• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Bolelli is a really streaky player. When he's on, he's really on. Shame it doesn't happen often.

szaromir

Banned
I firmly believe Stan is - across the years - the second best player on plexicushion and if not for the line umpire he'd be a two-time AO champion now.

And peak for peak him and Tsonga are probably very similar (last year Jo demolished Djoker, Murray and Fed all in one tournament), but what seperates is that Stan was able to rise above his mental demons in one major*, while Jo never did.

*would be two if not for the line judge. Yeah, I'm bitter about it.

Kensuke

I firmly believe Stan is - across the years - the second best player on plexicushion and if not for the line umpire he'd be a two-time AO champion now.

And peak for peak him and Tsonga are probably very similar (last year Jo demolished Djoker, Murray and Fed all in one tournament), but what seperates is that Stan was able to rise above his mental demons in one major*, while Jo never did.

What wrong call are you talking about exactly? Can't remember that.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Currently watching mixed doubles E.Svitolina J.Murray vs B.Mattek-Sands-M.Bryan.
As years goes by, i really like doubles more than singles, that's weird.
Fast paced action doubles are a sight to watch, less court to cover means room for better reaction times, on gravel doubles can be especially fun during rallies

szaromir

Banned
What wrong call are you talking about exactly? Can't remember that.

AO 2013 Djoko-Wawrinka, 5th set, 4-all, Djoko serving, advantage Wawrinka. Stan sends return at Novak's feet on the line, Novak puts it very short, line umpire screams out, Stan brainfarts and doesn't challenge.

Fast paced action doubles are a sight to watch, less court to cover means room for better reaction times, on gravel doubles can be especially fun during rallies

Yep.
And players are way more relaxed, they have fun even if they lose, it's great to see them chill.
Less pressure i guess.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yep.
And players are way more relaxed, they have fun even if they lose, it's great to see them chill.
Less pressure i guess.
Very true, during competition when I play doubles I always feel way more relaxed compared to singles as well, often resulting in better performance

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Stan was helped by the fact Nadal was in absolutely no form whatsoever come the final. Stan played great, yes, but if you swapped that Nadal with one from his earlier years, Stan would have got *slaughtered*. And I like Stan. Stan effectively had to beat 1.5 top players to claim his title. Tsonga has never had it that easy; he's a better player but he's faced tougher roads every time. Saying "Stan is better because he has a slam" is pretty reductive. Tsonga's problem isn't "demons". Tsonga is not a choker or a headcase. Tsonga's problem was that his opponents were ridiculous.

sam777

Stan was helped by the fact Nadal was in absolutely no form whatsoever come the final. Stan played great, yes, but if you swapped that Nadal with one from his earlier years, Stan would have got *slaughtered*. And I like Stan. Stan effectively had to beat 1.5 top players to claim his title. Tsonga has never had it that easy; he's a better player but he's faced tougher roads every time. Saying "Stan is better because he has a slam" is pretty reductive. Tsonga's problem isn't "demons". Tsonga is not a choker or a headcase. Tsonga's problem was that his opponents were ridiculous.

Plus Nadal's back literally went after the first set of the AO final.

szaromir

Banned
She's my favourite player of all time.
Yeah, Hingis 1997 got me into tennis. Shame the ankle injuries derailed her career at such a young age. She'd probably have difficult time coping with the athleticism that the Williams and the Belgian sisters brought to the table, but she'd probably still win a number of big titles and a lot smaller ones.

Yeah, Hingis 1997 got me into tennis. Shame the ankle injuries derailed her career at such a young age. She'd probably have difficult time coping with the athleticism that the Williams and the Belgian sisters brought to the table, but she'd probably still win a number of big titles and a lot smaller ones.
Those shoes brah. I wonder if they really did cause those problems for her?

Bigfoot

Serena has the most advanced gamesmanship I've ever seen out of a female player.
Her game is great but she could leave the gamesmanship out I think. I think it brings her down and she is one of the worst sports and poorest losers around. She just wins so often that it doesn't come out a lot.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Azarenka needs to stop moving forward if she wants to win. Keeps getting burned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom