• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
So after Murray is vanquished tomorrow, all aboard the Wawrinka bandwagon?

And after that crashes, on to Wimbledon?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I wonder if Serena and safarova final Will begin before or after the conclusion of the Murray Djokovic match

looks like djokovic-murray is scheduled at 1pm local time, so it's before the women's final.

real talk: djokovic will win the 4th either 6-3 or 7-5. murray will not be able to break a fresh djokovic's serve, and will certainly get broken himself. only way i see this not happening is if djokovic comes out a walking corpse.

the final will be on wawrinka's racquet, so probably.

I'm sorry but

Wat8.jpg

Djokovic with some masterful mind games during set 1 and before set 4. Andy's big weakness is his easily rocked mental state and Djokovic got to him at important moments. Not holding that against him - I respect Serena for being able to get into her opponents heads' too; it tends to come with being a consistent winner. Djokovic was way above Murray for a good part of the match (especially in set 2), completely untroubled on serve, but when Murray did find his game there were some superb, gruelling rallies befitting an RG SF between two players unbeaten throughout the clay court season.

Shame RG hasn't got round to building a roof on Chatrier - the match was building to a great climax one way or another at 3-3 in the 4th. Wawrinka will be smiling tomorrow if it goes to a 5th.

What is everyone's opinion on Serena as the GOAT? If she wins tomorrow, that's 20 GS titles, 3rd all time, 2nd in the Open era, 2 titles behind Graf. Also 17 years between her first title and her latest, oldest ever No. 1, and has 13 GS doubles titles to boot.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
What is everyone's opinion on Serena as the GOAT? If she wins tomorrow, that's 20 GS titles, 3rd all time, 2nd in the Open era, 2 titles behind Graf. Also 17 years between her first title and her latest, oldest ever No. 1, and has 13 GS doubles titles to boot.

steffi is way above her. steffi's 1987-1996 is unmatched and will remain so. and her career win percentage of 88%+ is ridiculous. if serena won her next 180+ matches she'd still be below graf. in her prime she was never as liable to upsets out of nowhere as serena has always been.

steffi is way above her. steffi's 1987-1996 is unmatched and will remain so. and her career win percentage of 88%+ is ridiculous. if serena won her next 180+ matches she'd still be below graf. in her prime she was never as liable to upsets out of nowhere as serena has always been.

I don't know about that. If Serena gets to 22 majors ( which could happen by September ) then she's definitely on par with Graf. If it weren't for Serena's own sister, she would be shooting for #22 tomorrow

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't know about that. If Serena gets to 22 majors ( which could happen by September ) then she's definitely on par with Graf. If it weren't for Serena's own sister, she would be shooting for #22 tomorrow

there's still other titles to consider. slams are of course the most important, but it doesn't make everything else irrelevant. at the moment it's 107 to 66 for graf. navratilova is of course totally ridiculous here with 167. and if we take doubles into consideration she would have a much better case for being the greatest of all time than serena.

there's still other titles to consider. slams are of course the most important, but it doesn't make everything else irrelevant. at the moment it's 107 to 66 for graf. navratilova is of course totally ridiculous here with 167. and if we take doubles into consideration she would have a much better case for being the greatest of all time than serena.

The smaller tournaments aren't irrelevant, but they are no where near as important as slams. Back in 2010 and 2011, Serena wasn't playing anything BUT slams. Graf didn't take long breaks.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The smaller tournaments aren't irrelevant, but they are no where near as important as slams. Back in 2010 and 2011, Serena wasn't playing anything BUT slams. Graf didn't take long breaks.

your first sentence pretty much repeats exactly what i said. and i don't really see what the point is of the second. she was injured after wimbledon 2010 and missed pretty much everything, including three slams. you make it sound like she ignored everything just to concentrate on slams.

szaromir

Banned

I dunno.
Chris&Martina are the most impressive duo on paper but the depth of field was laughable at the time
Steffi's even more in some stats than the two of them but her nemesis was stabbed
Serena's waaaay behind in most categories, but has incredible longevity and was arguably the best player in the golden era of WTA when many incredible players competed at the same time (around 2000-2005)

MIMIC

Banned
Steffi and Martina have some mind-boggling, stats but if she gets the slam record, then that's that :) But she won't be the GOAT until she gets the record because of all of the other things.

Steffi and Martina have some mind-boggling, stats but if she gets the slam record, then that's that :) But she won't be the GOAT until she gets the record because of all of the other things.

Agreed. Right now Graf is GOAT, but if Serena gets to 23, Grafs other accomplishments won't put her above Serena's slam record. Of course, Serena may never get to 23, and she's acting right now like she has no chance to win her 20th tomorrow ( to set up the drama of course )

The question, however, is not Serena's considerable talent but her health. "Being in the final here in Paris means so much to me and it's very upsetting that I feel so lousy right now," she said in a release Friday. "I think I have some kind of flu which makes it tough, because it's just a matter of resting and keeping hydrated -- there's not much else I can do. ... I've felt really cold so I'm just fighting that, trying to sweat it out. A doctor is coming to see me here at home in about 20 minutes and we'll see if he can do anything else to help but I don't think there's anything. It's just time. I need time and I obviously don't have a lot of it."

Rainy Dog

Murray's brand of tennis is so hideous. It's a shame that it's actually effective.

Funny, I feel exactly the same about Djokovic. I just find his game and technique to be utterly ugly. And it's still always defense and grind above all else, dont see it to be any different to Andy really. Novak's just even more of a brick wall and mentally stronger.

Hoping Stan can keep it inside the lines as much as he can and takes the racket out of either opponents hand in the final.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, seems I get to watch the semi-finals, or at least the ends of one, after all. So that's why Clayray tanked the first two sets. He is a merciful god.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
murray giving the fourth set break back was probably all she wrote. if he had managed to hold onto that until the delay there might have been a chance for a fifth.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
murray giving the fourth set break back was probably all she wrote. if he had managed to hold onto that until the delay there might have been a chance for a fifth.

Almost certainly true. Never-the-less, I still have the salt collection vehicles in waiting.

scarlet

It's happening, please make it 5 sets so I have something to watch while waiting to Lucie wins her 1st RG

I hope it's Serena, but well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom