• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

My issue with Nier would be that it took waaaaaaaaaay too long to get interesting storywise. I guess if the gameplay was better I could maybe forgive the first 66% being so dull.

Also the blocking seems really stupid how it will just 100% block things for many (most?) enemies.
Thats the beauty of it tho.
Its subverting most modern generic shounen stories. I think it would diminish greatly if it wasn't as generic shounen in Ending A

It still chips away a small bit of your HP and has block stun. There's also a perfect parry to it so you can don't have those downsides.

Its subverting most modern generic shounen stories. I think it would diminish greatly if it wasn't as generic shounen in Ending A

It still chips away a small bit of your HP and has block stun. There's also a perfect parry to it so you can don't have those downsides.

Did not know there was a perfect parry. I made a mistake of collecting all the weapons on the first run and had a level 3 Phoenix spear which made the rest of the game very easy mode.

To be clear I was just talking about the LP so far. I haven't played the game myself so I don't know how much is left. But the first 15-18 episodes were very dull to me, so much so I fell asleep during each. And if a game isn't grabbed me in 8 hours I think it has problems. It wasn't until the last 5 or so that I was really starting to get into it.

To be clear I was just talking about the LP so far. I haven't played the game myself so I don't know how much is left. But the first 15-18 episodes were very dull to me, so much so I fell asleep during each. And if a game isn't grabbed me in 8 hours I think it has problems. It wasn't until the last 5 or so that I was really starting to get into it.

That's how I felt too, nothing about the game really clicked for me up until the most recent episodes and seeing everything leading up to the ending shows just how fascinating and unique it is.

Anung

Un Rama
Oh snap. They finally got the office! ...Have they mentioned any details at all anywhere else?

Excellent news! Been a long time coming. Hopefully this'll lead to more consistency, quality and a tad more professionalism (only a tad).

Ok this text only shit was amusing the first couple of times it happened, but this is getting absurd. Come on now.

Excellent news! Been a long time coming. Hopefully this'll lead to more consistency, quality and a tad more professionalism (only a tad).

Any more than that and SBF will lose its true, brown luster.

joe2187

Banned
Ok this text only shit was amusing the first couple of times it happened, but this is getting absurd. Come on now.

Im of the opposite opinion, Im more intrigued by the Text part of the game than probably the entirety of all the action/platforming and boss fights.

I especially like when the music transitions to match the text.

Strimei

I'm catching up on videos since I was out and couldn't watch them for the past few days, and while I agree that the text stuff is getting a bit much for the game, at the same time I'm kinda liking story time with Pat.

Also I have to agree with Pat about how that
Shade seemed similar to Dimo, though I didn't pick up on the cruelty. I thought it interesting that it mentioned how Dimo smelled of old meat and the Shade smelled similarly (though maybe it was rotten).

And I thought Nier was getting Xenogears before the first ending

At least this is well-written and engaging though.

Still had a moment where I scrolled past on the bar to see how long this would go and OH MY GOD

Nordicus

I especially like when the music transitions to match the text.
I thought that was really neat as well, especially when Nier has such good boss music.

You'd get hyped over Storytime with Pat if Rules of Nature started appropriately playing at a key moment

Numb

After playing monster hunter WITH pat, I dont want anything to do with that.

He's the reason I hate that game so much.

fuck monster hunter.

You got a point
I gave up with him and hid after we did that sand swimming guy.
Step by step by step by step by step -_-
I just wanna kill it

joe2187

Banned
This sounds like a story you should tell us.

Not much to tell. Pat played games with the Steam SBF fan group.

Monster hunter was one the games, I gave into peer pressure and bought a copy after playing the demo with the group.

Pat basically told me Im playing the game entirely wrong because my character was wearing only the basic armor and starting weapon and that I was at least four or five levels behind because of it. I was a serious detriment to the hunting party and would die basically in one hit.

So pat decided to help out, and we spent like two hours hunting for beetles or horns or some shit to craft some armor and weapons...and by the time I got my armor and weapon....it still didnt matter because I was missing some other bullshit that was above my class or level or who gives a fuck.

Pat taught me that MH is about grinding the same boss over and over again for some drop and gathering beetles and rocks. By the time I got to fight the enemies, everyone else had either wrecked it or I was already dead.

The moral of this story is....

I suck at monster hunter

and fuck monster hunter

I think MH souls be highly improved by more single player balance. Like, monsters are extremely difficult to fight solo. I just got the game today and fought one of the monsters from the 1 star quest with a couple non-starting armor and a Greatsword and it took me 40 minutes and I ran out of potions around the 30 minute mark and had to scavenge for supplies to craft my own potions

Squishy3

The actual MH difficulty is pretty fine, it's the Souls type thing where your first one is the hardest and every subsequent one becomes easier and easier. When I started playing MH I died to Kut-Ku over and over and over and I still fucking hate Khezu to this day

Oh man, I remember being pissed at the Kut-Ku's fireballs because they chunked off my life so hard and at the time, I sure as hell didn't have shield charging/blocking with the CB down.

Matsukaze

Just got my wisdom teeth out. My mouth feels the way Paige's soul feels every day when she wakes up and remembers she's still with Pat.

I know I'm being mean. Sorry Pat.

joe2187

Banned
The actual MH difficulty is pretty fine, it's the Souls type thing where your first one is the hardest and every subsequent one becomes easier and easier. When I started playing MH I died to Kut-Ku over and over and over and I still fucking hate Khezu to this day

No, I have no problem with the difficulty.

It's the grind, the crafting and grinding and the fighting the same shit over and over again for a singular rare drop of some random part only to grind some more and more and more and more and fuck that game.

In souls games I can run around naked like a fucking douchebag waving my fist around shoving it up bosses assholes and still reach the ending without ever having to level up.

I have nothing against playing with pat or Monster Hunter...

fuck monster hunter.

Edzi

No, I have no problem with the difficulty.

It's the grind, the crafting and grinding and the fighting the same shit over and over again for a singular rare drop of some random part only to grind some more and more and more and more and fuck that game.

In souls games I can run around naked like a fucking douchebag waving my fist around shoving it up bosses assholes and still reach the ending without ever having to level up.

I have nothing against playing with pat or Monster Hunter...

fuck monster hunter.

Hah, yeah, took me a while to figure out that Pat really really REALLY likes grindy stuff, so now I make sure to take all of his game recommendations with that in mind. I gave MH a try on the 3DS since he seemed to like it so much, but couldn't get into it at all because of how boring and mind numbingly grindy it was. Still glad I tried it though and I can definitely see the appeal for certain kinds of people, but grindy stuff like that just isn't for me.

Squishy3

Just got my wisdom teeth out. My mouth feels the way Paige's soul feels every day when she wakes up and remembers she's still with Pat.

I know I'm being mean. Sorry Pat.
Take the pain meds, turn on netflix or whatever, proceed to zonk out.

Week I got my wisdom teeth out I basically didn't exist

Top Bottom