• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

As far as Metal Gear goes I'm going to pick it up down the line but I have no problem watching this lp right now.

I think this is sometime people in here seem to forget, or not even realize. Most people don't actually care about spoilers, and in fact actually enjoy them. There may well be many reasons these lp's don't get as many views, but it won't be because people are worried about be spoiled.

There may be enough people that either don't care or play the game at the same time like me with Until Dawn. It's fun to see what they do in a sequence I just played through. As far as Metal Gear goes I'm going to pick it up down the line but I have no problem watching this lp right now.

if you care about the Danganronpa series even the slightest though
avoid that LP at all costs

Altairre

I think this is sometime people in here seem to forget, or not even realize. Most people don't actually care about spoilers, and in fact actually enjoy them. There may well be many reasons these lp's don't get as many views, but it won't be because people are worried about be spoiled.

Pretty much. I care about spoilers in some games, but Metal Gear is not one of them. Just want to see all that sweet Kojima craziness.

if you care about the Danganronpa series even the slightest though
avoid that LP at all costs

I would be interested in checking those out, unfortunately I don't own a PSP/Vita.

MrHoot

I'm almost done with my MGS1 playthrough (on PS1..i only knew later that Twin Snakes was actually a MGS1 remake. That's how little I actually know)

I chuckled when i heard "WHAT ARE YOU FIGHTING FOR". I knew it came from MGS, not that specific entry tho

I'm almost done with my MGS1 playthrough (on PS1..i only knew later that Twin Snakes was actually a MGS1 remake. That's how little I actually know)

I chuckled when i heard "WHAT ARE YOU FIGHTING FOR". I knew it came from MGS, not that specific entry tho

I didn't realise it came from MGS, despite having played it. I just assumed they were referencing this gem.

Pretty much. I care about spoilers in some games, but Metal Gear is not one of them. Just want to see all that sweet Kojima craziness.

I would be interested in checking those out, unfortunately I don't own a PSP/Vita.

the first one can still be played
through methods ill be banned to the shadow realm if i talk about

MrHoot

I didn't realise it came from MGS, despite having played it. I just assumed they were referencing this gem.

Oh man, could be that as well.

Eeeh, whynotboth.jpg

also gotta say, MGS1 aged pretty damn well (playing the ps1 version on my vita at the moment). It's janky of course in some places like sticking to walls is a bit too easy, and there's the limitations of the time. But the flow of the gameplay still is pretty strong in 2015.
Even almost all of the gimmicks are intact, even for psycho mantis (except the controller rumble of course). I recommend tho that you transfer any of the ps1 saves you have of your other ps1 games on your vita to the MGS "card" so you get the full psycho mantis experience

Oh man, could be that as well.

Eeeh, whynotboth.jpg

also gotta say, MGS1 aged pretty damn well (playing the ps1 version on my vita at the moment). It's janky of course in some places like sticking to walls is a bit too easy, and there's the limitations of the time. But the flow of the gameplay still is pretty strong in 2015.
Even almost all of the gimmicks are intact, even for psycho mantis (except the controller rumble of course). I recommend tho that you transfer any of the ps1 saves you have of your other ps1 games on your vita to the MGS "card" so you get the full psycho mantis experience
MGS1's biggest problem more than anything is that the stealth is too damn simple and easy. They should not have given you that much information to see at a time on your Soliton radar. It's actually kind of a double edged sword in a sense because it's what makes playing through it today not feel as clunky as many other games of that era, but I'm such a snob regarding in depth stealth mechanics that I continue to give the series such shit on the actual game play for...well, just about every entry I've played with the exception of 3, and that's because it had a more reliable way of communicating how well you were hidden by way of camouflage and not just the always ambiguous line of sight and vision cone bullshit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Every person that says they're going to watch the Danganronpa LP without playing the games is like a dagger in my heart.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sorry about the dagger Guardian but i did watch the anime of the first one if it helps.

It helps, I suppose, but I hear that the anime is pretty bad comparatively. Also Danganronpa 2 is way better than Danganronpa 1 for me.

Does it help that some of people will probably start playing the games because of this play through?

There are few series that are more dependent on twists and reveals than Danganronpa. By watching this LP before playing the previous games, people are actively making their future experiences worse. Is that better than not playing them at all? I'm not sure. That's a tough one. Because Danganronpa and Danganronpa 2 (2 moreso than 1), had some incredibly well orchestrated and brilliant experiences at the end that would have been completely ruined by spoilers.

I hate to be "that guy" but if people have even the slightest interest in playing Danganronpa in the future, I'd advise to hold off on watching the LP. If not, then I suppose it doesn't matter.

Honestly, I think that the SBF would have been better served by playing Danganronpa 1 and earlier MGS titles instead of what's currently being run.

Numb

It helps, I suppose, but I hear that the anime is pretty bad comparatively. Also Danganronpa 2 is way better than Danganronpa 1 for me.
Don't remember much from it. Usually have my backlog full all the time so i didn't think of even playing the games. The LP is fine with me. Until Dawn i got no interest in playing either so im cool on that front aswell. MGSV LP tho.....
Don't think i ever skipped an LP due to spoilers. Usually playing the game side by side and trying to stay ahead. Unless Liam is in the driver's seat then i gotta speed it up even more.

There are few series that are more dependent on twists and reveals than Danganronpa. By watching this LP before playing the previous games, people are actively making their future experiences worse. Is that better than not playing them at all? I'm not sure. That's a tough one. Because Danganronpa and Danganronpa 2 (2 moreso than 1), had some incredibly well orchestrated and brilliant experiences at the end that would have been completely ruined by spoilers.

I hate to be "that guy" but if people have even the slightest interest in playing Danganronpa in the future, I'd advise to hold off on watching the LP. If not, then I suppose it doesn't matter.

Honestly, I think that the SBF would have been better served by playing Danganronpa 1 and earlier MGS titles instead of what's currently being run.

If the danganronpa games are completely ruined by a couple spoilers, then as far i'm concern, that makes them sound like they weren't that good in the first place. And I know personally that spoilers aren't gonna ruin the MGS games. They are one hell of an experience and knowing that solid is the big bosses clone doesn't make MGS1 a waste of time to play or something.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If the danganronpa games are completely ruined by a couple spoilers, then as far i'm concern, that makes them sound like they weren't that good in the first place. And I know personally that spoilers aren't gonna ruin the MGS games. They are one hell of an experience and knowing that solid is the big bosses clone doesn't make MGS1 a waste of time to play or something.

Heh, I knew that was going to be the counterpoint. I can't say I agree.

A reveal can be an important component to an experience, especially within the context of a visual novel. MGS has separate gameplay components outside of the story. When you're dealing with a genre that is so exclusively dependent upon pacing of the narrative, then something like a spoiler becomes critical. It's a handicapped experience. An element of the game has been removed, much like if something was removed from the gameplay of a traditional game.

Now, that could just mean that visual novels aren't your thing. That's fair. But just because a reveal is so good that removing it handicaps the game, doesn't mean that the game wasn't good to begin with. It just means that reveal is really fucking good, and it's a damn shame to spoil yourself on it.

Agree with this, what they're doing now essentially forces a lot of people to choose between spoiling themselves or not watching an LP, which sucks. I personally quit watching the danganronpa one 20 minutes in since nothing made sense and will continue watching the MGS one since I don't care about its story.

Saturday Morning Scrublords - Veteran Combat

Website

Seeing as nobody posted it from earlier: Best Friends Play Star Fox Adventures (Part 14) & Website version

Where are we going?
MeaslyRevolvingAiredale.gif

After 4 weeks of Wrestling fighting games I was kind of hoping we'd get an FNF, but I guess not.

Also, regarding the whole watching the DR LP without playing the games, at least watch/read the stories of the previous games if you never plan on playing DR 1 and 2. If you don't then the plot of AE is not going to make any sense even with Woolie and Liam explaining things.

Heh, I knew that was going to be the counterpoint. I can't say I agree.

A reveal can be an important component to an experience, especially within the context of a visual novel. MGS has separate gameplay components outside of the story. When you're dealing with a genre that is so exclusively dependent upon pacing of the narrative, then something like a spoiler becomes critical. It's a handicapped experience. An element of the game has been removed, much like if something was removed from the gameplay of a traditional game.

Now, that could just mean that visual novels aren't your thing. That's fair. But just because a reveal is so good that removing it handicaps the game, doesn't mean that the game wasn't good to begin with. It just means that reveal is really fucking good, and it's a damn shame to spoil yourself on it.

I had a feeling you might say this as well. And I can actually say that you are wrong. Well, you are right, for you and a handful of other(very loud...) people, but a lot of people, knowing a big reveal ahead of time, doesn't actually make something a lesser experience and can in fact make it a better one. When people see the crazy reveal of 'whatever' in danganronpa, many will actually want to go back and see it for themselves and be super hyped for it and mean while get to enjoy the other 99% of the game the wasn't spoiled. In fact, that is kind of what i'm waiting for personally. And this applies to movies and book just as well, so the game being a VN doesn't really change much.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I had a feeling you might say this as well. And I can actually say that you are wrong. Well, you are right, for you and a handful of other(very loud...) people, but a lot of people, knowing a big reveal ahead of time, doesn't actually make something a lesser experience and can in fact make it a better one. When people see the crazy reveal of 'whatever' in danganronpa, many will actually want to go back and see it for themselves and be super hyped for it and mean while get to enjoy the other 99% of the game the wasn't spoiled. In fact, that is kind of what i'm waiting for personally. And this applies to movies and book just as well, so the game being a VN doesn't really change much.

Eh, I would simply say that I (and apparently a group of like minded and loud people) value things differently from you. Not sure why you're being so hostile here. You don't care about spoilers and they don't change your personal experience, which is fine. I'd say that you're in the minority, not me. But that's just conjecture on both our parts.

Eh, I would simply say that I (and apparently a group of like minded and loud people) value things differently from you. Not sure why you're being so hostile here. You don't care about spoilers and they don't change your personal experience, which is fine. I'd say that you're in the minority, not me. But that's just conjecture on both our parts.

Its not conjecture though. There have even been studies on it, showing most people enjoy spoilers. And I was only arguing against the idea that the LP is inherently a bad idea and that watching it will ruin the experience of the previous games for people.

That said I do hate the whole 'no spoilers!' thing, so I may be coming off more hostile then I intended.

Xux

Less than fifteen minutes in and they already have a game breaking bug they're testing that's way more interesting than the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Its not conjecture though. There have even been studies on it, showing most people enjoy spoilers. And I was only arguing against the idea that the LP is inherently a bad idea and that watching it will ruin the experience of the previous games for people.

That said I do hate the whole 'no spoilers!' thing, so I may be coming off more hostile then I intended.

That's interesting. I'm honestly really interested in reading the studies if you have a link. It's a surprising finding, considering how a "spoiler" is even a thing. Same for spoiler tags and spoiler threads. If most people didn't care, then I would think these things wouldn't even be an issue.

I maintain that it's still a bad idea in the context of danganronpa for most people. When you have what is essentially a murder mystery whodunnit, the turnabout is weakened for me if I already know the answer without figuring it out o my own.

Ultra Despair Girls is a game set in the middle of two games which kinda ruins both at the same time. And is part of a very story heavy series.
I mean I'd suggest not watching the LP if you have any intention of playing the games in the future, but at the same time this is just one weird ass LP that makes no sense why they're playing it. It really does seem like they wanted to play Danganronpa and this is the only game gameplay wise that could 'do' an LP. It is like doing an LP of a game that is in the middle of a saga that is directly follows the past game and leads straight into the third. Makes it even harder to think of an analogy because 1.5 actually spoils 2...

Yeah if anyone can think of a series of media that has a 1 and a 2 and then a 1.5 is released later, because it is like watching/reading/playing that without going through 1 and 2 first. I just don't get why you would do that at all.

I kinda like Danganronpa, I'm sorry ;-;

Anyway no one likes posting the Star Fox Adventure videos ;-;
I guess the Golden Age of LPs has ended. Now we need to wait until someone picks up another Behelit.

That's interesting. I'm honestly really interested in reading the studies if you have a link. It's a surprising finding, considering how a "spoiler" is even a thing. Same for spoiler tags and spoiler threads. If most people didn't care, then I would think these things wouldn't even be an issue.

I maintain that it's still a bad idea in the context of danganronpa for most people. When you have what is essentially a murder mystery whodunnit, the turnabout is weakened for me if I already know the answer without figuring it out o my own.

I originally heard of it on a episode of Idea Channel, but there is this studied done back in 2011 or so i just found. I couldn't find the study itself, but here's an news article on it(the entire first page of results were all talking about this study, expect one saying the opposite). http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

nope
the LP is the whole reason im playing them in the first place
i was gonna wait to play em but fuck that plan now lol

That's something I've wondered. Has there ever been an SBFP LP that made you go "oh, I should play those games now" and you just did it?

For me it was Yakuza 4. I was always eyeing up Yakuza, back when I got a PS3 in 2009(?) I downloaded the Yakuza 4 demo when it came out. I loved the combat, it felt rad. Then fastforward several years and I'm waiting for Yakuza 5 as my opportunity to jump in *cue laughtrack*. But as soon as the LP came up, I went down to my local game shop and just bought all the Yakuzas.
WORTH IT.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I originally heard of it on a episode of Idea Channel, but there is this studied done back in 2011 or so i just found. I couldn't find the study itself, but here's an news article on it(the entire first page of results were all talking about this study, expect one saying the opposite). http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

Thanks for the link. Very interesting stuff. I'll try to find the full published study if possible. I do wonder if the same results would be found with different media, considering that the article attributes the results to weighted value of the writing versus the actual plot, but these results are enlightening and warrant further study.

My issue with TPP playthrough is the way the game's structured and paced, it's pure gameplay. There's nothing interesting to comment on 75% of the time, or more. Even main missions are often just in-and-out, and the story is just sprinkled randomly within.

That's something I've wondered. Has there ever been an SBFP LP that made you go "oh, I should play those games now" and you just did it?

For me it was Yakuza 4. I was always eyeing up Yakuza, back when I got a PS3 in 2009(?) I downloaded the Yakuza 4 demo when it came out. I loved the combat, it felt rad. Then fastforward several years and I'm waiting for Yakuza 5 as my opportunity to jump in *cue laughtrack*. But as soon as the LP came up, I went down to my local game shop and just bought all the Yakuzas.
WORTH IT.
I played Yakuza 1 because of the playthrough of 4, and yeah I was in very much the same position where I always knew it was there but never gave much thought to trying it.

And while not quite the same scenario, after doing a re watch of the Killer is Dead LP earlier this year I ended up finally buying the game on Steam, and now I've gotten super fucking deep in that game, probably way more than anyone at the Zaibatsu has since the LP finished years ago.

I played MGR, the entire Platinum Library, and then all of DMC because of the MGR LP.

I wasn't really aware they existed per se, though. Like _kinda_

The moment Michael Jordan showed up in Barkley I paused the LP and went to download it. Continued to play along with the LP, and it remains one of my favorite playthroughs by them.

Top Bottom