• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

XenoRaven

I'm a newborn player who barely got 50 games in my history and I already matched twice against premade stack of clan with fancy frame on the loading screen god card. Is the matchmaking have been a mess since long ago or just lately?

Also I'm afraid to play with all free gods weekend right now. Makes people picking behavior more erratic I assume.
It's always like this.

I've played only a handful of Conquest games and Smite doesn't give a single fuck. I get the normal teams I usually get against a team that knows what they're doing, but I can't carry in Conquest because I don't know what I'm doing. I just played against a team that was obviously communicating and working together. Ganking, baiting, etc. I had to Supp and got He Bo ADC that fed his fucking brains out. The game just puts you in unwinnable matches and I don't know why.

I'm a newborn player who barely got 50 games in my history and I already matched twice against premade stack of clan with fancy frame on the loading screen god card. Is the matchmaking have been a mess since long ago or just lately?

Also I'm afraid to play with all free gods weekend right now. Makes people picking behavior more erratic I assume.

A frame means nothing. Most frames are bought so are an indication of nothing.
Them being in a clan also tells you little. They could be talking between each other but individually they might be worse players than you (that is how the system tries to handle groups).

I'd say try Gods, them being free now is a great chance for you to get some hands on experience and see if any of them appeal to you. I'm not sure how other people's picks should affect you that much.

XenoRaven

At this point I would get more quality matches if they threw Elo away and just matched me with people completely randomly. This shit is ridiculous.

This type of matchmaking seems to be so popular with developers now and I don't know if they ever considered if it actually made for fun games or not. In my experience, it typically doesn't.

That hot balanced matchmaking. In case you were wondering, yes, the Fenrir did spam Woohoo and You Rock.

Wow, that Fenrir was so good he didn't even need any items! /s

I don't know what's worse, whether being paired with people that clearly don't know what they're doing against basically pros, or being paired with decent people, being in the lead by quite a lot, then having two of them DC and trying to race to win before the enemy team can overtake you. Had that happen in my last arena match and it was rather demoralizing.

XenoRaven

Wow, that Fenrir was so good he didn't even need any items! /s

I don't know what's worse, whether being paired with people that clearly don't know what they're doing against basically pros, or being paired with decent people, being in the lead by quite a lot, then having two of them DC and trying to race to win before the enemy team can overtake you. Had that happen in my last arena match and it was rather demoralizing.
Being paired with idiots against pros bothers me more. They just put me in a Conquest game with all randoms with me at highest SGS score against a five-man party, three of which were in a clan together, and more than one of them had higher SGS score than me. We got completely decimated and people wouldn't surrender.

That isn't matchmaking. Like, that's not how fucking matchmaking is supposed to work. I can accept that occasionally people DC. It happens. This shit is DESIGNED to make fair matches and it fails so incredibly often that I find it hard to believe that there isn't a better way.

gogosox82

Here's what I don't understand about mm. Why is everything have to be a secret? Why can't I know my MMR? Yes, smiteguru gives you an elo score but those numbers are bs and just basically guessing at the number. Why does Hi Rez have this need to hide that from me? I can understand not wanting to broadcast everyone's MMR because not everyone plays to get better and are just looking to have fun and they don't want to be insulted by having a bad MMR but that shit already happens anyway. If people want to be dicks and insult people about their play, they will find a way. I don't think its justifiable to hide something that important from the players who want to get better just out of fear of bm. Just give us a way to see our personal MMR, the real one not the fake bs one smiteguru has. What I do with the information is up to me after that but give us the option to see that stuff. And trueskill just has not worked at all for smite for mm. They've had to tweak and change it so many times this season. I really hope they are looking at using a different algorithm for mm next season.

Malrend

This turned out to be a productive weekend of "smiting the heathens" and such.

Finally got Ao Kuang to Rank X, got a good amount of other gods to Rank II and III, and got Camazotz to rank I, so that my overall Mastery level matches the amount of gods again.

XenoRaven

Just played a game where Loki built OD Bow. I've seen some wacky stuff in this game, so I'm going to ask before I judge too harshly.

Is that a thing people do? Because it seems awful on Loki.

OH SHIT! In the same game there was Sylvanus that quit playing but would just move around so he wouldn't get disconnected for being idle. I reported him, and as I was typing this I got a message that said an action had been taken against a player I reported. Sweet justice.

Hi-Rez have been teasing a new game for a little bit and will be releasing the info on it tomorrow. From this picture it does seem to be Smite related;

CvEBnKjWgAATNdS.jpg

People have suggested it is a mobile game or possibly a Hearthstone-like game involving Smite Gods.

Pic is from here: https://twitter.com/ScottGandhi/status/788413187515383808

XenoRaven

The best part about the clan feature on consoles is that it's now much easier for me to tell when the game fucks me over by giving me a team of randoms against a 3-5 members of a clan who play together all the time; which seems to be roughly 50-60% of the time.

