• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Effect

I've been enjoying the game, and thankfully I didn't pay full price for it due to Amazon.com but I won't be continuing past the free month which is about to end. I like the game but the thrill is gone for the most part. Might play in the future as I have no major issues with the game. So I'll keep it installed but at the moment I think I'm also just tired of MMOs. That and I could use the extra $15 toward something else for the time being.

I've also been playing offline RPGs more like Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy XIII, and even Monster Hunter Tri and I've simply been having more fun. Not the same as they're aren't other players running around but more satisfying overall. I've know for a while I have been in a burnout in regards to MMOs but some games just keep pulling me in but only for a little while. Rift was the latest. Maybe I just need to accept MMOs no longer grab me the way they did when I originally played EQ1, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, and Everquest 2 (the last MMO where I lasted for several months and not just the free month). Fun still but not enough to keep me playing month after month even though I might want to at times.

Rift is very polished and I enjoyed all the content I played through but it just didn't connect with me. Having completed all the content available up to level 15, I have experienced a lot of what Rift has to offer and I can safely say that this is not a game I want to play long term.

Thanks for the Ally event invites GAF and enjoy the game!

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Rift is very polished and I enjoyed all the content I played through but it just didn't connect with me. Having completed all the content available up to level 15, I have experienced a lot of what Rift has to offer and I can safely say that this is not a game I want to play long term.

Thanks for the Ally event invites GAF and enjoy the game!

Ehh... there is still a lot of content in the game you haven't seen at level 15.

Heck, even gameplay mechanics.

However, if your problem with the game is structural - then, yeah, I can see it being futile to stick around.

Soroc

Looks like I'm in for awhile. Hit 15 last night on my Chloro/Lock and didn't want to stop. Bought the game and subbed. Just about to hit 19 now. Really liking everything the game has to offer and it really is a very pretty game and very polished. I've only run into maybe 1 or 2 quest bugs and they've only been on daily quests.

Gonna take a shot at how the dungeons are now. Feeling pretty comfy to heal a dungeon now with the skills I have.

Will /w someone from the GAF guild a little later today :)

Leatherface

So I have a few questions.

1. I played the game up to 15 and didn't realize the trial won't let you earn XP past that. I did a crap load of quests and received no XP before realizing this. If I buy the game will I somehow get all this XP back that it's been withholding? /hope

2. What is the best way to buy this right now? Is there a special version I should get (special items sales etc.)?

3. Are there any disadvantages to buying through steam (updating etc)? If I don't buy through steam can I register another copy in steam? I think I'd like to avoid downloading this again if I can.

4. What are the GAF servers / guilds right now (I'm playing defiant)?

Leatherface said:
So I have a few questions.

1. I played the game up to 15 and didn't realize the trial won't let you earn XP past that. I did a crap load of quests and received no XP before realizing this. If I buy the game will I somehow get all this XP back that it's been withholding? /hope

2. What is the best way to buy this right now? Is there a special version I should get (special items sales etc.)?

3. Are there any disadvantages to buying through steam (updating etc)? If I don't buy through steam can I register another copy in steam? I think I'd like to avoid downloading this again if I can.

4. What are the GAF servers / guilds right now (I'm playing defiant)?

1. No idea, but I dont think it does

2. The special edition gives you 4 more slots to your main bag and a turtle mount you can use at level 1, also a rune to put on your weapon, they arent needed but helps just a tad.

3.I have steam version and there is no difference between it and the normal pc retail, I dont think you can activate a retail one with steam.

4.A majrity of gaf is on Belmont as Defiants.

CAW

Running on the trial atm, not sure if i can join the guild or not with a trial account. Anyway, character name is: Molson (Belmont/Defiant).

Having a lot of fun so far!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Leatherface said:

There is no major advantage or disadvantage to buying through Steam, all the patching is done when you boot up the game launcher, so Amazon's $40 deal is your best option. I bought it through Amazon and I had no issues with it (aside from not knowing where to find my activation key).

You can upgrade at any time to the Collectors edition for $10, but it's not really worth it unless you want a mount right away.

Game is $35 on Amazon, instead of $40 ATM. I'm really thinking of buying this in the morning, having a pretty good time on it with my warrior.

1stStrike

Banned
Kintaro said:
Any lvl 50 DPS warriors playing this? How has the patch treated you?

Warriors still seem to be doing great DPS. I've grouped with quite a few that can top anything I can put out as a rogue.

BigAT

Kintaro said:
Any lvl 50 DPS warriors playing this? How has the patch treated you?
It's certainly a bit lower than pre-patch, but I'm still #1 or 2 on the meters every single fight for my guild during Greenscale. The only person that ever beats me is also a warrior. I did change my build though after the patch to have a bit more Paragon and less BM.

LowParry

I think I've come to a barrier of my MMOing. Though I really do regret not rolling with GAF on this because it sounds that everyone is going the pace that I wanted to go with to start. But I blame myself. For setting myself up for playing to casual with random people I hardly knew, though there were friends. Rerolling is an option but I really don't want to start from scratch again. Too bad I can't server transfer. I love my rogue though. But I think it comes down to me just breaking from MMOs for a bit. I'm looking forward to hearing about GAFs raiding progress here on Rift. And look forward to playing with those that will be playing ToR.

CcrooK said:
I think I've come to a barrier of my MMOing.

I have noticed this about myself too. Playing Rift during the first month was great, the game is awesome and there is nothing wrong with it at all. I am just burned out on MMOs after spending years with WoW and other various MMOs that came out. I will continue to stay informed of what is going on in Rift but I think it is time to take a break from MMOs and get that back log of games beat.

I think maybe being so similar to other MMO features is a bitter sweet thing for Rift. You want a game that is combining everything you like in previous MMOs but you also have done all of it before and the game becomes dull.

Sappy113

So bought the game after this trial. I have been taking a break from MMOs for years after playing WoW obsessively pretty much. Did me much good. I have the urge to MMO it up again, I want my character to progress and theorycraft a bit, but I'm not getting hung up over it too much. Just having fun. Rift is actually a really good MMO. Sure, most of it is WoW re-done, but still feels fresh.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fourman said:
I have noticed this about myself too. Playing Rift during the first month was great, the game is awesome and there is nothing wrong with it at all. I am just burned out on MMOs after spending years with WoW and other various MMOs that came out. I will continue to stay informed of what is going on in Rift but I think it is time to take a break from MMOs and get that back log of games beat.

I think maybe being so similar to other MMO features is a bitter sweet thing for Rift. You want a game that is combining everything you like in previous MMOs but you also have done all of it before and the game becomes dull.

Same here. Worse, I raid 3 nights a week in WoW currently. I should probably give that up...

Grampasso

I'm sure someone else asked this before but searching for it would be a pain, is PvP avoidable at all? I really hate it, so if I can avoid it I can give this game a go, otherwise is a no-buy for me (in particular, is the Belmont server PvP oriented?)

Effect

Grampasso said:
I'm sure someone else asked this before but searching for it would be a pain, is PvP avoidable at all? I really hate it, so if I can avoid it I can give this game a go, otherwise is a no-buy for me (in particular, is the Belmont server PvP oriented?)

On the PvE servers I believe it is. Belmont is PvE. You have to flag yourself but if you attack someone that is flagged you become flagged temporarily. Granted I haven't made it to some of the higher areas so don't know if some are them are PvP areas. The warfronts are like the battlegrounds in World of Warcraft, Scenarios in Warhammer Online, and the battlegrounds in Dark Age of Camelot. Isolated but you can choose to enter them.

In the mid levels now and the game quests have really gone to shit. The game started great with lot of interesting things in the early parts but getting midway and it's just gotten so repetitive with the usual grindy MMO quests. If it wasn't for the dynamic stuff I think I would surely quit, but even that seems to be getting repetitive to me as it really is just the same thing over and over again with a different coat of paint, the slight randomness to it and the world helps keep it fresh a bit though.

Grampasso

Effect said:
On the PvE servers I believe it is. Belmont is PvE. You have to flag yourself but if you attack someone that is flagged you become flagged temporarily. Granted I haven't made it to some of the higher areas so don't know if some are them are PvP areas. The warfronts are like the battlegrounds in World of Warcraft, Scenarios in Warhammer Online, and the battlegrounds in Dark Age of Camelot. Isolated but you can choose to enter them.
Thanks, I can deal with this as long as people can't mess up with me if I don't want them to. I'll probably try it as soon as I have DSL connection at home.

Well my journey in Rift has ended at level 35.

I had a lot of fun, but the CC in PvP has killed the fun for me. Especially as a mage I get CCed immediatly and can then just watch some guy hammer me to death. Lower level PvP was a lot more fun.

The quests have been very grindy the last 5 levels and the L30 instance was a bit of a letdown (two previous ones I liked). Too easy and looked like shit TBH.

It has been fun, but it is not a game that can keep me busy for longer than a month. I will probably return a few times when interesting new content is out but with GW2, W40K and possible Star Wars MMOs around the corner I think it might never happen.

Back to LOTRO (Or maybe WAR).

Effect

I have noticed things becoming very grind like. That's the case with all MMOs though. Part of why I'm not continuing on. I just don't have patience for that anymore I guess. The rifts opening broke a lot of that up but as I venture further away from the starting region and as others level up more and push out further those have become less fun since there aren't as many people around since I'm not playing as much. That has become very routine though and is no longer exciting. Overall the game is solid as I said. The lore is interesting. Just not enough to keep me paying consistently.

I just wish this much effort or some of it would be put into a single player game. I want to see if I can get to the mid or high 20s (21 one now I think) before my time is up. Have a few days left.

Prissy

Banned
Sorry for the noobness.. but what's the difference between PvE and PvP in Rift? Because can't you also do PvP in Rift's PvE? Which one did you guys picked? PvE or PvP?

I am still struggling if I should buy this game as I just mastered SC2 and the game is really getting no where until the next expansion is out. I've never played any MMORPGs in my life. I heard from a friend that I will need to have more real life friends playing together to make Rift fun, wouldn't joining a guild makes it up?

Also, I've been reading a lot of bad reviews about it's end game on the official Rift forum. Lot's of people thinks that it's our of contents and seems repetitive and ended up quiting Rift. What do you think?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
NemesisPrime said:
Well my journey in Rift has ended at level 35.

I had a lot of fun, but the CC in PvP has killed the fun for me. Especially as a mage I get CCed immediatly and can then just watch some guy hammer me to death. Lower level PvP was a lot more fun.

The quests have been very grindy the last 5 levels and the L30 instance was a bit of a letdown (two previous ones I liked). Too easy and looked like shit TBH.

It has been fun, but it is not a game that can keep me busy for longer than a month. I will probably return a few times when interesting new content is out but with GW2, W40K and possible Star Wars MMOs around the corner I think it might never happen.

Back to LOTRO (Or maybe WAR).

Yup. Lower level PvP, when most players still don't have multiple stun, knockback, mesmerize, root, etc... skills is a lot more fun. I really think CC has no place in PvP. I'd be willing to accept it if there were only one or two support classes who had CC abilities at the cost of losing most of their DPS capabilities.

1stStrike

Banned
Prissy said:
Sorry for the noobness.. but what's the difference between PvE and PvP in Rift? Because can't you also do PvP in Rift's PvE? Which one did you guys picked? PvE or PvP?

I am still struggling if I should buy this game as I just mastered SC2 and the game is really getting no where until the next expansion is out. I've never played any MMORPGs in my life. I heard from a friend that I will need to have more real life friends playing together to make Rift fun, wouldn't joining a guild makes it up?

Also, I've been reading a lot of bad reviews about it's end game on the official Rift forum. Lot's of people thinks that it's our of contents and seems repetitive and ended up quiting Rift. What do you think?

In a PvE server you can permanently disable PvP flagging so nobody can attack you and you can't attack anyone else. On a PvP server everyone is open game. We play on a PvE server since most of us don't care for PvP.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BigAT said:
It's certainly a bit lower than pre-patch, but I'm still #1 or 2 on the meters every single fight for my guild during Greenscale. The only person that ever beats me is also a warrior. I did change my build though after the patch to have a bit more Paragon and less BM.

Dual Wield? 2h weapon?

Einbroch

Banned
I am also cancelling my Rift account for now. Been playing Spiral Knights. It's amazing, cheap, and supports a more casual playstyle. Reasons why I won't be playing:

- Fucking CC in PVP. It's WAY worse than WoW, it's borderline broken.
- Game doesn't run well on my PC. Not bad, but it's clearly not optimized.
- Great MMOs on the horizon: TERA, GW2, and ToR.
- Not enough time in the day to devote right now to a full-time MMO.

I had fun guys. Maybe I'll check it out again down the road!

Prissy

Banned
1stStrike said:
In a PvE server you can permanently disable PvP flagging so nobody can attack you and you can't attack anyone else. On a PvP server everyone is open game. We play on a PvE server since most of us don't care for PvP.
gotcha.. So I am guessing that most of people would pick the PvE server since the PvP is kinda messed up in RIFT?

1stStrike

Banned
Prissy said:
gotcha.. So I am guessing that most of people would pick the PvE server since the PvP is kinda messed up in RIFT?

PvP servers seem just as full. There's whiners in every MMO, but if you look at the server lists there's still a lot of pretty full servers all around.

Man, I really dig this game so far. I've been playing WoW since it came out, but as soon as I got 85 and did a few heroic instances, my motivation to gear up or even play the game completely went away. I didn't want to make a new character, I've already been through 1-80 a few times and I don't like PVP, so I just dropped the game.

I tried the trial of Rift over weekend and played with a buddy of mine, whom also left wow for Rift, and I must say that I had a blast. I expected the combat to be exactly like WoW, and while they are similar, it felt much faster and more deep. I'm already using like 5-6 skills at level 13 compared to my 85 Druid who uses around the same amount. I do really like the class system, although it's not as deep as I thought it was going to be when I heard about it. Either way, Rift is really immersive with the good graphics, but also the sound. I don't hardly say much about sound in games, but this truly has good music and sound effects that make me want to play it with my headphones.

I went ahead and bought the game from Amazon since it's only $35 currently, so even if I end up not liking it in later levels, it really didn't cost much. Hoping it will be able to get me back into MMOs, but overall I'm happy with it at the moment.

1stStrike

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Man, I really dig this game so far. I've been playing WoW since it came out, but as soon as I got 85 and did a few heroic instances, my motivation to gear up or even play the game completely went away. I didn't want to make a new character, I've already been through 1-80 a few times and I don't like PVP, so I just dropped the game.

I tried the trial of Rift over weekend and played with a buddy of mine, whom also left wow for Rift, and I must say that I had a blast. I expected the combat to be exactly like WoW, and while they are similar, it felt much faster and more deep. I'm already using like 5-6 skills at level 13 compared to my 85 Druid who uses around the same amount. I do really like the class system, although it's not as deep as I thought it was going to be when I heard about it. Either way, Rift is really immersive with the good graphics, but also the sound. I don't hardly say much about sound in games, but this truly has good music and sound effects that make me want to play it with my headphones.

I went ahead and bought the game from Amazon since it's only $35 currently, so even if I end up not liking it in later levels, it really didn't cost much. Hoping it will be able to get me back into MMOs, but overall I'm happy with it at the moment.

Like any other MMO it's going to get a bit redundant while leveling up. Just be ready to pretty much be doing the same quests from 1 - 50. The rifts help a lot, but things really open up at 50. There's all kinds of different rifts that are themed, with actual mini stories, some really cool stuff (like a graveyard full of werewolves and it's a open world rift and can pop up anywhere) and expert dungeons and raids contain shit tons of content.

I've been 50 for a while now and I'm just now geared up to tank greenscale. I did DSM on expert for the first time today, and it was really awesome - the added bosses from normal present quite a challenge. There's definitely issues with the game still, but they're not anything huge (unless you're hardcore PvP I guess, but I don't give a shit about PvP) and all the expert dungeons are both challenging and fun. Like, we keep trying to defeat the last boss in one and after a couple of failed attempts finally prevailed with much celebrating on our end.

There's also the saga quests as well which begin in Meridian and span across the entire world, eventually ending in Greenscale (the first raid in the game).

The first month is over and some people are quitting, but it's like whatever, you always expect that in these games. In-game we're still going strong with 15 - 25 or so people online at peak times, though we have had some people quit that I really didn't expect (like Inorite and Darsh). That kinda saddened me.

Anyway, keep at it. I think you'll find it a refreshing change overall, especially once you hit 50.

Game has been kind of boring lately, full t1 and some t2 pieces and the only thing to do is pvp which is broken to be honest (to much imbalanced things) or more grinding of t2 dungeons but guardians seem to be dying off on my server, think I will take a break until the next major content patch hits.

Guardians on my server never run any kind of rifts normal or experts/raids =/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely unfortunate how little there is to do at 50 if you don't like doing PvP Warfronts over and over again.

Unless you have at least 2 or 3 hours to do an Expert instance, you may as well not even log on.

jersoc

GhostRidah said:
Game has been kind of boring lately, full t1 and some t2 pieces and the only thing to do is pvp which is broken to be honest (to much imbalanced things) or more grinding of t2 dungeons but guardians seem to be dying off on my server, think I will take a break until the next major content patch hits.

Guardians on my server never run any kind of rifts normal or experts/raids =/

wish i had this problem :|
they really need to hurry up with the DF. i can't run groups cause there is like no late night/early morning scene. quite a bummer really. basically do dailies and that's about it. not even any rifts or invasions to do at that time.

I like the game still, but it just sucks to play unless you're a first shift worker I guess.

I totally agree with pvp too. I'd love to pvp but it's just insane with the out of control CC. Also, they need to fucking fix healing and gaining points. It's so not worth it right now to heal.

1stStrike

Banned
Zefah said:
It's definitely unfortunate how little there is to do at 50 if you don't like doing PvP Warfronts over and over again.

Unless you have at least 2 or 3 hours to do an Expert instance, you may as well not even log on.

Most of the T1 experts can be done in 30 - 50 minutes. There's shortcuts in every instance and entire sections you can avoid. T2's are a bit longer. 2 - 3 hours is only if your group is terribad and wipes constantly.

usea

So I took the plunge with my girlfriend. We're gonna level together as warrior/cleric. She's going purifier/sentinel/warden. What should I choose? I was going to do paladin/warlord, but I'm worried that we won't have much dps. Any suggestions? During the free weekend I played mage, rogue and warrior to 15. I'm not by any means new to mmos, but we're going to try and enjoy ourselves this time instead of rushing to the cap and playing the min/max game.

Maybe I'll go champion/warlord, and have my healer go inquisitor/purifier?

BigAT

usea said:
So I took the plunge with my girlfriend. We're gonna level together as warrior/cleric. She's going purifier/sentinel/warden. What should I choose? I was going to do paladin/warlord, but I'm worried that we won't have much dps. Any suggestions? During the free weekend I played mage, rogue and warrior to 15. I'm not by any means new to mmos, but we're going to try and enjoy ourselves this time instead of rushing to the cap and playing the min/max game.

Maybe I'll go champion/warlord, and have my healer go inquisitor/purifier?
Strictly for leveling, I would go with Champion/Paragon or some sort of Riftblade spec (although I believe they've been nerfed a bit). Paladin and Warlord are both tanking souls that I can't imagine would be any good for leveling. By the time you get high enough to start your first dungeons (15-20 or so) you should be able to buy a second role that you can setup as a tanking spec.

glaurung

Received a free weekend voucher code.

So as to avoid lurker attacks, first five PMs get the code.

EU version, if that matters. Refer to this page for more information and to prepare by creating an account and downloading the client.

Amneisac

Going to cancel my sub I think, I bought the game a little late so I renew on the 16th. Got my rogue to 45.5. I actually really enjoyed the game, I blame myself more than anything wrong with Rift for wanting to take a break. I'm coming off a WoW bender and then a little FFXI, so I'm just kind of MMO'd out. I would definitely encourage people on the fence to check out the free weekend. It's a load of fun and I'm sure I'll be back.

1stStrike

Banned
Amneisac said:
Going to cancel my sub I think, I bought the game a little late so I renew on the 16th. Got my rogue to 45.5. I actually really enjoyed the game, I blame myself more than anything wrong with Rift for wanting to take a break. I'm coming off a WoW bender and then a little FFXI, so I'm just kind of MMO'd out. I would definitely encourage people on the fence to check out the free weekend. It's a load of fun and I'm sure I'll be back.

:| Looks like first month syndrome is just about over.

We're doing our first raid on greenscale tomorrow night. If anyone else is joining though, it seems that our clerics and mages are the lowest population in the guild currently. Could use more of both, but especially clerics. It seems like people either don't like playing clerics or flake out and quit the game and we're down to about 4 active lvl 50 clerics now, which is kind of bad.

1stStrike

Banned
We completed the first boss in Greenscale tonight. Took us several tries, but we got the hang of it and it was pretty awesome. Got two shard firsts, including a staff, ring and rogue hood, all really nice shit. I main tanked it - was some of the coolest first raid boss mechanics I've seen in a fight. Really good times.

Top Bottom