• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Well, I didn't see this coming:
https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/809814068873883650
Cz0JmBSW8AA7aoN.jpg

He probably should've taken a few months off to coincide with the wedding, I'm guessing juggling that with everything was the source of a lot of his anxiety.

At any rate, hope he gets his groove back soon. Silent Hill 3 is probably my favorite LP this year, and it wouldn't have been the same with Woolie or Liam on the controls.

Archgan

He probably should've taken a few months off to coincide with the wedding, I'm guessing juggling that with everything was the source of a lot of his anxiety.

At any rate, hope he gets his groove back soon. Silent Hill 3 is probably my favorite LP this year, and it wouldn't have been the same with Woolie or Liam on the controls.
I loved when Matt would go into rooms swinging his katana BLADE around

I don't think it was Omikron alone, I bet it was stressful as fuck finding them an office that met their needs and getting that all setup right around a bunch of cons happened. And IIRC, I think he handles most of the business end, so that probably also adds on tons of stress (although if Matt is taking a break, who's gonna handle that? Woolie?)

That said, I wonder what the format change could be, but I'm willing to give anything that ups the variety a shot.

Archgan

Oh dear.

In the newest part of Silent Hill 3, Matt see's the map and talking about quiting the game, Patt jokes he knows Matt likes to quit things, Matt jokes back saying in a very 'Mmm-hmn' voice, "Hmmm, one day. When somebody gets fired, we can talk about that..." Patt then absolutely loses his shit, and Matt just says, "One day, but not today." And they hurridly change the topic.

It could just be some in-joke, like they may be joking about the Omikron quiting comment, but this seemed related to something and they've made a few quiting jokes recently, so it may just be me overthinking it, but it's a tad worrying if it might imply what I think it might be implying. It can also come off as a joke, so it might very well be worrying over nothing.

https://youtu.be/NvjaGAleYPs?t=652

There's the time in the video for context.
Looks like this was actually kinda accurate.

Edzi

I figured he'd be the first to bounce. Seemed like his heart wasn't really in it over the last couple years, and he's got the thinnest skin out of the bunch. Glad the other three guys are gonna keep going though, and more one offs is actually a big plus for me.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The inevitable falling apart of the channel begins, eh?

(Sorry, can't help but be pessimistic. I've seen too many other good channels' demise start just like this.)

Anung

Un Rama
Fair play to the guy. Sometimes taking a step back from things is the best way to go. He's been phoning it in for a good while now so hopefully taking time out can let him get his groove back. Plus changing up the channel doesn't seem like a bad thing. I always thought 2-3 videos a day was way too many to stay consistent and the quality drop kinda proves that.

This certainly explains why Matt rejects any form of criticism. Anxiety and all that. Then again YT can be a particular form of toxic and his skin is super thin.

Gonna be interesting to see where things go from now on.

Matt seemed a little distant at the recent fan meetup but he was appreciative of all of us being there. I hope he takes as much time as he needs to get back in to things. I can imagine how much stress everything is with not only recording but all the behind the scenes stuff he does.

MrHoot

I feel very sad for Matt, I hope he can fight with his anxiety issues. It's never fun, being someone who deals with the same shit.

Will this also be Paige's big intro in the zaibatsu or will she keep her thing on the side

Glad he is taking time off for his well being, and I hope he finds what he needs during this break.

Curious to see the changes when he returns.

Edzi

The inevitable falling apart of the channel begins, eh?

(Sorry, can't help but be pessimistic. I've seen too many other good channels' demise start just like this.)

I can see it happening tbh. Liam and Woolie clearly have bigger dreams that they've talked about pursuing, and Pat... Well, I dunno if Pat would actually do much without people around him encouraging him. I could see him just becoming a low key streamer with his gf.

Anung

Un Rama
I can see it happening tbh. Liam and Woolie clearly have bigger dreams that they've talked about pursuing, and Pat... Well, I dunno if Pat would actually do much without people around him encouraging him. I could see him just becoming a low key streamer with his gf.

