• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

nyong said:
I'm rolling PvP for sure. The way the soul system is set up, it's super-easy to have a World PvP travel build just to thwart would-be gankers. With the constant Rift events there's a reasonably good chance that people aren't going to hole-up in the cities too. Of all the MMOs, I can see World PvP working the best here...class imbalances and all. There's enough CC to escape from just about anybody who isn't teamed up.

Massive world PvP was my favorite part of Vanilla WoW.
I can see the massive Rift invasions being an invitation for random PvP battles.

Wallach

1stStrike said:
On any PvE server all you have to do is flag yourself as non-pvpable and nobody can attack you. You don't have to participate in warfronts either so you can completely carebear it up if you'd like. I went with a PvE server as the population tends to be more mature and you can still participate in organized PvP and ganking if you'd like (many people never flag PvP off so you can attack them anyway)

Ah, nice. I'll keep an eye on the thread to see what server you wind up on, I can play one of the dumb humans or whatever if you're SURE you don't want to be on the side with awesome dwarves.

1stStrike

Banned
Wallach said:
Ah, nice. I'll keep an eye on the thread to see what server you wind up on, I can play one of the dumb humans or whatever if you're SURE you don't want to be on the side with awesome dwarves.

We've already decided on Belmont. They won't be changing the server names for release.

And, yeah, we're sure we want to play Defiants xD

Einbroch

Banned
Who else is going PVP server, Guardian side?

Guardian forever. Our smaller, more skilled army will destroy the idiotic horde of Defiant any day of the week.

nyong

Banned
Einbroch said:
I will be. I'm not sure which yet, but something on the West Coast assuming the servers are in different locations.
Guardian forever. Our smaller, more skilled army will destroy the idiotic horde of Defiant any day of the week.
I hope so, lol. My dominator was able to turn the tide of many BGs, but as a DPS spec we got stomped regularly. Haha...here's hoping....

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Einbroch said:

Hmm, werent the guardians' population a lot higher in the beta? Im asking because i honestly dont know, i have not played it, but it would be a first to see an MMO where the good side is the smaller camp.

nyong

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Hmm, werent the guardians' population a lot higher in the beta? Im asking because i honestly dont know, i have not played it, but it would be a first to see an MMO where the good side is the smaller camp.
Nope, quite the opposite. People have basically assumed from the start that this is going to turn into another Alliance vs. Horde, so hardcore PvPers are (mostly) flocking towards the Defiant. It doesn't help that the Defiant are the "atheist" side, while Guardian are the perceived religious nuts...so lots of the "Science!" kiddies are moving over for that reason. The best Guardian seems to get are the Legolas-wannabes who would rather *pew-pew* than focus on PvP objectives.

I wouldn't be surprised if Guardian is outnumbered 2-1 in general. Hopefully the population doesn't get too badly skewed. The World PvP events would...suck...if badly outnumbered/skilled.

1stStrike said:
We've already decided on Belmont. They won't be changing the server names for release.

And, yeah, we're sure we want to play Defiants xD

Actually I'm pretty sure they've stated they are changing the names for release. Server list should be up tomorrow either way.

nyong said:
Nope, quite the opposite. People have basically assumed from the start that this is going to turn into another Alliance vs. Horde, so hardcore PvPers are (mostly) flocking towards the Defiant. It doesn't help that the Defiant are the "atheist" side, while Guardian are the perceived religious nuts...so lots of the "Science!" kiddies are moving over for that reason. The best Guardian seems to get are the Legolas-wannabes who would rather *pew-pew* than focus on PvP objectives.

I wouldn't be surprised if Guardian is outnumbered 2-1 in general. Hopefully the population doesn't get too badly skewed. The World PvP events would...suck...if badly outnumbered/skilled.

That's stupid...
The Defiant can't be atheists.
They believe in the gods (I mean, they're running around all over the place), they just believe they're lazy sacks of crap.
:p

nyong

Banned

1stStrike

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
Actually I'm pretty sure they've stated they are changing the names for release. Server list should be up tomorrow either way.

That would be a dumb move in my opinion, since guilds are already established on x server. However, if they do change the server names then we will tackle that when it happens.

A buddy on GAF just told me about this game and it looks AMAZING. I haven't played an MMO since getting into FFXI years ago, really considering upgrading my PC and jumping head first into this game.

Anyone pre-ordered the Collector's Edition on Amazon? Did they email you the Head-Start code? I haven't decided whether to go to Gamestop (;/) to preorder or get it through Amazon, because I know that Gamestop prints the code out on your receipt, but I wasn't sure about Amazon.

