• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

DeviantBoi

Just started playing smite a few days ago. I tried it before on PC, but couldn't get into it.Tried it again on the PS4 and i'm loving it. Plays really well with a controller.

As a beginner, Neith is really OP! :D
Neith was my first diamond.

If you continue playing, get the nurse skin for her.

Malrend

Erlang Shen Monster Trainer skin for the Odyssey:

Smite_ErlangShen_MonsterTrainer.jpg

It is glorious!

Just started playing smite a few days ago. I tried it before on PC, but couldn't get into it.Tried it again on the PS4 and i'm loving it. Plays really well with a controller.

As a beginner, Neith is really OP! :D

You can play it with a controller on PC, that's how I play and I have no issues winning. :D The game even supports it natively, although the menus, including in-game shop, must be navigated with the mouse.

Of course, the PS4 port is pretty much perfect, so it's your choice. I only play on PC so the missus can play on her laptop too.

Malrend

Well, just reading Ne Zha's lore would solve the issue of believing him to be a girl.
Although I guess I had the added bonus of knowing his legend prior to picking up Smite.

Mastery skin rework for Ao Kuang is fantastic, although I had hoped to reach Rank X with him before it came to be.

The schedule on the season ticket has been cleaned up by removing all the splits that have been completed.

There is also a new split, the LATAM one, to vote for. Khaos Latin Gamers reached Worlds last year so they're probably a good choice to pick in the matchups. Out side of that though I have no idea who is good.

Well, just reading Ne Zha's lore would solve the issue of believing him to be a girl.
Although I guess I had the added bonus of knowing his legend prior to picking up Smite.

I know very little Chinese mythology (for obvious reasons Roman, Greek and Norse mythologies are much better known here in Europe), although I was tipped he was a guy simply because of his appearance in SMT / Persona, where he's referred by his Japanese name of Nata or Nata Taishi:

Nata.png

You can play it with a controller on PC, that's how I play and I have no issues winning. :D The game even supports it natively, although the menus, including in-game shop, must be navigated with the mouse.

Of course, the PS4 port is pretty much perfect, so it's your choice. I only play on PC so the missus can play on her laptop too.

Playing on the PC with a controller is kinda uncomfortable with my setup, much rather play on my big screen. Just glad i gave it another chance, as it's really a good game.

brian!

Hey what would you guys say is the quickest way to get an account lvl 7 (like do different modes give diff exp., etc.)? Trying to rush a buddy through so we can do the pve mode

Hey what would you guys say is the quickest way to get an account lvl 7 (like do different modes give diff exp., etc.)? Trying to rush a buddy through so we can do the pve mode

You're best off runnning the tutorial as it takes you straight to lv5 and is quite quick too do as well.

After that arena is probably your best bet.

Demoskinos

This new mode is wrecking my shit. Keep getting groups where we get to round 5 but never can get the win so I can get my free chest. D:

Man, I'm really trying to hold off on buying gems until there's a sale but these Odyssey skins are really freaking nice. Already bought the Susano one with some gems I had laying around.

Also is Ninja Tabi worth picking up over Warrior Tabi for Hunters and other AA gods now with the buff?

This new mode is wrecking my shit. Keep getting groups where we get to round 5 but never can get the win so I can get my free chest. D:

What kind of team comp are you usually running as there are a certain small subset of Gods that do incredibly well in this mode?

Man, I'm really trying to hold off on buying gems until there's a sale but these Odyssey skins are really freaking nice. Already bought the Susano one with some gems I had laying around.

Also is Ninja Tabi worth picking up over Warrior Tabi for Hunters and other AA gods now with the buff?

You have until January to buy the skins so unless you need them now it won't hurt to hold off until later.

Ninja Tabi are very good right now and certainly a good pickup on aa based gods. Even hunters that have a small mana pool/high mana costs can pick them up although I would avoid them on Gods with an attack speed steroid, e.g. AMC, Artemis.

Navid

Keep getting groups where we get to round 5 but never can get the win so I can get my free chest. D:
Managed to complete round 5 with a group and instantly went, "yep, that's me done..." in my own mind. No way I will ever get anywhere near round 25. :D

Using Ninja Tabi on all my hunters now... Transcendence into Ninja Tabi is just too good for me to look elsewhere. The only hunters I'm currently not building Transcendence on are Artemis/Apollo and even with them I still build Ninja Tabi.

Malrend

I know very little Chinese mythology (for obvious reasons Roman, Greek and Norse mythologies are much better known here in Europe), although I was tipped he was a guy simply because of his appearance in SMT / Persona, where he's referred by his Japanese name of Nata or Nata Taishi:

Nata.png

I'm European myself, just always had an interest in various Asian mythologies.

Also..
Mastery reworks and Steampunk Ao are also glorious.
Steampunk Ao seems to be played a bit safe, keeping his current colour scheme. Cool nonetheless.

Got interested with this game, so where's to start?

You're probably best off doing the tutorial until lv5 as it will give you the basics of a moba.

Once you've done that you have a few options. There are different modes that all take the basics of mobas in different directions.
I'd say try them out and find out which one you like the most. The last numbers which we were given (it was a while ago though) put assault and arena as the two most played modes.
Keep in mind that conquest is the traditional moba mode (most like LoL/Dota 2) and is the one that all the gods and items are balanced around. It's also the one that is used in the pro scene.

In terms of which gods to use you have 5 free ones and a rotation of another 5 (this changes every week or 2, can't remember which). From those 10 you will have 2 of each role so you should be able to get a decent idea of which role you prefer.
As a quick rundown:

hunter-lategame auto attack based physical god
mage-lategame ability based magical god
assassin-kinda varied actually, generally good damage, can be built to be a bit tanky, high mobility
warrior-tanky frontliner, okay damage, decent cc
guardian-high defense, frontline, high cc

As you play you will gain favour, this will allow you to unlock other gods (and certain skins). If you want to put down some money the god pack is great deal as it gives you very god that has ever been released or ever will be for one price. If you decided to buy it later you will be given back any favour you spent on gods.
I'd say be sure you intend to stick with the game though before you buy it.

Feel free to ask any specific questions here though.

Shengar

You're probably best off doing the tutorial until lv5 as it will give you the basics of a moba.

Once you've done that you have a few options. There are different modes that all take the basics of mobas in different directions.
I'd say try them out and find out which one you like the most. The last numbers which we were given (it was a while ago though) put assault and arena as the two most played modes.
Keep in mind that conquest is the traditional moba mode (most like LoL/Dota 2) and is the one that all the gods and items are balanced around. It's also the one that is used in the pro scene.

In terms of which gods to use you have 5 free ones and a rotation of another 5 (this changes every week or 2, can't remember which). From those 10 you will have 2 of each role so you should be able to get a decent idea of which role you prefer.
As a quick rundown:

hunter-lategame auto attack based physical god
mage-lategame ability based magical god
assassin-kinda varied actually, generally good damage, can be built to be a bit tanky, high mobility
warrior-tanky frontliner, okay damage, decent cc
guardian-high defense, frontline, high cc

As you play you will gain favour, this will allow you to unlock other gods (and certain skins). If you want to put down some money the god pack is great deal as it gives you very god that has ever been released or ever will be for one price. If you decided to buy it later you will be given back any favour you spent on gods.
I'd say be sure you intend to stick with the game though before you buy it.

Feel free to ask any specific questions here though.
I'm not stranger to MOBA, been playing the original DotA since I was a kid lol
I wonder if there's similarity in terminology like physical/magical attack, and the such. Also, does the game have bot? Feels I don't want straight jumped into the vs human game considering how usually rough the moba community is.

Malrend

I wonder if there's similarity in terminology like physical/magical attack, and the such. Also, does the game have bot? Feels I don't want straight jumped into the vs human game considering how usually rough the moba community is.

Yes, there is Physical and Magical attack stats.
Although you can only buy equipment that gives Physical Power if you're playing a physical god, and can only buy equipment that gives Magical Power if you're playing a magical god.

You're forced to play against bots until you reach account level.. 7, I believe.
So yes, the game has bots. Just select Co-op VS. AI when you choose modes.

I'm not stranger to MOBA, been playing the original DotA since I was a kid lol

Ah apologies, can never be sure.

But anyway Malrend has answered your question.

All these superhero movies mean comic stuff is hip and cool now.
I'm hip and cool.

Navid

Latest (v3.18) patch notes: https://www.smitegame.com/new-in-smite-rising-flames-3-18-pts-patch-notes/

Stand out changes for me:

- Reinforced Greaves/Shoes are now pretty useless again, after having been used by everyone (I've had assassins build them in my games) now they can go back to being used by no one.

- Cupid has gone from being secretly good to now just being really good, as a fan of playing him the changes to Heart Bomb and especially his Flutter seem crazy, now not only do you have a Hunter who is very potent in terms of damage dealing abilities but also can out-trade you with basic attacks thanks to this attack speed boost.

Man, I know Raijin was overtuned a bit but they're kind of gutting him there no?

The damage on his 3-2 combo was a bit high so this nerf isn't unwarranted but it is possible it's a bit far.

The problem with Raijin is the immunity frames on his 3. If he has his 3 up you cannot stop him. Other mages can be stopped in the middle of their escape but not Raijin.
Once he hits that button your attack may hit him before he teleports but it won't matter, he has a mini aegis.
That still remains and still keeps him strong.

Lol...my team is ahead in gold and kills and yet they surrendered because we were down one tower.

I hate this game sometimes.

Edit: Played 6 games of Assault tonight, other team has had Ah Puch on their team 4 times. Guess someone at Hi-Rez doesn't like me.

DeviantBoi

I hate it when I get disconnected right after the match finishes.

Happened twice today... and I was trying to go for that kills/assist quest... and because I was disconnected, I made no progress. I had 27 kills/assists in one, and it was lost.

Dunno if I even got FP for them cause I won both.

And yet they showed up in my match history.

Oh, well.

Also managed to get to level 6 in that new mode. Got the Odyssey chest and got the Janus VP. It's okay, I'll take it. I have a couple of skins for him, I think.

That Camazotz tease:

Just as I uninstalled Smite the other day they're gonna have a character I've been waiting for for ages, and finally we get a monstrous character and not just a human with a few animal parts (looking at you Ah Muzen Cab and Arachne...).

Plus, apparently after him
Thoth
is supposed to be coming, which is also one of the Gods I've been wanting since release.

Top Bottom