• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Nordicus

It'd be kinda funny/horrific seeing them play FFX-2 because that one's ATB and not pure turn-based, so they can't just sit on simple single moves as much.

It'd be kinda funny/horrific seeing them play FFX-2 because that one's ATB and not pure turn-based, so they can't just sit on simple single moves as much.

Yes. Probably one of the fastest ATBs as well. And throw job switching mid battle on top of that, it'll just be so hilarious/painful to watch.

Its a better game then FFX, so why not? Also of note, they didn't number the last episode as finale...
It's got more sidequest BS to do and that's about it. And that scene where 1000 words plays is fucking amazing. That's all I remember X-2 having on X. Everything else? Horrible. Especially the story.

That said, it has been a while since I've played it, so maybe it's just my hate-nostalgia talking, but I vividly remember it being awful.

It's got more sidequest BS to do and that's about it. And that scene where 1000 words plays is fucking amazing. That's all I remember X-2 having on X. Everything else? Horrible. Especially the story.

That said, it has been a while since I've played it, so maybe it's just my hate-nostalgia talking, but I vividly remember it being awful.

The story is dumb(and the game is pretty much entirely built around doing side quests/mission, iirc), but so is FFX's. Probably dumber, but you could almost argue that is as a point in its favor. Either way, I'd say the big thing FFx2 wins on, is a much better battle system. Job system is always a plus in my book(the ffx sphere grid is the worst, somewhere down there with the shit ffxiii had) and swapping dresses in battle was a nice replacement for the party swapping from FFX(probably the best part of its system, if arguably to good...). Opening the map from the get go was nice too, even if it took a while to unlock all the areas.

I will admit though, the battle system being the best part of ffx2 will probably not translate well to a sbf LP. And god forbid they put effort into learning a battle system and showing off what it can do, when they can stumble through it for 50 episodes or just equip the lazy shell and talk about how boring the fights are...

I forgot how terrible the Twilight Princess water dungeon is. At least it's not terrible and complex like the Ocarina and Majora's Mask ones tho.

Also, that ending to Part 16!!! Now I can't stop listening to roundabout.

KTnfQcq.gif

Sylas

I appreciate that Pat plays DS3 like it's DS2. GOTTA RUN THOSE CIRCLES AROUND ENEMIES THAT'LL REGULARLY WRECK YOUR SHIT FOR IT.

Like goddamn. If you're so insistent on staying below 70% for the roll, use it! Don't run dumb little circles all the time.

The story is dumb(and the game is pretty much entirely built around doing side quests/mission, iirc), but so is FFX's. Probably dumber, but you could almost argue that is as a point in its favor. Either way, I'd say the big thing FFx2 wins on, is a much better battle system. Job system is always a plus in my book(the ffx sphere grid is the worst, somewhere down there with the shit ffxiii had) and swapping dresses in battle was a nice replacement for the party swapping from FFX(probably the best part of its system, if arguably to good...). Opening the map from the get go was nice too, even if it took a while to unlock all the areas.

I will admit though, the battle system being the best part of ffx2 will probably not translate well to a sbf LP. And god forbid they put effort into learning a battle system and showing off what it can do, when they can stumble through it for 50 episodes or just equip the lazy shell and talk about how boring the fights are...
The dumb story is kinda a good point if only because it's more light-hearted that X. But that good point is taken away immediately because the writing/dialogue is a huge step backwards. If they did do an lp, I reckon half of what they'd say was 'wow, that was stupid' and shit like that.

And yeah, that battle system is super good, probly better than X's. I just wish the job system wasn't disguised as that stupid dress sphere thing.

You forget that Woolie knows about Paine and will want to get in on the short hair, female Squall bus.
Ugh, I forgot about Woolie's shit taste.

Anung

Un Rama
It impresses me how so many fans can consistently tune out Pat's pleas for mercy regarding spoilers and still see themselves as helping. I know he sorta gave up, but still.

I'm not a Kenny defender, but there was one thing that confused me about some of the decisions they made, especially towards the end of Season 2 - their occasional surprise at Kenny's negative reactions to answers that were obviously going to antagonize him.

There were a few times in that LP when they picked the crystal clear, no two ways about it "Fuck you, Kenny!" response and then sat there in what seemed to be disbelief going "I can't believe Kenny's getting upset we told him 'fuck you'."

