• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

MrHoot

The problem with Pat being the only one in control and the only one to have played DS1 is that sometimes he'll just be blatantly wrong but still have woolie and matt believe him, it's great

Part 6:
Like saying siegward is actually the same character from DS1, forgetting that his name was Siegmeyer. Although fair to him, he's fucking identical in tone and appearance

Lol Pat's "circle around opponents until you can backstab" tactic gets consistently fucked by shield bashes, I love it. Fight like a normal person or get rekt.

Actually, it's totally fine to fish for backstabs and even hit the shield bash. He just hasn't realized the stagger from the bash wears off literally the instant before their follow-up attack, making it possible to roll out of it and into position for an actual backstab.

Backstabs are still super easy, it's just the method of fishing is to roll straight past the enemy and then turn and backstab them, rather than strafing.

Menitta

Is it me or have the podcasts been low-energy lately? They sound so tired. It was before the new mics too. If it's just me I'll shut up.

Skrams

What do they mean with Kars coming back in JoJo? This isn't even the first time they've talked about it and every time I'm thinking:
"No he doesn't.
What?
Have I missed something?"
Weird light novel bullshit. Stuff like 34 Kars existing and shit like that.

I'm surprised they didn't mention the Jorge Joestar novel or whatever that stupid bullshit is when Jorge was brought up.
Austin literally sounds like he's talking into a tin can. They have given him the most poverty Mic they could for his Best Friends debut.
I was super confused for a bit too as to whether he was in on skype or in the room. The tin can made me think skype, but they said he was there and I don't know. Then when Pat left and he got on for real, oh man, quality improvement. Lil sad he didn't talk a terrible amount during the podcast, but eh, that's what happens with guests a lot.
Is it me or have the podcasts been low-energy lately? They sound so tired. It was before the new mics too. If it's just me I'll shut up.
They just got back from PAX. I'd kind of expect low energy after a high energy weekend with only one day of rest maybe? I think you just hate continue to hate the new mics. They've also been going to a convention practically every weekend for a while now or they've been sick like the trash monsters they are.
Liams got some new kind of bullshit Vita and it's killing me that I don't know what it is.
Dev Kit because he's got Gio Corsi wrapped around his little finger. He can't look away from this beautiful azure eyes while they're having coffee literally every time they meet up.
"Speaking of pounding, my copy of Hatsune Miku Project Diva X came in the mail."

Besides the obvious joke, I didn't expect him to import Diva X. I thought he was a lil tired after f 2nd so he wouldn't import it since money or whatever. I would of imported it myself, but money. Disappointing to hear what I already heard though with the game just being stages and not stories central to each song. That's one of my favorite parts of the games and made me really resonate with certain songs.

So I'm playing Bayo 1 and 2 again for reasons, and it's kind of remarkable how much better a game Bayo 2 is. I had such fond memories of Bayo 1 too, but boy is it aggravating while you're still gathering abilities/magic. Bayo 2 also has so much more color to it!

Menitta

So I'm playing Bayo 1 and 2 again for reasons, and it's kind of remarkable how much better a game Bayo 2 is. I had such fond memories of Bayo 1 too, but boy is it aggravating while you're still gathering abilities/magic. Bayo 2 also has so much more color to it!

I'm always baffled when people say Bayo 1 is better. Like, yeah, the story is kinda better, but both are bad in the long run. Also, Bayo 1's weapons with all of their movesets are in Bayo 2.

Squishy3

I'm always baffled when people say Bayo 1 is better. Like, yeah, the story is kinda better, but both are bad in the long run. Also, Bayo 1's weapons with all of their movesets are in Bayo 2.
Bayo 1 has a better buildup to the various confrontations and is more demanding of a player overall with the iterative enemy design.

Bayo 2's enemy design just isn't as good because nothing strips dodge witch time away from you, or only able to activate witch time on certain attacks.

See: Jeanne vs Masked Lumen Sage, you can activate witch time on every attack versus only being able to do it when dodging Jeanne's wicked weaves. There's also no added complexity each subsequent fight with him versus Jeanne 1 2 and 3.

Squishy3

Fair enough. I never looked too deep into stuff like that.

In the end, I'd rather play Bayo 2 than Bayo 1.
Oh, I love Bayo 2, it's not a bad game by any means. It just doesn't strike that good balance with the encounter design that Bayo 1 did. I even love the conclusion to Bayo 2. It just didn't feel as rewarding to play as Bayo 1 or Wonderful 101 did because it never really challenges someone who put tons of hours into Bayo 1. If you're good at activating witch time, you just coast right through Bayo 2, because there's no attack you can't activate witch time from.

Menitta

Oh, I love Bayo 2, it's not a bad game by any means. It just doesn't strike that good balance with the encounter design that Bayo 1 did. I even love the conclusion to Bayo 2. It just didn't feel as rewarding to play as Bayo 1 or Wonderful 101 did because it never really challenges someone who put tons of hours into Bayo 1. If you're good at activating witch time, you just coast right through Bayo 2, because there's no attack you can't activate witch time from.

I guess that's why I didn't coast through Bayo 2 because I'm not good at it. :p

I totally get your point though. I'll have to replay Bayo 1. I first played it when it came out on Wii U so after I beat it once, I went straight to Bayo 2 and never touched it again.

