• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Black Myth Wukong Review Leaked, New Details

splattered

You should get a PC, it’s like having a Xbox and Playstation combined now, running in beast mode.
I stopped buying games on both consoles.

Ive got a 13900k 32gb 2tb ssd 4090 system.... and it runs ms office and email basically. I sit and stare at the monitor all day at my desk I don't really wanna game on my pc too.

Maybe if I could easily connect it to a large TV or something I dunno. Maybe even then...meh

Fess

Ive got a 13900k 32gb 2tb ssd 4090 system.... and it runs ms office and email basically. I sit and stare at the monitor all day at my desk I don't really wanna game on my pc too.

Maybe if I could easily connect it to a large TV or something I dunno. Maybe even then...meh
Haha that’s a beastly office PC! You need to try gaming on that thing. Can run anything maxed out above 60fps guaranteed. Plug it into a TV and use your Xbox controller and swap to big screen mode in Steam and you’ll never start any consoles again 👍

Blindy

Stellar Blade 2.0, this is gonna be a great birthday play for me. Can't wait. Wish we heard more about the soundtrack, really hope for some fantastic flute/ancient Chinese music in this.

Hohenheim

I'm so ready for this, but will try to stay away until I have a upgraded rig with a 5090 next year. The difference with and without all the ray/path tracing seemed pretty huge when I watched that slide-picture they put out a few weeks ago.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Who the fuck cares about the story and characters in a game like that?

A game about the legendary monkey king, one of the most known character in chinese literature? Yeah who would want a story about that?

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
A game about the legendary monkey king, one of the most known character in chinese literature? Yeah who would want a story about that?

simon cowell facepalm GIF
It’s a borderline character action game. Again, who the fuck cares about that in such a game? That it’s based on a novel is utterly irrelevant. There are hundreds of takes on this story.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It’s a borderline character action game. Again, who the fuck cares about that in such a game?

So is God of War and yet everyone cares about Kratos. Your point is null in this case I'm afraid. Besides, its just a stupid leak that might be fake.

Gaiff

So is God of War and yet everyone cares about Kratos. Your point is null in this case I'm afraid. Besides, its just a stupid leak that might be fake.
No one cared about the story of the original trilogy. Stop being disingenuous. People started caring about the story and writing with the reboot because it put those at the forefront and turned into a story-driven cinematic game. Wukong isn’t that. It’s more akin to games like DMC or NG and no one pays attention to the stories in those games.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
No one cared about the story of the original trilogy.

That is complete and utter nonsense. Mythological greek Gods was on everyones tongue back then. Still are, look at Hades, a fucking roguelike game and its story is pretty huge. Besides GoW isnt the only example, DMC is also another example as you put it. Who the fuck doesnt care about Vergil and Dante? They're fucking legendary names.

MiguelItUp

It's wild seeing how many people make a quick decision over a "leaked review" lol. I would take it all with a grain of salt if anything. I think the game looks phenomenal, but I'll probably wait to purchase it for a bit just because of timing.

Gaiff

That is complete and utter nonsense.
No, it isn't. No one gave a shit about the story of the OG trilogy. It was the story of an angry musclebound dude who killed Greek gods in the most gruesome ways to have his revenge. The characters were paper thin, the plot made no sense, and the character development was awful. David Jaffe straight-up said that he wrote the original Kratos to be pulp and that the new series switched to being more literary.
Mythological greek Gods was on everyones tongue back then.
Yeah, so?
Still are, look at Hades, a fucking roguelike game and its story is pretty huge.
Because it's an important aspect of the game. Wukong isn't aiming for that, so who cares?
Besides GoW isnt the only example, DMC is also another example as you put it. Who the fuck doesnt care about Vergil and Dante? They're fucking legendary names.
Are you even following the discussion? I'm saying that no one cares about the story. You can have a bad story, but this doesn't stop you from writing a badass and iconic character. Next, you're going to tell me that people love Mario so they care about the stories in Mario games?

Gaiff

Wrong and we can agree to disagree and end it here.
Then it's on you for caring about a bunch of stories into which no thought or effort was put. The writing never aimed to be good, so I have no idea why you would have cared about it. The modern games do try to have good writing, not the original trilogy.

Action games have a story that moves things forward and gives some direction, but that's about it. If the story is good, so much better, but the main focus is the action itself, the bosses, level design, and set-pieces.

The fact that Wukong has like 80 bosses and the new GOW has around 10 being made by 3 times more devs is pretty telling of what the focus is in each game.

RainyNguyen

No one cared about the story of the original trilogy. Stop being disingenuous. People started caring about the story and writing with the reboot because it put those at the forefront and turned into a story-driven cinematic game. Wukong isn’t that. It’s more akin to games like DMC or NG and no one pays attention to the stories in those games.
If you don't know anything about Journey to the West, then you should stop arguing. It's not a coincidence that the game is named Black Myth; the story plays an extremely important role in this game, which is why Game Science has kept it hidden so far, and no one has figured it out yet.

Through many trailers, they've introduced dozens of NPCs, do you think they're just for show?

// About the leak: lmao, its 1000% fake, Wukong born from a stone, so he doesn't have a mother :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Gaiff

Action games have a story that moves things forward and gives some direction, but that's about it. If the story is good, so much better, but the main focus is the action itself, the bosses, level design, and set-pieces.

The fact that Wukong has like 80 bosses and the new GOW has around 10 being made by 3 times more devs is pretty telling of what the focus is in each game.
The Office Thank You GIF

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Then it's on you for caring about a bunch of stories into which no thought or effort was put. The writing never aimed to be good, so I have no idea why you would have cared about it. The modern games do try to have good writing, not the original trilogy.
Dude, I dont care about anything in regards to this game. I was one of the few who thought it was a vaporware and I still have massive doubts about its quality, but I was wrong with Atomic Heart and I might be wrong ith this one. All Im saying and this is a fact, people care about stories in action games. They always have including classics. Characters are part of the stories. You are not everyone.

BlackTron

Isn't the story already pretty much known? Wouldn't going all-out be like making a silver-studded version of Spider-Man's uncle dying? Or am I missing something, I might be lol

Gaiff

If you don't know anything about Journey to the West, then you should stop arguing.
I do, but this isn't about Journey to the West. This is about the relevance of a story in an action game.
It's not a coincidence that the game is named Black Myth; the story plays an extremely important role in this game, which is why Game Science has kept it hidden so far, and no one has figured it out yet.
I bet you it doesn't and is just there to give you a reason to whack the myriads of bosses over the head.
Through many trailers, they've introduced dozens of NPCs, do you think they're just for show?
I'm sure they'll have some dialogue, but the story won't be a focal aspect of the game nor be especially important.
Dude, I dont care about anything in regards to this game. I was one of the few who thought it was a vaporware and I still have massive doubts about its quality, but I was wrong with Atomic Heart and I might be wrong ith this one. All Im saying and this is a fact, people care about stories in action games. They always have including classics. Characters are part of the stories. You are not everyone.
Which is why most action games have paper-thin stories with weak characters? Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, God of War, Bayonetta, and the list goes on. You can practically count those with a decent story on one hand. If it was so important, more developers would put more effort into them like they do for RPGs or story-driven games. They don't, because people by and large don't care about the writing in action games.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Which is why most action games have paper-thin stories with weak characters? Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, God of War, Bayonetta, and the list goes on

None of those games have weak stories. Dafuq you smoking? Sorry, "paper-thin". Great stories don't have to have endless pages of lores and a million written lines of dialogue. Simple stories can carry more than most stuffed ones.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I would ask you what you are smoking for suggesting the games I named don't have weak stories. If you consider those good, your standards are unfathomably low.

I think simplicity can be a huge carry for good story-telling. Your examples are proof enough that simplistic characters are what attracts people the most and characters are on their own a story. As I edited above, not everything has to be complex nor everything complex can be good. Don't be a dick.

Gaiff

I think simplicity can be a huge carry for good story-telling. Your examples are proof enough that simplistic characters are what attracts people the most and characters are on their own a story. As I edited above, not everything has to be complex nor everything complex can be good. Don't be a dick.
No, my examples are fantastic games carrying otherwise weak stories and characters because frankly, no one cares about Ryu Hayabusa in NG Black and his 10 lines of dialogue. Those characters are iconic not because of themselves but because of the games they star in. Strip the gameplay of their franchises to be just average and they all fall into irrelevancy. What elevated Mario, Kratos, Link, and all those other gaming icons to their current heights is the quality of their games, not the characters or writing (except for maybe GOW 2018 that contributed). You could swap them with anyone and their games would still be every bit as popular. Link and Gordon Freeman are silent protagonists yet are considered some of the greatest characters in gaming. Link is written intentionally as a blank slate for the players to project themselves into the games, so you can't seriously tell me he's well-written.

The reason they are so famous is because their games are great which is ultimately all that matters. A game can be amazing even with a non-existent story.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Those characters are iconic not because of themselves but because of the games they star in

Wrong. They are iconic because of the games and themselves. There are games with good gameplay that no one gave a shit about its characters, as you've stated as well. Your Link example is true, but that example does not invalidate my statement, because we have a lot of unique games for many reasons. Seems like you just dont like stories in games and you're trying really hard to project your opinion as its universal which is factually wrong. There are people like you, and there are people like me and in between. Fact is, there are a lot of us who care about stories in games regardless of the genre. I hated rogue-likes for the simple fact that they never really focused on stories and characters, until Hades. But hey keep hating guy.

CosmicComet

I absolutely cared about the story of the greek games.

Gaiff

Wrong. They are iconic because of the games and themselves.
Mario has been iconic since the 80s where he was nothing more than a plumber trying to save a princess. Are you going to tell me this was a good character? Ryu Hayabusa's lines can be counted on practically on both your hands and feet. Is he a good character? Come on man. Those characters cannot stand on their own without their games. Mario with bad or average games is one of those dime-a-dozen characters you've never heard about.
There are games with good gameplay that no one gave a shit about its characters, as you've stated as well. Your Link example is true, but that example does not invalidate my statement, because we have a lot of unique games for many reasons. Seems like you just dont like stories in games and you're trying really hard to project your opinion as its universal which is factually wrong. There are people like you, and there are people like me and in between. Fact is, there are a lot of us who care about stories in games regardless of the genre. I hated rogue-likes for the simple fact that they never really focused on stories and characters, until Hades. But hey keep hating guy.
Nah, I just don't particularly care for stories in games, but I don't dislike them. There are well-written characters such as Joel from The Last of Us, Wrex from Mass Effect, Frog from Chrono Trigger, and so on. Pretending that the success of the original trilogy of God of War or Ninja Gaiden games had anything to do with their stories or characters is outright lying. The Last of Us without its characters and writing isn't the exceptional game that it is. The characters stand on their own and even if they had starred in mediocre games, they would have been viewed as highlights. I'm arguing that by and large, people don't care about writing and characters in action games. If the gameplay is terrific, the job is done.

I absolutely cared about the story of the greek games.
I'm sure you did.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Mario has been iconic since the 80s where he was nothing more than a plumber trying to save a princess. Are you going to tell me this was a good character? Ryu Hayabusa's lines can be counted on practically on both your hands and feet. Is he a good character? Come on man. Those characters cannot stand on their own without their games. Mario with bad or average games is one of those dime-a-dozen characters you've never heard about.

Nah, I just don't particularly care for stories in games, but I don't dislike them. There are well-written characters such as Joel from The Last of Us, Wrex from Mass Effect, Frog from Chrono Trigger, and so on. Pretending that the success of the original trilogy of God of War or Ninja Gaiden games had anything to do with their stories or characters is outright lying. The Last of Us without its characters and writing isn't the exceptional game that it is. The characters stand on their own and even if they had starred in mediocre games, they would have been viewed as highlights. I'm arguing that by and large, people don't care about writing and characters in action games. If the gameplay is terrific, the job is done.

I'm sure you did.

You keep repeating the same names over and over and you keep saying that I believe Mario or Ryu are the sole reasons for the game's success, but I never mentioned them. There are examples where you are correct and there are examples where you are absolutely not. Action games can have good stories. That's all.

Gaiff

You keep repeating the same names over and over and you keep saying that I believe Mario or Ryu are the sole reasons for the game's success, but I never mentioned them.
I keep repeating those names because they are some of the most iconic characters in games and most of them don't have games with a story worth a lick.
There are examples where you are correct and there are examples where you are absolutely not. Action games can have good stories. That's all.
I never said they can't. I'm saying that it doesn't matter as long as the gameplay is good. If Black Myth Wukong has an amazing story, cool. If it doesn't, it's cool too. What matters the most is if the gameplay is good. If the game plays great but has a shit story, it'll be a hit. If the story is great but the gameplay is shit, it'll flop.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

I'm sure you did.
Thanks for acknowledging.

I absolutely did. I played all 7 of the Greek games. Collected the novels. The comics. The board and card games. All to collect more lore and in depth character statements and motivations.

As did a lot of other people on Youtube who post GoW content.

A lot of people cared about God of War's story. And Devil May Cry as well, for the same reasons.

Ninja Gaiden sure, cant say anyone cared about the story in that series.

Just saw a video analyst about the monster and boss in the game. Can't share the video since they use vietnamese.

But it is very interesting. Every bosses in the game are monster/god from original story.

Not sure the story will be focus in this game but I like every subtle details they put in.

RainyNguyen

I do, but this isn't about Journey to the West. This is about the relevance of a story in an action game.

I bet you it doesn't and is just there to give you a reason to whack the myriads of bosses over the head.

I'm sure they'll have some dialogue, but the story won't be a focal aspect of the game nor be especially important.

Which is why most action games have paper-thin stories with weak characters? Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, God of War, Bayonetta, and the list goes on. You can practically count those with a decent story on one hand. If it was so important, more developers would put more effort into them like they do for RPGs or story-driven games. They don't, because people by and large don't care about the writing in action games.
JTTW is a work deeply imbued with the spirit and philosophy of Buddhism, and Black Myth: Wukong will delve even further into this, particularly exploring its darker aspects. That's why I say the game's storyline will play an important role, carrying many profound symbolic meanings, unlike the more straightforward games from the West.

No, it isn't. No one gave a shit about the story of the OG trilogy. It was the story of an angry musclebound dude who killed Greek gods in the most gruesome ways to have his revenge. The characters were paper thin, the plot made no sense, and the character development was awful. David Jaffe straight-up said that he wrote the original Kratos to be pulp and that the new series switched to being more literary.

Yeah, so?

Because it's an important aspect of the game. Wukong isn't aiming for that, so who cares?

Are you even following the discussion? I'm saying that no one cares about the story. You can have a bad story, but this doesn't stop you from writing a badass and iconic character. Next, you're going to tell me that people love Mario so they care about the stories in Mario games?
Hi! I’m one person. I gave a shit about the story of the OG trilogy.

Guess that kinda kills your entire premise huh?

Last edited:
Top Bottom