• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

Den of Geek just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Super Hero Movie culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in musicals where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over with fake clickbait rumors, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the click baited public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to visit Den of Geek for any articles, nor will they believe any of Den of Geeks rumors. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Den of Geek has alienated an entire market with this move.

Den of Geek, publicly apologize and retract the article or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Never gets old.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Den of Geek just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Super Hero Movie culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in musicals where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over with fake clickbait rumors, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the click baited public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to visit Den of Geek for any articles, nor will they believe any of Den of Geeks rumors. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Den of Geek has alienated an entire market with this move.

Den of Geek, publicly apologize and retract the article or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Latino Review and Umberto Gonzalez are still online.

That's not what you said nor I said

I'm saying that true or false, no one really "blacklists" a site based on how accurate their rumors are or... how good their writing it

There are a crap ton of sites that post nothing but junk rumors but remain in circulation because people know their name.

I think Father_Brain pointed out two. I'm fairly certain most people don't believe Bleeding Cool, but a top site for a lot of people. I have my qualms with them, but Latino-Review has been mixed.

The long and shot of it, is it hurts their cred with a small fraction of people, but not enough where it will do any damage to em really.

And Devin's logic is sound...

I totally agree that it is a complete longshot but "a potential billion dollar movie franchise". What?

Also isn't the Marvel end of the deal for TV rights entirely or just the two shows?

If Fox thought there was money in the property they would have made more than 3 films in 10 years.

Penguin

I totally agree that it is a complete longshot but "a potential billion dollar movie franchise". What?

Also isn't the Marvel end of the deal for TV rights entirely or just the two shows?

It may never be, but I guess the thinking is.. we've now had.. what 5 comic book movies cross the billion dollar mark?

Or even barring that.. have two movies gross between 500-750 million, it isn't that tough

FOX just needs to find the right formula!

It may never be, but I guess the thinking is.. we've now had.. what 5 comic book movies cross the billion dollar mark?

Or even barring that.. have two movies gross between 500-750 million, it isn't that tough

FOX just needs to find the right formula!

Nothing about Fantastic Four (2015) tells me that Fox have any interest in finding a formula. It was a trainwreck. Hopefully one day we'll know exactly why.

They even almost drove X-men into the ground with X3 and Origins. It's been a hell of a gamble on their end. Doubling down on Xmen seems a smart way to go.

Penguin

Nothing about Fantastic Four (2015) tells me that Fox have any interest in finding a formula. It was a trainwreck. Hopefully one day we'll know exactly why.

Oh that's true, but there's potential in it.. they can try.. as many more times as they like... one big hit is really all they need

Where as TV will be nice, but won't make them a ton of money or could be cancelled after a season or two.

They even almost drove X-men into the ground with X3 and Origins. It's been a hell of a gamble on their end. Doubling down on Xmen seems a smart way to go.

I get the point, from a quality standpoint, but financially, X3 was the highest grossing X-Film until Days of Future Past

All I care about regarding this topic is getting Doom into the MCU.
Have Thanos defeated and a few heroes killed in Infinity War, have Doom take advantage of the power vacuum and start some shit leading up to something sort of like he did in the original Secret Wars.

Ah, a he said/she said duel of the sources. Collider is usually pretty good but that their source seems to think Fox always retained the X-Men tv rights -- when we know Fox themselves said just the opposite -- makes me dubious.

This one looks like its complicated. Fox and Marvel sued each other over "Mutant X" about ten years ago.

From what I can remember about that, Marvel retains all television rights BUT can't make a property that capitalizes on Fox's movie properties without Fox's express approval.

So the answer there was that neither one could make any worthwhile projects on TV involving the X-men without the approval of the other.

Not that this completely throws coldwater on what Collider is saying, but the part about Fox already having X-men TV show access at least until August..Was not true.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/x-men-tv-series-may-be-coming-to-fox-soon-142503/

For] X-Men, we're in negotiations with Marvel. We're hopeful we'll be able to announce something soon. We're not closed on a deal yet, but it's something we're definitely pursuing," said Dana Walden, the Fox TV Group chairman and CEO.

I mean really it could just be wording. Maybe they have a framework of a deal, but since the dotted line hasn't been signed, they can still claim 'no deal'

Oh that's true, but there's potential in it.. they can try.. as many more times as they like... one big hit is really all they need

Where as TV will be nice, but won't make them a ton of money or could be cancelled after a season or two.

I get the point, from a quality standpoint, but financially, X3 was the highest grossing X-Film until Days of Future Past

Fox has tried three separate times to turn FF into a profitable venture and failed SPECTACULARLY. in addition the lore simply doesn't work well with their X-men franchise which IS already successful.

Fox has every motivation to unload the property in exchange for expanding the XMEN to TV...and TV is HUGE business when you have a hit.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Comic Movie Threads, what do you expect? 75% of the people in those threads think they are comic experts because they saw a bunch of movies.

Of course. Because you dont confirm stuff that is only in negotions.

He could have give a non-answer, but his comment was so clear cut and straightaway, i am imagining there's some unknown clauses (that's not publicly known) that's preventing things from happening.

