• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her game is great but she could leave the gamesmanship out I think. I think it brings her down and she is one of the worst sports and poorest losers around. She just wins so often that it doesn't come out a lot.

Ego at the highest levels of tennis unfortunately result in moments like that.

Venus a few years ago I remember giving Clijsters no credit when Kim beat her, saying she played a bunch of junk shots.

Fed has had his fair share of arrogant moments, the 15' Nike thing after the Roddick epic in the 09' Wimby final, that was a tone deaf moment.

Rafa for as much winning as he's done comes across as sheepishly humble.

Serena could be more complimentary the times she does lose, but I think she's gotten better at that post blood clot in 2011. Appreciates the time she gets out there more than ever.
Does she get pissed off at times, occasionally says stuff to lines peeps or chair umps?
Yeah, but John McEnroe had countless moments like that and people loved him.

Sport is competitive business, anyone that's played competitive sports can relate to the emotions and frustration.

This stuff gets blown out of proportion way more than it should in our 24/7, GIF, viral, youtube culture.

Vuvurenka just collapsed after being up a set and 4-2 in the 2nd

Collapsed in the 3rd set after Serena got back on serve, I'll give you that.

But Serena brought her A level tennis in the back half of the 2nd set to win that.
Azarenka didn't get tight in the 2nd set, just got outplayed.
Bad call was unfortunate but still Serena's level was too good imo.

I do feel bad for Azarenka though, the French Open really botched her draw and a bunch of others.

Azarenka's loss in the in 2012 US Open Final to Serena was the toughest, she had 5-3 lead in the 3rd, only to lose 7-5. That's the best chance she's had to nip Serena in a GS match.

Murray/Kyrgios was a really fun match to watch in the first set and a half. Two players with a great depth of shot showing off their skills, clearly with a lot of respect for each other. Kyrgios' "Are you not entertained?" arms-raised gesture to the crowd after his tweener lob winner one of the big highlights, but there were many. Murray was eventually able to take control and force Kyrgios in to longer rallies where he knew how to move him around and punish him so the game fizzled out in the later stages.

Serena clutched it out for the break back at 1-2 in the 3rd set. Nothing Azarenka could do about a series of insane shots like that, but she shouldn't have faded as hard as she did afterward. With Serena though, I usually feel that if she finds her best tennis in time she will win.

Players who made it to the 4th round without dropping a set:

Men: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Marin Cilic, Kei Nishikori, Teymuraz Gabashvili, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Roger Federer
Women: Sloane Stephens, Timea Bacsinszky, Lucie Safarova, Maria Sharapova

Volimar

2 double faults by Williams and she still wins it...yeah,not going to happen Azarenka.

I had just told my aunt that she was holding her own against her. That was early in the third set. Like right after I said it, Williams just crushed her. My bad.

Peru

Azarenka handed Serena the title, now that she has raised her level.

Pretty much.

You had one thing left to do Vika, and you couldn't pull the trigger.

GNY14.png

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't see much of a difference between her shrieking and Serena's fake outbursts and emotional grunts. Serena looks straight out of some high level Jesus camp I between points.

I see a pretty big difference. Most of Serena's outbursts are after the point, Azarenka shrieks while the point is still on. I'm surprised she doesn't shriek when the opposing player hits the ball as well.

Ricker

Ivanovic and Cornet play at the same time tomorrow...damn,wanted to see both of those matches...I will be clicking between both on TSN lol...thank god Federer/Monfils is 3 hours later...

oti

Banned
Ivanovic and Cornet play at the same time tomorrow...damn,wanted to see both of those matches...I will be clicking between both on TSN lol...thank god Federer/Monfils is 3 hours later...

I'm always rooting for Cornet in Paris.

Diamond

Players who made it to the 4th round without dropping a set:

Men: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Marin Cilic, Kei Nishikori, Teymuraz Gabashvili, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Roger Federer

Love how Gabashvili is there with the others.

Great schedule tomorrow, great players against frenchies, will be a good time.

Borna and Soxk were two of the players that I thought could give Rafa trouble early here. It ain't early anymore. Rafa is building momentum like a freight train. Gonna abuse that backhand of Sock.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Borna and Soxk were two of the players that I thought could give Rafa trouble early here. It ain't early anymore. Rafa is building momentum like a freight train. Gonna abuse that backhand of Sock.

Why are you worried? Clayray will do what Novak can't.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So when is the Federer - Monfils game planned? Is it the first match of the day or...?

orioto

Good Art™
shit rain, fucking country! When is Nishikori playing ? i'm super cautious for the french guys playing today, i've been disappointed so many times... Tsonga will probably wake up after losing two sets and Monfils play well 1/3 of the games..

Diamond

Weather is bad. Just checked and they announce rain all day on Paris. Maybe they'll manage to squeeze some play here or there...

Alx

If they can't spend $100k to install floodlights, then $500M for a roof is not gonna happen.

I think the floodlights are getting opposition because the courts are in a posh area, and the people living there don't want visual disturbance. Maybe they're also opposing major construction for a roof, though.
The place is getting too small anyway, sooner or later they'll move to a brand new location.

Diamond

Actually the new stadium is scheduled to start being built at the end of the year. It will replace the Court 1. It could be ready for the 2019 tournament. Plus they will put a roof over the Philippe Chatrier (don't know how long it will take) and put lights for night sessions. But there are a lot of political problems behind all this, so it's not completely sure how it will go.

PlanRolandGarros3.jpg

The new stadium is on the right, number 7.

So when's that roof coming French peeps?

Discussions to expand the complex (with the main idea of covering the Philippe Chatrier court) has been going on since 2011. Nobody can agree on this (political stories...), so do not expect anything anytime soon.

Jay Sosa

I see a pretty big difference. Most of Serena's outbursts are after the point, Azarenka shrieks while the point is still on. I'm surprised she doesn't shriek when the opposing player hits the ball as well.

yep Azarenka shrieks when the ball is already in the other players side of the court, Sharapova only when she hits the ball. Not that I care..let them shriek; No one is forcing anyone to watch them play.

oh Alize...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom