• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

kinggroin

Banned
darkwings said:
I am really loving the flashlight aspect of it with the wiimote.

And no offense to the PSP, but i wouldnt want to play this on a small screen. Some of the atmosphere will be lost compared to a 50 inch LCD.

pfft :p

sphinx said:
I am not sure because there are times where he says "we are making progress here" which points at having a "therapy" that normally isn't just one session. I think it can be assumed that every time the game takes you back to Kaufmann, the Doc, then it's a new session.

I also always thought it was Harry being interviewed, I though actually that sessions were part of his adventures through silent hill. I mean, that he had this talk with the doc then went on looking for his daughter. Or that whatever strange things happened to him in silent hill was discussion material for the sessions in therapy... something like that.

So can you tell me, did I get a bad ending? Harry tells Cheryl "Just forget me" and turns into ice and shatters.

Can someone please tell me, are there echo messages, mementos or photos in the nightmare sequences???? and also: There are things that I can "use" but I can't figure out what to do sometimes because the game won't let me grab anything on the screen. Is it safe to asume that every usable thing serves a purpose and that I am surely leaving a memento or something behind?

Did Cheryl say anything to her father during your ending?

Edit - Also, what do you guys think the brothel symbolizes?

sphinx

the piano man
SlipperySlope said:
Did Cheryl say anything to her father during your ending?

Edit - Also, what do you guys think the brothel symbolizes?

If I remember correctly: "Why did you have to die (or go)"....

hehe, is that the worst ending?

oh and on the game about pairing married couples I put 2 men and 2 women together just to see if there was any gay related material in the coming chapters but no...

and WHAT THE HELL at the text with the ending credits, it DID mostly accurately describe my person

sphinx said:
If I remember correctly: "Why did you have to die (or go)"....

hehe, is that the worst ending?

oh and on the game about pairing married couples I put 2 men and 2 women together just to see if there was any gay related material in the coming chapters but no...

and WHAT THE HELL at the text with the ending credits, it DID mostly accurately describe my person
What happened after the camera scene where they are at the amusement park? The video after that changes depending on the ending. Honestly, I don't think there is a "worst" ending. They're just different.

MiniDitka

Just finished the PS2 version and can definitely recommend it to anyone that was interested but was worried how it would translate from the Wii version. While the graphics aren't are sharp and the controls not as immersive both do a pretty good job compared to the Wii version. Will have some gameplay vids up in a while.

sphinx

the piano man
MiniDitka said:
Just finished the PS2 version and can definitely recommend it to anyone that was interested but was worried how it would translate from the Wii version. While the graphics aren't are sharp and the controls not as immersive both do a pretty good job compared to the Wii version. Will have some gameplay vids up in a while.

I have not played this game on anything other than wii but I can tell to everyone looking at this thread to get impressions:

This is a Wii game, it clearly is made and tailored for the wii as first and only platform in mind with the other versions being there to get some more sales. So my tip to anyone on the fence: buy the PS2 version if you don't have a wii and are never ever going to get one. I wouldn't recommend the PSP version at all, sorry but horror games are terrible on small screens.

Owners of PS3s with PS2 compatibility and no Wii at home should absolutely buy this as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
sphinx said:
I have not played this game on anything other than wii but I can tell to everyone looking at this thread to get impressions:

This is a Wii game, it clearly is made and tailored for the wii as first and only platform in mind with the other versions being there to get some more sales. So my tip to anyone on the fence: buy the PS2 version if you don't have a wii and are never ever going to get one. I wouldn't recommend the PSP version at all, sorry but horror games are terrible on small screens.

Owners of PS3s with PS2 compatibility and no Wii at home should absolutely buy this as well.
But it's not a horror game. It's not really even that scary.

Dance In My Blood said:

The nightmare parts scared the shit out of me. But that may be due to the fact that all of my nightmares involve me running from something with no way to defend myself. So, yeah, kinda familiar territory for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Besides, PSP version will at least have advantage of not having huge chunky pixels, due to a small screen size. That's the version I plan to play at least. I know the big screen is good for immersive horror game, but no way I can stomach SD content with no antialiasing on a 50" screen anymore.

Unless of course, PSP version is completely botched, but it looked pretty good on that trailer.

sphinx

the piano man
Dance In My Blood said:

depens on what you consider horror.

If horror = Gore and enemies attacking you then yeah, it isn't a horror game.

If horror = obscure, disturbing, evil then it's a horror game.

Lord Error said:
Besides, PSP version will at least have advantage of not having huge chunky pixels, due to a small screen size. That's the version I plan to play at least. I know the big screen is good for immersive horror game, but no way I can stomach SD content with no antialiasing on a 50" screen anymore.

Unless of course, PSP version is completely botched, but it looked pretty good on that trailer.

o.k but make sure you have earphones and are playing in a proper room where you can focus on what is happening. Don't play it on the bus or train or where there are people talking to you.

dimb

sphinx said:
depens on what you consider horror.

If horror = Gore and enemies attacking you then yeah, it isn't a horror game.

If horror = obscure, disturbing, evil then it's a horror game.
No, you don't get to go around defining words. Horror is horrific. Intense, a sudden striking fear. Shattered Memories is a disturbing game, that can have an emotional resonance, but it doesn't set out to frighten the user.

It's not scary, and that's primarily because there's a lack of any sense of real danger unless it's presented to you in an isolated game segment. I like the game, but don't bill it as something it isn't.

sphinx said:

Origins worked perfectly well on PSP, very immersive with headphones and tucked in bed with it

sphinx

the piano man
Dance In My Blood said:
No, you don't get to go around defining words. Horror is horrific. Intense, a sudden striking fear. Shattered Memories is a disturbing game, that can have an emotional resonance, but it doesn't set out to frighten the user.

It's not scary, and that's primarily because there's a lack of any sense of real danger unless it's presented to you in an isolated game segment. I like the game, but don't bill it as something it isn't.

I disagree.

Some parts of this game are horrific and intense, like some parts in all other silent hill games.

Maybe you have grown immune to this kind of stuff but
the death nurse is horrific, nightmares are horrific and the shadows running around and photo figures are horrific.

I think you have played too much death space, resident evil 5 and have decided to declare THAT kind of horror presentation the only one valid. there are different kind of horror experiences and this is definitely one of them.

I have been attacked (and beaten) in this game more times in my first playthrough than I have ever been in the gamecube resident evil REmake in 4 or 5 playthroughs put together.

REmake is an horror game, right??

After finishing this I just really want another Silent Hill game or experience like this asap. I'm not sure what there is though. I never tried three, maybe I should track it down.

I picked this game up recently, but was extremely hesitant. I am one of those "I only like Silent Hill titles developed by Team Silent" fans and I didn't think much of Origins and I thought Homecoming was quite offensive on many levels. I think I am about half way done the game and I am surprisingly enjoying it WAY more than I thought I was.

There are a few things I don't like still. I really don't like how puzzle elements have white arrows above them pointing down on objects that you can interact with. While these are obviously placed for people who need clear direction on what to interact with, seeing a pointer on the screen, or white arrows or any kind of HUD in general completely takes me out of the game.

Other than that the story seems far more interesting than Homecoming and is it just me or do the character models just look better in this game than Homecoming?

Silent Hill has a more subtle form of horror that I'd say puts in a similar category to something like The Shining, Psycho or The Haunting from the 60's. Or heck, Jacob's Ladder, which is a huge influence on the Silent Hill series. The actual jumpy/sudden horrific scares are few in those films but the disturbing nature of everything still makes them considered horror.

Now that I think about it, several of those movies have slow, creepy build ups to chase scenes.

Lord Error said:

I never had an issue with this game on my bigscreen. The graphics are fine, and frankly, I'd call the best on the Wii. I like the lighting effects.

kinggroin

Banned
MiniDitka said:
Short Wii/PS2 video comparison. Will have some PS2 only and a few more comparison vids up as soon as possible.

PS2/Wii - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-o1kFrixDk

Not sure if you did it on purpose or what, but your video has it labeled as "PS2 on the left, and Wii on the right".

Well, that's true for the beginning of the comparison (especially noticeable when the demon is seen through the ice in the shaderless ps2 version). However, at some point the videos switch position.

I was starting to say to myself, "damn, the PS2 version actually looks better after the nightmare sequence!" Then I saw "open" with the DS "X" symbol in the video on the right. Realized that the feeds are swapped. Biggest give away being the shaders on the water in the video on the left (the supposed PS2 version).

You're not fooling anyone mister.

edit: Watching the comparison again. The difference is about the same as it was with RE4. Wii version has shaders (PS2 - none at all), view distance is significantly reduced in the ps2 version, not to mention lower poly count and less complex shadows and textures.

MiniDitka

kinggroin said:
Not sure if you did it on purpose or what, but your video has it labeled as "PS2 on the left, and Wii on the right".

Well, that's true for the beginning of the comparison (especially noticeable when the demon is seen through the ice in the shaderless ps2 version). However, at some point the videos switch position.

I was starting to say to myself, "damn, the PS2 version actually looks better after the nightmare sequence!" Then I saw "open" with the DS "X" symbol in the video on the right. Realized that the feeds are swapped. Biggest give away being the shaders on the water in the video on the left (the supposed PS2 version).

You're not fooling anyone mister.
Doh! in my haste to get the video done I messed up *fuck* Oh well, not the first stupid thing I've done. Thanks for alerting me to my mistake(fixed it in the video notes)

The ice transition effect with the bridge was totally gone. :(

edit: Wait, it's still there, it's just a texture effect now. The ice "melting" and the deforming metal of the bridge are gone, though.

MiniDitka

EmCeeGramr said:
The ice transition effect with the bridge was totally gone. :(

edit: Wait, it's still there, it's just a texture effect now. The ice "melting" and the deforming metal of the bridge are gone, though.
Yeah, the ice transition/ice levels and the draw distance during the daytime levels are probably the most noticeable differences between the two.

jrricky

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:

WTF is the game then if not horror? How friggin bold of you to say it's not scary and the developers didn't set out to make a "horror" game.

Hiltz

50k copies is pretty sad especially for the franchise's first appearance on a Nintendo platform.

It makes you wonder just how many Wii core gamers make up the whole Wii userbase. Well, there's certainly got to be a decent amount of core gamers out there missing out a very good game.

For the record, the developer of Shattered Memories views the game's genre as surival horror despite the game's difference from the traditional Silent Hill titles.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Quite a few things are downgraded in PS2 version, some understandably so, but it's too bad that it's missing the texture shader trickery and character self shadowing that was there in SH3. I'm about to pull the trigger on PSP version, so I'll report back how it looks like.

MiniDitka

A few pics. Can you spot the differences :lol

uvs100119-004.jpg
uvs100119-021.jpg

uvs100119-006.jpg
uvs100119-027.jpg

uvs100119-010.jpg
uvs100119-030.jpg

uvs100119-008.jpg
uvs100119-028.jpg

uvs100119-013.jpg
uvs100119-031.jpg

uvs100119-014.jpg
uvs100119-033.jpg

uvs100119-016.jpg
uvs100120-042.jpg

uvs100119-017.jpg
uvs100119-038.jpg

uvs100119-018.jpg
uvs100119-034.jpg

dimb

jrricky said:
WTF is the game then if not horror? How friggin bold of you to say it's not scary and the developers didn't set out to make a "horror" game.
A psychological thriller I guess.

Allow me to go out here for a second, but I feel like the overall tone of the game is similar to Cormac McCarthy's The Road. The road is bleak and depressing, and at times there is certainly peril facing the main characters, but it certainly isn't a horror story. Silent Hill just feels the same way to me. It's about the exploration of a dead world and forgotten memories.

To be fair, it would be "bold" to classify this as a horror game in light of what the previous Silent Hill games established. Those games work so hard to make your skin crawl, and to give you visions for the dark. Shattered Memories as a work of "horror" is a joke compared to those titles. Yes it is dark and disturbing, but it is not a work of horror because there is no sense of danger.

The way I see it, is that the atmosphere is there to unsettle gamers in a manner that gets players to lower their guard, and open their mind to be played with. I'm not saying this is bad. This is exactly the reason I like it, but it really is a new kind of Silent Hill.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So it looks like the PS2 version is a straight port-up of the PSP version.

but does it use the right analog stick to free-move the torch during exploration ? someone please answer this already :(

Weird, I just got an ending a little different than anything on YouTube.