Fox has tried three separate times to turn FF into a profitable venture and failed SPECTACULARLY. in addition the lore simply doesn't work well with their X-men franchise which IS already successful.

Fox has every motivation to unload the property in exchange for expanding the XMEN to TV...and TV is HUGE business when you have a hit.

Were the original 2 FF movies a failure? I was under the impression they did ok. Not amazing but still at least turned a profit.

New #1 incoming

Comic movies are just as frustrating as actual comic books.

Experien

Were the original 2 FF movies a failure? I was under the impression they did ok. Not amazing but still at least turned a profit.

Comic movies are just as frustrating as actual comic books.

wikipedia says box office: $619,627,482 & budget of $230 million for the first one. $130 million budget and $289 box office for the 2nd. So I'd say not a huge failure.

Garlador

Great News,

but what can Marvel even do with FF at this point?

FF rights are more than just the FF.

We're talking Doctor Doom here. And Galactus, Silver Surfer, The Heralds of Galactus, Skrulls, Kang the Conquerer, Uatu, Annihilus, and countless others.

Yeah, the way Ronan was handled was a big red flag. Previous meh villains weren't nearlybas worrying. I figured someone like Ronan would get the Loki treatment but yeesh... Ended up being the one sour note of GotG.
As someone who adored Guardians of the Galaxy, in both comic and film form, Ronan was the ONLY major issue I had. What a waste of a great character. I don't even consider him a villain in the comics at this point. He's too interesting and complex.
tumblr_inline_n9w758GRmC1rl2vqs.jpg

027.jpg

Yep. If Fox already had TV rights,

My understanding was that they do have the rights, but they still need the Marvel OK. That doesn't mean Marvel owns the rights themselves, just Fox can't move forward without getting some sort of allowance from Marvel to do so.

Everyone thought that meant a tit-for-tat sort of negotiation where something changes hands, but it could simply have been a matter of Fox making a case, and Marvel asking for whatever they're doing to stick to certain parameters.

Which might explain why it's a fuckin' LEGION show.

Neoxon

Edit: Nevermind, I appear to be mistaken.
Wolverine & the X-Men was in the same canon as EMH. The MRD was explicitly referenced, Vision stole adamantium from Weapon X, a number of mutants were on Fury's suspicion board during the Secret Invasion arc, & Wolverine was one of the New Avengers in the back end of Season 2. Marvel had the TV rights to the X-Men.

Penguin

They don't have motivation to.. because they don't have to try another film for what 6-7 years?

They can sit on the property until they find another version they like that works.

In your case, the ideal situation

FOX keeps FF/X-Men Rights
Marvel allows em to produce X-Men shows with a profit-sharing set-up

If there's big business in TV, Marvel doesn't lose out, and have none of the risk involved.

My understanding was that they do have the rights, but they still need the Marvel OK. That doesn't mean Marvel owns the rights themselves, just Fox can't move forward without getting some sort of allowance from Marvel to do so.

Everyone thought that meant a tit-for-tat sort of negotiation where something changes hands, but it could simply have been a matter of Fox making a case, and Marvel asking for whatever they're doing to stick to certain parameters.

I assume animated rights and live action are different. Or was this a recent deal? Since I believe Wolverine and the X-Men was a Marvel Animation thing.

Neoxon

I assume animated rights and live action are different. Or was this a recent deal? Since I believe Wolverine and the X-Men was a Marvel Animation thing.
It was. We also had both Wolverine & Deadpool in Ultinate Spider-Man (though all future appearances for both have been cancelled for future episodes).

Thank you. Too much wishful thinking in this thread and not enough clear-headedness. Fox always had live action rights. It's on those grounds that they sued Marvel on the Mutant X TV show more than a decade ago that it violated their IP rights. Fox needed Marvel sign-off to produce TV shows and that's what the negotiations were on.

It was. But recently the VP of Marvel animation or something like that confirmed that Fox now has the X-Men animation rights too.

Edit: source is here

http://www.newsarama.com/23958-eccc-2015-marvel-animation-presents.html

Kevinroc

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but has anyone discussed the possibility that Fox and Marvel made a deal over the Fantastic Four similar to the deal Sony and Marvel made over Spider-Man?

Neoxon

Thank you. Too much wishful thinking in this thread and not enough clear-headedness. Fox always had live action rights. It's on those grounds that they sued Marvel on the Mutant X TV show more than a decade ago that it violated their IP rights. Fox needed Marvel sign-off to produce TV shows and that's what the negotiations were on.
Then explain the Marvel-produced X-Men cartoons.

wikipedia says box office: $619,627,482 & budget of $230 million for the first one. $130 million budget and $289 box office for the 2nd. So I'd say not a huge failure.

That's way off. The first film only did about 330 million worldwide, split roughly evenly between foreign and domestic. Budget was about 100 million. $230 million budget for FF would be insanity!

Wikipedia and BOM both agree here. Is that $619 for the entire franchise?

Garlador

There are. For instance, Marvel retained full control of animated Spider-Man TV rights, if I'm not mistaken, while Sony got nothing.

Hence why Agent Coulson himself popped up in Ultimate Spider-man rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom