• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

U2NUMB

Yeah, expanding on what gogosox82 said, you need Mastery (gained by playing god--hover over the god's icon in the Gods list and it'll display your current mastery of it) to buy the Gold skin, and it'll display your stats regardless of what skin you're using. They're like 15K favor, I think.

If you're not going to buy the God unlock pack, you're probably better off saving your favor for buying new gods.

Great info guys.. I bought the Ultimate pack after playing the game once.. Playing far too much of it already.. very addictive. Love the stats the game has in the client, blows away other MOBA's

Have this downloaded, need to try it. How is it for new-ish MOBA players? I've been playing LoL for a few weeks now after only having previously played in beta, and they've done some pretty nice QoL stuff and make it better for players to ease into. Hoping Smite has some of that, too.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
In the client it says the skin is only available during limited times. I guess you'll have to wait for the next 4th.

damn it, was hoping to find a code or something on ebay... oh well!

Been playing as bee dude alot anyways. This game is alot of fun!

Real radiation is blue not green! :p

And only when underwater. That trope pisses me off to no end. Its called Cerenkov radiation people.

I like the ability effects and sounds but I do agree that basically just making him green is a little lazy. Then again, it's not like it's a 600 gem skin.

No, it isn't the fact that he glows, it is the fact that he glows green. That false information needs to die in a watery grave.

gogosox82

Have this downloaded, need to try it. How is it for new-ish MOBA players? I've been playing LoL for a few weeks now after only having previously played in beta, and they've done some pretty nice QoL stuff and make it better for players to ease into. Hoping Smite has some of that, too.

I've never played a moba before this and I thought it was really easy to get into. the tutorial explain the general idea of the game and has practice areas where you can try out different gods. I think the best part for me was the movement. It feels like I'm playing a tps which makes playing it a lot more comfortable for me since I've played a lot of those over the years.

No, it isn't the fact that he glows, it is the fact that he glows green. That false information needs to die in a watery grave.
Ah. Well I think part of it is that a Hulk style recolor had been a fan requested recolor for a long time now. So the radiation is more of a justification to do that (he also has purple pants and the Hulk was created by radiation).

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Man, there's really nothing more annoying as a jungler than all your lanes getting squashed and people are screaming at you every five seconds to bail them out. Just hold your own for a moment and I'll drop on by when I can, promise. :[

On a related note, I've done a 180 on Kali. Wasn't feeling her much at all when I started jungling, but yo, once you get up and running, it's so satisfying just shredding people with that attack speed.

Aaron

Kali is very dependent on what kind of start you get. I've been utterly useless as her, and I also won a siege game in eight minutes with a Neith as backup. Our other teammates were losing their lane, but it didn't matter. By the time the other team threw all four guys at us, me and Neith were unstoppable.

Dunlop

Trying to learn one role a time, almost have Ra (center lane) to mastery level 1 and then I will switch but....

What is the deal with people going AFK? Keep joining matches where peope afk out a minute in and we are screwed for the whole 30-40 minute match. There is now way to kick them?

Xyber

Trying to learn one role a time, almost have Ra (center lane) to mastery level 1 and then I will switch but....

What is the deal with people going AFK? Keep joining matches where peope afk out a minute in and we are screwed for the whole 30-40 minute match. There is now way to kick them?

I don't see how kicking them would help out in any way? You can just surrender at 10 minutes if you don't want to keep playing a game with someone AFK. But kicking them would not change anything. You would still be 1 man down and no one would take his place.

Dunlop

I don't see how kicking them would help out in any way? You can just surrender at 10 minutes if you don't want to keep playing a game with someone AFK. But kicking them would not change anything. You would still be 1 man down and no one would take his place.

sorry I meant why do they afk, is experience still given?

Been in groups that tried to surrender but if even one person chooses no it does not pass

U2NUMB

I wonder if they could have a way to let people join games in progress and as a payoff double their XP and Worshipers. Seems they could find a way to attract some people to fill slots that are empty.

gogosox82

I asked this in chat but I was wondering how the matchmaking system works. Just finished playing against a guy who seemed to be new (and no he wasn't trolling or anything like that). Anyway, played Ymir and he bought no items and just kept running at us and spamming his abilites. I was killing this guy in like 3 auto attacks (I was playing Neith). I felt bad and just started ignoring him after killing him a few times. Too bad my teammates didn't. They just started trolling the guy (example was fenrir would just wait by the tower and when the guy would run up to attack, he'd ult and bring him into the well or buy the tower). Is Hi-rez addressing this or no? It seems sort of unfair that a new player would have to play against players who are I much higher level (I'm level 13 and the rest of the players seemed like they were at least that level or higher).

Liberty4all

Banned
Just curious, how is Hi-Rez handling the game? I'm not touching it after the way they abandoned Tribes, but just curious.

I played Tribes. They are handling it WAY better than they did Tribes ... In part because they are making lots of money I think. I don't think Tribes made them anything (they lost bucketloads on tribes).

Don't let your tribes experience stop you from trying out Smite ... The game has hit critical mass population wise that its going to be around for a long time.

Aaron

Smite has a working business model, unlike Tribes. I'd say they learned a lot from that failure. There also seems to be a ton of people playing, and a lot of them buy skins and such. I only bought the all gods pack, but it was well worth it. They could pull the servers down today, and I'd still be satisfied.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Just had a game against this Nu Wa, we got off to a good start against the rest of her team, but then she got her items up and running. Oh boy. She trashcanned us two team fights in a row and they were knocking on our Titan's doorstep. We took one messy fight and then made a dash down mid, won the game just as Nu Wa and her Scylla rezzed, server went down like ten seconds later.

Love matches like that.

Dunlop

Got my Ra to mastery level 1 and have the whole middle lane down pat.

What is the next noob friendly role I should do? Still trying to wrap my head around Moba's. watched a bunch of vids about jungler but do not comprehend they why yet: the buffs are temporary, if you get the same xp being near a kill...why not just push lanes all the time?

Valygar

I asked this in chat but I was wondering how the matchmaking system works. Just finished playing against a guy who seemed to be new (and no he wasn't trolling or anything like that). Anyway, played Ymir and he bought no items and just kept running at us and spamming his abilites. I was killing this guy in like 3 auto attacks (I was playing Neith). I felt bad and just started ignoring him after killing him a few times. Too bad my teammates didn't. They just started trolling the guy (example was fenrir would just wait by the tower and when the guy would run up to attack, he'd ult and bring him into the well or buy the tower). Is Hi-rez addressing this or no? It seems sort of unfair that a new player would have to play against players who are I much higher level (I'm level 13 and the rest of the players seemed like they were at least that level or higher).

A similar thing happened to me recently. I was on the same team, on assault, as a guy who was playing his 2nd game. I was bashing him thinking he just wanted to feed & lose fast, but when he said that I started to try to coach him. I'm level 25.

I do not know if it is because there is not enough people playing and so many modes, but I would expect better matchmaking based on how many people are watching the game on twitch.

What is the next noob friendly role I should do? Still trying to wrap my head around Moba's. watched a bunch of vids about jungler but do not comprehend they why yet: the buffs are temporary, if you get the same xp being near a kill...why not just push lanes all the time?

Are you playing conquest then? I would suggest to try the other modes, specially arena to try new gods. Also, this way you will get the "first victory of the day" and get more favor to buy new gods.

I always recommend mage as the more newbie friendly role. Some of my friends who use to play FPS have also done good as hunters. I would avoid guardian until you get a better idea of the game, and also assassin/jungler (you need to know who you can gank and how to do the jungling). Maybe you can try a easy warrior, like hercules/vamana. If yo go Guardian (it is good against noobs), the hades or ares combo is easy to learn.

Although this game rewards for pushing, since the enemy gets no money if the tower kills a minion, jungling gives you separate EXP and gold from your lane friends. This way, if you leave a lane for only one god and you go jungle, both of them will get more gold and exp, since there are more sources of "income".

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
time to summon the rng luck god shine upon me this day for the chests shall be unlocked

went from only have 1 ward to now having all of them :p then i got the ullr survivor skin, guan yu convention skin and derpules other then that i got some side skins wrangler, almighty, olympian, stargazer, wrangler, space monkey, blind vengeance, digi-mir, obsidian shard

edit:hmmm im only missing 15 things the urge to buy more chests to finish it off is strong

gogosox82

Try some of the other game modes besides conquest. I honestly have only played a few games in conquest. I found it to be pretty boring and people rage at you (at least they did at me) for the silliest of reasons. Try either arena or assault (these are the two I play). They are pretty fun and its hard for people rage at you especially in assault since its all random and you may not have played the god at all before. For gods, I would try another mage like Poseidon. I always found him to be easy to learn. If your looking for a different kind of god, maybe try Ares or Hades since they are pretty easy I've found.

U2NUMB

Try some of the other game modes besides conquest. I honestly have only played a few games in conquest. I found it to be pretty boring and people rage at you (at least they did at me) for the silliest of reasons. Try either arena or assault (these are the two I play). They are pretty fun and its hard for people rage at you especially in assault since its all random and you may not have played the god at all before. For gods, I would try another mage like Poseidon. I always found him to be easy to learn. If your looking for a different kind of god, maybe try Ares or Hades since they are pretty easy I've found.

Exactly why I am avoiding conquest while I learn the game.. and I find both Assault and Arena very cool and more up my line of fun. Traditional MOBA gameplay is very technical and I get that but I hate letting down my team.

Liberty4all

Banned
Assault and Arena is all I play. They are shorter matches, and there is no meta to worry about.

I just can't stand the whining that goes on if you pick the "wrong" god meta wise in conquest.

I also can't stand the raging that happens when somebody sucks.

U2NUMB

Assault and Arena is all I play. They are shorter matches, and there is no meta to worry about.

I just can't stand the whining that goes on if you pick the "wrong" god meta wise in conquest.

I also can't stand the raging that happens when somebody sucks.

Well said... and I am so happy they have these types of games modes and from what I can tell they are popular in the game so they should be sticking around a while. Perhaps someone has the history of these modes but having them in the game is brilliant for those of us who like the idea of MOBA's (leveling up characters) but can not stand the meta or rage that often comes with it.

