• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

sphinx

the piano man
SlipperySlope said:
Swallow your pride :)

If anything, watch some gameplay videos. You'll see how it's done. Actually, if anything, IMO, it stays too strict to the dual-analog style of the analog doing strafing, then the other input (in this case the pointer), controlling looking and turning.

I'd personally prefer if the analog controlled turning. You could still use the pointer to control the flashlight and looking up and down. This game doesn't need strafing, IMO. It's not an FPS :)

But this is pointer stuff, not waggle. The waggle in this game is very complementary. The puzzles accommodate it very nicely. Outside of puzzles, you only use waggle to get the Nightmares off of you. But that part is very natural. He grab you on the left? Push him off by swinging to the left. It's natural, and it beats dual analog.

I think it's pointless to try to explain him. He hates the concept of the wii itself, this game requires motion controls, he is just not into them.

I will suggest people here to be careful with what they say, there have been threads where people wanting an exclusive game in the other consoles (Epic mickey, NBA jam) have been banned.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
sphinx said:
I will suggest people here to be careful with what they say, there have been threads where people wanting an exclusive game in the other consoles (Epic mickey, NBA jam) have been banned.

Mario Galaxy for PSN plz!!1

March is gonna be an expensive month; SH:SM for PS2, GoW III and FF XIII for PS3, vehicle excise duty, annual vehicle inspection etc. :|

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
SlipperySlope said:
Weird, I just got an ending a little different than anything on YouTube.

I did the Sleaze and Sirens route this time. The part that was different about this ending is right after Harry turns to stone, before the home video, there was one extra scene. It's of Chreryl leaving the Lighthouse. She slowly walks out and meets a blond girl. I don't know who the blond was. Lisa perhaps? Maybe her mother? Couldn't tell. Cheryl then hugs her for a few seconds. Then it goes to the home video part. Anyone else get this one? I wonder what triggered it. I feel like I'm the only one who's gotten this one :) Maybe because I was trying to be as sleazy as possible.

I got this as well, but it was in front of the ending where
Harry gets the bleep beat out of him by his wife. She's pretty abusive. Harry is a (failed) writer, but he's weak and soft. That piece Cheryl is returning to her mother, I assume patching things up

pakkit

Banned
Jeez, that's a bigger difference than I was expecting for visuals. I'd still recommend you pick up the game for whatever platform you prefer though, it's absolutely brilliant.

MiniDitka

John Harker said:
I got this as well, but it was in front of the ending where
Harry gets the bleep beat out of him by his wife. She's pretty abusive. Harry is a (failed) writer, but he's weak and soft. That piece Cheryl is returning to her mother, I assume patching things up
I'm on my 3rd playthough to try and get that ending(have all the others)

PS2 version looks surprisingly good. It's not on par with the graphics with SH3 but it still looks like an decent effort considering how far we are on the PS2 lifecycle. Will buy for cheap

NewFresh

Just beat it for the first time. Can not wait to get back to it as soon as i have some free time from all the games in my backlog. :D

Ending was epic btw.

MiniDitka said:
Yes. You can also see from the same spot the mushroom table is missing the stools. The PS2 has less detail than the Wii version but still looks pretty good.

Yep, I've gotten many different statues in my multiple playthroughs.

Totally agree. Using the wiimote and nunchuck to shake off the baddies gives you a sense of panic and the feeling you're actually being attacked which is something you don't get with pressing a button.

Haha, so true. I actually sometimes yell "Get the FUCK OFF OF ME!" while swinging the remote.

And when they grab me from behind, I swing the remote so hard up and behind my head that the cord hits me in the head :)

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Just beat it for the first time. Can not wait to get back to it as soon as i have some free time from all the games in my backlog. :D

Ending was epic btw.

Wii/PS2 or PSP? How long did it take? Just picked it up and I have a huge backlog as well and would like to knock this game out within 7-8 hours..

