• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

BrettWeir

With all the spec talk going around for end game, it seems almost everyone leaves out the PvP souls. Can't wait to see if infiltrator/assassin is where the assassin soul will shine.

Rapstah

Is there any way to actually download the client before the game launches? Steam is only letting me launch the launcher and the launcher isn't downloading the game, it'd suck to have to download the game for a couple of hours on Thursday.

I think i'm going to play a Bahmi Paladin/Warlord/Champion, I had a lot of fun with that combo in beta.

I am interesting in joining the Neogaf guild, as well.

1stStrike

Banned
Hi everyone,

It looks like there's a minor issue with the patcher at the moment. We think we have it tracked down and are working to set it right even as we speak. We will be updating here and on our social networks as the situation changes.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

For any other questions:

Head Start FAQ

When is Head Start?

Head Start begins Thursday, Feb. 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM PST (1800 GMT) and runs through launch (North America: Mar. 1 at 10:00 AM PST / Europe: Mar. 4 at 1600 GMT).

How do I get into Head Start?

Pre-order RIFT! All customers who pre-order RIFT from participating retailers will have access to Head Start. The retailer you pre-ordered from will provide a code to apply to your Trion Worlds account that grants access to Head Start. If you purchased the game directly from Trion Worlds, the code is automatically applied to your account.

I’ve pre-ordered RIFT, but I didn’t get a code. What should I do?

If you pre-ordered RIFT through our website, the pre-order code is already associated with your account, and you should only need to download the client and update for Head Start.

If you pre-ordered RIFT through a retailer and did not receive a pre-order code, please email Trion Customer Support with proof of purchase attached to the email and we will grant your account pre-order access.

I’ve pre-ordered RIFT. Where can I download the game?

If you’ve entered your pre-order code in your Trion Worlds account, or pre-ordered from Trion, you can find the link in your Trion Worlds account. You can also download the game here.

Steam™ & Amazon® download customers – If you’ve already downloaded the client from Steam or Amazon, there’s no need to download it again. Just make sure your game is patched!

Can I patch the RIFT beta client instead of downloading?

No. Be sure to uninstall the beta client before attempting to install RIFT.

When will I get my pre-order items?

During Head Start!

When will I get my Collector’s Edition items (backpack, pet, and mount)?

Those items are tied to your purchase of the Collector’s Edition, not a pre-order. They will be added to your account once you apply a Collector’s Edition key.

But we can't *really* download the game in advance, right? I mean, it won't give us the patch until the 24th, so we have to waste some hours then?

1stStrike

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
But we can't *really* download the game in advance, right? I mean, it won't give us the patch until the 24th, so we have to waste some hours then?

This should be the entire client, however there's always a good possibility that there will be another patch on the 24th. I always download their patches within like 20 seconds though.

1stStrike said:
This should be the entire client, however there's always a good possibility that there will be another patch on the 24th. I always download their patches within like 20 seconds though.
The "entire client" is 18MB - the 8GBs are delivered in a patch.

Weenerz

Banned
I ended up uninstalling the beta client, I hope we weren't supposed to upgrade that to retail via a patch or something.

1stStrike

Banned
Weenerz said:
I ended up uninstalling the beta client, I hope we weren't supposed to upgrade that to retail via a patch or something.

Negative. New download. Once the patcher is fixed you should be able to dl the whole client.

Weenerz said:

Nope.
Beta client is completely separate from the retail client.

Edit: So GAF, help me decide.
I want to main a support soul.
Archon or Bard?

Einbroch

Banned
I'm going Archon because apparently Bard is insanely popular. That and if I decide against it I'd rather be a caster than a rogue and won't have to reroll.

Einbroch said:
I'm going Archon because apparently Bard is insanely popular. That and if I decide against it I'd rather be a caster than a rogue and won't have to reroll.

This is what I was think, as well.
And a full Archon spec (up to 51 points) seems to have a lot of awesome stuff that most people will ignore because you aren't really healing and your DPS will be low.
Bard is a fun soul to use, but it seems pretty easy and like there would be too many as it is.
While Archon provides a nice challenge.

Einbroch

Banned
Do not level as Archon, though. It's one of the worst leveling specs in the game, period. You'll hardly ever die and you'll never run out of mana but you kill things so...slow...

1stStrike

Banned
Latest update:

We want to update you on the process of downloading the game client for Head Start. You may have found that you are able to download the patcher but have been unable to download the game itself. Don’t panic! Nothing is broken!

You will be able to start downloading the game client this evening. We will let you know here on the forums and on Facebook when it is ready. We will also be sending out emails to make sure you see when it’s all ready!”

LowParry

Buggy Loop said:
Argh, this is tempting, i havent played an MMO since warhammer and that was a while ago.