Certainly explains why Pats burst into streaming. Got enough fans to make that viable financially.

Fancolors

Woolie and Liam have expressed interest in making videogames before. I don't know if they have what it takes to make it as devs, but it feels like a matter of time until they leave the channel.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Yep. Woolie and Liam have talked multiple times about wanting to get into development (what with Woolie's mythical 'awesome game idea' he won't talk about for fear of it getting stolen), and I could absolutely see Pat and Paige making a living as streamers. Could see them getting pretty popular, too. They're pretty hilarious when they stream together.

Ironically Matt's the only one I can't think of a possible post-SBFP career for.

Woolie and Liam have expressed interest in making videogames before. I don't know if they have what it takes to make it as devs, but it feels like a matter of time until they leave the channel.

They've likely made enough connections with devs/industry people at this point that I could absolutely see them pulling it off.

Anung

Un Rama
Liam and Woolie have made a lot of connections in the industry and a large fanbase willing to kickstart anything they make so I think if they did leave they'd be fine. I'm actually curious what they'd come up with since their tastes line up with my own somewhat.

Edzi

Liam and Woolie have made a lot of connections in the industry and a large fanbase willing to kickstart anything they make so I think if they did leave they'd be fine. I'm actually curious what they'd come up with since their tastes line up with my own somewhat.

Yeah, it's certainly feasible. Plus, with todays game dev tools, you can get away with not knowing too much CS.

Honestly, I'd support the guys if they wanted to break up and pursue their own things, though I'd be a little bummed about losing the podcast.

Ironically Matt's the only one I can't think of a possible post-SBFP career for.

Tbh, I can't really disagree. If he ends up coming back to the channel after everyone else has decided to leave, I don't think he'd be able to carry it on his own. I guess he could also stream, but at that point he'd just be coasting on his existing fanbase.

Frimaire

Man, I just realized, if they actually did stop making everything, I could be way more productive.
I mean, it's what, 10 hours every week?
Or I could just, like, play 10 more hours of video games...

Suplexer

Very strange, but understandable. I hope Matt is okay and gets healthy while away.

I really don't think Pat will leave YT or at least streaming. He is very entertaining even when he's alone, very Jeff Gerstmann-esque and certainly has a passion for it.

Woolie and Liam are GREAT but I can definitely see them leaving to make games. They say pretty frequently they enjoy entertaining people but don't love LPs necessarily.

Best of luck to everybody, please stay together a couple more years though until more cool channels like you guys emerge! Very few channels pump out quality content as regularly as you guys do!

;_;7

You guys are actually kind of crazy for suggesting that this is the end as we know it.

How about we give it a second and see where the future goes? Matt says they're going to be doing stuff for PAX east right in that post. It's very clearly not in the cards that the channel would disband.

Anung

Un Rama
You guys are actually kind of crazy for suggesting that this is the end as we know it.

How about we give it a second and see where the future goes? Matt says they're going to be doing stuff for PAX east right in that post. It's very clearly not in the cards that the channel would disband.

Speculation is fun tho!

Not sure what to expect, but its good that Matts taking some time off.

Will be interested to see what his plans for the channel are when he gets back, assuming the other 3 haven't destroyed the office by then ;D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Well, I mean, it's like when you're watching a movie with some friends, and the movie is getting kinda boring and nobody's really enjoying it anymore. But nobody wants to be the first person to get up and leave. Nobody wants to be that guy. But then finally someone does get up, and everyone else realizes "Hey, it's okay to leave now".

And it's Matt, which is kinda like the person whose idea it was to watch the movie in the first place being the one to get up first.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Well I can't say that matt taking a break is unwarranted, but its definitely needed. Maybe he's mentally preparing himself for the inevitable Detroit LP.

Matsukaze

For real. Crazy seeing folks think this is game over.