StuBurns

Banned
Was considering the PS2 version, but damn does it look like some crap in comparison. I'll wait till I possibly buy a Wii in the future.

Ridley327

red shoe paul said:
Wii/PS2 or PSP? How long did it take? Just picked it up and I have a huge backlog as well and would like to knock this game out within 7-8 hours..

You will definitely be able to get through it at least once in that timeframe.

GDGF

Soothsayer
MiniDitka said:
A few pics. Can you spot the differences :lol

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-004.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-021.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-006.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-027.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-010.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-030.jpg/IMG]
[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-008.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-028.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-013.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-031.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-014.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-033.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-016.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100120-042.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-017.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-038.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-018.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/Silent%20Hill/uvs100119-034.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the difference between an arcade game and a 16-bit home version from back in the day.

noneofexion said:
Help SH:SM owners! I'm on the fence about this game. I was considering the Wii version and very much enjoyed SH1, 2 and 3 - not so much 4.

I saw some mention the game feels pretty closed, no real town exploration. How does it compare to SH1? Is this true? I always thought SH1 was great in that, you could examine various areas and see creepy details in areas that really had nothing to do with the main game path. Though I'd imagine SH1 is still considered fairly linear.

Replayability is a big deal too, for some reason I found SH1 the most replayable. Do things change enough that you'll want to play more than, say, twice? Or is it mostly superficial?

I know these things have been discussed to some extent, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are now with a decent time after release.

It's similar to SH1 in that in SH1 they would circle a place on the map and you'd walk over there. The exploration is similar, except you don't have to worry about monsters most of the time. But there are a lot of little touches all over Silent Hill that you can appreciate, phone numbers to call, etc.

If you're really into replayability I could see playing it at least 3 times. I'm on my 2nd playthrough, and there are quite a few people in here playing it for their third or fourth times. The game is pretty short so you don't feel like it will consume your life to play it a few more times, and of course there are all the different endings to go for. Some of the changes are superficial but they're certainly more drastic than in other Silent Hill games, where it mostly just changes one cutscene or something. You'll notice changes all over the place in this game.

It's a well-told story and a very interesting game, and not frustrating. I'm a bit like you, in that I loved SH1 and SH2 (especially 2) and while I finished SH3, I was starting to get the warning signs about the franchise's future. SH4 was bad, and the series has been mostly dead to me since then. But this game, I'd put up there right after SH2 and SH1. I'm hoping it does well because with a bigger budget they could do a lot of things to build off of this game and make something really special.

red shoe paul said:

The game won't take you that long. The game is short, but begs of multiple playthroughs. It takes me like 5-6 hours to beat.

One thing that is a little odd is that I usually start getting a headache if I play the same game for more than 4 hours or so. But I've beaten this game twice, both on one run, and never got the headache.

Considering a 3rd run in the next day or two. I liked run #2. Busty cop cleavage :D

i just wanna say that the graphics for Silent Hill wii are really amazing. really impressed with the visuals and atmosphere, character interaction and music so far (this is coming from a huge fan of Silent Hill 2). i think this is by far the best looking wii game right now.

JDS 1977

Banned
Thanks for the responses of how it works on wii. We do own a wii, but mainly the wife uses it for wiifit, mario etc.

I just can't imagine trying to do manipulate stuff well or run from bad guys when I'm all flustered with the pointer. I have a hard enough time not fucking up my moves in BoomBlox, which is awesome by the way. We also don't have the HD cables for the Wii so it'd probably look crappy too.

I'm not trying to hate on the Wii if there was misunderstanding. It's just not my thing to control that way.

However if I do end up with a cheap/trade copy I'll give it a shot.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
JDS 1977 said:
Thanks for the responses of how it works on wii. We do own a wii, but mainly the wife uses it for wiifit, mario etc.