I did the Sleaze and Sirens route this time. The part that was different about this ending is right after Harry turns to stone, before the home video, there was one extra scene. It's of Chreryl leaving the Lighthouse. She slowly walks out and meets a blond girl. I don't know who the blond was. Lisa perhaps? Maybe her mother? Couldn't tell. Cheryl then hugs her for a few seconds. Then it goes to the home video part. Anyone else get this one? I wonder what triggered it. I feel like I'm the only one who's gotten this one :) Maybe because I was trying to be as sleazy as possible.

Xater

teiresias said:
This part doesn't even make sense in the PS2 version anymore because it looks like he's frightened by a blank wall into running away. :lol

Sorry but those are just some bad screens. Even in the PSP version is a part where you can see the monster through the ice in that moment.

Seeing the PS2 version I'd say I prefer the PSP one. The changes don't feel that significant on the smaller screen.

MiniDitka

chandoog said:
So it looks like the PS2 version is a straight port-up of the PSP version.

but does it use the right analog stick to free-move the torch during exploration ? someone please answer this already :(
PS2 - Left stick = forward,back and strafe Right stick = up,down,left and right.

Erebus

Some differences are rather peculiar:

Are these two shots taken from the exact same point? If so, what happened to those colorful orbs in the PS2 version?

Wow, it looks like the statue can transform into different shapes! Spooky! :lol

And judging from the video (props to MiniDitka for putting it together btw), Silent Hill 3 and 4 looked way better than SM on PS2 at least.

JDS 1977

Banned
I wish they would have done this for 360 or ps3. I'm not into waggle and the ps2 version looks pretty rough. Sucks since it does look pretty cool.

kinggroin

Banned
JDS 1977 said:
I wish they would have done this for 360 or ps3. I'm not into waggle and the ps2 version looks pretty rough. Sucks since it does look pretty cool.

There's no real "waggle" in this game. The motion control is mostly subtle in it's use (the most extensive use of it is during the nightmare chase sequences).

If you have a Wii (which I'm guessing you don't), get it asap. Otherwise, the ps2 version isn't THAT bad.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have the PSP version now, and from the looks of things, it appears to be exactly the same as the PS2 version. I didn't play it too much, but the opening sequence with psychologist is really nicely done, the guy is well animated and looks great in general, the title screen video background and profile selection left a good impression too.

The actual gameplay so far has probably some of the best looking graphics on PSP. Not quite as good as Syphon Filter: LS, but it's up there for sure. The only thing I feel bad about this version missing is that nice effect of snowflakes casting shadows, that they do in Wii version. It's a small thing but it helps giving it some depth and dimensionality.

JDS 1977 said:

Swallow your pride :)

If anything, watch some gameplay videos. You'll see how it's done. Actually, if anything, IMO, it stays too strict to the dual-analog style of the analog doing strafing, then the other input (in this case the pointer), controlling looking and turning.

I'd personally prefer if the analog controlled turning. You could still use the pointer to control the flashlight and looking up and down. This game doesn't need strafing, IMO. It's not an FPS :)

But this is pointer stuff, not waggle. The waggle in this game is very complementary. The puzzles accommodate it very nicely. Outside of puzzles, you only use waggle to get the Nightmares off of you. But that part is very natural. He grab you on the left? Push him off by swinging to the left. It's natural, and it beats dual analog.

MiniDitka

DarkUSS said:
Some differences are rather peculiar:

Are these two shots taken from the exact same point? If so, what happened to those colorful orbs in the PS2 version?

Yes. You can also see from the same spot the mushroom table is missing the stools. The PS2 has less detail than the Wii version but still looks pretty good.

DarkUSS said:
Wow, it looks like the statue can transform into different shapes! Spooky! :lol

Yep, I've gotten many different statues in my multiple playthroughs.

SlipperySlope said:
. Outside of puzzles, you only use waggle to get the Nightmares off of you. But that part is very natural. He grab you on the left? Push him off by swinging to the left. It's natural, and it beats dual analog.

Totally agree. Using the wiimote and nunchuck to shake off the baddies gives you a sense of panic and the feeling you're actually being attacked which is something you don't get with pressing a button.

Top Bottom