• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Matsukaze

What? Cassandra Lee Morris is a stellar and totally proven VA. Same story with Cherami Leigh and Erina Lindbeck. As well, as... Max Mittelman and Xander Mobus. Almost everyone casted has a great working history. Most of them are newer talents but they're not exactly C-level.
*goes to wikipedia*

Looking over their resumes, you're right. Most of them have lined up fine work. At the same time, however, as someone who doesn't watch dubbed anime all that much, none of their voices are what I would call "instantly recognizable". Obviously, YMMV.

Like, have you listened to SMT4A? Both of them are pulling from the same pool, basically, and SMT4A has some really great and naturalistic performances. Mittelman as Hallelujah and Lindbeck as Asahi stand out most clearly to me.
Confession time. Though the SMT/Persona games are my favorite series, I haven't played Apocalypse yet, nor do I remember its trailers beyond the first one. It's on my "to-play" list before P5 drops. I'll take your word for Mittelman's and Lindbeck's excellence, though. That's good to hear. :)

And anyways, Yuri Lowenthal didn't make his career in a day.
I don't believe I said otherwise? :p

Like I said, I'm feeling positive about these castings overall. I am confident in Atlus's choices (I know they would never just say "fuck it" with these castings); I just wish I had an easier time imagining their voices for their respective characters.

Just watched the Deep Fear epsiode, that monkey sound clip is one of the funniest thing in a long time I would definitly pay for a Full LP of this

Matsukaze

Shitstorm has been pretty good so far. It has had its share of duds, but I really enjoyed the other stuff, especially the likes of Anatomy, Nightcry, and Dead by Daylight.

Has there been any hint or indication of what might serve as this Shitstorm's finale?

I'm partially dreading it because Pat is going to praise himself nonstop for apparently being the only one who thought the Switch was going to be a hybrid

Menitta

There was some podcast in the early 20s that predicted the switch. I think it was 24. To be fair, that was a few years ago before the NX was a sparkle in our eyes.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
The Mega Man LP's fiiiiine. A
50 minute boss battle
is fiiiiiiiiine.

I'll be honest, I actually like the command mission LP. I dunno, super fan that watches everything regardless, but I've always really like their more chill LPs. Also I like RPGs but am at their basic skill level with them, so its fiiiiiine.

Edzi

Seems like FNF/SMS is continuing the tradition of being unwatchable. Seriously, they clearly have zero clue how to play any of the characters, and I don't understand why they think anyone would want to watch them flail around mashing random buttons for 30 minutes. Either bring back brawls, or spend like a couple hours before each FNF learning how to actually play the game so we can have some real and slightly competitive matches.

Anung

Un Rama
Seems like FNF/SMS is continuing the tradition of being unwatchable. Seriously, they clearly have zero clue how to play any of the characters, and I don't understand why they think anyone would want to watch them flail around mashing random buttons for 30 minutes. Either bring back brawls, or spend like a couple hours before each FNF learning how to actually play the game so we can have some real and slightly competitive matches.

TESTIFY

tumblr_lsbu4l33tL1qbnylmo1_500.gif

I only check it out if it's something interesting or dumb.

You're saying this to the people that regularly play shit like Best of Best.

I don't think the majority of people are watching these for quality gameplay.

Edzi

You're saying this to the people that regularly play shit like Best of Best.

I don't think the majority of people are watching these for quality gameplay.

I *HATE* this kind of response.

Nobody is asking them to be pro gamers. Just bare minimum effort to try and learn what they're playing to make an entertaining video.

I enjoy watching them 'flail', not that I'd even be able to tell because I have personally invested no time into fighting games. The only ones who seem to have a problem are those are play the games, which are probably not the majority.

I enjoy watching them 'flail', not that I'd even be able to tell because I have personally invested no time into fighting games. The only ones who seem to have a problem are those are play the games, which are probably not the majority.

Same. Unless it's Smash or Street Fighter, I can't tell how well/poorly they're playing.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I play fighting games more than I ever did before but even I couldn't beat them with my current skill level. However, the average "good" player will probably be able to beat them 50 percent of the time and that is still not the majority of their viewers.

Village

I play fighting games more than I ever did before but even I couldn't beat them with my current skill level. However, the average "good" player will probably be able to beat them 50 percent of the time and that is still not the majority of their viewers.

Ive beaten pat in fighting games and I find it funny.

I'm not the best fg player by any fucking means but, what little skill I have doesn't mean I can't enjoy them.

I'm actually really fucking good at racing games, don't mean I can't enjoy folks going ham in mario kart

Sou Da

I don't know. For Shit games I'm kind of fine with random mashing but for stuff like mkx there was just nothing interesting in seeing them barely get through a match.

If that was gonna be the case they should have just done test your luck from the start.

I don't know. For Shit games I'm kind of fine with random mashing but for stuff like mkx there was just nothing interesting in seeing them barely get through a match.

If that was gonna be the case they should have just done test your luck from the start.

That sounds like the new online mode for Smash Bros Switch.

I *HATE* this kind of response.

Nobody is asking them to be pro gamers. Just bare minimum effort to try and learn what they're playing to make an entertaining video.

I've always thought it would be interesting if there was a fighting game review show where instead of being like "Hey check out this obscure/bad game WAHEY JOKES AND YELLING LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE" the players actually played the game using printed out movelists and "practice mode" and knew what they were doing, and actually judged the Best of Bests and Armageddons and Kakuto Chojins of the world on whether they deserve their reputations or not, perhaps even cutting the footage to give days or more of time for the players to actually put the effort in to know what you can do in the game/with their character. The closest I've found is Giant Bomb's infrequent Ranking of Fighters show, which shows how low the bar is for the idea of a show with respectful looks at fighting games that aren't the biggest names or considered the best, where the players actually use their brains and give the games a fair shot.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I've always thought it would be interesting if there was a fighting game review show where instead of being like "Hey check out this obscure/bad game WAHEY JOKES AND YELLING LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE" the players actually played the game using printed out movelists and "practice mode" and knew what they were doing, and actually judged the Best of Bests and Armageddons and Kakuto Chojins of the world on whether they deserve their reputations or not, perhaps even cutting the footage to give days or more of time for the players to actually put the effort in to know what you can do in the game/with their character. The closest I've found is Giant Bomb's infrequent Ranking of Fighters show, which shows how low the bar is for the idea of a show with respectful looks at fighting games that aren't the biggest names or considered the best, where the players actually use their brains and give the games a fair shot.
Do you remember that really old series that was a predecessor tto FNF/SMS? I think it was just called scrublords or something.

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like earlier iterations of FNF were a lot better, honestly. Most of their choices being games they were either clearly excited or familiar with (and those continue to be the best FNFs, see: Revelator) and there was more of a chilled out, relaxed tone to them with them just playing matches (with average video length being like an hour), shooting shit, and answering questions. It was like an extension of the podcast centered entirely on fighting games and it ruled. Nowadays, FNF just feels more like... another video, which is sort of a shame.

SNS is mostly just a dumpster fire of them playing bad games and not really gleaning much interesting commentary of that, but occasionally there's gems like Dong Dong so the series isn't totally awful.

And Gang Beasts is still, y'know, like a top 5 channel video as far as I'm concerned.

Like I said, I'm feeling positive about these castings overall. I am confident in Atlus's choices (I know they would never just say "fuck it" with these castings); I just wish I had an easier time imagining their voices for their respective characters.
SMT4A is, on top of being a very good JRPG, probably the best way to correct that. As I said, there's a lot of cast crossover and I anticipate that they'll be Atlus's new 'core' cast (succeeding Bailey, Lowenthal, Ruff, etc) for their future localizations and they all turn in some pretty standout (and generally signature) performances. I don't really expect anyone there (except Xander) to sound especially different going into P5.

Top Bottom