• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Archgan

It's just 80% of what I hear of Machinima is that its pretty terrible as far as contracts go, a lot of shady shit and such. Eh, could be they're the lucky few with no complaints but I doubt it.

As long they as they can make quality videos on a regular basis (while making a living off of it of course), I'm cool with whatever.
I'm pretty sure most of the complaints about Machinima are how they treat their smaller partners. The Best Friends are one of their bigger ones so I'm sure they are being treated well. They've said multiple times that Machinima is great to them and answers their questions in a timely manner. IIRC, they also flew them out to E3(?) one year.

It looks pretty alright for the average open world thing, but it's definitely not something I care about paying $60 for right now when I could just play MGS5. I might pick it up later when it's on the cheap because it looks neat enough.

Selling this game, this close to MGSV. I'm guessing they were trying to keep the game's release as close to the film's as possible, but what bad luck.

Skrams

Some of those are months old episodes of Freedom Planet, some of the 'exclusives' aren't real exclusives, and machinima is all over it.

Mike also now informed me it's part of the Machinima deal.

I assume you mean real exclusive as in vessel exclusive forever? I mean yeah, obviously. They're all labeled as 72 hour exclusives so yeah, of course. I just hope they mention it on the next podcast since it's kind of a weird thing to not mention.

Wish I knew about LinusTechTips thing as that would of been nice to have at this moment.

Wish I knew about LinusTechTips thing as that would of been nice to have at this moment.

I honestly dodn't think Vessel is going to be a big deal. Matter of fact when I was browsing at the time of the LTT move (near Vessel's launch), there was fuck all on that website. I mean, there still is that problem. Now it's just LTT, SBF, and RussianBadger there to watch. All it's doing is allowing a period of time to catch the episodes first. I have to wonder how this works with their website though; is Vessel exclusive even to SBF's site, and the site will publish the videos with the Youtube release?

But if tonight is MGS part 7, I'm growing more comfortable with Liam's playstyle since he's demonstrating that he actually knows what the fuck he's doing. Sounds like this is after some time when he's been doing side-ops.

Squishy3

I'm pretty sure most of the complaints about Machinima are how they treat their smaller partners. The Best Friends are one of their bigger ones so I'm sure they are being treated well. They've said multiple times that Machinima is great to them and answers their questions in a timely manner. IIRC, they also flew them out to E3(?) one year.
i'm fairly sure all their pax visits are being handled by machinima as well

Favorite LPs would be Barkley, Deadly Premonition, and Heavy Rain. Least favorite are Shaolin Monks, Walking Dead S2, and Nuzlocke sans the finale.

Top tier LP's right there, I could never finish DP. Couldn't remember what part I stopped at and scrapped the whole watch.

SM and WDS2 were pretty rough. While I could see why people hated the Nuzlocke, I was fine with it (though the finale was the hypest part by far)

Barkley, Yakuza 4, Silent Hill 2. Least would be NMH2 and Shaolin Monks.

Silent Hill 2 is so damn good, and Pat's unbridled enthusiasm for it made the series even better. Yakuza I never finished (same reason as DP.) NMH2 was decent.

Favorite is Revengance. Shit got me into SBF and character action games. I feel like Tormentum was kind of forgettable, Korra wasn't great, and the Berserk game. Oh, and Dark Souls.

MGR was just hyped though and through, loved it. Watching Tormentum for the time and yet it's kinda a slow burn but I hope it'd get better. Korra/Berserk never watched, seems like I did right by skipping those.
Dark Souls was sooo long, loved it but I feel it ruined me a bit since I couldn't watch more than the 1st episode of bloodbourne. Felt like it'd be a a rehash of the DS2 LP.

What are y'all personal favorite LP's? And least?

Yakuza 4, Sonic Adventure, Barkley and probably Streetwise. Least favourite is probably Nuzlocke, but I still watched it every single episode though it eventually turned into a podcast to listen to their dumb shit.

I just really want a Pat and Liam Nier LP.

Disgraced

Favorites: Beyond, Berserk, Concrete Jungle, Life Is Strange, Prison Break, Disaster, Man vs. Wild, Streetwise, Fight for NY, Revelations 2, Downcoming, Ride To Hell, Dark Souls 2

LPs I don't like: Nuzlocke, Bloodborne, Astro Boy, Danganronpa, Madworld, Shaolin Monks, Chrono Trigger, Phantom Pain, Bionic Commando: Re-Armed, The Fall, Legend of Korra, Sonic Adventure, Starfox Adventures, Parasite Eve

Barkley was a funny LP but that's 95% owed to the game. If anything their commentary hindered it.

Life is Strange is pretty great. It has some slow moments but it's overall good.

To SBF's credit, I think they're probably some of the best LPers around. They can somehow manage to make shitty games super interesting and bearable, and very rarely have had absolute stinkers of LPs.

Disgraced

Good choices people.

Is the Life is Strange LP worth getting into?
I like it a lot, they have a good grip on when to kid around and when to be reserved and tasteful for when shit in that game gets serious. Liam's very observant, and makes well-thought-out decisions, and it's interesting to hear his reasoning when he explains. I would wait until the thing's done unless you like to wait a while for episodes though. They're doing like four LPs at once now and when an episodic release gets lumped on top of that you're left waiting almost a week for new entries sometimes. It's not fun.

Barkley is in my top 3 LP's, for the sole reason I thought I was hallucinating when I watched the first episode. I had just came back from a party, drunk as all hell, when I saw they had uploaded it. I couldn't believe my eyes and when woke up the next day I remembered it as the most vivid/elaborate drunken memory I'd ever had. Plus it's a awesome game in of itself.

Life is Strange is pretty great. It has some slow moments but it's overall good.

To SBF's credit, I think they're probably some of the best LPers around. They can somehow manage to make shitty games super interesting and bearable, and very rarely have had absolute stinkers of LPs.

The fact that 3 of the 4 man group have actually worked in the games industry makes all the difference, and to his credit Pat isn't a slouch at all when it comes to the more technical parts either. You can tell they know what the fuck they're talking about (for the most part) and having watched other LP'ers, it's tough to follow up.

The depressing kind. ;_;

Hmm..

MrHoot

Among my favourites: Silent Hill 2, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (two which I think are the best in the more "serious LP" categories), Their shitstorm series in general if that counts. In fact most of their horror games one like Rule of Rose, or the bad silent hills are among my favourite. With Deadly Premonition included of course. And Until dawn is shaping up to be great

Also the particularily terrible stuff, like Beyond Two Souls and Ride to hell.

Basicaly, whenever they can break the game, or the game breaks them (with spooks)

The fact that 3 of the 4 man group have actually worked in the games industry makes all the difference, and to his credit Pat isn't a slouch at all when it comes to the more technical parts either. You can tell they know what the fuck they're talking about (for the most part) and having watched other LP'ers, it's tough to follow up.

And they never flood the airwaves begging for likes/faves/comments/anything else that every other LPer screams for. It shows me they do what they do because they love it, not because the money is good.

Favorite LPs, huh? Got quite a number, I'd say. I like MGR and Killer is Dead a whole lot just for how excited Matt and Pat are when they're playing. Barkley's fantastic for the sheer discovery of all the nonsense in that game. And because I'm very fond of playthroughs done by people who really know a game inside and out, RE4, Silent Hill 2, and No More Heroes particularly stand out to me and my interests. Hell, Silent Hill 2 gave me a better look at and appreciation for that game, so it's certainly worth something.

Only LP that immediately comes to mind that I dislike was Nuzlocke, because it was terrible yet I continued to watch it hoping it would get better (it would during the stream, but that didn't save the whole playthrough). The rest that I don't like I'm indifferent to.

Good choices people.

Is the Life is Strange LP worth getting into?

Heard of Nier, what is type of game is it?
The kind with a story that could not be told as well in any other medium.

An unpolished but super unique and memorable action RPG where you play as Barbarian Nick Nolty out on a quest to save his daughter in a world that's going to shit. It's especially worthwhile if you're familiar with Yoko Taro and Drakengard.

And once again, I'll use this to reiterate the sentiment that Liam and Pat should seriously do a playthrough of it on the channel. Especially for Pat, since he's never played it.

Anung

Un Rama

Resident Evil 2 is the GOAT. Walking Dead, I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, Downcoming (both crappy SH LPs), Silent Hill 2 are probably my favourites and I could watch them repeatedly. Parasite Eve 2 and Resi 3 might make the cut but I need to rewatch them.

Least favourites are The Evil Within, Starfox and I'm not fond of LOU. Most double blinds are usually of questionable quality.

Shitstorm of Scariness is my favorite thing on the channel and I rewatch it so much. Love it.

Is the Mad Max video's framerate fucked up for anyone else? At some point it just starts to become unwatchable and I doubt Matt and Woolie were experiencing this since there would definitely be comments on it. Maybe a recording issue.

Is the Mad Max video's framerate fucked up for anyone else? At some point it just starts to become unwatchable and I doubt Matt and Woolie were experiencing this since there would definitely be comments on it. Maybe a recording issue.

"There were about 10,000 problems recording this video, some audio got lost and shit. As for the framerate issues, It's actually not my PS4, as we've recorded lots of stuff on it before. The first two parts of MGSV, for example, and a fair chunk of Until Dawn. Something during the encoding/rendering of the video. Have no idea how to fix it. Sorry guys".

Matt via Reddit.

"There were about 10,000 problems recording this video, some audio got lost and shit. As for the framerate issues, It's actually not my PS4, as we've recorded lots of stuff on it before. The first two parts of MGSV, for example, and a fair chunk of Until Dawn. Something during the encoding/rendering of the video. Have no idea how to fix it. Sorry guys".

Matt via Reddit.

Damn, I wanted to wait for a reupload but I guess this is it :/

Ah well, shit happens.

Anung

Un Rama
Part 8's there.

I'm tentatively open to premium content. A lot of my favorite creators do this kind of thing. Not acknowledging it from the get-go is a poor way to start though.

I usually go on the defensive because so many people handle this kind of thing wrong. Starting it before actually telling us about it sucks. As long as it isn't like the Game Grumps Tableflip nonsense though.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

I thought that was Woolie's presence causing all those problems, because he is clearly on the no-fly zone for Australia.

Part 8's there.

I'm tentatively open to premium content. A lot of my favorite creators do this kind of thing. Not acknowledging it from the get-go is a poor way to start though.

It's not really premium. These videos will still come out on youtube. It's also not directly paying them like premium content, although I don't know what the arrangement with Vessel is.

I suspect they're going to mention this on the podcast, they're just front loading it for when the videos start hitting youtube, timed with the announcement.

Seeing Neir get mentioned and the perpetual blue balling of Ultimax, what other game do you guys really wanna see?

Bonus points for mentioning a specific pairing for it as well.

I really want to see Earthbound/Mother 3(prefer the latter but it's harder to do, if not impossible). Pat/Liam if one of them hasn't played it, if both of them have I prefer a "has played it + has not played it" combo, those are always the best for LPs.

Disgraced

It's not really premium. These videos will still come out on youtube. It's also not directly paying them like premium content, although I don't know what the arrangement with Vessel is.

I suspect they're going to mention this on the podcast, they're just front loading it for when the videos start hitting youtube, timed with the announcement.
Call it what you want. But you'd think if you wanted to be paid for something you'd talk about it. Nobody even tweeted about it. I get that a lack of preparedness and professionalism is kind of the Zaibatsu's MO, but I think when you begin to overtly deal with money no matter the amount it's a slippery slope in this type of business. It's really easy to rustle some jimmies. Myself, I'm not offended at this yet, but I don't think I'm jumping the gun feeling concerned about it as it is now. There's probably a video, blog post, podcast segment, or something in the pipeline but that doesn't make the handling of right now any better.

I don't get what there is to be concerned about, honestly. Vessel isn't a direct payment to them, and you're not missing out on any content. There's no exclusivity other than a time delay between it appearing on Vessel and Youtube (side note, 72 hours is pretty short for how some people release content through Vessel). Vessel is a platform you pay access to, and according to what I heard when LTT moved there, Vessel just has a different arrangement that works better than youtube for some people.

Maybe the podcast will have a code for a free year.

I still wanna see an SMT game, preferably Digitial Devil Saga. Either Pat/Woolie or Pat/Liam is fine for that.

A Matt/Liam Zelda game would be cool too. Any would be fine, but I'd pick Link's Awakening.

Numb

I still wanna see an SMT game, preferably Digitial Devil Saga. Either Pat/Woolie or Pat/Liam is fine for that.

A Matt/Liam Zelda game would be cool too. Any would be fine, but I'd pick Link's Awakening.

If they do DDS1 then they gotta do 2.Not a chance.
I know nothing about strange journey so i'm down for it. Raidou games i wanna see aswell.
Lots of Zelda they could do.

Top Bottom