• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
The DS LP is weird because its like watching dudes play DS1 on year one. God, I can't believe he pointed Woolie to the freaking noob sword. I do hope they don't go greatsword but I can see Pat getting erect from the sidelines.

Edzi

I legitimately feel bad for Woolie since he seems to genuinely be someone Souls appeals to, but he's experienced all of them in the worst possible way and order.

KRaZyAmmo

I legitimately feel bad for Woolie since he seems to genuinely be someone Souls appeals to, but he's experienced all of them in the worst possible way and order.

Well so have I...in a way. I started with DS2, then BB...watched them play DS3. I haven't played DS1 (or 3 either)

zeemumu

I went DS1 up to Orstein and Smough, then DS2 up to first boss, then completed Bloodborne, then went back to DS1 and completed it, then completed DS3. I'll get around to DS2...eventually...

Oh boy, it's an upload of Matt's stream footage of Shantae.

Unless you missed it the first time (or can't get enough snek or mermaid), nothing much to see here.

C1RWb49UoAAbHky.jpg

I love the current trend of Pat showed up by both Woolie and Paige in the soulsborne games and the ensuing salt

To be fair Woolie's success today was an obvious bug.

FromEngine v5.023 update notes

*optimizations in rendering increase draw distance across the board
*certain changes introduced to irritate random loud Canadian

If it's a glitch, it still turned out...cool

Edzi

You know, in hindsight, Matt's big essay/announcement about "leaving" the channel seems incredibly overblown and dramatic. He's still on videos and he's apparently coming back really soon for RE7. Plus, in light of Liam actually leaving, it just sounds like he made a big deal over taking a short vacation.

You know, in hindsight, Matt's big essay/announcement about "leaving" the channel seems incredibly overblown and dramatic. He's still on videos and he's apparently coming back really soon for RE7. Plus, in light of Liam actually leaving, it just sounds like he made a big deal over taking a short vacation.

not really

matt was feeling burned out over the schedule and anxiety, nothing about liam leaving for similar (and different) reasons really changes that.

Edzi

not really

matt was feeling burned out over the schedule and anxiety, nothing about liam leaving for similar (and different) reasons really changes that.

Yeah really. No reason why he couldn't have taken a short vacation behind the scenes.

Aquova

Yeah really. No reason why he couldn't have taken a short vacation behind the scenes.

I don't think so. Most of this Matt footage is old stuff that was filmed before he decided to take a break, or stream stuff which is done with much lower stakes. Dude needed a break, and even if he's coming back to do RE7, he might not return regularly after that for a while longer.

Edzi

I don't think so. Most of this Matt footage is old stuff that was filmed before he decided to take a break, or stream stuff which is done with much lower stakes. Dude needed a break, and even if he's coming back to do RE7, he might not return regularly after that for a while longer.

That's what I mean though. Most people in Matt's position could just record some extra footage for the channel to fill time while they took their own time off. Dunno, just seems really odd in hindsight.

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah, that's why a few pages back I was confused when people said he'd be back late in January. So his break has been about 3+ weeks?

Strimei

Yeah, that's why a few pages back I was confused when people said he'd be back late in January. So his break has been about 3+ weeks?

Apparently, or maybe he'll go back on a break once they finish LPing RE7?

I find it a bit odd though, yes.

I have to admit, I also find it a bit odd that he'd be ok with streaming as he did a few times while on break too. I can think of a few differences between LPing and streaming, admittedly, but at the end of the day I feel they're similar enough that if you feel so great anxiety and stress from one, wouldn't you feel it from the other as well?

But that's me and my own anxiety. Put me on any sort of camera (or put a camera on what I'm playing) and I'll be paralyzed by anxiety.

Breads

Banned
Wow, Woolie really is making the Lucky Ted playthrough happen.

I honestly thought that last Tinanite shard was going to be the Balder Side Sword.

Side note: It bugs the ever loving shit out of me that they aren't putting on the undead waistcloths. The def/weight/poise ratio is amazing! It just looks like trash.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Didn't Pat just say Matt would be back for RE7? But that doesn't specifically meaning he'll be back from his time off, just he'd be back for that LP series specifically? I think Matt can return for a video series every once in a blue moon while still taking time off. Plus doing horror games and the RE series is Matt and Pat's thing and they both seem like they're excited for RE7, so might of just wanted to do it blindly for fun rather than the stresses of the job (like I bet Pat takes on editing duty for RE7).

Aquova

Apparently, or maybe he'll go back on a break once they finish LPing RE7?

I find it a bit odd though, yes.

I have to admit, I also find it a bit odd that he'd be ok with streaming as he did a few times while on break too. I can think of a few differences between LPing and streaming, admittedly, but at the end of the day I feel they're similar enough that if you feel so great anxiety and stress from one, wouldn't you feel it from the other as well?

But that's me and my own anxiety. Put me on any sort of camera (or put a camera on what I'm playing) and I'll be paralyzed by anxiety.

I think he was having anxiety about the business/editing side of it, not the LPing itself. Making sure everything was running smoothly day after day, having to deal with technical issues and all that got to be too much for both Matt and Liam it seems. For streaming, it doesn't need to be nearly as perfect, and he can more easily just chat while playing video games, which all he wanted to do. At least that's what I've read into it.

Strimei

I think he was having anxiety about the business/editing side of it, not the LPing itself. Making sure everything was running smoothly day after day, having to deal with technical issues and all that got to be too much for both Matt and Liam it seems. For streaming, it doesn't need to be nearly as perfect, and he can more easily just chat while playing video games, which all he wanted to do. At least that's what I've read into it.

Hm true, I forget that's a part of it all too. A friend of mine who podcasts says that it requires a surprising amount of work (surprising to a layperson like myself anyway), and that's audio-only, so I can only imagine about stuff involving video.

edit: Catching up on some of the videos I missed over the past two days, and in regards to Gravity Rush 2, I was really under the impression that that town in 1 was the only place in the entire world. I never really thought there'd be other towns/cities.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hm true, I forget that's a part of it all too. A friend of mine who podcasts says that it requires a surprising amount of work (surprising to a layperson like myself anyway), and that's audio-only, so I can only imagine about stuff involving video.

edit: Catching up on some of the videos I missed over the past two days, and in regards to Gravity Rush 2, I was really under the impression that that town in 1 was the only place in the entire world. I never really thought there'd be other towns/cities.

Recording the LP is probably the easiest/most fun part of the process. There's enjoyable aspects of the other parts as well (ie, working with artist or working yourself if an artist to get thumbnails/intros/outros, editing the video itself and making sure everything looks good, rendering it out and then uploading, monetizing, adding description, tags, etc., and then also making it go to their website and whatevers), for a single video it's not a big deal to do every blue moon.

When it becomes to become a bit much is the consistency of doing it. The whole process takes a bit longer than you may expect, and then you have to start dividing time up to do this consistently, do recording sessions, edit, render, upload, type stuff up, contact people, record session, edit, etc. Especially to mee a 2-3 video a day upload schedule like they do.

Add to doing that over a long period of time with also interacting with your fans, conventions, whatever, getting your name out there, growing worries of the market and views, earnings, tackling the finances of the company and earning to the different members since their a group, all while trying to maintain your own personal life while also having to try and work on what's best to do because no one is there to tell you what to do or what's a good decision because there's no easy way to succeed at this and there's a big pool of competition, how do you stand out, how do you grow, and keep putting that work in to record, edit, again and again-

It basically becomes a cycle, and it can start to become easy to make something which you enjoy at heart become stressful, especially if doubt is planted into your mind about... Well, all of it. Is this what I should be doing with my life, do people like what I do, is the output as good as it once was or are we slipping, I now have a wife I want to spend time with... There's a lot more, but it can swarm on a person more than one might expect. It's like a routine you have to keep up except it's on your shoulders to make it succeed or fail.

Any self-employed position can be stressful, especially one without security, and soon you may find various aspects of your life being taken away since you need to focus on your job and if you don't do it, it's only on you when things don't go right.

Strimei

That's fair, I never really thought of it from that angle. Thanks for explaining it that way, much clearer.

edit: I'm watching those Drakengard/Nier analysis videos Pat recommended and man, even after knowing how messed up the whole thing was, it still goes beyond what I expect.

I wanted the second Titanfall OT to be "I've got good Tone".

Viper might be a pain in the ass to fight but he's the most memorable member of the Cobra Unit that you fight, next to Ash.

JC Sera

That's fair, I never really thought of it from that angle. Thanks for explaining it that way, much clearer.

edit: I'm watching those Drakengard/Nier analysis videos Pat recommended and man, even after knowing how messed up the whole thing was, it still goes beyond what I expect.

I was really happy ween he recced those cause now I could show friends about drakengard/nier and how fucked up it is :D

Yeah, the drakengard videos are great or w/e, but I noticed he has a Legend of Legaia video, and shit, I watched that one and an hour later I was starting a new game. Fucking one of my favorite PS1 games back in the day, wish more games stole that combat system, instead all we got was legaia 2, which I don't remember shit about other then it just not being very good.

C1RWb49UoAAbHky.jpg

I love the current trend of Pat showed up by both Woolie and Paige in the soulsborne games and the ensuing salt

It's definitely been a treat to get to witness, particularly in the stream where you can see him physically react instead of just audibly.
Honestly, Paige's progression through BB has been one of the most enjoyable things I've watched in a long time. She really took to it in a way I was not expecting and is constantly making things look way easier than I remember them being... It's really making me want to go back and play that again too. If only I had more hard drive space for all these games I'm suddenly getting nostalgic for again...

On that anime/game to movie adaptation talk on the podcast:

I wonder if any of them saw the Rurouni Kenshin movies, cause those are at the top of my list. Amazing fights choreography, no shaky cam or 6 camera cuts per second as most Western action movies do. Highly recommended.

And the Attack on Titan movies are probably the worst. Part 1 was OK, Part 2 was a fuckfest

Xater

On that anime/game to movie adaptation talk on the podcast:

I wonder if any of them saw the Rurouni Kenshin movies, cause those are at the top of my list. Amazing fights choreography, no shaky cam or 6 camera cuts per second as most Western action movies do. Highly recommended.

And the Attack on Titan movies are probably the worst. Part 1 was OK, Part 2 was a fuckfest

I liked Parasyte.

zeemumu

You can actually see your mentor pilot loading the SERE kit into BT in the first level right after you get out of the tutorial pod.

Strimei

Have they said what's replacing Titanfall? Only ongoing LP at this point is Dark Souls so I have to imagine tehre'll be something, or otherwise I guess a bunch of one-offs or stream stuff.

Archgan

Have they said what's replacing Titanfall? Only ongoing LP at this point is Dark Souls so I have to imagine tehre'll be something, or otherwise I guess a bunch of one-offs or stream stuff.

They said that in the week coming up there might not be 2 videos everyday. I think they said there was going to be only 10-11 videos that week.

BaasRed

Banned
Lol why is Pat getting mad at Woolie for blasting through the parish enemies like they are nothing? He has the Drake sword, Pat knows how overpowered it is for his part of the game. Can't wait to see if Woolie decides to
attack Lautrec of Carim or send him to the Shrine. Knowing Pat, he might spoil part of Lautrec's storyline while also being wrong somehow. ;)

Holy fuck I actually beat the Gargoyles in DS1

I finally beat the Gargoyles in DS1

I'm like officially a competent gamer now

Thank you Darlington for giving me confidence

zeemumu

Now it's off to blighttown where any semblance of confidence will be forcibly beaten out of you

Matsukaze

Congrats, though I must say the satisfaction you feel now is a fraction of what you'll feel when you beat Ornstein and Smough.

Thx guys, I was getting into the groove with the stair strategy, but still botching it. And I always get hit by the doggie as soon as I enter, so I may pelt them from the gate.

I just don't understand why the arena is so claustrophobic, I keep getting caught on that tree lol, even the enemies do sometimes.

But one thing I did learn from the gargoyles, is to just not abuse the lock-on, rolling away is way easier.

And yes Ill be sure to punch him in the dick

Top Bottom