I just can't imagine trying to do manipulate stuff well or run from bad guys when I'm all flustered with the pointer. I have a hard enough time not fucking up my moves in BoomBlox, which is awesome by the way. We also don't have the HD cables for the Wii so it'd probably look crappy too.

I'm not trying to hate on the Wii if there was misunderstanding. It's just not my thing to control that way.

It's pretty straightforward. It's also pretty forgiving in most cases. Also, buy the HD cables. They cost something like $10. It's worth it. You might even get your wife to give it a shot. It's not so complex as to cause all that much confusion...

JDS 1977 said:

i felt the same way about the pointer controls in the beginning because in silent hill wii you have to do constant running and evading against those demons in the demon regions. but u'll get used to it after several hours of play. the whole motion sensing controls really add to the tension of the game; u have to really **shrug** off those demons with the controls when they get hold of you. that's a good thing though... i mean you don't want to feel completely relaxed in a horror game :)

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
noneofexion said:
Help SH:SM owners! I'm on the fence about this game. I was considering the Wii version and very much enjoyed SH1, 2 and 3 - not so much 4.

I saw some mention the game feels pretty closed, no real town exploration. How does it compare to SH1? Is this true? I always thought SH1 was great in that, you could examine various areas and see creepy details in areas that really had nothing to do with the main game path. Though I'd imagine SH1 is still considered fairly linear.

Replayability is a big deal too, for some reason I found SH1 the most replayable. Do things change enough that you'll want to play more than, say, twice? Or is it mostly superficial?

I know these things have been discussed to some extent, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are now with a decent time after release.

It's not jumping from area to area like 4, but the town exploration is pretty linear. I'd compare it to the very beginning of Silent Hill 1 going to the alley the first time where the game won't allow you to explore different streets. No real exploration is probably my biggest disappointment with the game as that was something I loved originally with the series.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
SlipperySlope said:
I'd personally prefer if the analog controlled turning. You could still use the pointer to control the flashlight and looking up and down. This game doesn't need strafing, IMO. It's not an FPS :)

Speaking of controls, once small thing that annoys me with the game is having to constantly point the wiimote towards the screen. I usually play games relaxing on my coach (and wii games are actually perfect for that as long as they don't use pointer controls, since the wiimote and nunchuk are separated :p), but couldn't do so in SH: SM. I would actually prefer using dual analog because of that, being able to move around the flashlight with the wiimote doesn't really add much to me.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Kiriku said:
Speaking of controls, once small thing that annoys me with the game is having to constantly point the wiimote towards the screen. I usually play games relaxing on my coach (and wii games are actually perfect for that as long as they don't use pointer controls, since the wiimote and nunchuk are separated :p), but couldn't do so in SH: SM. I would actually prefer using dual analog because of that, being able to move around the flashlight with the wiimote doesn't really add much to me.

i still play wii mote pointer games on my couch.

I actually played MP trilogy lying sideways relative to the TV and with the wii mote lying across my chest pointing sideways....

and that is a game in which you are always pointing...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What the hell happened to the PS2 version? There's no excuse when even the Wii version doesn't look as impressive as Silent Hill 3. Seems like this is the ugliest Silent Hill game on the PS2 by far.

Still, I tried the PSP version today and came away super impressed. I don't know how in the hell they managed to squeeze such visuals out of that little machine, but damn, it's insane. It looks shockingly close to the Wii version in most areas. Very little detail is sacrificed and, really, the small screen hides any missing details. It's a fantastic conversion.

What surprises me is that the PSP version streams data more smoothly. In the Wii version, moving through doors causes an annoying stuttering effect as the game streams the data. It always looked jerky when moving through doors (especially during chase sequences). The PSP version, however, almost completely eliminates this issue. You'll still see minor stutters with some doorways, but most of them are much smoother. How odd...

I was also surprised to see effects like depth of field used on the PSP. The only other game where this actually showed up was Lemmings (for the backgrounds). I'm always surprised at what can be achieved on this little thing.

My mom just got a Wii like 3 weeks ago with Wii Fit Plus (her friend at work talked her into it). She then talked another friend of hers get a Wii with Wii Fit Plus, but all the local stores are sold out. I told her to get it off Amazon.

But anyway, here's the question. Her birthday is in February. I'm going to get her EA Sports Active, and Wii Sports Resort.

What I'm contemplating is bringing this game over to her place on her Birthday. I don't think she'd like it, but it's worth a try... I think. Perhaps she'd feel more comfortable watching me play it?

I don't expect her to like the control system during the chase parts. But I can do those. What I want to show her is the story and atmosphere. I really like the story in this game. So in that aspect it doesn't matter much who is actually playing.

Anyone here ever see a female playing this game? Any impressions?

While I'm quite impressed with the presentation of the PSP version, I fucking hate the chase segments. I gave the first one a few tries but I'm just really not interested at all in dealing with that. Maybe I'll try a different approach to experiencing the game. I was really looking forward to another Silent Hill :(

I dunno how it works in the PSP version, but on the Wii I found using the map a whole heckuva lot during chase segments made them a lot easier.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
While I'm quite impressed with the presentation of the PSP version, I fucking hate the chase segments. I gave the first one a few tries but I'm just really not interested at all in dealing with that. Maybe I'll try a different approach to experiencing the game. I was really looking forward to another Silent Hill :(

Did you get and use the flare? They're essential.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
game is pretty decent. Controls pretty well on PSP.

2m47iwl.jpg

2gx0e38.jpg

2jdrma8.jpg

239sag.jpg

144a2qe.jpg

Oni Jazar

Hearing about how good it is on the PSP makes me wonder if I should just get that or wait for some unforseen point in the future where I would happen to have a Wii. I really like the idea of controlling the flashlight with the Wii.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
dark10x said:
What surprises me is that the PSP version streams data more smoothly. In the Wii version, moving through doors causes an annoying stuttering effect as the game streams the data. It always looked jerky when moving through doors (especially during chase sequences). The PSP version, however, almost completely eliminates this issue. You'll still see minor stutters with some doorways, but most of them are much smoother. How odd...

Perhaps running the game from a memory stick makes a difference, or are you playing the UMD version?

Oni Jazar said:
Hearing about how good it is on the PSP makes me wonder if I should just get that or wait for some unforseen point in the future where I would happen to have a Wii. I really like the idea of controlling the flashlight with the Wii.

this is a really immersive atmospheric game. i seriously dont see how the PSP version can do it justice tbh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder how they achieved the flashlight effect on PSP? That was the one major visual weakness present in the PS2 SH games. They used a nasty per-vertex flashlight beam that lit surrounding triangles. It's an old method of lighting that looked pretty bad next to a good per-pixel flashlight beam. They method they are using on PSP is very impressive considering the hardware. I can't imagine how they pulled that off so effectively.

Then again, some other PSP games displayed similar effects. Resistance PSP, for instance, features a similar effect in dark areas. It's cool that they solved this problem for a platform incapable of shaders and the like.

Kiriku said:
Perhaps running the game from a memory stick makes a difference, or are you playing the UMD version?
Yeah, I'm using a memstick. I suspect the UMD would be slower.

Ridley327

I'm running it from a memory stick and there's still quite a few hitches with the streaming. It might be smoother than the Wii version in that regard, but I would have preferred it if they were gone entirely.

Really solid port, though it's not going to give the Wii version a run for its money anytime soon. The icing effect is so neutered on the PSP version and a lot of the puzzles don't have as nice an interface without the remote; it's really annoying to do any twisting with the nub. Controls go without saying, I think.

kinggroin

Banned
PSP screens actually look better than the PS2 ones. Chalk it up to the small screen or whatever, but I'd rather play that one (if the controls don't suck) over it's bigger brother.