DeviantBoi

So I only just unlocked Ranked games (3v3 and 1v1).

I don't care much for ranked, but I do care about skins as rewards. I see that there's an Ah Puch one for winning 20 ranked games.

I think I might go for that.

What other rewards are easily obtained in ranked play?

So I only just unlocked Ranked games (3v3 and 1v1).

I don't care much for ranked, but I do care about skins as rewards. I see that there's an Ah Puch one for winning 20 ranked games.

I think I might go for that.

What other rewards are easily obtained in ranked play?

It's an AMC skin not Ah Puch, looks like this:

When the season ends, Jan/Feb, if you are in gold rank or higher you will be given a free skin and if you are in platinum or higher you will get the same skin and a border.

The skin you get changes every year (the ones from previous years are now unobtainable). The past two are:

We should be getting info on this years ranked skin soon.

Shengar

Haven't played lately, and I'm kinda want to try Joust (since the training quest asked me to do it). What's the chance of me bumping into 2-man team?
(playing with less people makes me kinda paranoid that I'm going to be flamed)

Haven't played lately, and I'm kinda want to try Joust (since the training quest asked me to do it). What's the chance of me bumping into 2-man team?
(playing with less people makes me kinda paranoid that I'm going to be flamed)

At lower levels you're less likely to meet premades (from my early experience).

Honestly, if you're gonna play and online pvp game like smite you gonna need to be able to look past people bming you. It's going to happen and some point.

If you're on PC you can press tab then click the little speaker icon next to peoples name, then you won't hear their taunts or vgs spam.
Also you can type /dnd into the chat and you won't receive pms from anyone (type /dnd again to receive pms again.
I am not aware if this can be done on consoles or how to do it.

Tormentula is cool looking but it's definitely going to be one of those skins where people question why it's 500 gems and taking up an Odyssey slot.

Prototype looks awesome though.

Prototype Scylla will be mine. That Arachne skin is a pass though. I'm not a fan of most Tier 2 skins (not sure if that is one but it looks like it).

DeviantBoi

I'm crunching the numbers to see how much I need to spend to get the T5 skin if I do all of the quests...

7 ranks (from quests)
14 ranks (from purchases)

6 250-gem items
8 500-gem skins

5500 total gems

If I wait till Black Friday for a gem sale, I could get what I'm missing for around $40.

That's not bad at all.

I just need to pick the eight skins... not a fan of all of the gods.

Definitely Agni (already purchased) and Camazotz.

Hopefully there will a gem event soon... I think last year's Halloween event had gems for 5 FWOTD. Maybe this year will be the same.

DeviantBoi

It's an AMC skin not Ah Puch, looks like this:

When the season ends, Jan/Feb, if you are in gold rank or higher you will be given a free skin and if you are in platinum or higher you will get the same skin and a border.

The skin you get changes every year (the ones from previous years are now unobtainable). The past two are:

We should be getting info on this years ranked skin soon.

If you get to gold, do you get demoted if you stop playing ranked?

If you get to gold, do you get demoted if you stop playing ranked?

If you stop playing you will lose elo and go back to 0 eventually but will not get demoted from the rank you are currently in.

Everyone had to redo promotions at the start of the season, I did my duel promotions, was put in Gold 3 and haven't touched it since. I'm still in Gold 3.

Also, if you want to know how much gems/how many quests you'll need for a certain skin in the Odyssey someone has already done a guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/5654y7/players_guide_to_spending_as_little_as_possible/

K.Sabot

HiRez apparently announcing a new game at the end of the Smite patch notes today? Interesting.

bets on if its a smite card game

I haven't played Atlas Reactor but it seems to be very similar to Duelyst in my mind.
I just saw the video and yeah it seems like a bit of Duelyst or Card Hunter.

I'm pretty hyped. I love Smite. I love CCGs. I love turn based strategy games. I'm ready to buy $100 in gems for this game.

I just saw the video and yeah it seems like a bit of Duelyst or Card Hunter.

I'm pretty hyped. I love Smite. I love CCGs. I love turn based strategy games. I'm ready to buy $100 in gems for this game.

I'm actually wondering how they're gonna make money from this game.
They stated they want all current Smite gods to be playable, maybe a god pack like thing?
Paying for cards? I can't really see skins being on the same kind of level that they are in Smite.

DeviantBoi

I hit the most soul-crushing losing streak ever.

I just wanted 2 FWOTD for that Odyssey quest... took me almost 13 matches to do it.

Figured it was gonna happen... I had had a couple of great victories on Monday... didn't know the matchmaking gods would punish me so bad for that.

Nephilim

Banned
Checked the OP for usernames/clans/info etc and couldn't find anything. Anyone on pc that likes to play anything but conquest hit me up.

Checked the OP for usernames/clans/info etc and couldn't find anything. Anyone on pc that likes to play anything but conquest hit me up.

