• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, Federer's better than Murray, I don't dispute that.

He's worse than Djokovic, and Nadal.

scarlet

Because he had really weak competition, therefore won lots of matches early in his career, and people love to bandwagon?

Can you stop derail this thread like any other slams thread with this same argument over and over again?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You did and everyone thinks you're delusional.

MIMIC has my back.

MIMIC plz

EDIT: sam777 does to, it seems. "everyone" in this context seems to refer to "everyone who likes Federer".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
For all the great shots Kyrigos produces he always makes some really basic errors.

I don't think they're actually that 'basic' - his form is good, what usually lets him down is when he's setting up for a shot then tries to hit it when his footwork isn't in place and therefore his balance goes wrong and he can't follow through properly. He really needs to focus on court movement, it's the big incomplete element of his game IMO.

sam777

I don't think they're actually that 'basic' - his form is good, what usually lets him down is when he's setting up for a shot then tries to hit it when his footwork isn't in place and therefore his balance goes wrong and he can't follow through properly. He really needs to focus on court movement, it's the big incomplete element of his game IMO.

True but in Murray's last service game 15-40 up Kyrigos should be breaking him, no excuses for misses like that.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
He had weaker competiton than the other big 3 wouldn't you say so?

Maybe, but really not a lot weaker. Nothing proofs that it was 'easier' to win against Roddick or Lleyton Hewit in contrary to a Murray now for example.

Outside of (maybe) Djokovic nobody right now is reachting the insanely high level that Federer has played in his prime. And in my eyes he still now is the best player after Djokovic at 33, something we will not see from Nadal, Djokovic or Murray on that age normally.

Kensuke

Kyrgios doesn't have a first serve right now. What should be a weapon looks more like a second serve. The medical time out is no surprise. He lost this match even if he somehow recovers though, he's too far behind already. Could have been different if he didn't miss so many break points.

oti

Banned
Shame about Petkovic but Errani was the better player by far.

I hope Kokkinakis beats the Djoker.
It won't happen.

CGKNYO2UUAEk5ek.jpg

scarlet

Watching Kokkinakis and I was like this guy is short for tennis, and then I googled him and he's like almost 2 meters, WTF

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How come Tomic led 5-2 in 3rd set but lost 3-6 in the same set?

Wasted 3 match points, too. I think he's struggling a bit mentally at the moment. In his early career he didn't give a shit about matches, which means you're surprisingly good in tight matches even if inconsistent overall. For the first time in his career, he's really applying himself, but he's not used to the experience of setting expectations for himself. IMO, he's playing below his full capabilities; but he's making steady improvements.

I actually think Tomic has shown a lot of maturity since maybe halfway through last year, it's just a shame it has taken him so long.

Xun

I know the microphones are pretty sensitive, but Kyrgios is pretty loud at the moment.

He seems mentally and physically hurt.

scarlet

Wasted 3 match points, too. I think he's struggling a bit mentally at the moment. In his early career he didn't give a shit about matches, which means you're surprisingly good in tight matches even if inconsistent overall. For the first time in his career, he's really applying himself, but he's not used to the experience of setting expectations for himself. IMO, he's playing below his full capabilities; but he's making steady improvements.

I actually think Tomic has shown a lot of maturity since maybe halfway through last year, it's just a shame it has taken him so long.

No, I meant the paper said Tomic led 5-2 in 3rd set, but I read the score it's 6-3 in the 3rd set. I'm on my phone tho, probably misread

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No, I meant the paper said Tomic led 5-2 in 3rd set, but I read the score it's 6-3 in the 3rd set. I'm on my phone tho, probably misread

That might be a mistake by the paper. IIRC Tomic only lead 4*-2, the match then finished 8-6 to Kokkinakis; unless I've remembered horribly wrong.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Do Goffin or Chardy have the game to trouble Murray or will it be a easy match for him?

Goffin has absolutely nothing to trouble Murray with. He's a worse version of Nishikori, and Murray leads that H2H 4-1, and leads Goffin himself 1-0. Chardy... eh, 90% of the time Chardy plays inconsistently and breaks himself a lot. 10% of the time he switches into elite ball-basher mode and can score top upsets.

Honestly, I don't think either of them have much going to threaten Murray with, but Chardy is probably the one that (as a Murray fan), I'd prefer to avoid slightly more. Especially on home turf.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Kokkinakis really, really needs to work on his RoS. It's really just bad, even compared to Kyrgios'.

EDIT: Djokovic is not playing very well at all. :/

Kensuke

The French are delivering this year. Tsonga, Monfils, Simon and even Chardy all through to R4. Gasquet can also get there too. And Paire lost in R3. Their best year ever, right?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Both Tsonga en Monfils have made it as tennis players and deserve a slam

Finally I can watch a Rafa match from start to end, can't wait to see how he plays

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know Monfils does. I don't think he's consistent enough as player. Tsonga, though, I am fully confident would have had Slams in a different era. He's a much better player at his best than Cilic or Wawrinka, and IMO has the highest peak of any active player outside the top 4 (and Hewitt, who is... technically still active. Maybe Del Potro if you count him as active too).

mcfrank

Is tennis channel the only place to watch in the us? They are stuck on this sock match, but I would rather see gasquet.

Or are we stuck in a damn NBC blackout.

Edit - never mind.