RE Server names:

trionworlds.custhelp.com said:
Published 02/21/2011 02:15 PM | Updated 02/21/2011 02:32 PM

What server names will be available for the headstart/launch of Rift?
We are still finalizing the list of server names which will be available for the headstart. However we hope to have this list published on our forums soon. We will also update this article with a full list of available servers as soon as that information becomes available.

1stStrike

Banned
MWS Natural said:
A buddy on GAF just told me about this game and it looks AMAZING. I haven't played an MMO since getting into FFXI years ago, really considering upgrading my PC and jumping head first into this game.

Better hurry, head start goes live on the 24th and the game officially launches on the 1st. :)

Big Papa Husker said:
Anyone pre-ordered the Collector's Edition on Amazon? Did they email you the Head-Start code? I haven't decided whether to go to Gamestop (;/) to preorder or get it through Amazon, because I know that Gamestop prints the code out on your receipt, but I wasn't sure about Amazon.

I pre-ordered from amazon and got my key immediately. I also have release date delivery so it'll be he here on the 1st barring any massive winter snowpocalypse storms.

Dreamwriter said:
RE Server names:

Lame. If they change them we're going to have to update our banner. *shakes fist*

BrettWeir

I hope they get server names/types out ASAP. Kind of ridiculous they don't have this info already.

And JFC, they need to get the release exe out.

BrettWeir said:
I hope they get server names/types out ASAP. Kind of ridiculous they don't have this info already.

And JFC, they need to get the release exe out.

Pretty sure the beta servers are going to be the release servers as well:

http://www.riftstatus.com/

They might have more but I think someone on the boards said they were going to reuse these names.

Ok I just did some more research, apparently the rift ppl said they were "reshuffling" the names. So I guess you could pick a server based on the names that exist but it might not be the type of server you want... oh well.

1stStrike

Banned
Looks like today's the day for maintenance. The rift site is going down at around 1 pm EST for maintenance where they'll be updating all the info on the site. Official server lists are supposed to be out today, as well as more information the client.

As for the LC site, the server it's on is down for maintenance right now to get some hardware replaced. Should be back up soon-ish.

knitoe

1stStrike said:
On any PvE server all you have to do is flag yourself as non-pvpable and nobody can attack you. You don't have to participate in warfronts either so you can completely carebear it up if you'd like. I went with a PvE server as the population tends to be more mature and you can still participate in organized PvP and ganking if you'd like (many people never flag PvP off so you can attack them anyway)
That maybe true for beta, but I would be afraid the word will get around for retail and everyone will be running with nonpvp flag enable. Although I would love to play with other gaffers, hard to choose over real world PVP. I am having a hard time deciding which way to go. Can't we just move to PVP server?

1stStrike

Banned
knitoe said:
That maybe true for beta, but I would be afraid the word will get around for retail and everyone will be running with nonpvp flag enable. Although I would love to play with other gaffers, hard to choose over real world PVP. I am having a hard time deciding which way to go. Can't we just move to PVP server?

Most of us aren't hardore pvp'rs and it seems like everyone so far has been happy with the choice to play on a PvE server. Can't please everyone though :)

Concept17

Einbroch said:
Yes you can. Go Guardian on a PVP server. Everyone wants that, can't you see?

Forever alone
in Rift
. :(

Truthfully I would prefer a PvP server, but it'll be nice to have gaffers to play with, so I'm going to stick it out on Belmont. That and I simply don't have the spare time to really invest in MMOs like I used to.

Just pre-ordered on Steam.

Also I can't access the guild website for some reason?

Effect

So is the game worth the monthly fee?

The type of game worth playing for a month or two and then taking a break and then coming back in a few months or one where you might want to play for several months straight?

Socializing easy or hard or even worthwhile? The potential to be really top heavy after a few weeks or months? Any reason to travel back to older areas or cities and interact with low level characters?

1stStrike

Banned
Effect said:
So is the game worth the monthly fee?

The type of game worth playing for a month or two and then taking a break and then coming back in a few months or one where you might want to play for several months straight?

Socializing easy or hard or even worthwhile? The potential to be really top heavy after a few weeks or months? Any reason to travel back to older areas or cities and interact with low level characters?

It's really up to you how much you play, but there's a lot of content in this game (with several more end-game raids coming shortly after release). Also, you get expert dungeons once you hit lvl 50 so you can go back to that previously lvl 17 dungeon and replay it with new mobs (that are at your lvl) and it'll be longer with new challenges and bosses / story. You can also participate in raid rifts in the newbie zones if you want, which are still challenging even at lvl 42 (I got owned by a lvl 17 boss that had 175k hp).