Matt is just taking a break to clear his head and relax. He gets flak all the time because catering to a fanbase as big as the Zaibatsu's means you can't please everyone all the time but despite this, he sincerely wants to please everyone. He is easily the most passionate of the four and for that reason, he is the one most likely to exhaust himself. He deserves an opportunity to step away for a little bit and concentrate on himself (and Crymetina). The channel will be better off with super-hype Matt at the helm, not burned-out Matt.

Moonlight

Banned
I love Matt, so it's a shame to hear he's taking a break, but his mental health should always be a bigger priority and I'm glad he's acting on that. Excited for him to come back.

If there's any silver lining to this, then... maybe we'll have more Pat and Woolie LPs?

sjay1994

Hopefully he can relieve some of his health issues with this break. Wish him all the best.

Zki6LEk.gif

When he returns and the channel is filled with nothing but reboot and minecraft.

He makes it sound like he should have taken time off sooner. I hope the others take their breaks too, mental health is important especially when they work directly in entertainment. Wish you feel better soon, Matt!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Boy have I never seen such an accurate gif than this one as I wake up and look at the top of the page. Well shit...

I'll miss Matt, hope he is all right but I wonder what he'll do for money? Maybe he'll go back to QA? Always hope for the best, but I can't help but feel the sentiment from other people that this might be the beginning of the end. Change tends to inspire change.

Looking forward to the Patcast where Pat's alone in a room with Elmo and he just cries into the mic while occasionally saying game news while Elmo meows a bunch.

Uh, okay? Lol, I don't hate the guy.

Says the man who owns a picture of himself killing Matt's childhood dog while laughing like a mad man.

Meffer

Boy have I never seen such an accurate gif than this one as I wake up and look at the top of the page. Well shit...

I'll miss Matt, hope he is all right but I wonder what he'll do for money? Maybe he'll go back to QA? Always hope for the best, but I can't help but feel the sentiment from other people that this might be the beginning of the end. Change tends to inspire change.

Looking forward to the Patcast where Pat's alone in a room with Elmo and he just cries into the mic while occasionally saying game news while Elmo meows a bunch.

Says the man who owns a picture of himself killing Matt's childhood dog while laughing like a mad man.
Since he leads their business I don't think he'll have to worry about money. But hope you relax and charge your batteries, Matt.

I am curious if he's still going to be out hustling on the business end of things, and he's just taking a break from videos?

I'm slightly amused by the idea of Matt in a giant pimp coat with star-framed sunglasses covered in glitter pushing out whatever denomination of Canadian currency is polite to tip strippers while threatening to break anyone who rustles his top earner, Pattie.

Strimei

While he isn't quitting, still looks like I was wrong in saying it was nothing. I'll eat my crow.

Anyway, I hope he gets better, but I will say I am rather concerned about the whole hint at a change in format. He says slight so that does lessen my worry but when I think of format changes and such I start thinking of stuff like I guess what the Game Grumps branched into in the past (i.e. that Table Flip thing) and the like and I really don't like that sort of thing. Another thing that came to mind was maybe having more of their friends guest-star or something and that's another thing I'd rather not have. I mean I like Plague and some of the others but I'm here for the Zaibatsu, not for others.

But he says slight, so maybe it won't be major and I'm just fretting. Whatever the case may be, I hope he gets better.

JC Sera

As someone with general anxiety my heart goes out to Matt, this is def the right decision rather than burning out to a meltdown.

As for woolie and liam making a game, one of the reasons I love sbfp is that they understand what elements makes a game good and bad and vocalize it. I've learnt a fair amount about game design from them from ozmosis. If they make a game I'd look forward to it.

As someone with general anxiety my heart goes out to Matt, this is def the right decision rather than burning out to a meltdown.

As for woolie and liam making a game, one of the reasons I love sbfp is that they understand what elements makes a game good and bad and vocalize it. I've learnt a fair amount about game design from them from ozmosis. If they make a game I'd look forward to it.

In the hopefully far-flung future they should make a game where the goal is to find a way into the skybox or fall out of the world. Huge time trial and multiplayer potential

It could also be an autobiographical allegory

Top Bottom