That being said, I'm glad they are so anti-Kenny because Boatmaster and his expanded lore is such a great addition to the Zaibatsu Rogues Gallery.

Ahhhh, so it's more the lengths they went to hate on Kenny being a bit mental as opposed to the actual hating of Kenny.

Kemto of the boathand was my my favourite bit of Kenny law. The boat! The boat!

Strimei

THAT'S A LORD VESSEL ~ a minute into video 2

This is going to be a long LP

So long as we get beautiful moments like Pat's first death, it'll be great!

(Seriously though, how'd he not notice the huge amount of messages around it? That's such a clear warning sign)

Matsukaze

Dark Souls 3 Part 3 -
Pat still hungry for that early game high DEX.

Nice to see Pat is still biting off more than he can chew in certain encounters lol.

I also see they still don't know how to properly pronounce Cillian Murphy's name. Shocker. :p

Anung

Un Rama
Pat is way too thirsty for those backstabs, he's actually making fights harder than they are.

He'll learn the hard way. Game basically forces you to unlearn backstabs to a point.

Still not had the chance to watch the myself. Sounds hilarious and a bit cringey what with the lore speculation.

Gestahl

He'll learn the hard way. Game basically forces you to unlearn backstabs to a point.

Still not had the chance to watch the myself. Sounds hilarious and a bit cringey what with the lore speculation.

He's trying his damndest not to have to learn though, considering he apparently grinded 100-120k souls in the High Wall

Skrams

He's trying his damndest not to have to learn though, considering he apparently grinded 100-120k souls in the High Wall
fucking why pat
Pat is way too thirsty for those backstabs, he's actually making fights harder than they are.
Only time I think I've used backstabs is against Black Knights since it's faster and easier. Everything else, why even bother.
THAT'S A LORD VESSEL ~ a minute into video 2

This is going to be a long LP
I'm no loresman, but I saw it and thought it was supposed to be a replica of a Lord Vessel too unless Pat said he thought it was a legit lord vessel.

sjay1994

Yeah, the NPC quests are kind of a mess. They feel kind of random, even by Souls standards. I don't think I properly completed any of them my first playthrough, which I guess is fine since I went right into NG+, but would suck pretty bad for recording.

Yeah. Some are pretty simple to figure out like
Leonhard
but others like
Siegward
require that you know where you are looking.

no way on a blind run would I have known to find that well, then go to the tower in firelink, and then not to go to the irythll dungeon first because it breaks the quest line

sjay1994

I wonder how invasions will play out in this LP. People will probably be gunning to snipe Pat on the LP, however Pat is totally able to summon mass amounts of phantoms to gank invaders.

I personally hope for ganking, because as irritating as it is to fight against that... the sheer amount of shenanigans that can happen is incredible

The best PVP round I will ever have SPOILERS FOR MIDGAME

I want moments like these in the LP

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah. Some are pretty simple to figure out like
Leonhard
but others like
Siegward
require that you know where you are looking.

no way on a blind run would I have known to find that well, then go to the tower in firelink, and then not to go to the irythll dungeon first because it breaks the quest line
Anri
has some bullshit requirements, I'll tell you what.
Siegward's
not too bad by comparison, just absolutely fuck everything about getting to
Patches after he fucks you over on the bridge

Menitta

I wrote in a question this week. I asked "what is the longest game intro cutscene?"

I still think it's Okami.

If they didn't pick it, I'll just make a thread.

I wrote in a question this week. I asked "what is the longest game intro cutscene?"

I still think it's Okami.

If they didn't pick it, I'll just make a thread.

If I'm remembering correctly, Lost Odyssey has a long one. But it's probably some jank-ass PC game from before the year 2000.

Menitta

Depends on where you are ^^

I know it's up on EU and Asia PSN.

Current impressions from other players is that it's pretty damn hard and that "If you play it as a Souls game, you will get rekt." - paraphrased.

I got a Japanese PSN account ready on my PS4 so, that works.

You could just run audio clips of Liam's previous info-dumps on Vita games, no one would know. It's not like anyone actually keeps track of when anything releases for the system, and there's always some incredible-sounding thing happening without mention anyway. ("Hey guys, did you see the X-COM: Enemy Unknown release for Vita this week?!")

Top Bottom