• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Matt's reaction to Liam leaving:
C0YQ4byWEAAFwlh.jpg

Veedot

Never posted in this thread but I've been a fan since the street fighter stupidity videos and seeing the way the channel has grown through the years with the best friends unique personalities was the greatest thing I never knew I wanted. I met them for the first time last year at magfest and Liam stood out to me as such a down to earth guy you could just talk about anything with despite the limited time he had to talk with the ridiculous line of fans. Not to say anything bad against Woolie and Matt (Pat wasn't there) but they were more just "hey thanks for being a fan and coming out". I understand with the amount of fans they have plus having the limited time to talk during meet ups I wasn't gonna be able to shoot the shit with them but Liam just stood out to me more when he didn't even have to.

I'm glad him and Matt are taking care of there mental health and look forward to there future endeavors.

Matty77

Dont usually post here but going to say the same thing I said on facebook, Liam was my fave especially on the podcast but his health means more than my entertainment.

I wish him well and success and he will be missed.

Ah that really sucks that Liam is leaving and I can't help but be concerned for the channel(though obviously mental and physical health comes first as Matt has said). I am glad that Liam made this decision though, I've tried powering through rough times myself and it only leaves more broken at the end, I hope he makes a full recovery.

I hope everyone here will continue to support the channel even if it is missing two members right now.

Ugh, fucking 2016. This is the worst Christmas present ever.

Weird thing is Liam always seemed like the most energetic and happy of the group thanks to his young powers, guess you really can't tell what's in someone's head.

I wish him luck in his future endeavours, but the channel really isn't gonna be the same. Pat and Woolie can only keep it together for so long.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
Liam left the Azure Dream, trusting Woolman and Pat Doll to stand vigilant. The Skull Presence nods silently in assent as it waits for its time of return.

Best wishes to Liam. Hope he gets to a solid place in his life.

Fancolors

I wonder if they are going to bring someone else into the channel, at least for the podcast. Maybe the three remaining shitbags can deal with the videos, but I can't imagine the podcast functioning without Liam.

I'm expecting a lot more guests now. And Minecraft, oh so much more Minecraft.

I am really going to miss Liam's humor in videos, he was always willing to do something dumb for the sake of a joke. Like in the Let It Die video where Pat told Woolie to eat the deadly mushrooms and Woolie chickened out, Liam would have done it in a heartbeat.

I didn't think we would experience a character leaving the show in the Matt Retrieval arc so soon

Anung

Un Rama
Wow this was out of nowhere. I mean I assumed Liam would go at some point to chase his dreams but I didn't think it'd be like this. As someone who had to put my life on stand still for mental health reasons (depression and anxiety) I totally get where he's coming from and think he's doing the right thing. This kind of stuff can be a long road though but I wish him all the best.

Not be a negative nelly but stuff like this usually signals the end so it'll be interest to see if the channel can survive.

Menitta

Wow this was out of nowhere. I mean I assumed Liam would go at some point to chase his dreams but I didn't think it'd be like this. As someone who had to put my life on stand still for mental health reasons (depression and anxiety) I totally get where he's coming from and think he's doing the right thing. This kind of stuff can be a long road though but I wish him all the best.

Not be a negative nelly but stuff like this usually signals the end so it'll be interest to see if the channel can survive.

To be fair this channel originated from only two of them.

Anung

Un Rama
To be fair this channel originated from only two of them.

Yeah but it expanded to meet expectations. They have fingers in many pies (which Woolie then stole). I genuinely doubt Woolie and Pat could handle all of this on their own. I mean SBFP as a four man operation already lacked consistency and quality on the best of days.

This is all speculation though. Maybe they'll downsize for a while...but whether the fanbase will be accepting of that who knows.

dh4niel

Really sad to see Liam go. Really hope he gets better. Matt taking a break too. Really glad they laid everything out in a statement instead of people making shit up like when JonTron left Game Grumps.

So close to Nier automata pat/Liam lp. Thinks come to an end and we can only give our big boss salute for thanks. Guess it's on pat and Woolie to face the tide together. Dark souls 1 lp confirmed.

ShadyK54

I keep coming back to this made up scenario in my head that the Detroit LP is going to be the swan song for the channel & that'll be it. I hope there's no chance I'm ever right about that lol.

KRaZyAmmo

Guys I'm scared to this bold new unLiam'd era we're entering. (I respect his decision and choice, I can't imagine it not taking a toll on both Matt and Liam)

So close to Nier automata pat/Liam lp.

I dunno if they'd have done it (something like a Yakuza 5, let people buy it cause it needs the sales), but man just knowing that was a possibility hurts.

Its a bummer, but I'm glad Matt's taking a break and Liam's saying goodbye before something snaps, that takes guts. Gonna miss the little weeb with all my heart tho, Unleashed is gonna be a bittersweet finale :(

2016 fucking SUCKS

Disgraced

The best of wishes to Matt and Liam. The both of them are talented and (from what I can gather) good-natured men. I've said before that too often Liam's videos didn't play to what I think are his comedic strengths. Once he's better this could be a great chance to change that—with or without SBFP. Either case I'll support.

---

2-3 LPs sounds good to me. I'd be happy with one at a time if it meant they were healthy, it was high quality, and was sustainable.

Exodust

Banned
Sucks to hear, but I'm glad he's taking time for himself. I know they read GAF sometimes so I'll say Matt, good on you for taking that break and I hope you come back rested and more comfortable. Liam, I have been through similar and all i can say is good on you for realizing you need to focus on your mental well being, hope everything works out well for you going forward.

Sawneeks

Banned

Not usually one to post here but man was that a punch in the gut to read this morning. I do hope Liam and Matt can get the help they need to get back on their feet, anxiety/depression is no joke and absolutely fucking sucks.

It's going to be really weird without Liam though. I've been following/watching their stuff for almost 4 years now and the podcast is consistently my favorite thing they have ever done and without Liam on it it's almost going to be completely different. I always loved hearing his in-depth thoughts and opinions on different subjects and he really got the rest of the guys to talk about things they probably would never bring up otherwise. He always got a lot of shit for playing 'devil's avocado' on the podcast...but not having those back-and-forth conversations on video games anymore is going to be weird. Mental Health is way more important than some dumb videos and a podcast, but I can't help but feel sad that things are changing.

#Fuck2016 and David Cage for taking our Rising Superstar. Omikron killed the Best Friends.

I have faith in Pat and Woolie to keep on having the videos they put out be entertaining because the both of them have great chemistry, even if it means less videos. It's always been a worry of mine with media like this that creators will just leave or a channel I'm following closes down especially as I distance myself from traditional mrdia but I still have faith that this one will keep going for a little while longer.

That being said I'm glad that Liam and even Matt with his break are prioritizing their wellbeing over entertaining us. Like I said this isn't like traditional media where there's a sort of distance between me as a viewer and the performers. I watch their content for them as people and as much as watching them play a game they hate is fun; I also really love watching them play a game they love or talk about something that they are passionate about because I love watching these guys goofing off and having fun. As much as it hurts to know that Liam isn't going to be apart of any more videos, it'd hurt much worse if he stuck around despite his problems in order to further entertain us.

Liam I wish you the happiest life you could possibly live and success in your future endeavors. And Matt I hope your break is as relaxing as it is needed and I await your return.

Sawneeks

Banned
...so is Sonic Unleashed over now?

"As far as SBFP goes, I'd like to return to finish Sonic Unleashed sometime in the new year, but Woolie, Matt and I don't have an exact timetable."

Is from Liam's farewell post on the subreddit. Sounds like it's on hold for now, at least until Matt comes back, but it's not super clear what will happen to it.

Yeah, the biggest loss from Liam departing is his views on a variety of topics and all the "weird" stuff he either brought up on the podcast or got them to do videos on. He was their big Japan only game guy and pretty crucial to Creepy Anime Bullshit working, so that sort of stuff is going to suffer in his absence.

That said, I think we should push for calling Liam "Super Best Friend Emeritus," because A) he's coming back to finish Sonic Unleashed, and B) he's not leaving their lives, just the channel.

This is disappointing, but I'm glad to hear he's doing what's best for him and will definitely be paying attention to what it is he might be working on for the future. I can pretty safely say that although I started watching the channel all the way back for the RE2 LP, Liam is one of the main reasons I have stuck around and continued watching so long.

His unique interests and sense of humor bring a ton to the table, and he's always been incredibly insightful and balanced (most of the time) when it comes to talking about games, and especially their mechanics. I feel like he can see the good things in a lot of games that the rest of the group typically write off and he discusses gameplay with a kind of depth that none of them regularly do. I don't have time to watch all the LPs on the channel anymore, and most of the ones I do are those that feature Liam. It'll be hard to go into new ones without him around, and his absence on the podcast will really be felt.

No, Liam said he will finish it with sometime in 2017.
He said he would like to, but he's not sure how well their schedules will let it work.

FUCKKK MEEE
This is the darkest year indeed I need this channel to survive. They are the only gaming channel I care about. How do I send all 4 of them my energy, I can't have them end before Detroit but I can't shake the feeling that 2017 will be the end. MGS3 playthrough end

JD_Lars

That Kellogg's Booberry line from the Shadow of Mordor one-shot is still probably the hardest I've laughed at one of SBFP's videos.

Top Bottom