Ridley327

Wasn't the game originally rumored as being for Wii and PSP only? I'm honestly not surprised the PSP game turned out so well since Climax already has ample experience with the hardware. There are a few times when the framerate gets really nasty (the forest nightmare sequence definitely didn't improve :lol ), but the game is definitely pushing the little sucker hard.

dark10x said:
They method they are using on PSP is very impressive considering the hardware. I can't imagine how they pulled that off so effectively.
They accomplished similar visuals in Silent Hill Origins on the PSP. The lighting effects in that game were just as impressive.

Zen

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Wasn't the game originally rumored as being for Wii and PSP only? I'm honestly not surprised the PSP game turned out so well since Climax already has ample experience with the hardware. There are a few times when the framerate gets really nasty (the forest nightmare sequence definitely didn't improve :lol ), but the game is definitely pushing the little sucker hard.

I wouldn't be surprised in the PS2 version is a half step away from being an obvious port of the PSP version. I do remember it was rumored to be Wii/PSP only back in the day.

hellclerk

Ridley327 said:
No, it was for all 3 platforms from the moment it was unveiled. A PS2 port is an obvious addition to the PSP version, just like with Origins.

eXistor

I finally got around to playing this for the first time today. I just finsihed it. I guess that tells you I liked the game, right?

I really liked it in fact, save for a few issues. I just sort of glanced through the last few pages of this thread, but it seems I am not alone in hating the nightmare sequences, they really, really blow. Either put a few enemies in the exploration parts to up the scare factor or just drop the enemies altogether. The game felt really different from earlier SH's and a bit more like Another Code: R. Obviously AC is very candy-colored etc., but the adventure part feels same-ish, but AC did it better in making it feel like a "choose your own adventure"-style book. This game is obviously a reboot, so why not go all the way and make SH into a mystery novel, but in gameform.

The game is extremely lacking in the scares department, in fact this might be the least scary horror game I have ever played. The only dread I felt was from knowing another one of those silly nightmare sequences was about to come again...damn I hated those.

But other than that I really loved it, the atmosphere was really nice, actually more pleasant than scary to be honest. The whole psychological profiling business was pretty fun and I'm interested to see how the game would play with different choices. The environments were nice and I liked how the puzzles were integrated. The game is very easy though, I don't see anyone getting stuck in this game.

I'd go as far as to say this is the only SH I found really fun to play through. SH 1, 2 and 3, are still the best games, but I don't really see myself playing through those again. SH 2 is still the most unpleasant game I have ever played (I mean that in a good way) and I don't want to ruin that feeling by playing through the game again, thus seeing the game as precisely that: a game. This however is a fun game to play through an I see myself going through it again in the future.

If they'd ditch the enemies next time and polish the game some more, then we could have a real cool new direction for Silent Hill. I mean the old-style quality isn't gonna come back, so we might as well embrace the new.

Kevtones

Personally, I think the ending alone
lets the player know the game wasn't meant to be scary, just unnerving. It takes you on a ride that's oddly familiar but different enough to be entirely weird and foreign. The strength of it all is the consistency in the vision and I can't recall any game in recent memory with better unified storytelling.

MiniDitka

Anyone got any tips on how to get the Wicked and Weak ending? I've been unsuccessful three times and before I go for a fourth would appreciate any info that will improve my chances.

hellclerk

MiniDitka said:
Anyone got any tips on how to get the Wicked and Weak ending? I've been unsuccessful three times and before I go for a fourth would appreciate any info that will improve my chances.
be very positive in your answers. avoid eye contact or breast contact, but in certain sessions
such as the blame one, blame the king, if that doesn't work, try the same thing except with the daughter. I'm not entirely sure, just be passive and kind.

MiniDitka

doomed1 said:
be very positive in your answers. avoid eye contact or breast contact, but in certain sessions
such as the blame one, blame the king, if that doesn't work, try the same thing except with the daughter. I'm not entirely sure, just be passive and kind.
Time to start over :lol

Top Bottom