@Concept: Read my post above. Server down for maintenance :)

Effect

Thanks. A lot of content is good but still iffy on the socializing. Been looking at some gameplay videos and have noticed some level based chat channels. Is the chat setup similar to Everquest 2 in that regard? In voice chat options included in the game for groups or guilds?

I think I'm going to take a chance on the game. Just put a preorder through on Amazon.com with release date shipping. I should probably know better as I've been disappointed in my last few MMO purchases. Latest being FFXIV. DCUO was fun but more a fantasy setting guy. Though looking at more videos of the game have made me feel better about this. Seems the class system is slowly introduced and that was my biggest worry but I also hadn't really read up on the game and didn't do the beta because of the huge downloads.

Luckily I can slide some Nintendo 3DS money over to this as some games are delayed or not must buys anymore.

1stStrike

Banned
Effect said:
Thanks. A lot of content is good but still iffy on the socializing. Been looking at some gameplay videos and have noticed some level based chat channels. Is the chat setup similar to Everquest 2 in that regard? In voice chat options included in the game for groups or guilds?

I think I'm going to take a chance on the game. Just put a preorder through on Amazon.com with release date shipping. I should probably know better as I've been disappointed in my last few MMO purchases. Latest being FFXIV. DCUO was fun but more a fantasy setting guy. Though looking at more videos of the game have made me feel better about this. Seems the class system is slowly introduced and that was my biggest worry but I also hadn't really read up on the game and didn't do the beta because of the huge downloads.

Luckily I can slid some Nintendo 3DS money over to this as some games are delayed or not must buys anymore.

There's no in-game voice options and chats are level based. There's also chats for the area you're in as well. I generally have seen people chatting it up pretty much wherever I've gone. We have a vent server for the guild anyway so we don't really need in-game voice chat.

Edit:

RAID array is rebuilding on the server now (there was a hard drive failure upon reboot and it had to be replaced) so it'll probably be down for another hour or two while this is taken care of.

Einbroch said:
For those who want an overview of every class, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tgnRift

Be mindful, some of the videos are from beta 5-6, so they might be a little outdated, but the series is fantastic and these guys know their stuff.
I was just watching some of these last night, they are really great.

Even though I didn't play one during my very short open beta run, I think I'm going to go with some flavor of cleric build for my main.

Effect

Is the head start only for digital versions of the game? Or does the code Amazon.com send you meant for that?

Einbroch said:
For those who want an overview of every class, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tgnRift

Be mindful, some of the videos are from beta 5-6, so they might be a little outdated, but the series is fantastic and these guys know their stuff.

Thanks!!!

1stStrike

Banned
Effect said:
Is the head start only for digital versions of the game? Or does the code Amazon.com send you meant for that?

Thanks!!!

The code you get from amazon can be applied to your account and that will get you into headstart. You'll get another code with the physical copy of the game that you can enter.

I swear, I must be the only one that reads the announcements/news on the rift forums o_0

Weenerz

Banned
Weenerz said:
Steam pre-orderers (not sure if it works for everyone), if you need an easy way to get the Riftwalker achievement (unlocks the hat code), watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLfk__0bHSo

Very easy, and I earned mine with a bot. The link in his description has the link to the map he used also.

Any non-Steam pre-orders able to try this and see if it works for those pre-orders?

Swag

Kinda bummed, my residence hall isn't going to be open over spring break so can't play QQ

Will have to join everyone a week after servers go live, oh well at least i'll be running the game on better hardware.

1stStrike

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Kinda bummed, my residence hall isn't going to be open over spring break so can't play QQ

Will have to join everyone a week after servers go live, oh well at least i'll be running the game on better hardware.

Hell, by then we'll all be leveled up and have tons of loot for you :p

Tworak

I still don't know which class I want to play as. I've always played healer in pretty much every mmo since anarchy online launched back in 2001 (right? :p). I guess I'll end up as a sentinel, though, since that class seems like the purest of the healers. :p

thanks for the youtube rift guide thingy, btw.

Swag

Tworak said:
I still don't know which class I want to play as. I've always played healer in pretty much every mmo since anarchy online launched back in 2001 (right? :p). I guess I'll end up as a sentinel, though, since that class seems like the purest of the healers. :p

thanks for the youtube rift guide thingy, btw.
Sentinel warden purifier

Big heals HoTs Shields

1stStrike

Banned
Website should be back up in about an hour pending any further issues. Rebuilding an entire RAID array takes time >_<

*is not getting any emails right now as a result*

I just read that all the server names are going to be changed. So whats the going to be the general consensus for servers here?

PVE:
PVP:

New server names will be up after todays maintenance.

Top Bottom