If you liked Warhammer, you'll like this a lot. Just a lot more complete with everything by the looks of it. Just no open RvR.

US Servers

Belmont PvE
Briarcliff PvP
Byriel PvE
Deepstrike PvP
Faeblight RP
Gnarlwood PvE
Greybriar PvE
Keenblade PvE
Lotham PvP
Reclaimer PvP
Seastone PvP
Shadefallen RP
Shatterbone PvE
Snarebrush PvP
Spitescar PvP
Sunrest PVP-RP
Wolfsbane PvE

So they trimmed the list a bit, but Belmont stayed.

TheExodu5

Banned
Briarcliff or Seastone Defiant for me.

CcrooK said:
If you liked Warhammer, you'll like this a lot. Just a lot more complete with everything by the looks of it. Just no open RvR.

And with a responsive combat system!

My biggest gripe with WAR was the fact that the combat system felt so horribly laggy.

LowParry

TheExodu5 said:
And with a responsive combat system!

My biggest gripe with WAR was the fact that the combat system felt so horribly laggy.

Very true. The funny thing about WAR was the fact that beta was more responsive than retail.

1stStrike

Banned
Big Papa Husker said:
Lotus Cross is PvE hm? Damn...

We've got no intention of going to a PvP server (at least as the guild, some individuals are doing both PvP and PvE or one or the other). After a terrible experience venturing into an EQII PvP server years ago I've had my fill of open world ganking.

Concept17

I'm kind of in awe at how smooth everything is going so far from beta, to open beta to launch. I know launch day isn't quite here, but everything seems to be running perfectly on schedule. Of course I didn't even know of this game 2 months ago. Kind of came out of nowhere for me, and the fact that the game feels so complete is just...astonishing.

Can't wait to get started.

TheExodu5

Banned
I would consider joining the Lotus Cross server, but in my experience, GAF guilds tend to last a week or two before 90% of the population quits.

TheExodu5 said:
I would consider joining the Lotus Cross server, but in my experience, GAF guilds tend to last a week or two before 90% of the population quits.

Happened on Warhawk even.
I'm still bummed about that.

1stStrike

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

*shrugs* I doubt many gaf guilds in the past have been as organized/dedicated as we are. I can't predict the future, but I really don't foresee the guild dying off with the group of people we have.

Buggy Loop said:
Dominator looks like the most annoying bastard on the battlefield.. thats an interesting class to me :D

Not a lot of people played them from what I could tell (I didn't see a lot of people being turned into squirrels in pvp).

But yeah they get some really cool abilities further up the tree. The one that makes transmogrify insta cast paired with the one that lowers the cooldown to 0 seconds seems pretty amazing. Also the mana drain will be fun if you ever fight another mage or cleric 1v1. Thought about playing one myself.

Wallach

Alright, I'm in for the Collector's. I'm pretty much fed up with DCUO already.

Still probably going to rock healer like I did through beta. Warden seems kind of OP compared to the other "main" healing souls, but I like Purifier's gimmick more. We'll see.

1stStrike

Banned
Wallach said:
Alright, I'm in for the Collector's. I'm pretty much fed up with DCUO already.

Still probably going to rock healer like I did through beta. Warden seems kind of OP compared to the other "main" healing souls, but I like Purifier's gimmick more. We'll see.

Awesome! The CE on this game is really worth it IMO. Much more so then many other games.

Also, for those interested, detailed loot system information is up.

We've settled on using a modified Zero Sum DKP model.

Ashodin

1stStrike said:
*shrugs* I doubt many gaf guilds in the past have been as organized/dedicated as we are. I can't predict the future, but I really don't foresee the guild dying off with the group of people we have.
There's also a decent bit of real life people playing that I know, so that should keep things moving.

And I think they kept Belmont because it was the most popular. The other names seem new or changed.

1stStrike

Banned
Maxrpg said:
There's also a decent bit of real life people playing that I know, so that should keep things moving.

And I think they kept Belmont because it was the most popular. The other names seem new or changed.

Castlevania :p

Wallach

1stStrike said:
Awesome! The CE on this game is really worth it IMO. Much more so then many other games.

Also, for those interested, detailed loot system information is up.

We've settled on using a modified Zero Sum DKP model.

It did seem like a decent deal, plus the D2D President's Day coupon still worked so it wasn't a hard choice to make. More bag space is always welcome.

Kind of excited to play it again as I really liked the last beta build, plus it will be nice to play an MMO that has a decent UI again.

Izayoi

Banned
If I wasn't so broke right now I would probably pre-order this. I really enjoyed the beta but I just can't afford anything right now with the 3DS right around the corner. Hopefully I'll be able to play it in the future. Have fun, guys!

Top Bottom