Feel free to add me, ThirtyFour07 in-game.

it may be better to play solo for a bit though if you're low level, you don't really want to get dragged into higher level games.

DeviantBoi

Tried my luck with two rolls of the Gentleman's Chest.

And, yup, they rolled just as you would imagine... Solar Sentinal Ra and Stormbringer Zeus.

Oh, well... next time it's 50% off I'll give it another pair of rolls... bound to get something good.

Tried my luck with two rolls of the Gentleman's Chest.

And, yup, they rolled just as you would imagine... Solar Sentinal Ra and Stormbringer Zeus.

Oh, well... next time it's 50% off I'll give it another pair of rolls... bound to get something good.

Overall its not too bad getting those skins for cheap. They are arguably the 2 worst skins in the game and Hi-Rez seems to throw them into a lot of chests.
Having them means you will have a better chance at good rolls in a lot of future chests.

So I've played a few games with Camazotz now. I like him but I can't hit his abilities to save my life. I guess I need more practice.

Is there a generally accepted order for his skills yet?

I was thinking 2>3>1 but I could also see it being 2>1>3.

DeviantBoi

So I've played a few games with Camazotz now. I like him but I can't hit his abilities to save my life. I guess I need more practice.

Is there a generally accepted order for his skills yet?

I was thinking 2>3>1 but I could also see it being 2>1>3.
Sonic, bats, and leap is what I've seen. Dunno the numbers.

Bizukah

Neo Member
I've never never never been able to get into the competitive scene with SMITE. I tried once or twice and it was just awful, I felt like I was letting my team down, but i'm not that bad at the game.

I'll just stick to Arena and Siege...

XenoRaven

I started thinking about how I react to certain games where I blame my teammates for losses. I thought maybe I need to start looking internally at how I can better help my teammates succeed and what I can do outside of simply individual fights that I can do to carry my team to victory. Maybe, all this time it's just been a me problem.

Cvh1OjWWcAAyNp6.jpg

Oh. Well GG then Hi Rez. Sick matchmaking.

I've never never never been able to get into the competitive scene with SMITE. I tried once or twice and it was just awful, I felt like I was letting my team down, but i'm not that bad at the game.

Indignate is right (don't tell him I said that).

If you read the reddit often times they will say how every mode but conquest is a casual mode but this is just bollocks.
If you're not a pro and making money off the mode then you're playing it casually. Talking down to someone cause of the mode they choose to play is stupid.

Find the mode you like playing and go with it. It's not a big deal if that happens to be conquest or motd.
If you feel like you do want to learn more about conquest I'd suggest watching some streams or youtube vids, Incon would be a great place to go looking.

XenoRaven

I've been playing Smite for over a year and I'm total shit at Conquest. I think the only role I could conceivably play is ADC but I never get to.

Earlier this year I was inspired to try solo lane play with Tyr by a streamer I follow. It was basically at the height of Bellona solo meta. I faced a Bellona every time and every time I got completely wrecked. I even tried going into ranked because I thought that maybe the game wouldn't use my MMR from casuals to match me with people in ranked and I STILL got destroyed.

I tried my hand at Conquest again last week and ended up in the jungle on Thor. I had positive KDA but I still had a really time farming and ended up way behind.

It's a tough mode and only losers who like feeling superior to people over things that literally don't matter are going to give you shit for not playing it.

gogosox82

Just because you play conquest doesn't mean your competitive. It just means you play conquest which is barely even competitive.

Bizukah

Neo Member
I've been playing Smite for over a year and I'm total shit at Conquest. I think the only role I could conceivably play is ADC but I never get to.

Earlier this year I was inspired to try solo lane play with Tyr by a streamer I follow. It was basically at the height of Bellona solo meta. I faced a Bellona every time and every time I got completely wrecked. I even tried going into ranked because I thought that maybe the game wouldn't use my MMR from casuals to match me with people in ranked and I STILL got destroyed.

I tried my hand at Conquest again last week and ended up in the jungle on Thor. I had positive KDA but I still had a really time farming and ended up way behind.

It's a tough mode and only losers who like feeling superior to people over things that literally don't matter are going to give you shit for not playing it.

I just feel like there's a whole market i'm not tapping, ya know? I mean i've spent so much money on this game, and all I play are like 2 or 3 gamemodes, not ranked or conquest or anything like that. Idk, maybe i'm overtthinking it. What mode do you usually play? haha

XenoRaven

I just feel like there's a whole market i'm not tapping, ya know? I mean i've spent so much money on this game, and all I play are like 2 or 3 gamemodes, not ranked or conquest or anything like that. Idk, maybe i'm overtthinking it. What mode do you usually play? haha
I play Clash or Arena solo, then Joust, Siege, Arena, or Clash with friends, depending on how many are online.

I used to do Assault all the time until it broke my will.

Top Bottom