Jintor

*slow barf*

haruhi-chan is great in a vomit rainbows kind of way

Bayo 2 is an amazing game and better than Bayo 1 in every way exceeeeeeeeeeept for the actual combat itself (and the finale), which is... like, 95% of the reason I love bayo 1. The way they made Umbran Climax special was to remove a lot of the stagger, hitstun and other effects from normal weaves, so where combat in Bayo revolved largely around knowing when to cut short a combo to get a weave out to give yourself some breathing space to start up again, Bayo 2 makes weaves almost functionally useless except as magic meter builders, requiring you to get to Umbran Climax mode to do stuff that was easy to do in normal.

Also I'm not as big a fan of most of its enemies, but I didn't play Bayo 2 nearly as much as Bayo 1 so I also never got used to them really.

Bayo 1 has way better boss fights and enemy design. Combat in 2 overall is better, but the air combat is ass.

Squishy3

I guess that's why I didn't coast through Bayo 2 because I'm not good at it. :p

I totally get your point though. I'll have to replay Bayo 1. I first played it when it came out on Wii U so after I beat it once, I went straight to Bayo 2 and never touched it again.
Yeah like, it's a case of a sequel improving nearly everything, but there wasn't anything in it to trip up people who'd played Bayo 1 significantly.

If nobody's ever done it, watch the LP for Bayo 1 by Kamiya. It's amazing and there's so much insight into what work they put into that game.

https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/tag/developer-commentary/

I'm still holding up hope he'll eventually do one for W101. I wanna know everything about the development process for that game.

EndMerit

Jintor

Yeah like, it's a case of a sequel improving nearly everything, but there wasn't anything in it to trip up people who'd played Bayo 1 significantly.

If nobody's ever done it, watch the LP for Bayo 1 by Kamiya. It's amazing and there's so much insight into what work they put into that game.

https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/tag/developer-commentary/

I'm still holding up hope he'll eventually do one for W101. I wanna know everything about the development process for that game.

also for some reason he recorded it in potato quality.

MrHoot

In other news Plague has gone mad and is now studying crab behaviour while wearing worker hats in souls 3 after a confusing experience with a skeleton ball

Matsukaze

I'd be more irked by Pat's over-leveling if his tendency to misread and underestimate his enemies didn't serve as a natural counter-balance to the benefits of bigger stats.

There are a couple bosses ahead that I know will make him eat shit if he gets cocky.

PAT YOU FUCKIN' SHIT

ALREADY OVERLEVELING TO SHIT OFF SCREEN

It's fine, he's still going to get completely destroyed by:

1. Sheer drops..
2. Swordpope.
3. Gatordawgs.
4. Trustworthiness/Unbreakableness.
5. Roaming packs of FUCKING WHORES in New Montreal, Lothric.
6. Roaming packs of FUCKING WHORES in Secret Reptile Temple.
7. Ballistae.
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Spinal.
9. Dracolord Voldemort.
10. Bran and Hodor.
11. The Birdemic.
12. I don't even have a joke for those big beast-looking cunts with the trees, just fuck them.
13. Mimics. (Does he seriously not know how to tell them apart...?)
14. MMA Champ Gunny.
15. WAY TOO MANY SKELINGTONS.
16. Lava.
17. Standing in wyvern's breath.
18. Trying and failing to jump onto a giant monster's head.
19. Leeches.
20. I seriously don't even know what those bitey things that curse you are, but at least once to them, for sure.
21. Hamburger Helpers.
22. Rooftop Sniper REMIIIIIIIIX (x2).
23. Lack of wax.
24. Rats. (Yes, really.)
25. Greirats. (Yes, definitely.)
26. New Londo's Finest.
27. Bloodborne Cosplayers.
28. Fumelord Trollchamp.
29. The Black Knight's Gift.
30. At least one vastly underleveled and seemingly harmless Hollow flailing around like he's covered in spiders and the spiders are also on fire, because there's no Poise so this is now the most goddamn dangerous thing in the entire universe.

Strimei

I love that, while in the presence of firebomb throwing enemies, Pat continues to stick close to explosive barrels.

30. At least one vastly underleveled and seemingly harmless Hollow flailing around like he's covered in spiders and the spiders are also on fire, because there's no Poise so this is now the most goddamn dangerous thing in the entire universe.

To be fair, this was also fairly true in DaS1, at least in my own experience. I got schooled hard by a torch wielding hollow more than a few times.

Moonlight

Banned
I went completely blind on Dark Souls 3 and I still managed to find that wall just fine.

It's fine, he's still going to get completely destroyed by:

1. Sheer drops..
2. Swordpope.
3. Gatordawgs.
4. Trustworthiness/Unbreakableness.
5. Roaming packs of FUCKING WHORES in New Montreal, Lothric.
6. Roaming packs of FUCKING WHORES in Secret Reptile Temple.
7. Ballistae.
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Spinal.
9. Dracolord Voldemort.
10. Bran and Hodor.
11. The Birdemic.
12. I don't even have a joke for those big beast-looking cunts with the trees, just fuck them.
13. Mimics. (Does he seriously not know how to tell them apart...?)
14. MMA Champ Gunny.
15. WAY TOO MANY SKELINGTONS.
16. Lava.
17. Standing in wyvern's breath.
18. Trying and failing to jump onto a giant monster's head.
19. Leeches.
20. I seriously don't even know what those bitey things that curse you are, but at least once to them, for sure.
21. Hamburger Helpers.
22. Rooftop Sniper REMIIIIIIIIX (x2).
23. Lack of wax.
24. Rats. (Yes, really.)
25. Greirats. (Yes, definitely.)
26. New Londo's Finest.
27. Bloodborne Cosplayers.
28. Fumelord Trollchamp.
29. The Black Knight's Gift.
31. crab battle

Top Bottom