• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
BrettWeir said:
Warrior > Riftstalker / Nightblade / Assassin in DPS, survivability, and aggro management

Sure, rogues can fill some of those roles such as Riftstalker for instances, just other classes do it better.

5th soul slot? What the? Crazy how people think 4 is not enough. Hell, 3 is enough.

Wait, what? Have you ever actually tanked as a riftstalker? I've tanked every instance in the game, and Duke Letareus so far in Greenscale as a Riftstalker and I take significantly less damage then warrior or cleric tanks. Even on trash mobs you can pop side steps and take almost 0 damage for 15 seconds when the fight starts, which completely eliminates the squishy factor.

Rogues are the best single target tank as well - which means bosses. I was letting a geared cleric (full T2 gear) tank a mob last night and he was taking 3300 - 3600 damage hits. The same mob hits me for 2200 - 2300 damage. The lightning from Plutonus in DSM hits me for about 386 damage a tick - it hits a warrior in my guild, with 172 toughness and all purples - for 900~ a tick.

Really, you can't talk shit about riftstalkers since we're hands down the preferred tanking class on end-game bosses.

As for the DPS quibbles, I do 600 - 650 sustained DPS with 1k spike DPS self-buffed. Warriors do more. That's a known fact. However, 1.2 isn't here yet so I'll reserve judgement until that time, but I'm honestly fine with rogue DPS right now for the most part. They just need to fix the Bladedancer tree so that I can make my high speed rogue build effective - because as it stands right now the Bladedancer tree is all kinds of broken.

Also, you must not raid - because you need to be flexible in raids and be ready to change roles to suit the situation. If anything, 4 is not enough. I run 2 tank roles which means I have 2 soul slots left for 1 DPS build and my bard, so this 5th slot will give me a chance to have another DPS build.

BrettWeir

1stStrike said:
Wait, what? Have you ever actually tanked as a riftstalker? I've tanked every instance in the game, and Duke Letareus so far in Greenscale as a Riftstalker and I take significantly less damage then warrior or cleric tanks. Even on trash mobs you can pop side steps and take almost 0 damage for 15 seconds when the fight starts, which completely eliminates the squishy factor.

Rogues are the best single target tank as well - which means bosses. I was letting a geared cleric (full T2 gear) tank a mob last night and he was taking 3300 - 3600 damage hits. The same mob hits me for 2200 - 2300 damage. The lightning from Plutonus in DSM hits me for about 386 damage a tick - it hits a warrior in my guild, with 172 toughness and all purples - for 900~ a tick.

Really, you can't talk shit about riftstalkers since we're hands down the preferred tanking class on end-game bosses.

As for the DPS quibbles, I do 600 - 650 sustained DPS with 1k spike DPS self-buffed. Warriors do more. That's a known fact. However, 1.2 isn't here yet so I'll reserve judgement until that time, but I'm honestly fine with rogue DPS right now for the most part. They just need to fix the Bladedancer tree so that I can make my high speed rogue build effective - because as it stands right now the Bladedancer tree is all kinds of broken.

Also, you must not raid - because you need to be flexible in raids and be ready to change roles to suit the situation. If anything, 4 is not enough. I run 2 tank roles which means I have 2 soul slots left for 1 DPS build and my bard, so this 5th slot will give me a chance to have another DPS build.

As I said, I'm PR5. 99% of my game time is PvP. So most of my comments are PvP perspective.

As for instances, no. I've run a whopping 4 T1's lol. But of those, 3 were w a Riftstalker, 1 with a warrior. The warrior was 100x better, but maybe due to gear and experience.

On the flip side, you must not PvP much. Only 2 souls are viable (NB and Assassin), and mainly for 1v1. Ranged souls are pretty much trash...which reverts back to my post of mage > rogue. Riftstalkers and bladedancers are only used for escape tools in PvP.

As a MM I do manage to top a lot of dps charts, but its mainly due to surviving. Even with Fellblades, dps isn't enough to actually kill anyone like a mag, warrior, or cleric can.

Sorry, hit post, as my boss walked in as I was typing away on my phone....

1stStrike

Banned
BrettWeir said:
As I said, I'm PR5. 99% of my game time is PvP. So most of my comments are PvP perspective.

As for instances, no. I've run a whopping 4 T1's lol. But of those, 3 were w a Riftstalker, 1 with a warrior. The warrior was 100x better, but maybe due to gear and experience.

Sorry, hit post, as my boss walked in as I was typing away on my phone....

Yeah, I have PvP'd all of maybe 3 times since the game went live. Though, we're about to start organizing guild PvP days to do some pre-mades to bolster team work.

And, yeah, you definitely ran with a crappy riftstalker. Raid buffed I currently have 13.2k HP and I can tank anything.

