• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Moonlight

Banned
It's just a random as hell choice. I hear it's popular in Japan, so maybe that's why.
It's the most popular generation 5 Pokemon in Japan. Given that every other Pokemon on the roster bar a couple exceptions are strictly populist picks, it's not at all surprising.

Menitta

It's the most popular generation 5 Pokemon in Japan. Given that every other Pokemon on the roster bar a couple exceptions are strictly populist picks, it's not at all surprising.

I can believe that. It's incredibly goofy. if I were to pick a gen 5 Pokemon, I'd pick Excadrill, but that's just me. The lamp is champ!

Anung

Un Rama
Finished Dark Souls 3 today with 40 hours on the clock. Was by no means rushing either but to be honest I didn't find it all that hard. And I don't mean that in a bragging git gud way. More just that I've played so much Souls that the tricks and bosses aren't as as effective at tricking or punishing me. Great game though. I think I loved it more than bloodborne which says a lot considering I love Lovecraft so much.

I'm ready for that LP!

hupla

i hope pat comes to the Gaming con is Mississauga they are going to im thinking of going and id love to meet the whole Crew

Edzi

Finished Dark Souls 3 today with 40 hours on the clock. Was by no means rushing either but to be honest I didn't find it all that hard. And I don't mean that in a bragging git gud way. More just that I've played so much Souls that the tricks and bosses aren't as as effective at tricking or punishing me. Great game though. I think I loved it more than bloodborne which says a lot considering I love Lovecraft so much.

I'm ready for that LP!

I'm only about 5 hours in so far, and while it does feel easier, you're right that it's mostly just us being used to the games by now. The bosses and enemy attack patterns are really well designed, especially when compared to DS2 (Which had the most terribly designed encounters/bosses in the series, including the DLC). They have challenging and varied patterns that feel fair, yet require you to actually be alert and on point to dodge. Dodging Vordt's repeated lunging attacks might be one of my favorite things in the game so far just because of how cool it felt/looked to pull off.

Duplolas

Banned
kgO81k0.png

Just going to put this here.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm only about 5 hours in so far, and while it does feel easier, you're right that it's mostly just us being used to the games by now. The bosses and enemy attack patterns are really well designed, especially when compared to DS2 (Which had the most terribly designed encounters/bosses in the series, including the DLC). They have challenging and varied patterns that feel fair, yet require you to actually be alert and on point to dodge. Dodging Vordt's repeated lunging attacks might be one of my favorite things in the game so far just because of how cool it felt/looked to pull off.

Yeah, the ebb and flow of a souls game is second nature now due to sheer exposure to the series. I'm glad they are taking a break as I think the series could use a breather.

Oh hell yeah, the encounter design shits all over DS2. I'd rather find this game easy because it is well designed and fair than being a cheap unbalanced piece of shit that's hard because it's badly designed.

can someone pls point me to the STUPID FUCK that decided it was a good idea to not have save backups ingame -_-
i hope hes fired and loses his house
I LOST MY SAVE
FUCK YOU RANDOM PERSON
now i have to get my progress back of 17 hours in half that

Matsukaze

Wow, who knew matt could be more anime than liam?
Liam will take this as a challenge and will go kawaii like never before.

RE: Dark Souls III - Played for 7 or so hours. Really liked what I've seen so far, though I found the
Curse-Rotted Greatwood
to be pretty boring, despite loving its appearance and environment. Currently running around with the Red Hilted Halberd; I keep bouncing around from weapon to weapon, probably even more so than I did in DS2 and Bloodborne. I keep getting Bloodborne vibes from a lot of enemies; I'm fine with that, but a friend of mine watched Plague's stream and apparently he was fuming about enemies that are "too Bloodborne" or something. I'm curious what he meant by that, but I don't want to pry further in case I spoil myself on future areas or anything like that.

I already like this game a lot more than DS2 and I imagine it'll soon surpass Demon's Souls for me.

Matsukaze

Question to anyone currently playing DS3. Should i purchase DS3 if i played Ds2 and Bb?
I'd say so, but I'd also say the experience is best if you've played the original Dark Souls (then again, going from Bloodborne to DS1 is a helluva lot harder to swallow than Bloodborne to DS3, so I can't fault anyone for avoiding that hurdle).

From what I've played of DS3 (and I've played maybe 8 hours at most, so my two cents may not even be worth that much), the game does its best to avoid the weaknesses of DS2 (such as that game's questionable geography and the abundance of healing items that downplay the tactical importance of Estus). The combat doesn't meet Bloodborne levels of speed, but in general there's a noticeably swifter pace to fighting than in the other Souls games, which I attribute largely to the Weapon Arts skills and certain enemies going berserk when they see an opening to exploit. So far, the NPCs I've encountered have ranged from okay to pretty interesting, so in that area I already feel like DS3 has outpaced the slim pickings Bloodborne and DS2 offered (though I certainly won't deny there were a few NPCs from those games that I really liked). Then again, exploring the world of Bloodborne felt more intense and ominous to me than what I've encountered so far in DS3 (though I attribute this in part because this game, being a sequel of two other games, isn't the same unknown that Bloodborne was).

All in all, I'm having a blast with DS3, so I'd say if you've got the money lying around, it's a pretty good purchase.

Duplolas

Banned
PLAY DARK SOULS 1
SO MANY REFERENCES
you dont even know
Woolies gonna have his eventual playthrough of 1 super ruined and 3 ruined by proxy

I only played Dark Souls 2 so I am in the same boat as Woolie.

But there is a simple solution that allows you to fully under stand all the lore in Dark Souls 3 without having to go back and play Dark Souls 1.

Say screw it to all the lore in Dark Souls 3 entirely. Beat the game entirely. Then watch Vaati's "Lorethrough" of the game when he finishes it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya

Then play through the game again.

Edit: For those playing Dark Souls III... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MK...4VenyalTMA&annotation_id=annotation_503682989

Dark Souls III is now confirmed to be Fashion Souls III

Anung

Un Rama
but a friend of mine watched Plague's stream and apparently he was fuming about enemies that are "too Bloodborne" or something. I'm curious what he meant by that, but I don't want to pry further in case I spoil myself on future areas or anything like that.

I don't think Plague is going to like this game in that regard. There is a lot of Bloodborne influence that can be felt both in combat pacing, enemy and location design. Plus there is a lot of fan pandering too. Something he said he didn't particularly care for in Dark Souls 2.

Laputa_94

I don't think Plague is going to like this game in that regard. There is a lot of Bloodborne influence that can be felt both in combat pacing, enemy and location design. Plus there is a lot of fan pandering too. Something he said he didn't particularly care for in Dark Souls 2.

From the streams I watched he said he liked the game. But yeah he doesn't like some things like the second phase of
the dancer
fight where it will give very few openings since its attacking so much.

Edzi

From the streams I watched he said he liked the game. But yeah he doesn't like some things like the second phase of
the dancer

Wait, Plague said he likes it? Holy crap, that's huge.

so out of curiosity i looked up how many bosses were left
theres fucking 19 bosses not counting other boss like normal enemies that drop boss souls
LP confirmed longer than any other Souls LP, get ready boys and girls its gonna be a long ride

Matsukaze

the dancer
Speak of the devil,
Dancer
was kicking my ass from here to Timbuktu. That blender-o'-death attack is just obscene. I wonder what Pat will have to say when he sees it in action.

Moonlight

Banned
It's a bloody
chandelier
It's as stupid as it is cool
It's a ghost. Pretending to be something. With a great design and flavour. There's a pretty clear logical thread here that's absent from something like Garbodor or Muk, which are literally just living piles of garbage/sludge. I don't get why there's so much fixating on how it's 'just' x because every Pokemon ever is 'just' some sort of generic thing when you want to subtract any of the actual visual charm or distinction it has with the concept. Chandelure is cute and spooky. It rocks.

actually 'it's as stupid as it is cool' is like, are you agreeing? If it's not stupid, it's not cool. If it's cool, it's also stupid?

Numb

It's a ghost. Pretending to be something. With a great design and flavour. There's a pretty clear logical thread here that's absent from something like Garbodor or Muk, which are literally just living piles of garbage/sludge. I don't get why there's so much fixating on how it's 'just' x because every Pokemon ever is 'just' some sort of generic thing when you want to subtract any of the actual visual charm or distinction it has with the concept. Chandelure is cute and spooky. It rocks.

actually 'it's as stupid as it is cool' is like, are you agreeing? If it's not stupid, it's not cool. If it's cool, it's also stupid?

Being stupid is making it still cool
It's my secondary and
pikachu libre

Top Bottom