did because I'm enjoying the game a lot more with a bunch of different soul combos instead of just Bard. The 5th role is welcome because I had more than four roles I wanted to play with.

BrettWeir

1.2 doesn't look to promising for me, and forum feedback pretty much says the same thing. I'm a PR5 rogue that mains MM for PvP. The MM notes don't seem like enough.

Now, I'm not saying I should be able to 1 shot people like Pyromancer's (fuck I hope they get nerfed hard), but having to build up 5 combo points (that only remain on target) to get off a finisher that crits maxing out at 1600, while regular combo builders hit for less than 300 is stupid. There isn't a single class that the rogue class does better than.

Chloro > bard
Mage > Ranger/MM
Cleric > uh...
Warrior > Riftstalker / Nightblade / Assassin in DPS, survivability, and aggro management

Sure, rogues can fill some of those roles such as Riftstalker for instances, just other classes do it better.

1.2 seems to be helping assassins, but it feels as if Trion is pigeon-holing rogues into melee for PvP, which isn't my play style.

The Appearance tab is nice, as I feel a lot of lower level items have more flair than raid and PvP gear. Pretty shoddy art department imo.

5th soul slot? What the? Crazy how people think 4 is not enough. Hell, 3 is enough.

Now if I could only get a race respec :(

eclipze

BrettWeir said:
5th soul slot? What the? Crazy how people think 4 is not enough. Hell, 3 is enough.

Now if I could only get a race respec :(

I'm actually looking forward to the 5th slot. Already running 4 specs (Chloro/Necrolock/Necrocaller/EleStorm) and want one just for testing new builds.

Top Bottom