Had a pretty annoying thing happen recently in the game. My girlfriend and I are happily going around trying to get achievements for the fun of it, one of them is a quest in Stillmore where you have to
fight a spirit version of yourself
. Fine so far.

She takes the quest and we do our thing, completing it. Since the quest only works for the person who activated it, I was fucked out of the actual point of the quest and thus didn't get the achievement, even though I ended up completing the quest.

Sent a note to a GM who not-very-helpfully suggested I run the Recovery option from the game's launcher. The fuck?

Anyway, we're both enjoying the game still after hitting 50 a week ago. We've been dipping into PVP, chasing down faction with allies for lewts and recipes, etc. SO much to do once you've "maxed".

1stStrike

Banned
Winterblink said:
Had a pretty annoying thing happen recently in the game. My girlfriend and I are happily going around trying to get achievements for the fun of it, one of them is a quest in Stillmore where you have to
fight a spirit version of yourself
. Fine so far.

She takes the quest and we do our thing, completing it. Since the quest only works for the person who activated it, I was fucked out of the actual point of the quest and thus didn't get the achievement, even though I ended up completing the quest.

Sent a note to a GM who not-very-helpfully suggested I run the Recovery option from the game's launcher. The fuck?

Anyway, we're both enjoying the game still after hitting 50 a week ago. We've been dipping into PVP, chasing down faction with allies for lewts and recipes, etc. SO much to do once you've "maxed".

That's not the first time I've heard of issues with that quest, unfortunately. But, yeah, once you hit 50 the game really takes off from that point. With two raids in the game now and a 10 man raid coming in the next patch, it'll be a long time before we run out of stuff to do.

I've also started a Folding@Home group for the guild. The #1 contributor each month will be gifted a steam game, so it's a bit of competition while contributing to science as well. I'll be giving away portal 2 to the first month's winner with the witcher 2 likely for the next month.

Alcool313

This is Alkrul from in game and I am asking the same question. I leave for a couple of days for Graduation and I come back and boom no guild, no website, no nothing. Can someone shed some light?

Babalu.

is there any kind of free trial for this? I played in the beta and felt there wasn't enough for me to buy it since I was waiting for tera and guild wars 2. But my little brother has come to stay live with me and my bf for a little while and I just found out he has been wanting to get back into WoW. (we used to play vanilla together).

Anyways, I told him about rift and he wants to try it out. I googled it and it seems there was a couple free weekends that we missed. Is there like, buddy codes or anything that give you a couple days to try it out? or will there be another free weekend coming?

If there is, are there any kind souls that could donate one for my little brother? Thanks.

and where is the cheapest place to buy this game? Have there been any discounts on it yet?

Scum

I've been away for a while. Very busy with a lot of stuff. Only logged on once or twice in the last few weeks, but what did I miss?

Where's Lotus Cross at? ;_;

Going to stay on till 1.2

Really interested in the cosmetic armor system since I hate the lack of visual variety in the armor sets and rather have some control over my look at least.

Also want to see how the changes to CC will affect the PVP, because the CC abilities completely have ruined the pvp for me. Never seen a MMO with so much CC.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BattleMonkey said:
Going to stay on till 1.2

Really interested in the cosmetic armor system since I hate the lack of visual variety in the armor sets and rather have some control over my look at least.

Also want to see how the changes to CC will affect the PVP, because the CC abilities completely have ruined the pvp for me. Never seen a MMO with so much CC.

Are these detailed anywhere? I am subbed until September or so, but haven't played the game for about a month or so.

Zefah said:
Are these detailed anywhere? I am subbed until September or so, but haven't played the game for about a month or so.

Don't have the link but the PTS forum has the updated patch notes. Basically if you get hit with a CC ability while under the influence of one, it reduces it's effect by 50%, and then you are immune for a bit to similar abilities or such. They recently made some more changes to it I think.

BattleMonkey said:
You could use dye's - there's a huge difference between brown pants and shoes and purple pants with green shoes :)

Eric WK

KuGsj.gif

Glad I rolled with Goon Squad instead.

Concept17

Love this game. I started in lotus cross but had a good friend of mine join up on another server (someone bought him the game so he had to play there) and was leveling nicely with a warrior. He hit 50 and kind of stopped...then him and some other friends joined another server on Guardian... so I don't know wtf to do. I like the game but starting over for the 4th time would suck. =\

nataku

I decided to take a bit of a break until 1.2 hits. I know it won't change anything, but I spent the last week looking for a group for Runic Descent, an hour and a half a day, and couldn't find a single person running it, let alone a full group to do it with. I spent over nearly 5 hours off and on Saturday and still couldn't find a group.