Diamond

The French are delivering this year. Tsonga, Monfils, Simon and even Chardy all through to R4. Gasquet can also get there too. And Paire lost in R3. Their best year ever, right?

It's not the first time it happens, but it's indeed a fine year. 4th round will be extremely tough though, they're respectively against Berdych, Federer, Wawrinka and Murray. Gasquet would be against Djokovic... Hope at least one of them scores a big upset, would be cool.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Cilic yes but if Wawrinka's backhand is working than he's pratically unstoppable.

Wawrinka is 2-12 against Nadal, with both wins coming against quite a sub-par Nadal. He's 1-16 against Djokovic (although admittedly the win was incredible and one of the losses was very tight). He's 2-16 against Federer, and Federer absolutely gifted both of those (both at Monte Carlo, too...). Hell, he's even 4-9 against Murray. Saying Wawrinka is 'practically unstoppable' on the basis of maybe... 2 or 3 matches in his entire career, does a gross disservice to Tsonga, whose comparative stats are 3-8, 6-13, 5-11 and (well, 2-10, but Murray is a very bad match-up for Tsonga). Tsonga is a hell of a lot more of a threat when he's at his peak than Wawrinka, just Tsonga was unlucky enough to hit his peak at a time when Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, and Murray were all playing much better than when Wawrinka hit his.

Kensuke

It's not the first time it happens, but it's indeed a fine year. 4th round will be extremely tough though, they're respectively against Berdych, Federer, Wawrinka and Murray. Gasquet would be against Djokovic... Hope at least one of them scores a big upset, would be cool.

That's rough, but it's to be expected once you reach R4. I think Tsonga has a decent chance against Berdych. Can't see the others pull an upset.

Wawrinka is 2-12 against Nadal, with both wins coming against quite a sub-par Nadal. He's 1-16 against Djokovic (although admittedly the win was incredible and one of the losses was very tight). He's 2-16 against Federer, and Federer absolutely gifted both of those (both at Monte Carlo, too...). Hell, he's even 4-9 against Murray. Saying Wawrinka is 'practically unstoppable' on the basis of maybe... 2 or 3 matches in his entire career, does a gross disservice to Tsonga, whose comparative stats are 3-8, 6-13, 5-11 and (well, 2-10, but Murray is a very bad match-up for Tsonga). Tsonga is a hell of a lot more of a threat when he's at his peak than Wawrinka, just Tsonga was unlucky enough to hit his peak at a time when Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, and Murray were all playing much better than when Wawrinka hit his.

Wawrinka only became a monster 2-3 years ago. He's still very inconsistent, but in Stanimal mode he's unbeatable. Tsonga can also be great, as he showed in Toronto, but he's even more inconsistent. His slam records are also not as impressive as Wawrinka in recent years.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wawrinka only became a monster 2-3 years ago. He's still very inconsistent, but in Stanimal mode he's unbeatable. Tsonga can also be great, as he showed in Toronto, but he's even more inconsistent. His slam records are also not as impressive as Wawrinka in recent years.

What is this magical "Stanimal" mode? Like, how many "Stanimal" matches can you actually name? I can name 3, all at the AO - two in the same tournament, even. That's it. I can name a *tonne* more genuinely incredible Tsonga matches, easily, spread out over several years and different tournaments, and provide some incredible highlight reels. I mean, if you're a Federer fan you should logically think that Tsonga > Wawrinka just because of Tsonga's stunning upset of a Federer much closer to his prime in Wimbledon of all places. If anything, he's more consistent than Wawrinka. Being 5-11 against Djokovic seems more consistent than 1-16, don't you think? He's less good right now than Wawrinka is, but simply comparing peak to peak, Tsonga > Wawrinka, for sure. It's just a shame his decline has started to set in.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sock must have the biggest forehand-backhand disparity in the top 100, I swear. His forehand is such an incredibly sexy shot, second highest RPM on the tour and he puts so much pace on it and really good angles. His backhand is... well. I mean. Well. I'm trying to think of nice things to say about it but I can't.

Ricker

Meanwhile little Mitu from Romania,that I saw in Montreal during the Fed Cup beat Bouchard to help her team beat Canada made it to R16...go figure.

Kensuke

What is this magical "Stanimal" mode? Like, how many "Stanimal" matches can you actually name? I can name 3, all at the AO - two in the same tournament, even. That's it. I can name a *tonne* more genuinely incredible Tsonga matches, easily, spread out over several years and different tournaments, and provide some incredible highlight reels. I mean, if you're a Federer fan you should logically think that Tsonga > Wawrinka just because of Tsonga's stunning upset of a Federer much closer to his prime in Wimbledon of all places. If anything, he's more consistent than Wawrinka. Being 5-11 against Djokovic seems more consistent than 1-16, don't you think? He's less good right now than Wawrinka is, but simply comparing peak to peak, Tsonga > Wawrinka, for sure. It's just a shame his decline has started to set in.

With Stanimal I was just referring to him playing at his peak. Which he does way more consistently since 2014. He has won 5 titles since last year. Since he won AO he's also been in 2 QF's and 1 SF. That's pretty consistent. Tsonga had a similar streak a few years ago, but otherwise he's been pretty inconsistent. I also never felt Tsonga could ever win a slam besides that one time in 2008. Stan achieved it and I think he could even win one more. Therefore, Wawrinka > Tsonga. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom