• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys, I want it just as bad you all!

They're also moving ahead with FF2 ideas so, no good news to speak of.

As some people have pointed out earlier in the thread Sony also said they were going ahead with the Amazing Spider-Man 3 and Sinister Six. I think they even said they were going ahead with Sinister Six even after the Spider-Man deal was announced. Which we now know is not happening.

Sponge

Banned
Another thing to consider is that it took two Amazing Spider-man films for Sony to decide to go ahead with a deal. I think if Fan4tastic 2 happens and doesn't bring in money then we're looking at a better chance of Fox striking a deal.

giphy.gif

Unfortunately.

Complete tonal shift too. I was told they were going to "shoot for The Avenger's tone."

And so that I'm not at risk of being shot and killed by lawyers, I'm going silent.

Sorry ya'll!

Great. They don't know what to do with the property so they're just going to try to ape Avengers. Cuz that worked so well in the last 10 minutes of F4.

Garlador

Unfortunately.

Complete tonal shift too. I was told they were going to "shoot for The Avenger's tone."

And so that I'm not at risk of being shot and killed by lawyers, I'm going silent.

Sorry ya'll!

What nobody at Fox has once said, ever: "we'll shoot for a Fantastic Four tone."

SpaceWolf

Banned
Unfortunately.

Sorry ya'll!

giphy.gif

No-one could be that deluded. It would be like making a sequel to The Adventures of Pluto Nash.

A lot of hot air at best.

Would be nice but I need more backing this up before I get excited

It's not a stretch but it sounds too good to be true. Remember Marvel was OK with just getting Galactus and Silver Surfer for Daredevil extended rights a few years back. It could be something limited like that.

Wasn't that not true as well?

What a shocker. I guess after three failures they may as well give it back to Marvel. Oh wait debunked... well... It sounded plausible.

LakeEarth

Of course it's not true.

It's funny how Fox keeps making bad movies of the Fantastic Four to keep the rights to it, as if they are going to do something worthwhile with the franchise EVENTUALLY. Sure thing guys.

NMFried

To be fair guys, isn't this exactly how Sony played the Spider-Man game? We all thought the rights may reverse, yet we had ASM 3 and 4, Sinister Six and an Aunt May film in the works?

Give it time. The first family shall return.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
To be fair guys, isn't this exactly how Sony played the Spider-Man game? We all thought the rights may reverse, yet we had ASM 3 and 4, Sinister Six and an Aunt May film in the works?

It's possible Fox wants to wring as much money as possible from Fant4stic's home video release before allowing Marvel to make an announcement.

Eh Sony pictures is a very different beast. They need a good, highly profitable Spider-Man movie ASAP. Fox could basically afford to let the property sit until someone else comes to them with a half decent idea.

I don't think they'll push forward with a sequel in the end but will quietly cancel it and just wait it out to attempt another reboot in 5-6 years.

Penguin

Eh Sony pictures is a very different beast. They need a good, highly profitable Spider-Man movie ASAP. Fox could basically afford to let the property sit until someone else comes to them with a half decent idea.

I don't think they'll push forward with a sequel in the end but will quietly cancel it and just wait it out to attempt another reboot in 5-6 years.

Ha, glad someone beat me to it.

Just comparing what Sony says doesn't work because from a franchise and financial standpoint, the two companies aren't even in the same ballpark in what they need right now.

FOX has a hot comic book property, they don't need FF to be a hit... sure it would be lovely, but they can afford to keep throwing crap at the wall.

Sony is in a position where they may lose Bond at the end of the year, and nothing else has really stuck for them recently. They need Spider-man to be big... and I guess MCU exposure was one way

Neoxon

Unfortunately.

Sorry ya'll!
And now it's clear that Fox doesn't know what to do with the Fantastic Four.

Ha, glad someone beat me to it.

Just comparing what Sony says doesn't work because from a franchise and financial standpoint, the two companies aren't even in the same ballpark in what they need right now.

FOX has a hot comic book property, they don't need FF to be a hit... sure it would be lovely, but they can afford to keep throwing crap at the wall.

Sony is in a position where they may lose Bond at the end of the year, and nothing else has really stuck for them recently. They need Spider-man to be big... and I guess MCU exposure was one way

Nah man Goosebumps will save Sony pictures, they'll make so much bank off fuckin Goosebumps that they'll cancel their deal with Marvel and make their stupid ass Sinister Six and Aunt May movies

Ovid

Another thing to consider is that it took two Amazing Spider-man films for Sony to decide to go ahead with a deal. I think if Fan4tastic 2 happens and doesn't bring in money then we're looking at a better chance of Fox striking a deal.
Why would they make a second one? That doesn't make any financial sense at all.

That makes sense.

ASM1, despite making less than Raimi's films, was still a pretty successful movie. Reviewed well too.

Majanew

Banned
ASM1, despite making less than Raimi's films, was still a pretty successful movie. Reviewed well too.
ASM1 did $757 million
ASM2 did $708 million

So not sure what he's talking about. Nowhere near the disaster that is F4. But yay, FOX gets to shit on fans with more movies.

Sponge

Banned
Why would they make a second one? That doesn't make any financial sense at all.

If Fox is to be believed, they think there's a good Fantastic 4 film with Fant4stic's cast "somewhere" and they just have to find it. It could just be PR but as it stands right now they're going ahead with a sequel.

ASM1 did $757 million
ASM2 did $708 million

So not sure what he's talking about. Nowhere near the disaster that is F4. But yay, FOX gets to shit on fans with more movies.

ASM were never bombs but if I remember right Sony wasn't happy with the number they got back for ASM2. They were expecting their Spider-man franchise to be a lot bigger.

Penguin

If Fox is to be believed, they think there's a good Fantastic 4 film with Fant4stic's cast "somewhere" and they just have to find it. It could just be PR but as it stands right now they're going ahead with a sequel.

ASM were never bombs but if I remember right Sony wasn't happy with the number they got back for ASM2. They were expecting their Spider-man franchise to be a lot bigger.

The problem with Spider-man was more the trend... then the quality

1 Spider-Man 3 $890.9
2 Spider-Man $821.7
3 Spider-Man 2 $783.8
4 The Amazing Spider-Man $757.9
5 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 $709.0

Except for Spider-man 2 to 3, every film has made less than the previous one.

Garlador

Compared to its budget, when Fox made "Elektra", it only made 131% more than its initial projected budget at the box office. Since theaters and distributors take a huge cut of those returns, failed to recoup their losses, and Fox saw no more use for the Daredevil franchise and let it lapse. Marvel picked it up.

Compared to its budget, when Fox made "Fant4stic", it has only made 139% more than its initial projected budget at the box office.

... Hmmm.

The problem with Spider-man was more the trend... then the quality

1 Spider-Man 3 $890.9
2 Spider-Man $821.7
3 Spider-Man 2 $783.8
4 The Amazing Spider-Man $757.9
5 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 $709.0

Except for Spider-man 2 to 3, every film has made less than the previous one.
Well, the Fantastic Four movies have BOTH going against them.

1 Fantastic Four $330.6 million 27% Rotten Tomatoes
2 Rise of the Silver Surfer $289 million 37% Rotten Tomatoes
3 Fant4stic $167.1 million 9% Rotten Tomatoes

With spiderman its just a simple fact that every movie has made less than the last and that is not the direction you want to go in with an IP that has that kind of potential.

Sony could have just got their shit together and tried to make the best Spidey movie they could but that was still no guarantee that they'd get the returns they'd want. Their best bet was to have Marvel take the wheel and give Spidey the kind of buzz he would get from joining up with the Avengers. They can get that MCU cred and also have a (hopefully) decent Spider-Man movie to build a new franchise on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom