• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So I finally decided to start paying attention and I'm actually hearing some pretty encouraging things about this game. Enough to throw it into the GameFly Que (or buy it for $30). 360 or PS3?

The 360 version apparently runs somewhat better than the PS3 version.

pa22word

I think I must be the only guy in the entire world to unequivocally love this game's combat >.>

There's never a dull moment in combat, and I'm always on my toes. Sure it's not as smooth as Homecoming's is, but it's not trying to be. I just love the feeling of frantically running around after my weapon breaks, searching for a new one, and if it's a small object I usually chunk it at them to buy more time in the search of a stronger one. The tension added through this is awesome. The PhysX effects with the wooden chairs are so incredibly satisfying, and I love throwing chairs at things just to watch them break.

Also (installed 360v here), I find the framerate issues to be slightly overblown tbqh. The game chugs/stutters occasionally, but it's not like it's gamebreaking at all. The majority of the fps dips stem from the game's tendency to autosave way more often than it should. One time I was walking down the street and the game saved FIVE TIMES IN A ROW. What the hell Konami? I have no idea why it's saving so often, but it must be a bug because I've seen people reporting that the game never seems to autosave for them except for when they enter and exit buildings. Those guys have no idea how much I envy those guys >.>

As for the "levels" themselves, I've enjoyed all of them thoroughly since the
Centennial Building
. Both the aforementioned level and
The Church
were just really great Silent Hill levels, but I wish the former's
otherworld segment would have been less linear and more focused on exploration though. It's also a real shame the Charlie reveal at the end of the Church was undercut by the seemingly extremely low budget animation

Honestly for the first time since Silent Hill 4 it feels like I'm playing a genuine Silent Hill game again, and it's a great feeling indeed. It's just such a shame reviewers seem to be doing their usual thing with this game: "if it isn't polished, let's rip it to shreds!"

It's all reviewers seem to care about these days, and it's stifling innovation. Honestly if I was a pub/dev and I saw the reviews Downpour was getting I'd be scared to death of ever making a real horror game, and sadly, this one will probably be one of the last mainstream horror titles we ever see.

I sincerely hope Hulett, Gomez, and the guys at Vatra get another crack at it (this time with a respectable budget), because they are dangerously close to having a truly amazing horror title on their hands.

*sidequest spoiler below*

ffs guys that jump scare with the ax murder made me scream out loud "HOLY FUCKING SHIT". Probably the hardest I've been startled by a jump scare since the RE1 dogs through the window.

Oh and the tell tale heart scene after you grab the heart was so intense omfg o___o

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I've been playing more of this in 3D using the HMZ-T1 and it really is incredibly immersive. Despite the performance dips, the 3D experience is one of the coolest I've had to date. If you dial in the settings properly the game is VERY dark and scary feeling. Absolutely love it.

The improved image quality and performance in 3D mode is also decidedly strange but good.

Levito

Banned
Does anymore else thing the monsters look like guys in suits?

And I don't mean in the "They look like monsters to you?" kind of way. I mean they literally look like guys that just walked off the set of Power Rangers, especially the prisoner monsters.

Cudder

And I don't mean in the "They look like monsters to you?" kind of way. I mean they literally look like guys that just walked off the set of Power Rangers, especially the prisoner monsters.

Guys in suits? Nah, they just look like lame monsters to me.

Bebpo

Banned

The screamers and their spinoffs are really really bad, which I keep mentioning. Monster Design is the only true negative about the game imo. The part in the monastery where
you have to reach into a screamer to get a key
was laughably bad because up close and personally they are such bad, bad designs. Not scary at all. I can forgive the rest of the enemy designs, but the female/male versions of the screamer design are terrible.

It's a small blight on an overall good game.

The thing is that the Screamer concept art doesn't look too bad. It's not remotely going to touch the early titles monsters, but the face in particular looks pretty interesting and grotesque. The in-game model completely lets it down and is laughable by comparison.

Sh_downpour_art_120317_17_screamer.jpg

o1vN7.jpg

I mean, WTF.

I dunno, personally I think that thing looks pretty creepy. Not saying it was executed that well in the game, but it does have a freaky face.

The thing is that the Screamer concept art doesn't look too bad. It's not remotely going to touch the early titles monsters, but the face in particular looks pretty interesting and grotesque. The in-game model completely lets it down and is laughable by comparison.

Sh_downpour_art_120317_17_screamer.jpg

o1vN7.jpg

I mean, WTF.

At least this ended up not making it into the final game as anything important.

imqYF4Ba6wOn2.gif

iKFdZNwC43gfM.gif

But yes, downpours creatures are... The worst of the series with the exception of shattered memories. That prisoner thing from the cover looks like something straight out of Clive Barkers ass.

Yeah, that would have been complete shit as a boss (the train cars as hands LOL). Though I will say
using it as the finale of the train sequence and it yelling "GO BACK MURPHY!" was unsettling cause it came out of nowhere.

The Doll is strongest design and best implemented creature in the game, IMO.

EJzeI.jpg

Lime

I'm still not buying this until the reactions have brewed and matured a bit, but I'm glad that there aren't a lot of negative reactions so far, although I still think any kinship with SH1-3 will sour my approach to Downpour. Also, the art and writing judging from press material and user comments still seem unimpressive as a narrative-focused singleplayer game.

I might pick this up on a rainy game day. If there's a PC version, I'd be much more willing.

Levito

Banned
Yeah, and? Subjectivity for the win. Feel free to have your opinion and I'll be over here with mine.

Nothing, I just thought they looked silly. :p

The monster desgin in future installment are hopefully a big improvement from the past few games. It may not be a fair comparison but...

redpyramidthing.jpg

last.jpg

xdog.jpg

Really puts anything in the past few games(SH4 included) to complete shame.

Always thought homecoming had some pretty good creatures, even the guy coming out of his own ass. Most of silent hill 1's creatures sucked pretty hard, Incubus too.

Teknoman

Well Ito has flipping insane monster design skills, so it's kinda unfair to compare anything to it :p

Silent Hill 1's stuff wasnt that scary...aside from the sounds the smaller enemies made/that crazy ringing noise (like static so much more since it doesnt really compel me to run like a madman down a dark hallway).

That being said, when did you guys find the walkie talkie in Downpour? I only made it to the
part right after the trip through the Centennial building
but never found anything alerting to enemy presence.

Bebpo

Banned
At the first pit stop/gas station at the opening of the game. I guess they needed to make it more obvious because it does seem like a lot of people missed it and that sort of changes an element of the game for the rest of it. They should have just given it to you in a cutscene.

Bebpo

Banned

o1vN7.jpg

I mean, WTF.

The problem is that doesn't even look like something supernatural even. I've seen worse looking injured people on the street. Just looks like a homeless goth lady with some face damage.

The guy version is just as bad. It's like some goth emo dude chasing you around with a knife.

Silent Hill enemies should not look like things of this world.

yeaaaaaahhhh...this would have been hilarious.

In general I'm glad Downpour doesn't have many boss fights. I honestly think bosses don't really 'fit' with Silent Hill since the games are not about combat at all. Any bosses should be puzzle fights rather than "hit them a bunch of times while dodging attacks" fights.

Teknoman

At the first pit stop/gas station at the opening of the game. I guess they needed to make it more obvious because it does seem like a lot of people missed it and that sort of changes an element of the game for the rest of it. They should have just given it to you in a cutscene.

Yeah all I found was a flashlight lol.

addyb

Well I'm not too far in. I'm in devils pit and come across my 2nd encounter with a different nasty. So far I'm really really enjoying it and I'm not ashamed to say I've fallen for some predictable scares. Ive sat here and played it in darkness and I've been on the edge of my seat non stop so for that I commend the game as I expected the game to be dull as hell judging by what other people have said.

Whilst I'm not a fan of the combat I'm actually learning to appreciate how it actually fits into the game and I genuinely panic now and don't want to run into anything I can't handle or have my weapon break at the wrong time. So again I think it all adds to the tension.

I'm not a series veteran by any means but I do like my survival horror and this feels like a throwback to the good old days of SH and even resi evil. Again I can't really comment fully until I've finished the game but I think the negative reviews have seriously got this wrong and are way off the mark. Performance wise I've had the odd stutter but it's been minimal and I've barely noticed when it's happened.

I'm just so glad it's actually exceeded expectations. I thank fellow gaf members who gave there thoughts as it actually made me take the chance on the game. Normally with the metacritic score as it is I'd of waited for a bargain bin price before I picked it up.

Bebpo

Banned
I've never actually had a weapon break yet. How many enemies do you need to kill with a single weapon to break it? I'm usually picking up a new weapon every 3 or 5 minutes so at most I kill 1 or 2 enemies max before changing weapons. I'm playing on normal combat.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I guess they didn't play Origins.

Also, that scene was like 2 mins long. I can think of a half-dozen better setpieces in the game already.

It's also dulled by the set piece with the idyllic house that you can go into. With the attic. It's basically the same set piece.

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm doing sidequests and one thing that's annoying about them and making me not want to bother is just like how some people missed the radio at the start, somehow I missed the ability to unlock subway entrances to quick travel around town. Whenever I go in any subway entrance the gate inside it is locked and I don't even get a "use item" prompt and it's not the kind of lock I can just bash open. I have no idea why I can't open open these shortcuts.

So instead I have to run all the way back to the start of the game on foot, which is not a ton of distance since it's a fairly small size town in this one, but your movement speed when not being chased by a monster is REALLY SLOW so it takes a while and is pretty tedious :( Wrapping up sidequests would be much better with working quick travel subway stations. :|

Also, I'm pretty unimpressed by a lot of the sidequests I've done lately. There's just not much too them from a story perspective. Like I just did
Dead Man's Hand & Mirror, Mirror
and they were both kind of whatever though at least the latter had a puzzle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the main game, just the sidequests aren't doing anything for me. And the ones that are collect-a-thons like the paintings/birds/etc... are kind of tedious so I hope they pay off. I feel like the main game has really perfect horror game pacing. Like you're playing through a good twin peaks-ish horror film. Sidequesting is cool if you're exploring as you progress in the story and just happen into a house and do a quest in it, but when you're at the endgame and just running around collecting stuff to wrap up the sidequests it's kind of counter-productive to the narrative pace. Might just finish up the story and save the sidequests for if I ever replay it. That or youtube them.

pa22word

Whenever I go in any subway entrance the gate inside it is locked and I don't even get a "use item" prompt and it's not the kind of lock I can just bash open. I have no idea why I can't open open these shortcuts. .

Without spoilers: keep playing.

You don't unlock them until one of the later sidequests

Bebpo said:
So I'm doing sidequests and one thing that's annoying about them and making me not want to bother is just like how some people missed the radio at the start, somehow I missed the ability to unlock subway entrances to quick travel around town.
There's a sidequest meant to unlock certain areas but it's frankly broken. One of the things I'd really like to see patched.

Bebpo said:
At the first pit stop/gas station at the opening of the game.
As for the radio location, I found it
right at the bus crash. It's on the other side of the tree across from the crash before you go under the big branch.
I found it before I found the flashlight.

WoodenLung said:
Most of silent hill 1's creatures sucked pretty hard, Incubus too.
I disagree. They were hampered by the limited technology to render them. At the concept level, they are actually pretty damned solid.

Pg26-27SH1Creature.jpg

Teknoman

Got a point there...which is why i'd actually want a true Silent Hill 1 remake in the style of what Capcom did for REmake.

But looking at the way they are handling the series now...probably should leave well enough alone. I need to replay 1 as well, since the first time I played it (when it hit PSN) I got the bad ending...missed that one chemical item you're supposed to get.

Bebpo

Banned
Been to every location that the fishing rod was supposed to be on each difficulty level and it's just not there anywhere. This is annoying. Any tips?

I'm playing on normal puzzle so the guides all say it should either be down the ladder to the spillway at the entrance or in the alley between the spillway and dead man's hand house.

*edit, watched a youtube video of where it's supposed to be on normal. Definitely not there. Any way to make it appear, or am I just screwed on finishing this quest and getting the "all quests" trophy? :\

Bebpo

Banned
Alright, well 5 hours later (and a little over 10 hours total), all sidequests done except for the bugged homeless quest. Took almost as long to do all the quests as the main game did up until that point.

I think I probably would have enjoyed sidequesting more if it didn't require running sloooow all across town at 15fps with constant stutters and loading. The tech really dragged it down since exploring the main town is where the tech struggles the most and the sidequests are a ton of running back and forth and all around. The subway shortcuts helped a good deal, but was still really time consuming.

I stand by what I said early, where the sidequests are a good thing in Downpour if you happen into a door because it's raining and discovery some neat little creepy house with its own story to solve. But if you get to the end of the main story and you just decide to spend 4-5 hours doing all the quests, they are totally not worth it. Very time consuming, slow, a bit tedious, and honestly the only ones I thought were REALLY neat were the Cinema one, the Gramophone one (thought that was the best quest), and maybe the Stolen Items one. The rest were all kind of eh, and most of them ended on a whimper instead of some really cool finale after a long quest (looking at you shadow sigils & art collector & birds).

I think if I ever replayed the game I'd skip all the sidequests and just straight run through the main story in 6-7 hours for a good SH experience. I'd also recommend to other people to just do sidequests they stumble upon as they move through the story but not detour too much, and to save sidequest hunting for a 2nd play.

Anyhow, took the boat. Will finish up the story tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing how it all ends!

PS. Having the homeless quest be the BUGGED quest is really bad because you lose out on 1) the trophy/achievement for the quest itself, 2) the trophy/achievement for ALL QUESTS COMPLETED and 3) unlocking the final shortcuts to save you a little time in the end. Can't believe they didn't catch that in QA since just by googling it, so many people have been affected by the missing fisherman's rod bug. I would've thought they'd have at least patched that by now but who knows if they're working on any solution.

Yeah there does seem to be a issue with that quest being bugged out with the fishing rod. Even after finishing it I couldn't use one of the doors down in the subway... lame. I luckily didn't experience that missing fishing rod though even though it was one of the last quests I finished. Though curious what system are you playing on? I also swear that my second and third playthroughs on easy did not chop and stutter as much as my first play through on hard. Unless I simple got used to it.

That animated gif with the train boss looked interesting... I'm starting to think quite a few things got cut. The hair on the screamers have no physics to them anymore like most trailers showed. A sequence with a fan pulling murphy in doesn't happen, and now that gif of that scrapped boss battle. It would be cool to have a interview with the devs on all they cut and why they cut/changed things.

Bebpo

Banned
Also, the bank sidequest was surprisingly fun. Reading about it, I thought I was going to hate it since I hadn't fought much at all the entire game and I was dreading arena combat. But I just took out a pistol since I'd saved up like 60-70 bullets by then and man, in this game a pistol makes enemies a joke, lol. Was a lot of fun just shooting down all the enemies without a care in the world. Now at the final location I have a gun with 60 or so bullets + 19 health packs. I think I am set :D

Btw, the Gramophone sidequest end seemed like a nice nod to Silent Hill 2. The
painting on fire and painting dripping blood were very cool.

Yeah there does seem to be a issue with that quest being bugged out with the fishing rod. Even after finishing it I couldn't use one of the doors down in the subway... lame. I luckily didn't experience that missing fishing rod though even though it was one of the last quests I finished. Though curious what system are you playing on? I also swear that my second and third playthroughs on easy did not chop and stutter as much as my first play through on hard. Unless I simple got used to it.

That animated gif with the train boss looked interesting... I'm starting to think quite a few things got cut. The hair on the screamers have no physics to them anymore like most trailers showed. A sequence with a fan pulling murphy in doesn't happen, and now that gif of that scrapped boss battle. It would be cool to have a interview with the devs on all they cut and why they cut/changed things.

Playing on PS3. Reaaally should have played on X360 though going by some of the gameplay youtube videos I've seen. 3D helps A LOT and I'm glad I have the opportunity to play it on a 3DTV, but the X360 clips still look much smoother and the load times installed appear to be like 1/5th the length. PS3 version has long loads for everything.

You know, the PS3 version also appears much DARKER. This is a bad/good thing. It's bad because at some indoor parts (basements and such) it's REALLY HARD TO SEE ANYTHING. It's good because those locations become TERRIFYING due to it. The most frightening places in the game so far for me have been places where I literally could not see at all and was holding out my lighter since it was the only way I could see anything, which just gave a few feet visibility and beyond that was pure blackness and terrifying sounds coming from every direction. Fear incarnate there. The game has really creepy sound design. I can't count the number of sound effects that really disturbed me.

Though the best would have been if they just had a proper PC release as well so you could run it at a decent framerate without the streaming problems.

KorrZ

I stand by what I said early, where the sidequests are a good thing in Downpour if you happen into a door because it's raining and discovery some neat little creepy house with its own story to solve. But if you get to the end of the main story and you just decide to spend 4-5 hours doing all the quests, they are totally not worth it. Very time consuming, slow, a bit tedious, and honestly the only ones I thought were REALLY neat were the Cinema one, the Gramophone one (thought that was the best quest), and maybe the Stolen Items one. The rest were all kind of eh, and most of them ended on a whimper instead of some really cool finale after a long quest (looking at you shadow sigils & art collector & birds).

Yeah, it's a shame. I was really disappointed by those 3 side quests specifically. They took the entire game and none of them were really worth all the effort. It's nice that they're in there and they extend the game without feeling like padding. I mean
you get a pretty nice weapon from the shadow sigil quest, and another melee weapon from the painting one, but it's pointless. By the time you're able to finish the side quests..you're ready to get on the boat and you lose all the items anyway, really poorly thought out there.

I did really enjoy the Dead Man's Hand, Gramophone and Cinema quests. I don't regret doing all the side quests on my first playthrough, it was nice to experience them and it does add something to the game even if most of them are very small. You owe it to yourself to check them out even if just to explore the locations they take place in. I think I'll stick to the best ones on subsequent playthroughs though as well.

Bebpo

Banned
Dead Man's Hand was good for the scare and intensity, but I HATE MAZES =P I got so lost and that was not fun! Plus I don't even get the story behind it.
There's a guy who was playing cards and got a dead man's hand, so his hand was clamped and his heart was ripped out and taken into the sewers below. And you return his heart and he vanishes...the end. what??

KorrZ

Dead Man's Hand was good for the scare and intensity, but I HATE MAZES =P I got so lost and that was not fun! Plus I don't even get the story behind it.
There's a guy who was playing cards and got a dead man's hand, so his hand was clamped and his heart was ripped out and taken into the sewers below. And you return his heart and he vanishes...the end. what??

Ah but that was the fun part! The maze added to the tension :). As for the story, no idea...maybe there is some hidden meaning/symbolism there but really I think it's just a set up to scare the crap out of you.

addyb

Ive not actually got to Silent Hill yet but please tell me you can find a map somewhere? Ive a habit of getting totally lost in these kind of games.

Yeah I will skip all the sidequests in my further playthroughs in the future but the gramaphone, cinema, and dead man I will always hit up because they are just too cool imo. The rest I can skip but like someone said at the begining, it was fun just checking the whole town out. I'd like to see some further cool sidequests like that in future games but maybe just make them apart of the story, like for example when you have to go through the apartment building, made it where ya had to solve a murder or something to that extent before the building would let you leave.

As for the map, there should be a map of silent hill towards the exit of devils pit. Shouldn't be hard to miss.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yup, map is right out of Devil's Pit. In that little museum you exit out of to get into town. It's possible to go back and get it though.

I find it interesting how it seems the boss form of the monocle guy was scrapped. I wonder who he was supposed to be? The strategy guide apparently mentions the prisoners in the final area were originally supposed to be clowns. Again, I wonder what direction the story was supposed to go originally to involve clowns at all. Also, the Red Light seems to have been a black thunder cloud in earlier builds, and is reported on in the Game Informer game reveal and seen in the leaked Canadian trailer. Seems to grab you as opposed to just suck the life out of you when you're near.

Yup, map is right out of Devil's Pit. In that little museum you exit out of to get into town. It's possible to go back and get it though.

I find it interesting how it seems the boss form of the monocle guy was scrapped. I wonder who he was supposed to be? The strategy guide apparently mentions the prisoners in the final area were originally supposed to be clowns. Again, I wonder what direction the story was supposed to go originally to involve clowns at all. Also, the Red Light seems to have been a black thunder cloud in earlier builds, and is reported on in the Game Informer game reveal and seen in the leaked Canadian trailer. Seems to grab you as opposed to just suck the life out of you when you're near.

Wow yeah I did not know all that, and yeah I've been wondering who the hell that person is supposed to be/represent... anyone have any ideas? Any maybe originally Napier was dressed as a clown for kid partys or something like that? Just a thought cause otherwise the only other idea I could think is that Murphy just has a fear of them that somehow would have played into his terrors.

Top Bottom