• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

kewlmyc

Hope we have guest every week until Matt's back. Hope Mother's Basement and Maxamilian are on again at some point. For Max, preferably when the EVO lineup is announced.

lome88

You guys know they do that sub callout because that's what people watching streams want right?

It sucks but that's how streamer culture makes money.

It's how they make money, but it's also half the fun of streams. I've done a few streams now and seeing that little notification for followers pops up genuinely makes my day so I feel really happy about thanking them for hanging in there with me, they get the appreciation and send it back, and it invigorates chat. Doing an LP format on YT is fun, relatively easy to record and edit, and you can control the content much more coherently but streaming offers that kind of 1-1 interaction that really can't be beat.

Their opinions about Elusive Targets are stupid. I am glad I am not driven by a dumb completions/content tourist mentality. Elusive Targets are a fun bonus thing, but by no means substantial. Hell you can do most of them in minutes.

Oh good, I listened to that entire conversation thinking "Oh god is this seriously how people have been reacting to elusive targets this whole time?"
Thankfully it seems to just be one of their weird hang ups. They're always so positive about other games providing extended support for a game and adding things to it, is it seriously just the fact that these ones are time based really enough to completely ruin an amazing system for them?

Xater

Oh good, I listened to that entire conversation thinking "Oh god is this seriously how people have been reacting to elusive targets this whole time?"
Thankfully it seems to just be one of their weird hang ups. They're always so positive about other games providing extended support for a game and adding things to it, is it seriously just the fact that these ones are time based really enough to completely ruin an amazing system for them?

No they are definitely in the minority. Everyone else is just happy with the base game and that they are providing continuing bonus content.

Today I watched all those Drakengard videos by the Clemons guy Pat mentioned. Now I feel better about picking up Nier: Automata. I was never going to play all that shit.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
No they are definitely in the minority. Everyone else is just happy with the base game and that they are providing continuing bonus content.

I dunno, I'm kinda irked by the principal of it (haven't listened to the podcast yet, so I don't know what they said). It didn't really hit me until I heard one of them was Garey Busey, and I was like "Damn, I would have liked to have seen that :/" It's not like a overwhelming disapproval, but the same kind of lowkey shitty feeling as when I played through Asura's Wrath and found out if I wanted the ending I had to pay extra for it. I just dislike people locking out content for "reasons"

I dunno, I'm kinda irked by the principal of it (haven't listened to the podcast yet, so I don't know what they said). It didn't really hit me until I heard one of them was Garey Busey, and I was like "Damn, I would have liked to have seen that :/" It's not like a overwhelming disapproval, but the same kind of lowkey shitty feeling as when I played through Asura's Wrath and found out if I wanted the ending I had to pay extra for it. I just dislike people locking out content for "reasons"

The weird thing is more the light that they paint it in during the podcast. They treat it like it was some big sinister way for IO to make a ton of money off the game and that it's something that everyone should be offended by because the company expects you to plan all your time around the game now... Essentially it sounded like three people who were having a knee-jerk reaction to something they had little to no actual knowledge of.

Xater

Here is the thing: You don't miss anything. The Garvey Busey thing was especially played up. He got the same simple video intro and there were a couple of voice lines for his character. Otherwise he is just another NPC you are going to kill. The Elusive Targets are a neat thing because you don't know what the behavior of that NPC is and you get one shot. Without it it being timed and limited like that it would be pointless, because these are not hits that have been intricately designed like everything else in the main game. It's a fun activity though for people that have deep knowledge of these maps and lots of stuff unlocked. It keeps the game interesting for them by being a quick activity they have no knowledge at all of.

I have like all the trophies in Hitman and have done 4 Elusive Targets.i think there have been like 15-20 overall. Had I not done a single one I still would have gotten more than enough for my money. The way especially Bunny paintened this feature is ridiculous.

The weird thing is more the light that they paint it in during the podcast. They treat it like it was some big sinister way for IO to make a ton of money off the game and that it's something that everyone should be offended by because the company expects you to plan all your time around the game now... Essentially it sounded like three people who were having a knee-jerk reaction to something they had little to no actual knowledge of.

I mean, that was Bunny's agenda. Pat and Woolie were humoring him because he's the guest, and when you have a guest you have to feign engagement with the crazy thing they obsess over for no apparent reason. That's the only way to get them to listen when you want to talk about your cat fountain and Darth Vader sleep machine.

I mean, that was Bunny's agenda. Pat and Woolie were humoring him because he's the guest, and when you have a guest you have to feign engagement with the crazy thing they obsess over for no apparent reason. That's the only way to get them to listen when you want to talk about your cat fountain and Darth Vader sleep machine.

Goddammit, the imagery of the cat fountain just kills me every time someone brings it up now.
I need to go resubscribe to Bunnyhop so I can unsubscribe from him again now...

Moaradin

So are those Drakengard videos good enough or should I watch one of those long ass videos with all the game story and cutscenes?

Xater

Dude no one has time for Drakengard shit.

Probably true. Although the story of the first one did look really cool, but I think I got what I needed out of it.

So are those Drakengard videos good enough or should I watch one of those long ass videos with all the game story and cutscenes?

I think they are good enough. I got the jist out of all these games, I know all the key characters and I know all the endings. I think the guy did a good job with it. Also you are done with just a 45 minutes time investment per game.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Who cares about those videos, read a book mother trucker! My recommendation is to read these written walthrough's by Dark ID They are like a written abridged series of the game and they are hilarious. I've only read what there was for the first game, but I really enjoyed the read and do plan on doing 2 and 3 this way.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm glad Woolie sandbagged Pat super hard on the topic of P5's localization. That was some full on Pat Crazy. Especially when voice acting never actually notably impacts how much time a localization takes. If it's ever cut it's purely a cost thing.

Strimei

I probably could've done without that knowledge about ganguro culture.

While I'm happy with Yakuza being japanese-voice-only, I would still be TOTALLY fine with Mark Hamill in it.

Their opinions about Elusive Targets are stupid. I am glad I am not driven by a dumb completions/content tourist mentality. Elusive Targets are a fun bonus thing, but by no means substantial. Hell you can do most of them in minutes.

Seriously I'm sitting here listening basically rolling my eyes super hard. Like fuck man. I sometimes fucking run in and shoot the guy and get out just to say I completed them. They're a nice thing but no way in hell are they close to being essential to the experience.

I mean, that was Bunny's agenda. Pat and Woolie were humoring him because he's the guest, and when you have a guest you have to feign engagement with the crazy thing they obsess over for no apparent reason

I don't believe like they're humoring him they actually sound like they're unreasonably upset about this and this isn't the first time they've ever expressed dissatisfaction about the elusive targets

Edit: Just finished the hitman part. Jesus. George needs to calm the fuck down this shit doesn't take that long he doesn't need to clear a whole day. Like an hour at most.

Menitta

I probably could've done without that knowledge about ganguro culture.

While I'm happy with Yakuza being japanese-voice-only, I would still be TOTALLY fine with Mark Hamill in it.

They should have an option to have everyone in Japanese except Majima.

Moonlight

Banned
That GR2 demo video made me a bit sad. Not because I don't really appreciate the fact they did it, but man, I wish Liam were around for it (and the Nier demo). As much as I love this era of Pat and Woolie content, it feels wrong to imagine them tackling these games.

Also someone could have remembered GR was a Vita game, not a PSP game.

edit: they didn't play intermediate and actually showed off the cool as shit gravity styles aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dude got extra sloppy this episode. Also the spitfire is an awful weapon.

There's no reason to use it over anything else.
His refusal to use the L-STAR is baffling to me.

KingKong

It's so weird to me to want to wait for the whole game to come out but also complain about missing out on stuff. It's not even like they were trying to get people to buy the levels since they set almost all of them on the first two maps until the whole game came out

BossRush

I realize why Liam not returning bums me out so bad.

We'll never get another bestfriendvania.

That really sucks because not only will I never get to see Matt react to order of ecclesia's midway shift, but we won't get that buttstained playthrough.

edit: they didn't play intermediate and actually showed off the cool as shit gravity styles aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Thought it was funny at the end when they were gawking at the start screen video, parts of which were in the demo

Though, I kinda blame Sony on that one. They didn't make it clear experienced basically sends you down an entirely different path and with the new skills.

BaasRed

Banned
I'm one of those weirdos that genuinely enjoyed Drakengard. I still remember having so much fun with the game. I'm too scared to pick it up again in case I hate it and realize my childhood was wrong.

Listening to the podcast and oh wow, they answered my question. Isn't that crazy, I'm now secondhand internet famous.

Weird feeling huh? Got that when they played my shitty Mario Maker level for the video.

Gotta say, watching Pat play through the TF2 campaign is making me really want to go back and play it again. Is it possible to feel nostalgic for something that just came out a few months ago?

Xater

Weird feeling huh? Got that when they played my shitty Mario Maker level for the video.

Gotta say, watching Pat play through the TF2 campaign is making me really want to go back and play it again. Is it possible to feel nostalgic for something that just came out a few months ago?

Yes. I feel that way about Doom. I almost want to play through that for a third time.

ArjanN

Listening to the podcast, and kinda annoying they were still wrong about Furi.

On beating the game you unlock a speedrun mode and a level select, you never have to do the walking bits more than once, and they're not even an issue the first time anyway.

Also I don't think the game is any more a shmup than Nier Automata will be, it's a character action game with some bullet dodging phases.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Listening to the podcast and oh wow, they answered my question. Isn't that crazy, I'm now secondhand internet famous.

They answered my question back in episode 3. And it was less a question and more calling out Matt for getting banned from GAF multiple times. :lol

Also Matt called me out by name on the podcast once too.

He also lied because it's two years later and the goddamn cereal video still isn't out.

They answered my question back in episode 3. And it was less a question and more calling out Matt for getting banned from GAF multiple times. :lol

Also Matt called me out by name on the podcast once too.

He also lied because it's two years later and the goddamn cereal video still isn't out.

Were you the one they always screwed the name up on? I remember early on there was one of us gaffers who kept getting called out for something, and they always said the name wrong no matter what.

Sylas

I swear to god, George is the one guest that gets me to skip over any part of the podcast where he has an opinion. Dude digs his heels in so hard and almost never has anything good to say when he does so. At least Pat can play it up or come off as crazy! George is just annoying as hell.

Why was Matt banned from GAF?

More or less what HammerFace said.

Matt got into a bad habit of shit-posting in threads that were negative or that he perceived to be negative about Nintendo. I think the tipper was that he would go into threads about how poor sales were and ask, "Do we really need this thread?" which is one of those seemingly-innocuous things that the mods can actually get quite strict about.

I swear to god, George is the one guest that gets me to skip over any part of the podcast where he has an opinion. Dude digs his heels in so hard and almost never has anything good to say when he does so. At least Pat can play it up or come off as crazy! George is just annoying as hell.

His delivery is just poor. He comes across very monotone and disinterested in everything he says. Definitely one of my least favorite podcasts in a very long time.

Hmm, that gameplay for Gravity Rush 2 did look nice.

Gotta be honest tho, didn't care for the first game. I felt like they built a gravity mechanic, but didn't really give you much to do with it...Hopefully the sequel fixes that.

Xater

Hmm, that gameplay for Gravity Rush 2 did look nice.

Gotta be honest tho, didn't care for the first game. I felt like they built a gravity mechanic, but didn't really give you much to do with it...Hopefully the sequel fixes that.

Having played the demo I don't think that will change much with the sequel. I had the same problem with the original game. well that and that the combat was garbage. The combat was slightly improved, but is still not great.

More or less what HammerFace said.

Matt got into a bad habit of shit-posting in threads that were negative or that he perceived to be negative about Nintendo. I think the tipper was that he would go into threads about how poor sales were and ask, "Do we really need this thread?" which is one of those seemingly-innocuous things that the mods can actually get quite strict about.
I thought I remembered him saying he got banned for I think putting a developer on blast but he may have just been joking.
I forgot just how overpowered the drake sword is. Well it wont last that long
He really doesn't need it, considering hes played every other Soulsy game. He's already getting insaaaanly lucky in the early game with that BUSTED backstab on the boar and the clumsy Channeler

Top Bottom