I have already converted or brought over 3 friends from LoL who plan on playing Smite a ton based on it being fresh.. while they still play a ton of LoL.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
think they did something with matchmaking think its going by elo or something now playing on a level 4 smurf and got matched against level 20s

Xyber

Just curious, how is Hi-Rez handling the game? I'm not touching it after the way they abandoned Tribes, but just curious.

Tribes probably would've been way more successful if they had offered the pack to buy everything from the start.

While Smite is a F2P game, I would just go in thinking it's a $30 game with a free trial. If you enjoy the game, just buy the god pack. You could grind for the in-game currency to unlock gods as well, but that will take a while.

Phades

Tribes probably would've been way more successful if they had offered the pack to buy everything from the start.
AKA not F2P. Quite a few folks shared that assessment, since the concept of the game revolves heavily around having options and not being locked into a single option.

This would be going beyond endless weapon clones (no idea why they thought trying to be like COD for tribes was a good idea), bullet spam effectiveness, and a general deviation from the source material in regard to health and recovery mechanics vs resource management.

FireSol

fuck!! they broke the matchmaking or I have no luck today. Sometimes difference between teams is so huge that its impossible to do anithing. Todays score in Arena 1W:4L

Dunlop

While Smite is a F2P game, I would just go in thinking it's a $30 game with a free trial. If you enjoy the game, just buy the god pack. You could grind for the in-game currency to unlock gods as well, but that will take a while.

ah so that is not a limited time special, I almost jumped on it but will wait to make sure I am still playing this in a week :p

Xyber

ah so that is not a limited time special, I almost jumped on it but will wait to make sure I am still playing this in a week :p

You can get it here http://www.hirezstudios.com/smite/nav/buy/ultimate-god-pack

The game is way more fun when you have more options to pick from than the current free rotation and whatever you have bought already.

--------------------------

Today's MOTD was really fun. Me and my friends only picked Nu Wa, whenever anyone in their team was at ~25% HP we all used the ult. Guaranteed kill every time until 2 of them figured out you can get aegis. But we all maxed out cooldown reduction and was able to use the ult faster than their aegis came back. Team fights were so easy, 12 golems and so much damage when we stunned them.

4 Nu Wa too OP, plz nerf.

But the current Nu Wa actually feels stronger than before.

Wow, for fun decided to drop 1k gems on chests. I got stuff for gods I play. Dark Whisperer AMC, Stormbringer Zeus, Stargazer Anubis, Agent Apollo, and the last was a ward skin (Apollo bobblehead) lol.

FireSol

In yesterday games for the firs time I saw Ares->Hadec combo. It hurts ALLOT!!! Plus if the team has Zeus or Ao Kuang is 100% death for everyone who cant escape.

Liberty4all

Banned
In yesterday games for the firs time I saw Ares->Hadec combo. It hurts ALLOT!!! Plus if the team has Zeus or Ao Kuang is 100% death for everyone who cant escape.

That is why, if you see ares on the enemy team, beads are a crucial first purchase in arena and assault if you don't have an ult that lets you escape.

It frustrates me to no end watching half my team get wiped ... The half that didn't buy beads.

On another note I'm starting to see Magi's Cloak being used alot more. Ruins my day when playing as Athena or Arachne.

FireSol

That is why, if you see ares on the enemy team, beads are a crucial first purchase in arena and assault if you don't have an ult that lets you escape.

It frustrates me to no end watching half my team get wiped ... The half that didn't buy beads.

Yeah, now I'll buy beads first instead of some other items. On a different note this CC not pisses me off like Loki, if your God have no escapes and no team mates are near you(even if they are) you dead! Im already scared when I see him in the game against me

It's pretty much what makes 3v3 stupid. Comps like that. Even with beads it's just stupid to have them do nothing until their ults are up and then wipe the other team.

Combat Blink+beads breaks it. Or a well timed aegis.

Yeah, now I'll buy beads first instead of some other items. On a different note this CC not pisses me off like Loki, if your God have no escapes and no team mates are near you(even if they are) you dead! Im already scared when I see him in the game against me

Just kill him better. lol

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
bought everything in the game chests no longer give me things from here on out everything will only cost me 200 gems
lo9eomo

q78qqa3

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
most likely around $500 have to check transaction log but thats with me buying the new god releases for my smurfs dont do that any more

Amneisac

I don't mean to make a big thing about it, because "video games" and all that, but that Nu Wa character design is pretty embarrassing.

I don't mean to make a big thing about it, because "video games" and all that, but that Nu Wa character design is pretty embarrassing.

After hearing their explanation, it makes sense why they changed it and why they changed it to that specifically. The Chinese were basically like "Lol. This character is cool looking but that's not NuWa." Apparently NuWa, being an ancient Chinese God, basically wore very little if anything at all. Like imagine if they put Jesus in the game and they dressed him in battle armor.

That said! They definitely could have toned down her rack and the underboob was probably unnecessary. Can't argue with that at all.

Top Bottom