If I still can't find one then I guess I'll just skip dungeons until 50.

Babalu.

Babalu. said:
is there any kind of free trial for this? I played in the beta and felt there wasn't enough for me to buy it since I was waiting for tera and guild wars 2. But my little brother has come to stay live with me and my bf for a little while and I just found out he has been wanting to get back into WoW. (we used to play vanilla together).

Anyways, I told him about rift and he wants to try it out. I googled it and it seems there was a couple free weekends that we missed. Is there like, buddy codes or anything that give you a couple days to try it out? or will there be another free weekend coming?

If there is, are there any kind souls that could donate one for my little brother? Thanks.

and where is the cheapest place to buy this game? Have there been any discounts on it yet?

any help?

Einbroch

Banned
Got back into it, rerolled in Briarcliff. Holy crap it is active as hell. Loving the game now that I'm actually playing with a lot of people.

nataku

1.2 just hit today. For some reason Trion thought it would be a good idea to exclude epic quests from the LFG tool. I can only use the tool to look for a group for quests specifically marked "Group".

Did anyone ever find out what happened to the GAF guild? Why it was disbanded suddenly?

Ricker

nataku said:
1.2 just hit today. For some reason Trion thought it would be a good idea to exclude epic quests from the LFG tool. I can only use the tool to look for a group for quests specifically marked "Group".

Did anyone ever find out what happened to the GAF guild? Why it was disbanded suddenly?

Nope...I even searched for some names in game,like Pipster who was on almost 24/7 ;) and it said it doesn`t exist....1stStrike just stopped posting here also since so I`m not sure what happened,we will probably never know...your guess is as good as mine(could be personal real life stuff,etc etc...)

Fezan

Just started downloading the client for free 7 days trail!!
what should i expect from the game.wil be my first MMorpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1stStrike was the only one keeping the thread going, but he apparently disbanded the GAF guild and mysteriously disappeared. I subbed for 6 months, but got bored of it and haven't played for a while. I'm still keeping an eye on the game, though.

Hawk269

Fortunately, the servers still seem pretty active. I was also in Lotus Cross, but stopped playing for about 2 weeks due to work and building a new computer..came back and guild was gone...so who knows.

Decided to start a new character on the Guardian side and really liking the other side of the world so far. Since I am not too far and it appears that the guild is gone, I might re-roll on another server.

Any recommendations?

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Eric WK said:
If people are interested in a trial and want to help some players get the referral rewards, I suppose we could post our links. Here's mine.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/ascend-a-friend/invite.php?voucher=G62ZEMEHKWMMWQ2PRXKY&utm_source=manual&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ascend_invite
Thank you.

Been curious to try Rift out, I doubt it'll be able to lure me away from WOW but it'll be nice at the very least to see how my PC can handle a more modern game.

Zinga

Banned
I am playing Rift now, bought the game last week and its been a blast so far! if you want to play an MMO that isn't WoW, this is the one at the moment :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Izayoi said:
Has anything at all changed from the beta or should I not bother with the trial?

Lots of things have changed, but what was your biggest problem with the game?

Effect

Think I'm going to give the game another shot. I kept it installed so thankfully I won't have to redownload it again as I got the digital version. Fear of doing that for WoW is what keeps that installed as well since the last two expansions for that were download based. Trying to decide if I should start over or just continue with my characters. Is the GAF server still populated?

How is the population in general for the game? Did it experience a massive drop off after the first month or has it been doing well?

Amneisac

Be aware, this $9.99 Father's Day sale DOES NOT INCLUDE gametime. That's borderline fraudulent for an MMO game, but whatever. Regular version is $24.99 on sale (which is obviously the same as the $10 and then $15 for the sub.

zsswimmer

Amneisac said:
Be aware, this $9.99 Father's Day sale DOES NOT INCLUDE gametime. That's borderline fraudulent for an MMO game, but whatever. Regular version is $24.99 on sale (which is obviously the same as the $10 and then $15 for the sub.
I think the $25 version, if youre talking about the Digital Upgrade Trial Version, also does not come with gameplay time, which is shitty either way you look at it. At least it was that way is was when I got an email after my trial ended

Valravn

Im still playing this. Leveling gets a bit tedious in mid 30's as a riftstalker/assassin rogue. So im trying out other builds. Dont like ranger, cause i prefer the more in your face and dagger in the back stabbing kind of rogue.

im still playing this...made a defiant player on Deepstrike which is a pretty populated server and I love all of the changes. I haven't played past the initial month when the game came out due to mmo fatigue but this game is just flat out fun.One thing I do enjoy si that there are tons of hotfixes so the devs are definitely staying on top of keeping the game interesting and playable

Top Bottom